PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Mullins Story in Durham Herald-Sun

sagegrouse
11-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Here's the link (http://heraldsun.com/view/full_story/16544305/article-Blue-Devil-Forever---Jeff-Mullins?instance=main_article) (which I couldn't find on the Front Page). Learned some things I didn't know, and I knew him at Duke.

sagegrouse

Bob Green
11-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the link as that was a fine story, which I enjoyed reading. An interesting fact about Jeff Mullins, that I learned reading Game of my Life by Al Featherston, is Mullins scored in double figures in every game of his career. He is the only player in Duke (and ACC) history to do so. Mullins is just before my time as the first Duke star I have memories of from my youth is Bob Verga. I know I watched games where Mullins was playing, but I don't remember.

Atldukie79
11-24-2011, 10:09 PM
I vaguely recall watching Mullins playing against Michigan on a fuzzy black and white TV.

Having read a great deal about Mullins and talked to people who knew him, I get the impression he would remind people today of Battier in terms of character and leadership abilities. Too bad so little is recorded from those 60 era teams as compared to today.

Thankfully, writers such as Lewis Bowling bring them to life again. BTW, Bowling wrote an excellent book on Wallace Wade which is must read material for any and all Duke football fans.

wsb3
11-25-2011, 08:54 AM
I always mark my first days of being a DUKE fan to Jeff Mullins...I was a small child and he was my favorite player..Great article...

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-25-2011, 01:11 PM
I vaguely recall watching Mullins playing against Michigan on a fuzzy black and white TV.

Having read a great deal about Mullins and talked to people who knew him, I get the impression he would remind people today of Battier in terms of character and leadership abilities. Too bad so little is recorded from those 60 era teams as compared to today.

Thankfully, writers such as Lewis Bowling bring them to life again. BTW, Bowling wrote an excellent book on Wallace Wade which is must read material for any and all Duke football fans.
Lewis Bowling's book about Wallace Wade has gone into a second edition.... a really great read.

Regarding the comparison made between Jeff Mullins and Shane Battier, the comparison is backwards. It is Shane who might remind us of Jeff.

As for speaking of him in the past tense, he looked well the last time I saw him before the Duke - Carolina game last year.

jv001
11-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Lewis Bowling's book about Wallace Wade has gone into a second edition.... a really great read.

Regarding the comparison made between Jeff Mullins and Shane Battier, the comparison is backwards. It is Shane who might remind us of Jeff.

As for speaking of him in the past tense, he looked well the last time I saw him before the Duke - Carolina game last year.

I agree Shane and Jeff are good comparisons, both on the court and off. As good as I thought Art Heyman was, I always thought Jeff was better and therefore one of my favorite Duke players. GoDuke!

Indoor66
11-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I agree Shane and Jeff are good comparisons, both on the court and off. As good as I thought Art Heyman was, I always thought Jeff was better and therefore one of my favorite Duke players. GoDuke!

I think the would of Shane but I have known Jeff for many years and Shane has a lot of life to live before I would rank him up with Jeff.

jv001
11-25-2011, 03:48 PM
I think the would of Shane but I have known Jeff for many years and Shane has a lot of life to live before I would rank him up with Jeff.

If you have known Jeff personally for years, then you are truly blessed. I don't know him personally, but from what I've heard of Jeff over the years he is truly a great guy. As for his basketball career, I do know he was one of the best Duke players ever. Best of luck to him and his family and may God bless them. GoDuke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-25-2011, 05:36 PM
I concur! Jeff is the sort of friend we'd all value..... modest, but very accomplished.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-25-2011, 05:43 PM
My point was that Jeff sets the standard for the comparison, not Shane.

As for whether Jeff was better than Art Heyman, that's like trying to determine which of your children you love more. I think of them as a tandem.....and oh, what a game they played!

For those who didn't have the privilege or opportunity to see Heyman and Mullins play, it was magic on the floor. That sort of thing doesn't happen often, perhaps every generation or so at schools like Duke...... at many other schools, such witnessing such magical talent may never happen!

SoCalDukeFan
11-25-2011, 11:09 PM
My point was that Jeff sets the standard for the comparison, not Shane.

As for whether Jeff was better than Art Heyman, that's like trying to determine which of your children you love more. I think of them as a tandem.....and oh, what a game they played!

For those who didn't have the privilege or opportunity to see Heyman and Mullins play, it was magic on the floor. That sort of thing doesn't happen often, perhaps every generation or so at schools like Duke...... at many other schools, such witnessing such magical talent may never happen!

I graduated from Duke in '66 so go to see one year of Heyman and two of Jeff Mullins. I did not really know Jeff but from everything I heard he was (and is) a great guy. They were two two tremendous players and it was something else to see them play together.

Duke went to 3 Final Fours when I was a student. Obviously, no NCs but still great basketball.

SoCal

jv001
11-26-2011, 04:25 AM
I graduated from Duke in '66 so go to see one year of Heyman and two of Jeff Mullins. I did not really know Jeff but from everything I heard he was (and is) a great guy. They were two two tremendous players and it was something else to see them play together.

Duke went to 3 Final Fours when I was a student. Obviously, no NCs but still great basketball.

SoCal

And I guess you were blessed to see Jeff play with the Warriors after he left Duke for the NBA. He had a good pro career as well if my memory serves me well. GoDuke!