PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Kansas (Nov 24, 2011)

JBDuke
11-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 68-61 victory over Kansas in the Maui Classic Championship?

Ultrarunner
11-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Mason was a beast and hit 7 of 9 free throws plus played really good defense down the stretch. Ryan played well, did all the little things right.

But Tyler.....way to step up to the moment! Went with the little guy on this one....

dyedwab
11-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Kelly was a deserving MVP for the tournament, Tyler's shots were epic, Dawkins hit a clutch 3...

...but Mason played great defense on Thomas Robinson, grabbed boards, altered shots, and hit free throws down the stretch. This was quite a game for Mason.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-24-2011, 12:32 AM
TT. His winning shots clinched it, but his crunch time minutes (with AR on the bench with foul trouble) earned it. :cool:

CDu
11-24-2011, 12:32 AM
A part of me wanted to vote for Thornton for a great game. But Mason was an absolute beast tonight. He matched, if not outright outplayed, one of the best big men in the country tonight. And he hit 7 of 9 free throws!

mgtr
11-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I think that we will have a difficult time picking the MOTM all year, since we have so many people to step up. I voted for Mason, but I was surprised that (so far) nobody voted for Kelly.

mapei
11-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Mason. Not until the last 10 minutes, but then he played his butt off. He was "a man."

ArkieDukie
11-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Coach K called Mason the MVP for this game. Who am I to argue with him? MP2 had a stellar game. RK is a close second; he was a very deserving selection for tourney MVP. Special shout-out to TT for great D and clutch shooting.

jacone21
11-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Emotionally, I wanted to give it to Tyler, but I had to give it to Mason. Coach K summed it up better than I can. "Mason showed his team tonight that they were out there with a man."

Wander
11-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Can I vote for Tyshawn Taylor? :)

Ultrarunner
11-24-2011, 12:40 AM
I think that we will have a difficult time picking the MOTM all year, since we have so many people to step up. I voted for Mason, but I was surprised that (so far) nobody voted for Kelly.

I think that we're getting used to the steadiness of Ryan Kelly - solid everywhere, scoring, (much improved) defense, good passing, enough rebounding. I'm guessing that at some point in a couple of years we'll (collectively) realize just how good he is.

wallyman
11-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Mason was the MVP but when you think of this game who are you going to think of first?
Tyler was the Man of the Match.

brumby041
My initial thought was Ryan - who I think I've voted for the most this year so far. Then, I wanted to go with TT for "the shot".

But then I listened to the Bilas interview with K...and K said that Mason was player of the game. So...Mason it is.

What freethrow shooting problem?

Wow! What a game.

jacone21
I think that we're getting used to the steadiness of Ryan Kelly - solid everywhere, scoring, (much improved) defense, good passing, enough rebounding. I'm guessing that at some point in a couple of years we'll (collectively) realize just how good he is.

In a couple of years....

Commish: "With the 23rd pick of the 2013 NBA draft, the New York Knicks select.... Ryan Kelly from Duke University."

Crowd: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

JBDuke
11-24-2011, 12:45 AM
As much as I want to vote for Tyler based on his stellar defense and his last-minute heroics, I have to go with Mason on this one. He pulled a double-double, essentially matching the performance of one of the best big men in the country, and he got through his mental block on the FT line. (Let's hope that's gone for good!) His defense was very good, and he was aggressive and successful on offense. I agree with Coach - he was a real man out there today.

But back to Tyler. I've contemplated starting a complementary poll for each game - Man of the Moment. Often, the game turns on a play or a series of plays in which one player plays a key role. If we had a Man of the Moment poll for this game, Tyler wins it in a landslide. I don't want to discount the rest of his performance tonight, because his defense was exceptional, but those two shots were just special.

NYBri
11-24-2011, 12:49 AM
Have to vote for Double T. Mason will get his.

NYBri
11-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Also, Kelly's game reminded me of Kyle tonight. Never has before, but the way he was slashing, driving, spotting up...very Singleresque.

wilko
11-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Mason.
He grew up!
His end of game D was outstanding. Blocks and rebounds all over the place...
Its like he was letting that KU dude to have a few gimmes and get some confidence so he could shut him down once he learned his tendencies... or maybe the the KU got tired legs... who cares. Great sequences from Mason. He did work so that TT's shots could matter!

devildeac
11-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Mason-MOTM-beastly performance

Ryan-Maui MVP

TT-Best performance by a supporting actor

stixof96
11-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Mason-MOTM-beastly performance

Ryan-Maui MVP

TT-Best performance by a supporting actor

i'll drink to that...........

dukepsy1963
11-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Just had to vote for Kelly because he played everything well tonight. He was everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I can think of three others that deserved it as well. But tonight, mine goes to Ryan.

juise
11-24-2011, 01:17 AM
How man times can I hear K call Mason a "man" in the post-game interview and not think he's the MOTM? Just a great performance down the stretch. Even his turnover (the charge) was a questionable call. He was huge for Duke inside tonight.

Tyler made the play of the game. Maybe Duke doesn't win the game without his big plays, but I think we'll be saying that a lot this year (about various players). This Duke team has so many weapons and they're all rapidly gaining confidence. It'll be fun.

magjayran
11-24-2011, 01:33 AM
I just got all emotional with this poll and voted for Tyler. I love the guy and it does me good to see him make big plays.

Side note: Which was more miraculous: Tyler's threes or Mason's free throws?

elvis14
11-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Koach called it after the game. Mason was "a man" tonight. Heck he was THE MAN!

p.s. - thanks TT, great shot

ACCBBallFan
11-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Metrics +/- Total STARTERS
63 14 77 Mason Plumlee, F

59 +6 65 Ryan Kelly, F

46 +8 54 Seth Curry, G

39 +3 42 Andre Dawkins, G
30 12 42 Tyler Thornton, G

36 -4 32 Austin Rivers, G

09 -6 3 Miles Plumlee, F
01 +2 3 Quinn Cook, G

Metrics is sum of all the positive stats less turnovers less fouls

On +/- detail:

Duke KU +/- +/min -/min +/- /min Minutes Duke Player

64 50 14 1.7 1.4 0.4 36.6 Mason

37 25 12 1.8 1.2 0.6 20.9 Tyler

60 52 +8 1.7 1.5 0.2 35.4 Seth

59 53 +6 1.7 1.6 0.1 34.2 Ryan

60 57 +3 1.8 1.7 0.1 34.3 Dre
02 00 +2 1.3 0.0 1.3 01.6 Quinn

45 49 (4) 1.6 1.7 (0.1) 28.0 Austin

13 19 (6) 1.4 2.1 (0.7) 09.1 Miles

-bdbd
11-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Mason Plumlee.

Coach K said it himself - Mason was the MVP of the championship game!

About time too, as I have been waiting for folks to notice more of the little things he's doing on the interior for us. Without Mason where is our post game??? It is great to see him blossoming and having such an impact this season. :cool:

DevilWearsPrada
11-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Also, Kelly's game reminded me of Kyle tonight. Never has before, but the way he was slashing, driving, spotting up...very Singleresque.

Very Singleresque! Great "ism". Mason was channeling his "Zoubs" and breaking out like Zou did in the Duke/Maryland game in Cameron 2010. Making big plays and hitting free throws, and Manning up .... I agree with all the comments Coach K did in interview with Jay Bilas, also. Mason had a very balanced game.

The emotion Coach K had for Tyler was so worthy of a deserving kid. Big game plays for TT! This is a good team, and they will get better and better.

Duke owns Maui! These 3 days of games have been like a long Final 4, but with back to back games. Very intense and physical, and loved Bilas comments about Duke! So impressed with this team and they seem to gel in Maui. Safe travels for the team as they fly back to Durham.

jv001
11-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Very Singleresque! Great "ism". Mason was channeling his "Zoubs" and breaking out like Zou did in the Duke/Maryland game in Cameron 2010. Making big plays and hitting free throws, and Manning up .... I agree with all the comments Coach K did in interview with Jay Bilas, also. Mason had a very balanced game.

The emotion Coach K had for Tyler was so worthy of a deserving kid. Big game plays for TT! This is a good team, and they will get better and better. Duke owns Maui! These 3 days of games have been like a long Final 4, but with back to back games. Very intense and physical, and loved Bilas comments about Duke! So impressed with this team and they seem to gel in Maui. Safe travels for the team as they fly back to Durham.

I thought the same thing as I watched Coach K talk about Tyler. What a great moment for this great young man. I guess I voted for him on emotion, and who knows if Tyler will ever have a bigger Duke moment. Well he could hit a couple of big shots in the FF for Duke's 5th championship. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
11-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Ryan and Mason were both outstanding. But what is the first thing anyone will remember about this game?

I voted for Tyler.

(And I hope we do not start having a separate poll for man of the moment. Part of the fun is trying to weigh the two. On a different night, I may have voted for Ryan or Mason even though someone hit a big shot. Tyler's shots, however, were WAY off the chart crazy drama good).

captmojo
11-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Mason's defense has been quite steady.
RK's game is really good.
I voted for Thornton because..how many more times this season, will we get to see him rise to that occasion? I hope that there aren't that many more that will come down so close that they require such dramatic shots. But, when it happens, I feel you must pass along all the accolades that go with it.

And, just because...9F!

Son of Mojo
11-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I voted for Thornton because..how many more times this season, will we get to see him rise to that occasion? I hope that there aren't that many more that will come down so close that they require such dramatic shots. But, when it happens, I feel you must pass along all the accolades that go with it.

And, just because...9F!

Dad, get to making with the Turkey day grub...... Amazing how we both vote for Thornton--is it genetics?

captmojo
11-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Dad, get to making with the Turkey day grub...... Amazing how we both vote for Thornton--is it genetics?

You possess all the traits of proper breeding.
And, she's got your turkey!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QigKQpWos&feature=related

MCFinARL
11-24-2011, 12:55 PM

I was thinking about a Singler comparison as well--the guy who just does whatever needs to be done. Kyle was heralded from the beginning, so much so that when his shooting fell off a bit last year some (including, apparently, NBA scouts) considered him disappointing, even though he was still making major contributions everywhere else on the floor. Ryan, on the other hand, is starting to take people by surprise a little bit because he hasn't always been expected to be this good.

ThePublisher
11-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Because in K I trust, and he said so. Definitely agree though. Ryan Kelly should be 1a in this voting. And of course without Thornton's awesome 3s who knows what would have happened.

NSDukeFan
11-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I thought the same thing as I watched Coach K talk about Tyler. What a great moment for this great young man. I guess I voted for him on emotion, and who knows if Tyler will ever have a bigger Duke moment. Well he could hit a couple of big shots in the FF for Duke's 5th championship. GoDuke!

And, just because...9F!

I picked Mason, in part due to being influenced by coach K in his post game comments, but agree with OPK and others that another day I could have voted for TT or RK.

The way Thornton's early career has been going, I have a feeling that there will be lots of other opportunities for him to come through in the clutch. He has certainly been a huge factor in a number of Duke wins in his short career.