PDA

View Full Version : FB: North Carolina-Chapel Hill 37, Duke 21

mkline09
11-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Was kind of surprised there wasn't already a game day thread up but I figured there needed to be one. If I missed it please feel free to move this there.

Last game of what we can all agree has been a disappointing year. Not so much in the effort of the kids, and how they've done things (as the front page article alludes to) with honor.

But today is a game that can leave the players, coaches, and us fans with a good taste in our mouth about this year. It sets a positive tone for the off season and gives those seniors a chance to go out on top in a rivalry game they've never won. I for one am going to be watching every play and I want these guys to win the game as bad as I want the basketball team to win twice (maybe three times) a year. Got to come out with intensity, slugg the muddy feet in their collective mouths and take the fight to them. I like the talk of playing with reckless abandon. Leave eveything on the field and nothing in the playbook. Open that puppy up and throw everything and the kitchen sink at them. I for one am tired of seeing the victory bell painted that god awful light blue. Duke need to go over to chapel hill with a few spray cans and when they win immediately take that bad boy over to the sidelines and paint it right on the field.

Lets Go Duke and GTHC.

uh_no
11-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Gthc gth!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Sometimes the games that seem out of reach are the very ones when there's a surprise ending.

The trend in this series is the importance of play in the fourth quarter.

Precise execution and unyielding focus will be key elements for Duke to overcome Carolina's talent and arrogance. The margin of error for our guys is quite small, but this may be the day when they play the game of a lifetime.

awhom111
11-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Here are the TV listings for the game if anyone needs them:
http://www.theacc.com/live/2011-acc-football-match-center-duke-at-north-carolina.html

Son of Jarhead
11-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Let's Go Duke!!!! ...Beat unc! We need to get that bell back so we can wipe the tarnish they have put on it! Go Blue Devils!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-26-2011, 12:34 PM
My plan is to meet the team bus back on campus TONIGHT at the Yoh Center to celebrate the victory and RING THAT BELL! Who will join me?

Game day! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif
GO TO HELL carolina, GO TO HELL! 9F!

Grey Devil
11-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I'll be with you in spirit, Ozzie, but there no way I can get there from California in time. It's all ESPN3 for me.

GTHC!! 9F!!

Grey Devil

Scorp4me
11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
I guess I'm alone in thinking this was a very exciting year. Sure, more losses than I would have liked. But in years past you could have turned the game off at half-time and known the outcome. This year I think all but 3 games have been ones you had to watch to the end. Frustrating sure (especially with so many injuries), but exciting. Again, maybe it comes from starting in the Carl Franks era but we've improved so much. I hate it's the end of the season already.

DU82
11-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Ozzie, I'd love to meet you at the Yoh Center, but traffic in Chapel Hill will take a while to escape after the gam. Of course I expect most of the pale blue to start leaving at the beginning of the fourth quarter, so things will be a little Bette than normal. But I'm not leaving without our bell in the proper hands!

Acymetric
11-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Chat isn't loading for me...anyone else having trouble?

Greg_Newton
11-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Sometimes the games that seem out of reach are the very ones when there's a surprise ending.

The trend in this series is the importance of play in the fourth quarter.

Precise execution and unyielding focus will be key elements for Duke to overcome Carolina's talent and arrogance. The margin of error for our guys is quite small, but this may be the day when they play the game of a lifetime.

Hope you're right - on paper, this could be a long day. Our already-undermanned D-line and LB corps are depleted by injuries, and I'm afraid we may not be able to stop Gio. Hope I'm wrong though.

GTHC!!!!!!!

throatybeard
11-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Kentucky just beat Tennessee for the first time since I was in third grade. Maybe there's some hope for Duke.

throatybeard
11-26-2011, 03:51 PM
We must lead the nation in sideways passing yardage. Is that a stat?

juise
11-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Nice observation from the announcing team on the personal foul call against Duke (after a supposed fair catch signal by UNC): "That's absurd. That's literally absurd."

77devil
11-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Looks like the fix is in. Nice call ref.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-26-2011, 04:00 PM
I have never heard of that rule.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Hope you're right - on paper, this could be a long day. Our already-undermanned D-line and LB corps are depleted by injuries, and I'm afraid we may not be able to stop Gio. Hope I'm wrong though.

GTHC!!!!!!!
How about that sack??? The guys we have available are playing pretty well. Keep on rushing that QB and there will be problems for Carolina.

vick
11-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Nice observation from the announcing team on the personal foul call against Duke (after a supposed fair catch signal by UNC): "That's absurd. That's literally absurd."

I don't know if anyone else is flipping back and forth with the UVA-VT game, but it looked like the exact same thing happened where the UVA punt returner waved off his team, then picked it up and was hit--and he was penalized for delay of game!

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Why in the world would you run that play we just ran on 2nd down on that last drive? Vernon's got a bad ankle and we're tossing it to him 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage??? I like creative play calling but not DUMB creative playcalling. Jeez!

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Nice INT baybee!!!!

OldPhiKap
11-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Nice hit by MATT.

nice pick!!!!

C'MON DEVILS!!!

OldPhiKap
11-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Argh. Like the strong call to throw down field, hate that it got nabbed.

Rogue
11-26-2011, 04:51 PM
I have never heard of that rule.

"get away " rule ???? I think it's a HOME RULE

CAROLINA REFS
CAROLINA REFS
CAROLINA REFS
CAROLINA REFS

77devil
11-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Argh. Like the strong call to throw down field, hate that it got nabbed.

Defender pushed off. Should have been pass interference. Even so, our guy should have gone up for the ball.

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Great return! Let's get a TD and move a little closer before the half! Let's go Duke!!!

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 04:58 PM
On a different note. How about the sweater and tie for coach cut. That's a very classy look and one that totally gets away from the belicheck hoodie look. Should go with that all the time.

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Unbelievable! We have GOT to stop going backwards!!!

Sixthman
11-26-2011, 05:04 PM
If we throw another sideways pass I will actually explode all over Chapel Hill.

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Good field position. Let's get a score

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Yeah, but Carolina threw one in the endzone and got like 7 yards - go figure!

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Since we can't get a run we are going to need the swing pass and screens even more but we also need to take the shots down the field

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 05:07 PM
Heck of a RAC by Varner. But....negated by a clipping penalty. Nice.

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Our D is playing well enough to win this game - not great - but decent and our O stinks!!!

Ok, just as I was about to post this, Crowder made a great play. Hope Sean's ok...

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Great crossing route but renfree is down

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 05:09 PM
What a cheap shot from the University of No Class! That jerk in baby blue should be ejected for sure! :mad:

OldPhiKap
11-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Great touchdown, that @#$@# from Carolina should get tossed for that cheap-W@REE@WE junk.

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Watching the replay, it's clear that Renfree took that cheap shot because of a ridiculous whiff on a block by #23. Is that Des Scott? It was bad, whoever it was. I hope Sean can come back in and be effective.

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Man, Walt Canty was pretty close to a nice pick there! Too bad. But you know Carolina's going to be chucking it up there with only 1:09 to go in the half, so...how 'bout a pick 6 to tie it up?

El_Diablo
11-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Man, Walt Canty was pretty close to a nice pick there! Too bad. But you know Carolina's going to be chucking it up there with only 1:09 to go in the half, so...how 'bout a pick 6 to tie it up?

I would settle for a stop (of any kind).

throatybeard
11-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Sig quote material.

I think I've figured it out. The OC has an astigmatism or something that causes him to believe the sideline is the end zone.

Sixthman
11-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Uninspired three and out. Play to win!

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Yep, not a good start to the 2nd half at all, but the halftime interview with Cut revealed that injuries are further piling up for the Devils :(

On that note, what happened to Crowder? Cut mentioned that he was being evaluated to see if he could continue to play. Ugh...

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Would it kill a db to turn around and look for e ball once in a while. That could have been a pick

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Well, that sucked! Renfree should know by this point in his career that he cannot hold that ball that long! Come on, man!

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Would it kill a db to turn around and look for e ball once in a while. That could have been a pick

Our DB's NEVER seem to know where the ball is on long pass plays. I think it's because they are generally focused on running as fast as they can to catch up with the receiver who just flew by them.

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Our DB's NEVER seem to know where the ball is on long pass plays. I think it's because they are generally focused on running as fast as they can to catch up with the receiver who just flew by them.

Of course that's after the receiver makes up the ten yard cushion we give them as well

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Aww....man! Great play and then Boone fumbled it. Looking at it live, I thought he was down by contact. Guess we're getting ready for a replay. In any case, I'm not sure I like that call but great catch by Boone as he really had to lean forward to get the ball. But he made a great play there to catch it and keep his feet.

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Finally a break

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Good lord, how many times is our center going to snap it low in the gun formation? Great pass by Boone - he DOES have a strong arm!!!

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 06:16 PM
To quote the great poet, Lynard Skynard, can't you smell that smell? Smells like a UNC turnover comin' up to me? :D

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Ok guys, 20 yards per play on D ain' gonna get it done...

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Our are DB's really that bad?

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Did we score and go into a prevent defense?

Gthoma2a
11-26-2011, 06:22 PM
I don't know why, but it feels, to me, like the strategy is usually to get close, but not win. I know that can't be it, but we outplay them for an extended period, get a shot to go ahead on the next possession, and we stop doing what got us close. This win is as close to a bowl win as we can get. We need to throw everything at them.

77devil
11-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Our are DB's really that bad?

Yes. We should bring the blitz more often because pressuring the QB is the the only chance.

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Ok, I realize it's UNC (no class and all) but these cheap shots are ticking me off :mad:

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes. We should bring the blitz more often because pressuring the QB is the the only chance.

The pressure was working on the previous drives. Why did we stop

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Ok, I think most of us here are united in our dislike of the "sideways passing game" but what really annoys me is that we often make a quick pass for a so-called "bubble screen", we have the "bubble" - i.e. blockers - in place and...they fail to make decent blocks, resulting in a VERY short gain or, frequently, a loss. You'd think that, as often as we try those screen passes toward the sideline, we'd be better at it by now.

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Well, that's probably ball game. Really bad decision by Boone there :(

jjasper0729
11-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Ok, I think most of us here are united in our dislike of the "sideways passing game" but what really annoys me is that we often make a quick pass for a so-called "bubble screen", we have the "bubble" - i.e. blockers - in place and...they fail to make decent blocks, resulting in a VERY short gain or, frequently, a loss. You'd think that, as often as we try those screen passes toward the sideline, we'd be better at it by now.

As I'm watching us throw these, I ink we are 1) not getting the ball out there quick enough which allows the defense to close faster for a smaller gain and 2) maybe throwing them too far from the spot which also allows the defense to get there.

If we are going to use that instead of run we probably need to call up some 49er tape from the 80s and see what Montana did

Cell-R
11-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Well, that's probably ball game. Really bad decision by Boone there :(
There is still almost an entire quarter to play. Too soon to make that decision.

9F

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 06:41 PM
There is still almost an entire quarter to play. Too soon to make that decision.

9F

Yeah, especially when I think we were at least close to FG range. Well...maybe we were in FG range - you never know with the Duke kicking game these days - but still, I'd love to have that one back.

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 06:45 PM
We must lead the freakin' country in the following areas:

1) Sideways passes for negative yardage or gains of less than 2 yards
2) Injuries
3) Missed FG's
4) Blown coverages/missed tackles

Sixthman
11-26-2011, 07:02 PM
We must lead the freakin' country in the following areas:

1) Sideways passes for negative yardage or gains of less than 2 yards
2) Injuries
3) Missed FG's
4) Blown coverages/missed tackles

Season more than one step backwards by any rational measure.

arnie
11-26-2011, 07:11 PM
The Saturday after Thanksgiving has become a day of celebration - Duke football is done for another 9 months!

throatybeard
11-26-2011, 07:15 PM
That goal line package is exasperating.

ChrisP
11-26-2011, 07:15 PM
The Saturday after Thanksgiving has become a day of celebration - Duke football is done for another 9 months!

That's low, dude! Those kids are playing their butts off and doing the best they can. I'm firmly in the camp that believes Duke football is on the upswing. I get frustrated, too, but primarily by bone-headed plays by otherwise smart athletes.

Here's to the Saturday after after Thanksgiving NEVER being a day of celebration again - either for our rivals or for fair-weather fans like "Arnie" here.

Duvall
11-26-2011, 07:20 PM
That goal line package is exasperating.

What a strange complaint after this game. Duke ran what, five plays in the red zone total? And one of them resulted in a touchdown.

And it's not really a "package" when you only have one healthy quarterback.

arnie
11-26-2011, 07:24 PM
That's low, dude! Those kids are playing their butts off and doing the best they can. I'm firmly in the camp that believes Duke football is on the upswing. I get frustrated, too, but primarily by bone-headed plays by otherwise smart athletes.

Here's to the Saturday after after Thanksgiving NEVER being a day of celebration again - either for our rivals or for fair-weather fans like "Arnie" here.

For what it's worth, "Arnie" has watched and gone to Duke football games for over 40 yeqrs. After so many years of loss after loss after loss, "Arnie" could quit watching and attending some games, but hasn't. So "Arnie" isn't a fair weather fan, just somebody that's happy he doesn't have to expend the emotional energy for 9 months.

throatybeard
11-26-2011, 07:24 PM
What a strange complaint after this game. Duke ran what, five plays in the red zone total? And one of them resulted in a touchdown.

And it's not really a "package" when you only have one healthy quarterback.

I'm talking about the two runs for nothing and two incomplete passes in the fourth quarter. First and goal. No points.

Class of '94
11-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Despite the loss, I too believe Duke is on the upswing. The defense competed; and I thought Boone played well considering the circumstances. He moved the team in the second half in way that Reinfree didn't; and I think next year will be interesting for Duke and the quarterback situation. Yes, he made costly mistakes and yes, one could argue that Carolina didn't prepare for Boone; but regardless, Boone looked like a good, fairly-accurate mobile quarterback with a strong arm given his lack of experience; and with the Duke's O-line being what it is, I think Duke needs a mobile quarterback to be effective as opposed to a pocket passer. I know the Reinfree supporters will disagree; but i've always thought Boone was better for this offense given player limitations than Reinfree. In fact, Boone reminds me a little of Thad and how he played.

throatybeard
11-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Despite the loss, I too believe Duke is on the upswing.

I hope so. I just realized that that Cotton Bowl we won, our last bowl win, was during my mother's sophomore year.

She turned 70 this past summer.

Bob Green
11-26-2011, 07:41 PM
I watched all 12 games this year and definitely believe the team/program is on the upswing. Teams that cannot run the ball have a tough time winning games and we only gained 46 yards on the ground today. For at least the third straight year, we will finish the season ranked 12 of 12 in the ACC in rushing offense. Prior to today's game, we were ranked 113 of 120 in the FBS. The offensive line has improved and I expect it will be even better next season, but from where I sit the top priority for Coach Cutcliffe and his staff is to figure out how to achieve success running the ball!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-26-2011, 07:57 PM
carolina can still GO TO HELL!

heyman25
11-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I watched all 12 games this year and definitely believe the team/program is on the upswing. Teams that cannot run the ball have a tough time winning games and we only gained 46 yards on the ground today. For at least the third straight year, we will finish the season ranked 12 of 12 in the ACC in rushing offense. Prior to today's game, we were ranked 113 of 120 in the FBS. The offensive line has improved and I expect it will be even better next season, but from where I sit the top priority for Coach Cutcliffe and his staff is to figure out how to achieve success running the ball!

They need to overhaul the offense. Its going to become more difficult recruiting. In 4 years Cutcliffe's record is not going to be a selling point to a High School Football talent. We have the Pascal Practice field the Yoh Center,but the coaching staff needs to do a much better job of coaching and strategizing. This year was a Bust!

OZZIE4DUKE
11-26-2011, 08:36 PM
They need to overhaul the offense. Its going to become more difficult recruiting. In 4 years Cutcliffe's record is not going to be a selling point to a High School Football talent. We have the Pascal Practice field the Yoh Center,but the coaching staff needs to do a much better job of coaching and strategizing. This year was a Bust!
You (all) really have no idea how physically beat up we were this week. We started our 3rd string center and a second string guard, our best offensive player started despite painful injuries, got hurt again and was declared out and yet finished the game on the field, and we lost our starting quarterback. And that's just part of the walking wounded, not including those already out for several games. carolina is probably the physically most talented team we played all year.

The players we redshirted this year will make a big difference next year on both sides of the ball. The OL will have big, strong kids and more depth, Snead is our fastest back, Kyler Brown (Kelby's brother) will be an impact player on defense. The future is bright. Don't put your shades where you can't find them! :cool::cool:

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-26-2011, 09:24 PM
You (all) really have no idea how physically beat up we were this week. We started our 3rd string center and a second string guard, our best offensive player started despite painful injuries, got hurt again and was declared out and yet finished the game on the field, and we lost our starting quarterback. And that's just part of the walking wounded, not including those already out for several games. carolina is probably the physically most talented team we played all year.

The players we redshirted this year will make a big difference next year on both sides of the ball. The OL will have big, strong kids and more depth, Snead is our fastest back, Kyler Brown (Kelby's brother) will be an impact player on defense. The future is bright. Don't put your shades where you can't find them! :cool::cool:
The gritty way this team played today made it easy to lose sight of the significant injuries they had both before and during the game. The Duke teams pre-Cutcliffe would not have had the depth to stay in a game like this. Our guys did not give up. They continued to fight hard. They never gave up. And they didn't cheat.:cool:

mkline09
11-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Proud of the guys today. Played their butts off despite some pretty overwhelming odds. Injuries just keep piling up and had they had to have played another week who knows if they would have had enough guys to play. Shows how far Duke has come with depth. Still too many mistakes against a better team talent wise.

I did see a lot of good things from Boone and Crowder on offense. I find it funny how with the back up quarterback in that the offensive play book magically just opened up and there were moments where I was saying, "where has that play been all year?" The Defense is just so beat up it was sometimes hard to watch and they couldn't really get much in the way of a stop.

But another year has come and gone and I think we are all disappointed with the out come. I really wasn't optimistic of a bowl berth this season given the difficulty of the schedule but I did think they'd win maybe 5 games. Hopefull this is the last of these kinds of years. Time to move on, get healthy, stronger, better in the off season. Hopefully recruting goes well, hopefully the guys put in the work and considering the new indoor facility there are no excuses for being able to work. I think the fans are setting the tone as well as the coaches that this losing thing isn't acceptible and Duke is no longer content with being the ACC's doormat. I think next year will speak volumes about how far the program has come. We can only wait and see and I personally can't wait.

And like Ozzie said carolina can still Go To Hell.

PDDuke85
11-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I did see a lot of good things from Boone and Crowder on offense. I find it funny how with the back up quarterback in that the offensive play book magically just opened up and there were moments where I was saying, "where has that play been all year?"

And like Ozzie said carolina can still Go To Hell.

I think the question is, did the play book open up for Boone or did Boone quickly find pages to said book that have been there all along? The kid made some rookie mistakes but the piecemeal offense, held together with duct tape and a prayer seemed to respond favorably. Going into the off season, is there a quarterback controversy?

On a lighter note, did anyone watching yesterday's game on TV note the few seconds that hideous ram with cyanotic horns was pictured? In defiance to NCAA sanctions, TV caught him taking a leak.

duke09hms
11-27-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm interested to find out what our strength and conditioning program is because oftentimes many injuries can be avoided or at least reduced in severity by increased strength/conditioning. Duke players seem to be going down left and right just about every game I watch. Our guys, even 4 years into the Cutcliffe era, always look smaller and weaker than opposing teams.

Frankly, I'd just like to see our guys live in the weight room all off-season and come out seriously JACKED next season to play some physical smash-mouth football. Since we're Duke, teams are always going to try to punk us - late hits, hard hits, dirty play. That can't be tolerated, and when it happens we just need to smile, get up, and hit them harder.

It'd also be crucial to developing a running game. We don't have an all-time great QB like Thad Lewis anymore, and Varner's going to graduate, so more than ever we need a running game.

uh_no
11-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm interested to find out what our strength and conditioning program is because oftentimes many injuries can be avoided or at least reduced in severity by increased strength/conditioning. Duke players seem to be going down left and right just about every game I watch. Our guys, even 4 years into the Cutcliffe era, always look smaller and weaker than opposing teams.

I'm sure they have a quite adequate conditioning program. I think one of the problems is that we miss blocks all the time resulting in big hits....this causes RB's and QB's to take huge shots (like the one renfree got hit with last night). Our Rb's just take an absolute beating....so its understandable that they end up being injured a lot

Bob Green
11-27-2011, 01:07 PM
On a lighter note, did anyone watching yesterday's game on TV note the few seconds that hideous ram with cyanotic horns was pictured? In defiance to NCAA sanctions, TV caught him taking a leak.

I'm not sure this is something I should be publicly acknowledging, but what the hell, yes I watched the ram urinate.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-27-2011, 02:15 PM
I think the question is, did the play book open up for Boone or did Boone quickly find pages to said book that have been there all along? The kid made some rookie mistakes but the piecemeal offense, held together with duct tape and a prayer seemed to respond favorably. Going into the off season, is there a quarterback controversy?

Boone (and Connette) can do things, mobility-wise, that Sean Renfree isn't suited for, in part because they are not recovering from a torn ACL/MCL (or did everyone forget that from 2010?). I think the only controversy next year will be who is the #2 QB - Boone or Connette?

As to your second point, I believe I pointed that out in the Section 21 chat! :cool:

chrishoke
11-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Man do I hate losing to those cheaters!

This game was no contest in terms of talent on the field. Bigger, stronger and faster - by a lot. Our guys and coaches did a good job of hanging in there as long as they did, particularly with the mounting injuries. Very disheartening to see such a wide talent gap. Couples (sp?) was a man among boys, and he wasn't alone. :(

GTHCGTH

PDDuke85
11-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I think Sean Renfree is a decent quarterback in a traditional "pro style offense". The big question, which has zero to do with ACL reconstruction and recovery is, is Duke, with the size and speed of its offensive personnel, capable of delivering a typical "pro style offense?"

mkline09
11-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I think Sean Renfree is a decent quarterback in a traditional "pro style offense". The big question, which has zero to do with ACL reconstruction and recovery is, is Duke, with the size and speed of its offensive personnel, capable of delivering a typical "pro style offense?"

They haven't really run a pro style in a couple years. They've run a sort of spread pistol to try and compensate for lack of playmakers with a lot of speed. They try and spread the field and have the receivers run lots of timing routes. Renfree would be better in a prostyle I think with a full back, and good play action options. That buys time and allows him to check off his progressions which he was doing way to quickly and that attributed to a lot of dump off so the backs. As it stands I'm not sure Kurt Roper has the slightest idea of what a play action pass is. If he did me might actually call one near the goal line for a change. But I liked what I saw out of Boone yesterday. He looked good and moved the offense better than Renfree IMO. And as I noted earlier for some reason the play calling was much more creative and diverse with him in as quarterback. He moves well outside the pocket and can pick up some yards with his feet. I like his game a lot under the current offense that Duke is choosing to run, but if they should elect to go back to the pro style I set then Renfree would be better suited I think.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Next year's OL will be better suited to do so than this year's patchwork line. But Renfree will have graduated before we truly have what you ask for.

throatybeard
11-27-2011, 04:01 PM

It's presently more of a sideways pass-style offense.

uh_no
11-27-2011, 04:06 PM

perhaps more aptly described as "sideways pass with backwards runs mixed in too often-style offense" :P

cspan37421
11-27-2011, 04:38 PM

Absolutely! That's the good news.

The bad news is that the pro-style is Indianapolis-Colts-circa-fall-2011-style.

Acymetric
11-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Haven't been able to find a postgame press conference anywhere, anyone know what was said?

jimsumner
11-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Haven't been able to find a postgame press conference anywhere, anyone know what was said?

Cut was angrier than I've seen him. Angry at the penalty on the punt return because he thinks its a stupid rule. Which it is.

Angry with the rest of the penalties because they were dumb. Which they were.

I'm paraphrasing here, but he basically said that dumb penalties were unacceptable and he wasn't going to tolerate it anymore.

Said that he would evaluate everything this off-season. Everything.

Said he would watch the film of the game, get on a plane, go recruiting and we wouldn't see him for awhile.

Thinks that Duke is catching up physically but not there yet. Team has to have big off-season to eliminate that gap.

Loves Matt Daniels. How can you not? Great player, class act all the way.

Nobody asked about the late hit on Renfree but he couldn't have been happy about that. Heat-seeking missle to the head, whistle be damned.

Cut said that right after the game, he challenged the returnees to not let this happen again, to dedicate themselves to getting bigger and stronger and faster and more skilled.

You can question some of his decisions but no one can question his committment to getting this job done. I'm pretty sure he feels the same way we do. It's time.

mkline09
11-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Cut was frustrated, he thinks the program is in good shape though the team did not perform well on the season. Too many mistakes he is going to address that in the off season. He was going to view the tape from the unc game today and then get on a plane. He said you might not see him for a while because he was going to be recruiting hard. Guys are going to have to work hard in the off season to earn their jerseys next season. Going to be a rough Spring. He is excited about recruiting but would rather be practicing for a bowl game cause that is what he is used to and that is the habit he wants to create. He has confidence in the team and his staff. Feels like they are closing the talent gap but have a ways to go. Singled out unc's Quinton Coples as a guy Duke couldn't match up with at all. Feels good about the depth created this year though he hated to see the injuries. Felt like that will help the team moving forward since a lot of guys got a lot of snaps. Was adamant Matt Daniels should be first team All-American and if the media members presented didn't vote for him he was coming after them.

He was clearly frustrated, but still optimistic. Made me excited for spring ball and I can't wait for next season. At least there is some little sport with a round ball that is going on now to keep me occupied. :D

OldPhiKap
11-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Does that mean they don't drink merlot?

uh_no
11-27-2011, 09:21 PM
You can question some of his decisions but no one can question his committment to getting this job done. I'm pretty sure he feels the same way we do. It's time.

reminds me of the time i ran into him after he had one of his film sessions with regular students and I thanked him for coming out and talking to the students

I wish I could run into him again to thank him for sticking with the program and dedicating his life 100% to turning this program around. I know people here (myself included) rip into him sometimes, but I don't care....he's worth every cent we pay him, and probably more.....coaching acumen aside, that kind of human being doesn't turn up on your doorstep every day.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-27-2011, 09:36 PM
reminds me of the time i ran into him after he had one of his film sessions with regular students and I thanked him for coming out and talking to the students

I wish I could run into him again to thank him for sticking with the program and dedicating his life 100% to turning this program around. I know people here (myself included) rip into him sometimes, but I don't care....he's worth every cent we pay him, and probably more.....coaching acumen aside, that kind of human being doesn't turn up on your doorstep every day.
Talk with Coach Cutcliffe for a few minutes and it's clear that the man is unique in his dedication and passion for what he's doing. We are indeed fortunate.

It's evident even in complaining that folks have much higher expectations than just four years ago. Coach Cutcliffe is the man who's brought this turn about. Who knows? Maybe this recruiting season will yield another great group of recruits like the 704 bunch from the Charlotte area.

OldPhiKap
11-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Talk with Coach Cutcliffe for a few minutes and it's clear that the man is unique in his dedication and passion for what he's doing. We are indeed fortunate.

It's evident even in complaining that folks have much higher expectations than just four years ago. Coach Cutcliffe is the man who's brought this turn about. Who knows? Maybe this recruiting season will yield another great group of recruits like the 704 bunch from the Charlotte area.

From your keyboard, to God's ear.

Sorry I did not get up to enjoy your company and hospitality this season, I won't let that happen two years in a row.

Cut has this team on the right path. This was a tough year, I am hopeful that we make the break-through next season.

Go Duke!

devildeac
11-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Cut was angrier than I've seen him. Angry at the penalty on the punt return because he thinks its a stupid rule. Which it is.

Angry with the rest of the penalties because they were dumb. Which they were.

I'm paraphrasing here, but he basically said that dumb penalties were unacceptable and he wasn't going to tolerate it anymore.

Said that he would evaluate everything this off-season. Everything.

Said he would watch the film of the game, get on a plane, go recruiting and we wouldn't see him for awhile.

Thinks that Duke is catching up physically but not there yet. Team has to have big off-season to eliminate that gap.

Loves Matt Daniels. How can you not? Great player, class act all the way.

Nobody asked about the late hit on Renfree but he couldn't have been happy about that. Heat-seeking missle to the head, whistle be damned.

Cut said that right after the game, he challenged the returnees to not let this happen again, to dedicate themselves to getting bigger and stronger and faster and more skilled.

WRT the hit on Sean:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5702673

http://newyork.sbnation.com/2010/10/19/1761129/nfl-rule-changes-helmet-to-helmet-hits-will-lead-to-suspensions

Not holding my breath the the acc office will do anything more about this.

Just like they did nothing last year (2 years in a row?) when a unc player/s took a swing (?hit) someone, was tossed from the game but no suspension.

-bdbd
11-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Obviously a frustrating outcome this weekend. I do believe that this group of first-year players WILL be ringing that Victory Bell soon enough. The building blocks are there. And I agree - the time is now.

What do we know about next year's schedule so far? Will it be condusive to winning 6 or more games?
Here's what I found after a brief search:

2012 Duke Blue Devils Football Schedule
Date/Time Opponent Result Tickets
Sat. 09/01/12 Time TBA Florida International
Sat. 09/08/12 Time TBA at Stanford

Who will be the two other non-cons? And who is the Div-2 (yeah, yeah - Ik now, not the real name anymore...) opponent - hopefully someone a little easier to beat than Richmond! Are we due for a revisit with NCCU? Any indicators of who we will play from the other division next year?

Thx.

CameronBornAndBred
11-28-2011, 08:22 AM
He said you might not see him for a while because he was going to be recruiting hard.
He's going to have to recruit harder than he ever has. I imagine it was easier when he was pitching brighter days in Durham after his arrival, but he's been at the helm for 4 years now and has just turned in back to back 3 win seasons. I'm fully in Coach Cut's camp, but to come to Duke you have to be smart, and a smart kid will look at the numbers.

I bet you can pencil that in for a 7PM kickoff. We'll be there setting up our grills at 7AM, as always. And as always, I'm excited for next year. GO DUKE!!!

devildeac
11-28-2011, 09:45 AM
He's going to have to recruit harder than he ever has. I imagine it was easier when he was pitching brighter days in Durham after his arrival, but he's been at the helm for 4 years now and has just turned in back to back 3 win seasons. I'm fully in Coach Cut's camp, but to come to Duke you have to be smart, and a smart kid will look at the numbers.

I bet you can pencil that in for a 7PM kickoff. We'll be there setting up our grills at 7AM, as always. And as always, I'm excited for next year. GO DUKE!!!

Time to start a thread for the 2012 home opener yet? (jk)

Matches
11-28-2011, 09:56 AM
So "Arnie" isn't a fair weather fan, just somebody that's happy he doesn't have to expend the emotional energy for 9 months.

Given that there hasn't been any fair weather for almost 20 years, it's probably a safe bet that there is no such thing as a Fair Weather Duke Football Fan, at least not among the current fanbase.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-28-2011, 10:15 AM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by mkline09 http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=531707#post531707)
He said you might not see him for a while because he was going to be recruiting hard.

Most of the recruiting for 2012 is done, unless some 4 or 5 star DL plops into our lap, which would be REALLY nice :cool:. He's out looking at juniors and sophs for 2013 and 2014.

devildeac
11-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Most of the recruiting for 2012 is done, unless some 4 or 5 star DL plops into our lap, which would be REALLY nice :cool:. He's out looking at juniors and sophs for 2013 and 2014.

I have not read any updates for a while but I think Cut was still looking at Jela Carter (sp?) a RB from Charlotte who might be a 4 star player. My biggest concern will be if we get any significant number of de-commits from our list of 20+ verbals from the fall when signing day rolls around in February, 2012. Would enjoy reading any updates from pbc2, mlkline, OF and/or Jim Summer if they have any "news" at this time.

Reilly
11-28-2011, 10:41 AM
... What do we know about next year's schedule so far? Will it be condusive to winning 6 or more games?
Here's what I found after a brief search:

2012 Duke Blue Devils Football Schedule
Date/Time Opponent Result Tickets
Sat. 09/08/12 Time TBA at Stanford ....

I believe the four non-conference games next year are ...

Memphis 2-10 this year and just fired their coach
NCCU 2-9 this year
FIU 8-4 this year but we beat them down there
@Stanford - losing Luck ....

jimsumner
11-28-2011, 12:04 PM
I have not read any updates for a while but I think Cut was still looking at Jela Carter (sp?) a RB from Charlotte who might be a 4 star player. My biggest concern will be if we get any significant number of de-commits from our list of 20+ verbals from the fall when signing day rolls around in February, 2012. Would enjoy reading any updates from pbc2, mlkline, OF and/or Jim Summer if they have any "news" at this time.

Jela Duncan is the running back to whom you are referring.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-28-2011, 12:36 PM

Well, I did say most. There are one or two they are still working on, but as far as turning up new prospects, the efforts are for future classes. But a surprise DL would be welcomed with open arms.

Do we really have 20+ verbals? That number seems a bit high.

-bdbd
11-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Well, I did say most. There are one or two they are still working on, but as far as turning up new prospects, the efforts are for future classes. But a surprise DL would be welcomed with open arms.

Do we really have 20+ verbals? That number seems a bit high.

Both Scout and Rivals list 14 commitments. Small class thusfar. But I too had read that we were holding a couple of schollies for potential late big-time commitments. Also agree 150% with Ozzie that we really need some rapid recruiting success on the D-line ASAP. (I know we've already had some recruiting success on the O-line and am expecting improvements to show on the field with the Offensive front over the next couple of years.)

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=8&yr=2012

http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/football/recruiting/commitments/2012

Also, from that non-conference schedule, I think we can reasonably look for at lreast three non-ACC wins (will be interesting to see how far Stanford falls with Luck's departure, and that of some other key players, such as their O-line). Obviously we'll play the same 5 in-division games in 2012. Do we know yet what 3 teams we'll likely face from the other division? Is it as simple as the three we didn't see this year - MD, NCSU, and Clemson?

Reilly
11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
ACC home games: Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia
ACC road games: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/acc/2012-duke-blue-devils-football-schedule.php

arnie
11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
ACC home games: Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia
ACC road games: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/acc/2012-duke-blue-devils-football-schedule.php

WOW - very tough acc schedule (as hard as it can be). Even with 18 returning starters, not sure where conference wins will come from.

CameronBornAndBred
11-28-2011, 03:39 PM
WOW - very tough acc schedule (as hard as it can be). Even with 18 returning starters, not sure where conference wins will come from.
Every one of those teams is at least bowl eligible this year. Hopefully we pull victories over Wake (finally) and UVA. But like you point out, there are no givens there. Either we are going to have to improve dramatically or get lucky, ala the BC win. I'd hate to think that a 2 win season is a possiblility, but it is not hard to picture it. And that's assuming we beat FIU.

devildeac
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Jela Duncan is the running back to whom you are referring.

Thank you. I had kind of pushed 2012 recruiting to the deep recesses of my memory and much trouble keeping track of 20+ FB recruits, let alone 2012, 2013 (and beyond) MBB prospects:o.

devildeac
11-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Every one of those teams is at least bowl eligible this year. Hopefully we pull victories over Wake (finally) and UVA. But like you point out, there are no givens there. Either we are going to have to improve dramatically or get lucky, ala the BC win. I'd hate to think that a 2 win season is a possiblility, but it is not hard to picture it. And that's assuming we beat FIU.

Not to worry. I am sure Ozzie has us penciled (inked?) in for 12 W, an ACC championship and a national championship appearance and victory:p.

mkline09
11-28-2011, 06:30 PM
That is a brutal schedule again. You figure NCCU, Memphis and FIU should/could be wins.Glad no Richmond but them finishing with only 3 wins this season makes that loss hurt a lot more. Stanford will be down after presumably losing Andrew Luck so you never know but major improvements need to be made on both sides of the ball for that to happen. But the ACC schedule is a tough pill to swollow. FSU, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and VA Tech are all very tough. Virginia is getting better fast and Wake and unc just own Duke. It is going to take a lot of work and some luck against some teams that Duke probably shouldn't beat. But lets focus on game No. 1 against FIU and go from there. Long time till 9/1/12 so a lot of time to get better. Lets Go Duke. Get to work fellas and lets get this ship sailing.

Duvall
11-28-2011, 06:33 PM

You're assuming a loss to Memphis?

But yes, Duke should be an underdog in every conference game next season, and a sizable one in most.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Not to worry. I am sure Ozzie has us penciled (inked?) in for 12 W, an ACC championship and a national championship appearance and victory:p.
14 W's, actually, counting the Conference Championship game and the BCS bowl victory. I figure they'll cheat us out of the National Championship game, not wanting us to be men's and women's basketball and football champs at the same time. :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
11-28-2011, 09:01 PM
You're assuming a loss to Memphis?

But yes, Duke should be an underdog in every conference game next season, and a sizable one in most.
Nope...forgot them. But after Richmond, I'm sure not assuming a win. :eek:

Kewlswim
11-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Hi,

Rather than thinking about whether or not the team can get bowl eligible lets just hope the team just gets better each game and practice. I think there has been too much emphasis on going to a bowl and not enough with just trying to get better. As Coach Harbaugh (of the SF 49ers) says, "Let's get a mile an hour faster..."

GO DUKE!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi,

Rather than thinking about whether or not the team can get bowl eligible lets just hope the team just gets better each game and practice. I think there has been too much emphasis on going to a bowl and not enough with just trying to get better. As Coach Harbaugh (of the SF 49ers) says, "Let's get a mile an hour faster..."

GO DUKE!

You've made a very important point. The process of turning the program around is one that isn't likely to happen in big leaps. Developing the depth and quality of depth in player personnel will take time. I wish it could be as quick as can happen in basketball, but the two sports are very different.

-bdbd
11-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Not sure where to put this, so this string will suffice. The All-ACC selections have been announced and Duke placed two players on them.

Duke Safety Matt Daniels takes first-teall All-ACC honors. And C.Vernon takes second-team All-ACC honors at WR. Congrats to both young men!

BTW, VaTech is pretty upset about their defense being largely ignored in these awards.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112811aae.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hokies-journal/post/virginia-techs-bud-foster-calls-all-acc-selections-a-slap-in-the-face/2011/11/29/gIQAT67g8N_blog.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/hokies-journal/post/two-hokies-earn-first-team-all-acc-honors/2011/11/28/gIQAtgHp5N_blog.html