PDA

View Full Version : New polls 11/28/11

CameronBornAndBred
11-28-2011, 01:10 PM
We moved up to 3rd (with two #1 votes) and play #2 Ohio State next. The heels dropped to 5th (teehee) and play #1 Kentucky on Saturday. As much as I'd love to see UK lose that #1 ranking for us to have a chance to be in the top spot, (providing we manage to beat the Buckeyes..not getting ahead of myself) I still can't pull for the heels to win. Regardless of the outcome of our game, I'd love to see carolina lose 2 games in 7 days. Anyways, no matter who wins what...this will be a fun week for basketball.

juise
11-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Harvard finishes 27th in this week's poll with 101 points (#25 Texas A&M finished had 115 points). I hope the coaches give Tommy's Crimson a little more credit.

DoubleDuke Dad
11-28-2011, 01:30 PM
We moved up to 3rd (with two #1 votes) and play #2 Ohio State next. The heels dropped to 5th (teehee) and play #1 Kentucky on Saturday. As much as I'd love to see UK lose that #1 ranking for us to have a chance to be in the top spot, (providing we manage to beat the Buckeyes..not getting ahead of myself) I still can't pull for the heels to win. Regardless of the outcome of our game, I'd love to see carolina lose 2 games in 7 days. Anyways, no matter who wins what...this will be a fun week for basketball.

Why stop at 2?:D

bl33dblu3
11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
UNC could lose 3 times this week with a favor from Wisconsin on Wed

I'm interested in seeing this group of Florida frosh vs the 'Cuse on Friday

juise
11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Harvard finishes 27th in this week's poll with 101 points (#25 Texas A&M finished had 115 points). I hope the coaches give Tommy's Crimson a little more credit.

Nope. Harvard is 27th in the coaches' poll, too. Duke is #4. Meanwhile, #3 Syracuse gets a first place vote. Obviously doesn't mean much... just interesting to see what how people evaluate the different teams.

CameronBornAndBred
11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Nope, they finish 2 spots outside in the coaches' too. They have 2 winnable games this week, so there is a good chance they will go into Storrs undefeated.

westwall
11-28-2011, 02:28 PM
is that LOSING to Duke didn't hurt either Kansas or Michigan in the weekly polls. Both retained 14/15th places in each poll.

loran16
11-28-2011, 02:37 PM
What has Cal or Texas A&M done to deserve to be ranked? Creighton too! Good god poll people. It's amazing at this rate that SLU wasn't jipped. I'd point out of course that Harvard actually played tougher competition than SLU but god damn it.

JasonEvans
11-28-2011, 02:55 PM
They have 2 winnable games this week, so there is a good chance they will go into Storrs undefeated.

Outside of games involving your "home team" has there ever been an easier game to pick who to root for than Harvard versus UConn? Aside from uh_no and a few other die-hard UConn fans who hang around these parts, will there be anyone here not pulling HARD for Harvard in that game?

Heck, I might... might... rather see Harvard win that game than see Duke beat Ohio State.

-Jason "I said 'I might...' lay off already ;) " Evans

hq2
11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
UNC could lose 3 times this week with a favor from Wisconsin on Wed

Don't see that happening; they still purty good. Us at #3 is about where I thought we should have been
in the preseason. May not stay there long; OSU should move us up or down.

feldspar
11-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Interesting to note that we got two first-place votes in the AP poll this week. Not that I think we're necessarily deserving of them. We'll know more tomorrow night...

juise
11-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Interesting to note that we got two first-place votes in the AP poll this week. Not that I think we're necessarily deserving of them. We'll know more tomorrow night...

I posted this in another thread where polls were being discussed:

Here's this week's poll analysis (http://http://www.pollspeak.com/component/option,com_psreport/Itemid,3/lang,en/p,40/p_1,40/r,T/r_1,T/s,18/s_1,18/t1,24/t1_1,24/v,0/v_1,0/w,4/w_1,4/) for Duke. #1 votes came from Joey Johnston and Jon Wilner.

feldspar
11-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I posted this in another thread where polls were being discussed:

Nice. Thanks, juise. Joey is with the Tampa Tribune I believe.

wncdevilfan
11-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Alright so lets be honest here. IF we could beat Ohio St. on Tuesday night, and Carolina could pull off a win over Kentucky, then that would put us #1 in the nation. Now I know polls don't matter all that much until the final one, but I like our boys to carry that #1 ranking every year. Just makes for some good bragging rights around the old workplace. Anyhoo, heres my question, would you pull for the holes over kensucky if we could get a #1 ranking out of it? As much as I hate to say it, #1 will be there later in the year, I hope kensucky kills the holes!!!!! Wouldn't pull for the holes if they were playing the taliban!!!! Just my opinion.

Matches
11-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Don't care about being #1 in the polls, esp. in December.

The answer to "Heels or ___" is always... always... always... whatever comes after "or".

MCFinARL
11-28-2011, 03:40 PM
I'd actually rather not be #1 in the polls this time of year, if the reason is that other teams have lost rather than that people actually thought Duke was that good to start with. It just adds pressure that doesn't help anything.

As for UNC-Kentucky, ugh. Can I cheer for both teams to lose?

nmduke2001
11-28-2011, 03:45 PM

If Kentucky wins, they will later vacate that win so essentially, they both lose.

elvis14
11-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Alright so lets be honest here. IF we could beat Ohio St. on Tuesday night, and Carolina could pull off a win over Kentucky, then that would put us #1 in the nation. Now I know polls don't matter all that much until the final one, but I like our boys to carry that #1 ranking every year. Just makes for some good bragging rights around the old workplace. Anyhoo, heres my question, would you pull for the holes over kensucky if we could get a #1 ranking out of it? As much as I hate to say it, #1 will be there later in the year, I hope kensucky kills the holes!!!!! Wouldn't pull for the holes if they were playing the taliban!!!! Just my opinion.

I really don't like Ky basketball at all and think their coach is sleaze bag. Having said that, if anyone has a Ky shirt I could wear on Wednesday, I'd wear it. 9F all the way.

feldspar
11-28-2011, 04:56 PM

The answer to this is, and always will be: GTHC, GTH.

dukelilsis
11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I pull for Kentucky once a year (unless they meet UNC in the NCAA's) and that game comes this week. If the Heels played tge Taliban I would pull for UNC but only then.
As for #1--I prefer not to be at this time of year.

Kfanarmy
11-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Hated rivalry methinks should come second to not supporting a cheat. I will root against UK in every game until they have a coaching change.

Duvall
11-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Hated rivalry methinks should come second to not supporting a cheat. I will root against UK in every game until they have a coaching change.

Look, sometimes you have to work the dark side for the greater good.

GO KATS GO!

gus
11-28-2011, 05:24 PM

As distasteful a notion as it is, I agree. I would rather UNC win then a team led by a cheat. I'm glad you chose your words carefully too... I can't say I'll be rooting FOR the heels.

SoCalDukeFan
11-28-2011, 05:26 PM
The polls mean nothing.

The good news about the UNC-KY game is that I will happy no matter who loses.
The bad news about the UNC-KY games is that I will be sad no matter who win.

Ideally the both play poorly, are tied 15-16 at halftime, and a power failure causes the rest of the game to be called.

SoCal

hurleyfor3
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Regarding unc/uk: why bother wasting energy caring about it in the first place?

Indoor66
11-28-2011, 06:24 PM
The polls mean nothing.

The good news about the UNC-KY game is that I will happy no matter who loses.
The bad news about the UNC-KY games is that I will be sad no matter who win.

Ideally the both play poorly, are tied 15-16 at halftime, and a power failure causes the rest of the game to be called.

SoCal

I'm with you, SoCal. I hope they both lose.

NYBri
11-28-2011, 07:08 PM
The rest will take care of itself.

DU82
11-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Game on Saturday? No, there's no game on Saturday, the men are off (after tOSU) until the 7th, and the women play on Sunday. Any other contest that day doesn't matter.

I'm spending Saturday at a birthday party, where I'm sure no basketball will be discussed. (right, -jk?)

hq2
11-28-2011, 10:16 PM

Really. But remember, Roy isn't Cal (I don't think). Let's remember the difference. Even
in the Deano era, as much as we hated the four corners, his program overall was a
credit to the school. Not so sure about Cal's (how long will he last this time before
he skedaddles ahead of the posse?)

OldPhiKap
11-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Really. But remember, Roy isn't Cal (I don't think). Let's remember the difference. Even
in the Deano era, as much as we hated the four corners, his program overall was a
credit to the school. Not so sure about Cal's (how long will he last this time before
he skedaddles ahead of the posse?)

I respect Roy, but dislike him in a general sense.
I do not respect Cal and dislike him in a specific sense.

I am still not rooting for Carolina in any sport under any circumstance.

Put me down as "don't give a @#%#" who wins but will be happy that someone loses.

uh_no
11-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Put me down as "don't give a @#%#" who wins but will be happy that someone loses.

Seconded. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't make much difference to fret over it. All we can control is ourselves (well....we can't even REALLY do that...) but the best the TEAM can do is take care of business and whoever wins any other game wins it....

Newton_14
11-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Look, sometimes you have to work the dark side for the greater good.

GO KATS GO!

With you all the way. Go UK. Plus, this is a possible win/win for us if we pull the upset tomorrow night. If that happens, then we either get the pleasure of watching UNC lose (again!) or we move to Number 1 in the polls.

Given a choice, I will settle for staying Number 3, and watching the Heels get run out of the gym Saturday.

-jk
11-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Game on Saturday? No, there's no game on Saturday, the men are off (after tOSU) until the 7th, and the women play on Sunday. Any other contest that day doesn't matter.

I'm spending Saturday at a birthday party, where I'm sure no basketball will be discussed. (right, -jk?)

Um... Yeah.

We're a hoops free zone here... Yeah...

Well, maybe once in a blue moon. Or not. (Actually, my then-brand-new father-in-law admitted despairing that his girl might never find someone who would understand her obsession with Duke basketball. Heh!...)

-jk