PDA

View Full Version : huck playing with the badgers' heads?

moonpie23
11-28-2011, 11:22 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/harrison-barnes-status-in-doubt-for-uncs-game-against-wisconsin

-jk
11-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Time for a "James Brown" entrance?

-jk

OldPhiKap
11-28-2011, 11:31 PM
I doubt Roy is sandbagging here. If he would leave his team out on the floor without calling a time-out in the Vegas game, while Vegas ran off a helloriffic run to kill the Heels, in order "to teach them a lesson" -- he'll let them flounder without HB.

Plus, to be fair to Droopy Dogg, he doesn't strike me as much of a sandbaggger. I'll give him credit for that.

moonpie23
11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
well if HWNSNBM is out for the badgers game, he might be out of synch for saturday...

OldPhiKap
11-28-2011, 11:38 PM

-jk

Maybe Willis Reed? HB doesn't wear a cape (although he looks smashing in a banana suit).

dukeballboy88
11-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Wisconsin has a better chance if Barnes plays. I think he is overrated.

burnspbesq
11-29-2011, 12:00 AM

-jk

More likely a Willis Reed entrance.

Olympic Fan
11-29-2011, 12:08 AM
This is a classic Dean Smith maneuver. I can't tell you how many times a UNC star in the Smith era was questionable or doubtful then played and usually played well.

Since Roy was a Dean Smith protege, would not be surprised to see him using the same tactic.

shoutingncu
11-29-2011, 03:11 AM
well if HWNSNBM is out for the badgers game, he might be out of synch for saturday...

My thought is that those that do play against Bo Ryan's pace on Wednesday may be the ones out of synch for Saturday.

Lord Ash
11-29-2011, 06:38 AM
Man. Good ol'Roy... Always playing games.

He'll play. Obviously.

JasonEvans
11-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I dunno... in the grand scheme of things, this may be a somewhat meaningless game to UNC. I guess it could mean a #1 or #2 seed down the road but if Barnes is at all hurt and he plays and gets hurt even worse... that is something really serious for them.

Plus, they may want to see what Bullock and Hairston can do given a full game. Those dudes each seem like stud scorers waiting to bust out.

-Jason "I won't be totally shocked if he does not play" Evans

SilkyJ
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
This is a classic Dean Smith maneuver. I can't tell you how many times a UNC star in the Smith era was questionable or doubtful then played and usually played well.

Since Roy was a Dean Smith protege, would not be surprised to see him using the same tactic.

Maybe, but IIRC it wasn't a ploy in 2008 when Duke played UNC in their first matchup when Lawson had a bum ankle or something. Everyone on this board, myself included, thought he'd play even though Roy said he didn't think Lawson would. Link (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2008-02-04-4157601352_x.htm).

Its one data point, but its immediately where my mind went since I remembered thinking the same as you OF, and others, before that game. Turns out Roy wasn't sandbagging as Lawson didn't play, neither did Bobby Frasor who was also injured, and Quentin Thomas' 6 TOs led his team to an 89-78 loss in Chapel Hell (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1384241).

So net-net, who knows if he'll play. I guess that makes it even tougher on the badgers: have to prepare for him and without him, though given that style of play isn't likely to change it may be of little consequence in terms of prep.

devildeac
11-29-2011, 09:43 AM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/harrison-barnes-status-in-doubt-for-uncs-game-against-wisconsin

Hey, mp23, in your business, do you have by chance some very soft violin music playing in the distance for a very short period of time that we could listen to that we might properly express our sympathies for our beloved neighbors down the road?

OTOH, never mind. Not worth the effort or worry. Get well soon, HB. Your team needs you and I'd rather see y'all lose at full strength anyway. Twice this week as a matter of fact. :--))

MChambers
11-29-2011, 09:57 AM
In some respects, Barnes isn't that critical to Kerlina's success, at least in the short run, given that Hairston and Bullock are probably better suited as 3s than 2s. Haven't seen enough to know whether they can help with ballhandling, however.

In my view, UNC would be worse off without Marshall or Zeller, and probably Strickland (because he's by far their best perimeter defender -- arguably the only quick perimeter defender on the roster).

hurleyfor3
11-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Plus, to be fair to Droopy Dogg, he doesn't strike me as much of a sandbaggger. I'll give him credit for that.

It's pretty well established that he sandbags conference tournaments.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2011, 10:05 AM
It's pretty well established that he sandbags conference tournaments.

Yeah, but those don't matter.

I love the fact that now he's throwing the Rams Club fans under the bus. Ran out of players, I guess.

What a tool.

hurleyfor3
11-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but those don't matter.

Oh, right. And by extension, we all know the saying about what happens in Vegas.

COYS
11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
In some respects, Barnes isn't that critical to Kerlina's success, at least in the short run, given that Hairston and Bullock are probably better suited as 3s than 2s. Haven't seen enough to know whether they can help with ballhandling, however.

In my view, UNC would be worse off without Marshall or Zeller, and probably Strickland (because he's by far their best perimeter defender -- arguably the only quick perimeter defender on the roster).

UNC's greatest strength this year is, in my opinion, their defense. That has been true ever since Henson set foot on campus at Chapel Hill. Henson is the rock of their defense and erases so many of the mistakes that their perimeter defense makes. McAdoo is a very talented player, but if Henson were to go down, there is no one on the roster who can fill his shoes. Obviously, having anyone go down is a bad thing for any team. I hope Barnes is ok and gets back on the court in perfect health as fast as possible. That being said, I really do think Henson is the most irreplaceable player on their team. He is a game changer on defense with his leaping ability, quickness relative to virtually all other college 4's and 5's, and ridiculous reach.

Also, on a side note, Barnes really hasn't been any more efficient this year than he was last year. He's scoring more, but making fewer free throws. Also, his passing and rebounding are mediocre at best. He's a very talented player and has a ton of potential. However, at this point, when his jump shot is not on (and we know it can be deadly), he's not a particularly efficient offensive weapon. I wouldn't sleep on him, of course, but he is definitely a long way from living up to the NPOY hype.

OldPhiKap
11-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Oh, right. And by extension, we all know the saying about what happens in Vegas.

"I don't give a @#$% about Vegas."

-- Roy (more or less)

Josephd0
11-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Carolina has a ton of talent, and that's why HB hasn't flat out taken over games. He did last year when they needed him to. I don't know if he will play or not on Wednesday, but I think he must have been hurting pretty bad in their loss. This dude scares me. I think he's unguardable on the college level. I have no idea who we are going to put on him when Duke plays the Tarholes. All that being said, Marshall is the piece Carolina can't do without. Look at the difference in the way they played last year from when LD III was starting and when Marshall started. It's night and day when he isn't in the game. If Marshall goes down this year it will have as big an effect as when Duke lost Irving, maybe even more because they don't have Nolan waiting to take over. I'm not saying he's as good an overall player as Irving, but he means as much or more to this Tarheel team.

Duvall
11-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Carolina has a ton of talent, and that's why HB hasn't flat out taken over games. He did last year when they needed him to. I don't know if he will play or not on Wednesday, but I think he must have been hurting pretty bad in their loss. This dude scares me. I think he's unguardable on the college level.

Why?

moonpie23
11-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey, mp23, in your business, do you have by chance some very soft violin music playing in the distance for a very short period of time that we could listen to that we might properly express our sympathies for our beloved neighbors down the road?

this (http://sadtrombone.com/) might be more appropriate...

(Roy discussion continues in this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?26731-Roy-Hating-on-UNC-fans-AGAIN&p=532261#post532261). -jk)