PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Kansas Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

hurleyfor3
11-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Wednesday! Blue Devils! Jayhawks! The Maui Classic Championship! Discuss here!

subzero02
11-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Another quality opponent for our young team.... Was the 2003 ncaa tourney our last meeting with the jayhawks?

hurleyfor3
11-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Was the 2003 ncaa tourney our last meeting with the jayhawks?

Can't remember a more recent one.

I have a KU popcorn tub on my kitchen counter from a visit to Allen Fieldhouse a couple years back. Should I hide it?

DuKe4LiFe#30
11-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Should be a good test for our big guys to go up aganist a more athletic team and a dominat low post player in thomas robinson to help lead up to nxt week aganist ohio state and sullinger.

Duke 77
Kansas 69

Reilly
11-23-2011, 09:06 AM
So K goes after another championship tonight. Was wondering about his record in championship games. I didn't have a chance to look through all the yearly records to check for all the in-season tournaments, and I'm not sure whether some in-season tournaments would actually qualify as a championship ... some of what we know ...

National championship games (4-4)

Wins: 91 Kansas, 92 Michigan, 01 Ariz, 10 Butler
Losses: 86 L’ville, 90 UNLV, 94 Ark, 99 UConn

NCAA regional championship games (11-1)
Wins: 86 Navy, 88 Temp, 90 UConn, 91 SJU, 92 KY, 94 Pur, 99 Temp, 01 SC, 04 Xav, 10 Bay
Loss: 98 KY

ACC Tourney championship games (13-4)

Wins: 86 GT, 88 NC, 92 NC, 99 NC, 00 MD, 01 NC, 02 ST, 03 ST, 05 GT, 06 BC, 09 FS, 10 GT, 11 NC
Losses: 84 MD, 89 NC, 98 NC, 04 MD

.... so, that's 28-9 in those three big categories. Just insane. 28-9 is a stellar season-long record, when you are playing "warm-up" games .... 28-9 in big-time championship games (national title, go to the Final 4, ACC Tournament) - wow ...

Duke has won Maui all 4 times, right? So, that ups it to 32-9 in champ games ....

Don't know about other in-season tournaments, and whether some would count ... is the 1980-81 win over Detroit in the Iron Duke Classic a championship win? Is the loss that same year to Tenn in the Sugar Bowl Classic a championship game loss? There's a 1984-85 win over So Cal in the Bud Lite classic -- another championship? The loss in 1986-87 to Illini in a T'giving Classic. Isn't the win over Kansas in 1985-86 the pre-season NIT championship? (It's not denoted as such on the season database at goduke ...) And haven't there been others in NY (recalling DeMarcus getting one ...).

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 09:14 AM
It is hard for me to remember a more testing and fast-paced start to a season. Ranked teams, games from New York to Hawaii, very compressed schedule . . . .

This should be an interesting game. We are still learning to put it all together for 40 minutes, and it is a testament to the team that they have never folded when the games got tight. Seth, Dre and Kelly in particular have hit the shots when the game was on the line.

Tonight is gonna be fun. Go Devils!!!

davekay1971
11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
It is hard for me to remember a more testing and fast-paced start to a season. Ranked teams, games from New York to Hawaii, very compressed schedule . . . .

This should be an interesting game. We are still learning to put it all together for 40 minutes, and it is a testament to the team that they have never folded when the games got tight. Seth, Dre and Kelly in particular have hit the shots when the game was on the line.

Tonight is gonna be fun. Go Devils!!!

Austin is starting to show a tendence for big baskets as well. I voted for him as MOTM in the Michigan game largely because of his clutch 3 in the 2nd half to push back a Michigan run. It's the second game in a row where he was best in the 2nd half when the game was close. Austin clearly wants the ball in his hands in those situations. Between that desire to be the man and have the pressure on himself and his surly on-court demeanor, he's got a certain swagger and nastiness that reminds me of the attitude of one Mr. Laettner...

CDu
11-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I haven't seen Kansas play yet this year. But looking their roster, it doesn't seem like they have any sort of quality depth. Basically, it's Thomas Robinson inside, Tyshawn Taylor outside, and maybe Elijah Johnson setting things up. After that, there's not a lot of impact players. They have another tall kid (Withey) who rebounds and fouls a lot.

Taylor and Johnson are pretty athletic, so we'll (again) need to focus on defending the perimeter. I'd take my chances with Mason on Robinson. Not that Mason would shut Robinson down, just that he can give him a tough game inside. But if Taylor and Johnson do what Burke and Hardaway did in the second half, we'll be in for a very very tough night.

Reilly
11-23-2011, 10:36 AM
It is hard for me to remember a more testing and fast-paced start to a season. ...

Last year (or a couple years ago), wasn't there a piece on DBR about the earlier and earlier starts to the b'ball season? I looked to see how many hoops games Duke had played before the last regular season football gameday was over. Since 1986, seven times we had played 0 hoops games when football ended, 4 times we played 1 b'ball game, 5 times 2 b'ball games, three times played 3 b'ball games, twice played 5 hoops games (and one of those was 2001 w/ 9/11 causing a later end to the football season). Starting in 2006, we've played 6, 5, 7, 6, 6 and now tonight is game 7 before the regular football season ends. Perhaps a little attributable to the 12-game football season, but also to the earlier hoops calendar. Think about life as a Duke player: China, MSG, Maui ...

Billy Dat
11-23-2011, 11:15 AM
In doing a little pre-game research, it appears that UCLA did us a favor and kept it interesting against Kansas in the second half forcing Self to play his starters 30+ minutes. I was afraid they'd be the fresher team because they were up 17 at the half yesterday but that shouldn't be the case.

The scouts have Thomas Robinson pegged as a pro and with the Morris brothers gone, he steps into the spotlight. He's played well so far. He's thicker than Mason, but an inch shorter. Tyshawn Taylor is a talented guard, but he seems like kind of a knuckle head in terms of getting in trouble a lot and being inconsistent. Elijah Johnson had a big game last night in the SG spot. I watched Kansas play Kentucky last week and was impressed by the 7-footer, Jeff Withey.

We'll be favored, but I feel like it's a pretty even match. We go a few players deeper, but it's not such an advantage that it has to be "overcome". Should be a really good game.

jwm
11-23-2011, 11:22 AM
I haven't seen Kansas play yet this year. But looking their roster, it doesn't seem like they have any sort of quality depth. Basically, it's Thomas Robinson inside, Tyshawn Taylor outside, and maybe Elijah Johnson setting things up. After that, there's not a lot of impact players. They have another tall kid (Withey) who rebounds and fouls a lot.

Taylor and Johnson are pretty athletic, so we'll (again) need to focus on defending the perimeter. I'd take my chances with Mason on Robinson. Not that Mason would shut Robinson down, just that he can give him a tough game inside. But if Taylor and Johnson do what Burke and Hardaway did in the second half, we'll be in for a very very tough night.

I agree. Kansas is thin. Self has just eight recruited scholarship players. Only one starter returns, Tyshawn Taylor, who runs the point. Junior forward Thomas Robinson played behind NBA lottery picks, Marcus and Markieff Morris. The question on him is whether he can be a versatile scorer, instead of just cleaning up the boards and putting back chippies. Loyola Marymount transfer Kevin Young, a 6-8 forward broke freshman records at Loyola Marymount for rebounds, steals and blocked shots, but he's light and may not have the power to muscle shots up. Incoming freshmen Jamari Traylor and Ben McLemore, whom they were counting on, were ruled ineligible by the NCAA. This is a much different Kansas team from last year's, and Self is probably looking forward to tonight's game to see how his team will respond to the challenge Duke presents. I really like Self. He's a good coach who's going to get the most out of his players, but I don't think Kansas has the talent to compete on the highest levels this year. For Kansas, it's all about preparing for the Perry Ellis era which starts next year. Go Duke.

bluedevildaddy
11-23-2011, 11:39 AM
Duke/Kansas Tale of the Tape:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2011-2012&t1-type=&t1=duke&t2=kansas

Kansas player info & stats:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/kansas/players

Olympic Fan
11-23-2011, 01:00 PM
So K goes after another championship tonight. Was wondering about his record in championship games. I didn't have a chance to look through all the yearly records to check for all the in-season tournaments, and I'm not sure whether some in-season tournaments would actually qualify as a championship ... some of what we know ...

National championship games (4-4)

Wins: 91 Kansas, 92 Michigan, 01 Ariz, 10 Butler
Losses: 86 L’ville, 90 UNLV, 94 Ark, 99 UConn

NCAA regional championship games (11-1)
Wins: 86 Navy, 88 Temp, 90 UConn, 91 SJU, 92 KY, 94 Pur, 99 Temp, 01 SC, 04 Xav, 10 Bay
Loss: 98 KY

ACC Tourney championship games (13-4)

Wins: 86 GT, 88 NC, 92 NC, 99 NC, 00 MD, 01 NC, 02 ST, 03 ST, 05 GT, 06 BC, 09 FS, 10 GT, 11 NC
Losses: 84 MD, 89 NC, 98 NC, 04 MD

.... so, that's 28-9 in those three big categories. Just insane. 28-9 is a stellar season-long record, when you are playing "warm-up" games .... 28-9 in big-time championship games (national title, go to the Final 4, ACC Tournament) - wow ...

Duke has won Maui all 4 times, right? So, that ups it to 32-9 in champ games ....

Don't know about other in-season tournaments, and whether some would count ... is the 1980-81 win over Detroit in the Iron Duke Classic a championship win? Is the loss that same year to Tenn in the Sugar Bowl Classic a championship game loss? There's a 1984-85 win over So Cal in the Bud Lite classic -- another championship? The loss in 1986-87 to Illini in a T'giving Classic. Isn't the win over Kansas in 1985-86 the pre-season NIT championship? (It's not denoted as such on the season database at goduke ...) And haven't there been others in NY (recalling DeMarcus getting one ...).

Okay, you got the big ones -- Final Four, regionals and ACC Tournament. Let's look at in-season tournies (championship game outcomes):

Maui Classic: 4-0
BYU Thnaksgiving Classic (1987): 0-1
Great Alaskan Shootout: 1-2 (won in 1995-6, lost in 1998-99 and 2003-4 ... interesting that the two losers each ended up in the Final Four)
Coaches vs. Cancer: 1-0
CBE Classic: 1-1 (won in 2010-11, lost in 2006-07)
Fiesta Bowl Classic: 0-1
Iron Duke Classic: 2-0 (the 1981-82 team lost to Davidson, but that was in the first round)
Preseason NIT: 4-1 (lost to Indiana in 1996-97 title game,. won in 1985-86, 2000-01, 2005-06, 2009-10)
Rainbow Classic: 1-0
Sugar Bowl Tourney: 0-1
Trojan-Bud Light Classic: 1-0

I'm just counting "tournaments" -- not counting like the ACC-Big-Ten Challenge or the Wooden Classic that just involve just one game. And just counting records in championship games (for instance, Duke lost in the first round of the only Big Four Tournament that K participated in).

I count that as 15-7 in championshop games of in-season tournaments under Coach K.

Bob Green
11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
So, what defensive strategy will Coach K employ tonight against Kansas a team whose best player is 6'9" 235 lbs Thomas Robinson? Coach K is a master strategist so I'm confident he has a solid plan. I see two obvious options (I'm sure there are more):

1. Take away Kansas' #1 option by double teaming Robinson. Perhaps he becomes frustrated, commits a silly foul or two and ends up on the bench for significant minutes.

2. Think Indiana and Marco Killingsworth a few years ago. Let Robinson get his but shutdown the rest of the team, which turns Kansas into a one man show.

I'm thinking Thomas Robinson is a bit of a ball hog so I'm leaning toward option #2. It will not surprise me if Robinson puts up impressive double-double numbers, but Duke wins the game with a solid team effort.

NSDukeFan
11-23-2011, 02:00 PM
So, what defensive strategy will Coach K employ tonight against Kansas a team whose best player is 6'9" 235 lbs Thomas Robinson? Coach K is a master strategist so I'm confident he has a solid plan. I see two obvious options (I'm sure there are more):

1. Take away Kansas' #1 option by double teaming Robinson. Perhaps he becomes frustrated, commits a silly foul or two and ends up on the bench for significant minutes.

2. Think Indiana and Marco Killingsworth a few years ago. Let Robinson get his but shutdown the rest of the team, which turns Kansas into a one man show.

I'm thinking Thomas Robinson is a bit of a ball hog so I'm leaning toward option #2. It will not surprise me if Robinson puts up impressive double-double numbers, but Duke wins the game with a solid team effort.

I am hoping that Robinson continues the trend of players not shooting as well against Duke inside as you would think they might. This often coincides with Mason, Miles and Ryan contesting a lot of shots. What a great challenge inside for Duke in the next week with Robinson tonight and Sullinger next week. Go Mason, Go Miles, Go Ryan, Go Duke!

sagegrouse
11-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Bob, as long as we have two big mobile guys in the middle we will contest Mr. Robinson and probably have the second guy try to swat the ball away -- not a true double-team but a help situation.

sagegrouse

CDu
11-23-2011, 02:37 PM

Well, I don't think "ball hog" is the right way to describe Robinson. He's their best player and only consistent inside scoring threat. As such, he should shoot a lot. And despite that, he's still averaging 2.3 apg, which is pretty good for a big man.

Also, if he was a ball hog, I'd suggest that a double team makes more sense. If you know he's going to shoot it, you send the help early and make his shot more difficult and/or force a turnover. If you know he's a willing and able passer, the double-team/trap is dangerous because he'll find the open man.

I'd expect we'll play straight up unless he gets close to the rim. In that situation, if our other big is nearby, he'll come over and try to block the shot.

As far as the overall defense, I'd be more concerned about keeping Taylor and Johnson from getting into the lane. If they get into the lane, it won't matter what type of defense we want to play on Robinson - he'll be getting uncontested layups when our big has to provide help defense.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 02:55 PM
I am hoping that Robinson continues the trend of players not shooting as well against Duke inside as you would think they might. This often coincides with Mason, Miles and Ryan contesting a lot of shots.

Excellent point, this is a big game for Ryan's defense. Miles, PLEASE no reach-in fouls. Mason, PLEASE watch the offensive fouls.

ChillinDuke
11-23-2011, 03:01 PM

If I had to guess, I would think we would aim to shut down Taylor. Let Robinson get his. Although "his" might not be as much as usual given he's 6'9" dealing with a pair of high-leaping, 6'10"+ big men at all times.

On paper, I actually think we match up very well against Kansas. Looking forward to the game.

- Chillin

Wander
11-23-2011, 03:02 PM
"To be completely frank with you, we came here to play Duke."

Nice quote from Kansas coach Bill Self.

77devil
11-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Excellent point, this is a big game for Ryan's defense. Miles, PLEASE no reach-in fouls. Mason, PLEASE watch the offensive fouls.

Jay Bilas had a good line about Mason. Anytime he dribbles more than once on a post move, it likely will result in a charge. Then there was the play last night where Mason channeled his inner Austin. He got the ball after a high screen and proceeded to dribble 8 or 9 times finally into his planted defender for a charge.

Even close to the basket, MP1 & 2 are still struggling to put the ball up without a dribble. But there are moments every game that give us hope that it will all come together for them.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Jay Bilas had a good line about Mason. Anytime he dribbles more than once on a post move, it likely will result in a charge. Then there was the play last night where Mason channeled his inner Austin. He got the ball after a high screen and proceeded to dribble 8 or 9 times finally into his planted defender for a charge.

Even close to the basket, MP1 & 2 are still struggling to put the ball up without a dribble. But there are moments every game that give us hope that it will all come together for them.

Agreed 100%.

And this was also a problem for Zoubs for all but the last month of his career. But, boy, when he learned that lesson he was a BEAST. So better late than never, and no reason to wait until February!

gam7
11-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Okay, you got the big ones -- Final Four, regionals and ACC Tournament. Let's look at in-season tournies (championship game outcomes):

Great Alaskan Shootout: 1-2 (won in 1995-6, lost in 1998-99 and 2003-4 ... interesting that the two losers each ended up in the Final Four)
Trojan-Bud Light Classic: 1-0

The 98-99 Alaska loss was a memorable one. Cincinnati ran a great full-court inbounds play with just a couple of seconds left that resulted in a buzzer beating dunk by The Helicopter (Melvin Levett). The play looked very similar to the famous Valpo NCAA tourney buzzer beater, but Levett was able get to the rim rather than having to settle for a long 3. I thought that would be our only loss that year, and it was ... until UConn.

I don't remember a basketball tournament called the Trojan-Bud Light Classic, but I think my fraternity had a mixer by that name at Myrtle Beach before graduation. It was tremendous.

Johnboy
11-23-2011, 04:09 PM
So, what defensive strategy will Coach K employ tonight against Kansas a team whose best player is 6'9" 235 lbs Thomas Robinson?

Will Coach K deploy the Atticus Finch defense? Will Tom Robinson bust up Duke's chiffarobe?

(Sorry, but it's not often we get such a juicy American Lit reference from a basketball opponent . . . )

Reilly
11-23-2011, 04:24 PM

I count that as 15-7 in champ ... games of in-season tournaments under Coach K.

So 28-9 + 15-7 =

43-16 in championship games for Duke under K ... 73%

lumberbaron
11-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Bob, I hope like hell that's not what Duke does. I remember that game against Indiana--Duke was the far more talented team and Indiana hung in because Killingsworth was like a man possessed.

You double with the bigs because you're not afraid of that guy Withey hurting you, and you get the ball out of his hands and make somebody else beat you. The key, as it seems to be most every time Duke plays, is stopping guard penetration so they don't get easy looks from the guy driving or on easy dishes to the bigs.

Kansas plays good defense and chances are we won't continue shooting the 3 like we have, so we'll have to figure out how to score effectively in the half court. Can Mason give Robinson a battle on the offensive end, can Miles not drop the ball every time he touches it, and can Rivers finish in the lane and be smart enough to hit the open man rather than turn it over?

Kedsy
11-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Can Mason give Robinson a battle on the offensive end, can Miles not drop the ball every time he touches it, and can Rivers finish in the lane and be smart enough to hit the open man rather than turn it over?

Can DBR posters refrain from snarky jabs at Duke players during a 6 and 0 season?

crimsonandblue
11-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, I don't think "ball hog" is the right way to describe Robinson. He's their best player and only consistent inside scoring threat. As such, he should shoot a lot. And despite that, he's still averaging 2.3 apg, which is pretty good for a big man.

Also, if he was a ball hog, I'd suggest that a double team makes more sense. If you know he's going to shoot it, you send the help early and make his shot more difficult and/or force a turnover. If you know he's a willing and able passer, the double-team/trap is dangerous because he'll find the open man.

I'd expect we'll play straight up unless he gets close to the rim. In that situation, if our other big is nearby, he'll come over and try to block the shot.

As far as the overall defense, I'd be more concerned about keeping Taylor and Johnson from getting into the lane. If they get into the lane, it won't matter what type of defense we want to play on Robinson - he'll be getting uncontested layups when our big has to provide help defense.

Robinson is dealing with new looks and a new role with this Kansas squad. He was just an energy and garbage guy in a backup role to the Morris twins. Now, he's forced into a featured role and is seeing double teams with more frequency. He hasn't exactly looked great passing out of big-to-big double teams, but that's mostly because he's a little undersized (he doesn't look 6'10") and isn't all that experienced in being the focal point of an offense or the opposing defense. He has good vision, good handle for a big, and he's fairly skilled. But he's mostly an athlete.

It's an odd Kansas team for Self. Unusually thin, particularly up front. We'll struggle to score at times and have to rely on defense. If Withey and Robinson get in foul trouble, it will be a long night.

lumberbaron
11-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Can DBR posters refrain from snarky jabs at Duke players during a 6 and 0 season?

Really? Is honesty not allowed here if it isn't pro-Duke? What is this, Fox News?

I root hard for Miles and am a huge backer of the Plumlees. Without them we have no defense, they cover up for a lot. Is it not fair to say that it's been frustrating to see Miles turn the ball over as much as he has?

jamesfrommaiden
11-23-2011, 04:55 PM
If I hadn't already seen this Duke team play at the level they have against some tough competition I would be pretty worried going up against Kansas. These Devils have been tested early and have responded well. We have a more talented and deeper squad than KU. That is not a guarantee of victory, but I am confident in another Maui Championship tonight. If MPs 1 and 2 can control Robinson and the boards without fouling out we should pull it out. I don't know who Kansas will use to defend Ryan, but I believe this a big advantage for Duke. Lets bring home the first of many championships for the 2011/2012 basketball season.
LETS GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hurleyfor3
11-23-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't remember a basketball tournament called the Trojan-Bud Light Classic, but I think my fraternity had a mixer by that name at Myrtle Beach before graduation. It was tremendous.

Which product was the emphasis on, the former or the latter?

-jk
11-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Really? Is honesty not allowed here if it isn't pro-Duke? What is this, Fox News?

I root hard for Miles and am a huge backer of the Plumlees. Without them we have no defense, they cover up for a lot. Is it not fair to say that it's been frustrating to see Miles turn the ball over as much as he has?

You can critique the team; that's never been a problem. But "can Miles not drop the ball every time he touches it" borders on destructively negative.

-jk

tele
11-23-2011, 06:13 PM
I haven't seen Kansas play this seaon, but from the info here sounds like a good matchup. Should be a great game. The third game in three days for both teams is an aspect to consider too, for both teams. Be interesting to see how Coach K uses his bench, especially early in the game, might see more early substitutions and minutes for the bench than in the first two games. Go Duke!

Bob Green
11-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Bob, as long as we have two big mobile guys in the middle we will contest Mr. Robinson and probably have the second guy try to swat the ball away -- not a true double-team but a help situation.

If I had to guess, I would think we would aim to shut down Taylor. Let Robinson get his. Although "his" might not be as much as usual given he's 6'9" dealing with a pair of high-leaping, 6'10"+ big men at all times.

Bob, I hope like hell that's not what Duke does. I remember that game against Indiana--Duke was the far more talented team and Indiana hung in because Killingsworth was like a man possessed.

You double with the bigs because you're not afraid of that guy Withey hurting you, and you get the ball out of his hands and make somebody else beat you.

Thanks to all for the responses. It appears the consensus is we will double team (at least to a degree) Thomas Robinson in order to shutdown Kansas' leading scorer. It will be interesting to look for this strategy while watching the game tonight.

My follow on question is: will Duke's big men encounter foul trouble tonight due to the need to focus on containing Robinson? If yes, how does Coach K respond?

Miles and Mason have been prone to foul trouble throughout their careers, so we could see Duke playing a Ryan Kelly plus four guards line-up for significant minutes during tonight's game. Or, if Kelly happens to be one of the guys who picks up too many fouls, we could see a line-up of Plumlee (whichever one is not in foul trouble) plus four guards.

Interior foul trouble could result in some minutes for Mike Gbinije and/or Alex Murphy. I'm not too concerned as long as all three big guys don't become unavailable.

Thoughts? I'm excited for the game. Early season tournaments are exciting times, especially when you end up with a marquee match-up between two Blue Bloods such as Duke and Kansas!

MChambers
11-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks to all for the responses. It appears the consensus is we will double team (at least to a degree) Thomas Robinson in order to shutdown Kansas' leading scorer. It will be interesting to look for this strategy while watching the game tonight.

My follow on question is: will Duke's big men encounter foul trouble tonight due to the need to focus on containing Robinson? If yes, how does Coach K respond?

Miles and Mason have been prone to foul trouble throughout their careers, so we could see Duke playing a Ryan Kelly plus four guards line-up for significant minutes during tonight's game. Or, if Kelly happens to be one of the guys who picks up too many fouls, we could see a line-up of Plumlee (whichever one is not in foul trouble) plus four guards.

Interior foul trouble could result in some minutes for Mike Gbinije and/or Alex Murphy. I'm not too concerned as long as all three big guys don't become unavailable.

Thoughts? I'm excited for the game. Early season tournaments are exciting times, especially when you end up with a marquee match-up between two Blue Bloods such as Duke and Kansas!
I think you're forgetting Josh!

camion
11-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Our bigs may get in foul trouble against Kansas, but they haven't shown that tendency so far this year. Miles and Mason have each had 4 fouls once in six games and Ryan has never had more than three.

Thornton on the other hand...

Bob Green
11-23-2011, 07:22 PM

I'm not worried about Thornton as we are deep at guard. I suspect Coach K isn't worried about Thornton's fouls as well and is probably telling Thornton to stay up in the grill of the man he is defending regardless of his foul situation. What's the worst case scenario? The team is in a situation where a reserve guard has to play minutes at a crucial point in the game, but Tyler Thornton fouls out so Coach K is required to respond by playing Quinn Cook. That's not a bad scenario from my perspective. Thornton and Cook are both awesome options to have available on the bench.

blueduke59
11-23-2011, 07:49 PM
I'd like to see Cook get more action. As for the bigs I think foul trouble is a good possibilty. Robinson is pretty mobile and quicker than the Plumlees. If Kelly gets in foul trouble.......that would really hurt. It would be nice for MP3 to get at least a couple minutes but that's a long shot

tele
11-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Our bigs may get in foul trouble against Kansas, but they haven't shown that tendency so far this year. Miles and Mason have each had 4 fouls once in six games and Ryan has never had more than three.

Thornton has been getting some fouls called, but I dont think this is an altogether bad thing, in fact I think it may help the team. Besides adding toughness, and spelling other players who are guarding the ball etc, Tyler is also contributing fouls to the team total. Unfortunately, games are called now in the sometimes mistaken belief that an equal number of fouls called on each team equates to a fairly and well called game. No matter if one team actually fouls more than another. So if Duke is going to be called for their "fair quota" of fouls, no matter what, it is preferable to have tyler contribute his five fouls to Duke's total, as opposed to phantom or touch fouls on say Andre or Seth. That way the refs can even up the foul totals and head off any "duke gets all the calls" nonsense, and still not make any borderline or just bad calls against Duke's starters. Kind of doing foul arbitrage in a way. Tyler can afford to give a foul, even a hard foul that prevents a layup, where another player may not want to and have to sit because of foul trouble.

duke96
11-23-2011, 08:11 PM
The 98-99 Alaska loss was a memorable one. Cincinnati ran a great full-court inbounds play with just a couple of seconds left that resulted in a buzzer beating dunk by The Helicopter (Melvin Levett). The play looked very similar to the famous Valpo NCAA tourney buzzer beater, but Levett was able get to the rim rather than having to settle for a long 3. I thought that would be our only loss that year, and it was ... until UConn.

Typically in Myrtle the Bud Light comes before the Trojan.

Pghdukie
11-23-2011, 08:15 PM

If it was at Ocean Annie's---it doesn't make a difference

CDu
11-23-2011, 08:18 PM

First, I'm not sure that the consensus is that we'll double team. I think we'll play our usual help defense if he gets near the rim, but otherwise I think we'll defend straight up.

As for fouls... well, there's always the possibility that we could run into foul trouble in the post. But I think you're placing too much concern here on Robinson. He's a very talented player, but he's not some foul-drawing machine. Aside from the Georgetown game, he hasn't attempted more than 3 free throws in any game.

The guy merits some attention for sure. But I don't think we have to design our defense around stopping him.

Miles has certainly struggled with foul trouble throughout his career. Mason did so as well as a freshman and early in his sophomore year. But the second half of last year and for the most part this year (last game of course excluded) he's not had trouble with fouls.

And if one of our bigs does get in foul trouble, remember that we still have Hairston. So it's not like we have to jump down to Gbinije or Murphy or four guards if one (or even two) of our bigs get in foul trouble.

scheyeronfire
11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Predictions fellow Krazies?

DBR: scheyeronfire
Twitter: DukiePhil

77devil
11-23-2011, 08:31 PM

If it was at Ocean Annie's---it doesn't make a difference
Nice to see it's loose on game day. Do not drink while reading.

Bob Green
11-23-2011, 08:37 PM
The guy merits some attention for sure. But I don't think we have to design our defense around stopping him.

It just seems to me Coach K likes to game plan to take something away from the opponent and make them adjust. Against Tennessee and Michigan, his game plan was to take away the 3-point shot. My whole objective in posing the scenario is to generate discussion on what Kansas has that Coach K desires to take away.

gam7
11-23-2011, 08:43 PM

Sorry, but what happens in Myrtle stays in Myrtle. Unless, of course, it involves the horrible judgment of someone other than me.

CDu
11-23-2011, 08:57 PM
It just seems to me Coach K likes to game plan to take something away from the opponent and make them adjust. Against Tennessee and Michigan, his game plan was to take away the 3-point shot. My whole objective in posing the scenario is to generate discussion on what Kansas has that Coach K desires to take away.

I'm guessing it's Taylor and/or Johnson. But I don't think it'll involve double-teaming - just like it didn't involve double-teaming against Tennessee or Michigan.

We faced a really good big man in Draymond Green and didn't double team him. I'd expect the same tonight.

sagegrouse
11-23-2011, 09:16 PM

Let's all agree that when Tyler Thornton fouls, he gets his money's worth.

sagegrouse

jv001
11-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Let's all agree that when Tyler Thornton fouls, he gets his money's worth.

sagegrouse

Tyler gets his shot in when he fouls. But he also seems to get some pretty good pounding when he's fouled. Guess what goes around comes around. GoDuke!

lotusland
11-23-2011, 09:21 PM
the question I need answered is what the heck does rock chalk jayhawk mean?

sagegrouse
11-23-2011, 09:28 PM
the question I need answered is what the heck does rock chalk jayhawk mean?

History

The cult chant was first adopted by the university's science club in 1886. Chemistry professor E.H.S. Bailey and his colleagues were returning by train to Lawrence after a conference. During their travel, they discussed a need of a rousing yell. They came up with "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, Go KU"[1], repeated three times, which later became "Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU".

By 1889, "Rock Chalk"—a transposition of chalk rock, a type of limestone, that exists in Kansas, but only in the Cretaceous-age bedrocks of central and western parts of the state (more than 150 miles west of Lawrence) and on Mount Oread where the University is located, which is similar to the coccolith bearing chalk of the white cliffs of Dover—later replaced the two "rahs." Those responsible for the change are unknown with Bailey himself crediting the geology department[2] and others an English professor.[3]

Here's one view -- sagegrouse

Newton_14
11-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Actually, since early last year, Mason has done a much better job at not fouling. Mason averaged 2.5 fouls per game last season, and so far this year that number is down to 2.1. So I think he defends well now while limiting his fouls. Much improved there. Miles on the other hand, averaged 2.3 last season but played 300 fewer minutes than Mason. This year, Miles is at 2.1 in 77 less minutes than Mason.

Miles will have to work hard tonight to limit his fouls against Robinson. Kelly averaged 2.0 per last year and so far this year is at
1.08. This will be a good test for our frontline tonight. Josh will likely get a few minutes in the first half as well. Hopefully all 4 will play well. It will be interesting to see if K chooses to give Mason more touches down low tonight to try to get Robinson into foul trouble.

lotusland
11-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Here's one view -- sagegrouse

They should invent a more interesting story.

1 24 90
11-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Did anyone else just see that clip from practice where Andre and Josh (I think) had to be separated? Andre was fired up! I'm surprised they let that be filmed.

Newton_14
11-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Did anyone else just see that clip from practice where Andre and Josh (I think) had to be separated? Andre was fired up! I'm surprised they let that be filmed.

I saw it. Not that unusual really. Practices are physical and tempers sometimes flare. I loved K's response, where he set not to hold the temper but to use it. Just another teaching moment for the Master.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 10:07 PM
No live chat?

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Guess not. I'll talk to myself.

Seth looking good. Should be a battle all the way.

uh_no
11-23-2011, 10:22 PM
6 points all off three's....i'm happy to see that there are some drives, but I think we really need to work the ball around more before settling for 3s. We have taken what, 1 2 vs 4 3's? That's fine when we shoot 50%, but that's not always going to happen. (unless seth stays on his current pace)

loldevilz
11-23-2011, 10:26 PM
My guess were outscored in the paint 45-15

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Nice drive by Mason.

Both teams brought their offense. Who brought the D? That looks to be the question that will determine.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Nice hook by Mason, that's what we need

uh_no
11-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Nice drive by Mason.

Both teams brought their offense. Who brought the D? That looks to be the question that will determine.

We brought the three point shooting.....as I say that we score 4 straight inside.... :P

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 10:32 PM
wow Austin

uh_no
11-23-2011, 10:34 PM
wow Austin

exactly my thought.....we definitely made a concerted effort after that timeout to start going inside rather than pass around the perimeter and shoot

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Both teams look damn good.

Whoever wants to get the big stop will win this one.

CajunDevil
11-23-2011, 10:43 PM
College basketball's version of Dirk Nowitzki

uh_no
11-23-2011, 10:46 PM
College basketball's version of Dirk Nowitzki

those fakes......amazing

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Austin dagger.

KU's defense is a bit above ours right now. Need to change that.

jv001
11-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Austin dagger.

Gotta agree. Kansas can can guard the ball and their bigs are not bad. GoDuke!

hurleyfor3
11-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Hey, a Mr. Nit sighting. I of course refer to Dave Odom.

loldevilz
11-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Austin dagger.

Its amazing how good a defense looks when you just make the Duke bigs beat you.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Good half by both teams. KU's defense is a bit above ours, which is the difference right now.

Let's see what the second half shows.

Bluedog
11-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Most impressive thing of the first half to me has been the enthusiasm of the Kansas fans. ;) They are LOUD. Great fans. Good game thus far too. Definitely a solid test. Hope we wear them out in the second half.

1 24 90
11-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I really hope Kansas runs out of gas in the 2nd half (at least more than our guys).

uh_no
Good half by both teams. KU's defense is a bit above ours, which is the difference right now.

Let's see what the second half shows.

14-2 FT advantage for kansas....indicative of some of the problems we've had all year defensing off the dribble...needing to foul
17-9 rebound advantage for kansas

_Gary
This is easily the best defense we've faced all year. Almost no uncontested threes and tall timber inside making it hard for our guys to get off any uncontested shots. If Kansas can play this kind of "D" each night they'll be a lot better than #14 come the end of the year.

jv001
11-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Its amazing how good a defense looks when you just make the Duke bigs beat you.

Kansas is making our bigs beat them. They are defending our guards very very well. Almost all our perimeter shots are being contested. GoDuke!

MartyClark
11-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Hopefully our gunners start hitting in the second half. Miles needs to make a statement. He has become an offensive liability.

hq2
11-23-2011, 11:05 PM
They've been playing pretty good D, keeping our guards out of the lane. Our bigs have
responded, but we're having a hard time matching up with Robinson. Need to get Andre
involved more in the 2nd half.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey, a Mr. Nit sighting. I of course refer to Dave Odom.

I have had a few chances to meet Dave. Great guy, really surprised he did not do better at USC after leaving Wake.

jv001
11-23-2011, 11:09 PM
I have had a few chances to meet Dave. Great guy, really surprised he did not do better at USC after leaving Wake.

Great guy and just think Dave coached the bigs at Wake when Duncan was in school. At least that's what Dave told me. Dave must be what 6'10" or better, lol. GoDuke!

CajunDevil
11-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Defensive intensity needs to pick up and there is too much standing around on offense. Kansas came out wanting this win more than us.

We need to penetrate more to get to the ft line. Mason is playing strong on both ends and Kelly is an absolute stud. Also, Austin's threes and slashes to the hoop are unreal. He reminds me of a bigger Chris Jackson (LSU)

I'm intrigued as to what adjustments K will make. I think we need to go to Mason in the post more in the 2nd Half.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Better effort after the first 10 minutes getting it in the post. Mason with a couple of nice moves, along with a couple looking lost after the catch. He could score plenty with better/quicker entry passes.

Another nice game going for Kelly.

Rivers is stuttersteppin sometimes on a catch. He's gonna get called on that sooner or later.

Kansas is playing tough perimeter D, but making some poor decisions with the ball.

The inside intensity is about to go up in the second half for both sides is my guess.

loldevilz
11-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Defensive intensity needs to pick up and there is too much standing around on offense. Kansas came out wanting this win more than us.

We need to penetrate more to get to the ft line. Mason is playing strong on both ends and Kelly is an absolute stud. Also, Austin's threes and slashes to the hoop are unreal. He reminds me of a bigger Chris Jackson (LSU)

I'm intrigued as to what adjustments K will make. I think we need to go to Mason in the post more in the 2nd Half.

Curry just can't get into the teeth of their defense. I'd like to see more Cook. I think he could help get the offense rolling.

FellowTraveler
11-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Kansas picked up their 6th team foul with 11:24 remaining and 7th, putting Duke in the bonus, with 8:03 remaining. Foul #8 didn't come until the 1:47 mark. I'd like to see Duke do a better job of taking advantage of being in the bonus in such situations -- Rivers driving to the basket; dumping the ball in to Mason, etc. Not that they didn't do it at all, but it could've happened more; no Kansas fouls in 6+ minutes suggests Duke wasn't putting as much pressure on their (excellent) defense as they might. Rivers' quick, ill-considered three off an offensive rebound is one example -- he could have driven into the lane, as Kansas' D wasn't set.

Otherwise: Kelly took a couple of the types of threes I don't like to see him take -- rushed and/or well-guarded. Those aren't his shots. And I worry foul trouble is going to be a big problem.

But mostly: Kansas looks really good, and staying with them through 20 minutes is an accomplishment.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 11:25 PM
LOOK at K firing on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 11:31 PM
DEFENSE

And Rivers on the other end!!!

uh_no
11-23-2011, 11:32 PM
DEFENSE

And Rivers on the other end!!!

AS GOOD AS ADVERTISED!.....needs to hit the FT though...

ChrisP
11-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Yes, Austin! We need someone to step up here and draw some fouls on Kansas. Ugh on the missed FT. He needs to learn to calm down after a big play.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 11:34 PM
HELL YES, here we go!!!!!!!!

uh_no
11-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Mason Plumtree. Proving his quality.

ChrisP
Man, we are just not getting much from Andre tonight - only 3 shots thus far and 1 board. He seems to be standing around a lot :(

jacone21
feeling like March! Intense!

uh_no
11-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Man, we are just not getting much from Andre tonight - only 3 shots thus far and 1 board. He seems to be standing around a lot :(

Don't let the stats fool you. He has seemed strong on defense and the tight defense has prevented him from getting some great open looks. Just because he doesn't have the "numbers" doesn't mean he hasn't had an effect.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 11:37 PM
We look fresher -- Kansas getting tired?

CajunDevil
11-23-2011, 11:40 PM
We look fresher -- Kansas getting tired?

Agreed. We need an Austin dagger about now...

Utley
11-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I like our moxie the last 5 minutes or so - especially on D. This team is growing up in front of our eyes.

ChrisP
11-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Don't let the stats fool you. He has seemed strong on defense and the tight defense has prevented him from getting some great open looks. Just because he doesn't have the "numbers" doesn't mean he hasn't had an effect.

It's pretty easy to guard a guy who just stands still in the corner for large chunks of the shot clock - just sayin'.

FellowTraveler
11-23-2011, 11:41 PM

Also, his assist on Curry's three in the first half was a very smart cross-court pass under duress, and he just passed up an opportunity to put up a contested three in transition in favor of getting the ball to Mason deep in the post, who made a nice hook shot. In the NBA, Andre would've gotten an assist on that play, too. Regardless, it was a smart play and led to a bucket.

ChrisP
11-23-2011, 11:44 PM
I agree with K! No way!!!

uh_no
11-23-2011, 11:45 PM
I agree with K! No way!!!

Terrible call. guy clearly slid into him and then hacked him on top of it.....plus the ref on the baseline called a block and was overruled by the guy near the bench...

basket1544
11-23-2011, 11:47 PM
No one in this gym will be speaking tomorrow. I can't believe how loud it is!

ChrisP
11-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Jeez refs, let's GO! WTH???

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Refs froze TT

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 11:49 PM
nice RYAN

ChrisP
11-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Ugh, how many open 3's are we gonna miss?

FellowTraveler
11-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Offensive spacing needs work. When Andre's parked in the corner, Tyler probably shouldn't come over and stand three feet from him. Stuff like that happens too often (not limited to those two players.)

_Gary
11-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Tyler isn't who we want shooting 3's for us at this point in the game. He has to go to the bench. I'd rather see Cook if it's between those two.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Again, RYAN!!!!!

ChrisP
11-23-2011, 11:52 PM
I heart Ryan!!!

He's not shooting as well as he can but we need everything we've gotten from him. TGFR!

jacone21
11-23-2011, 11:52 PM
R. Kelly don't see nothin' wrong with a little bump and grind!

Duke79UNLV77
11-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Tyshon Taylor has his faults, but he is very quick and can get into the lane, and defending that is probably one of our weak spots. Good early season challenge. We're also learning to anticipate and help on the dribble penetration a little better.

NYBri
11-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Got to stop the penetration. Perimeter defense needs lots of work.

ChrisP
11-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Terrible decision by Rivers - jeez dude, come on!

FellowTraveler
11-23-2011, 11:55 PM
I still don't like seeing Ryan take 7 (and counting) threes in a game, and really don't like him taking them when rushed or closely guarded, but I will say he's better than I expected so far this year.

Duke79UNLV77
11-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Our guards stood around and watched the long rebound off that 3.

ChrisP
11-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes, 4th on Withey! We need Curry and Dawkins to step up offensively. Way to knock down the FT's Mason!

NYBri
Austin sits with 4 at the 6 minute mark. Yikes.

dukemsu
This game is a fistfight. Fantastic intensity.

LGD.

dukemsu

loldevilz
11-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Withey with 4 fouls. That could be huge for Kansas.

jacone21
Just enjoy the moment, y'all. This is exactly what we miss in July.

1 24 90
Austin sits with 4 at the 6 minute mark. Yikes.

Annoying that one of those is the "charge".

ChrisP
11-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Seems like we can't catch a break - missed shots and they get the ball back. I hate games like this...

loldevilz
11-24-2011, 12:00 AM
We are really struggling at limiting Kansas to one possession. We have to get defensive rebounds

dukemsu
Robinson is a stud. Maybe the best individual performance I've seen this season.

dukemsu

uh_no
We are really struggling at limiting Kansas to one possession. We have to get defensive rebounds

As well as our bigs have played on offense/defense tonight, they're getting killed on the boards. I should be specific, mason has been alright....but kelly with 2?

ChrisP
11-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Ok, Mason, make at least 1 of these, ok? We need every point we can get here...

ChrisP
11-24-2011, 12:05 AM
That looked like a flop to me - jeez!

dukemsu
11-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Brutal call on Mase.

Something has to be done about how the offensive foul is being called in this sport.

It's ruining the game. Guys are just flopping all over the floor and getting rewarded for it.

dukemsu

Utley
11-24-2011, 12:07 AM
This is fun. Mason being really tough out there. Also can't help but like the way Thornton plays.

CDu
11-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Brutal call on Mase.

Something has to be done about how the offensive foul is being called in this sport.

It's ruining the game. Guys are just flopping all over the floor and getting rewarded for it.

dukemsu

Agreed. Even though we've certainly benefited from the charges over the years, I don't like how that call has evolved.

1 24 90
11-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Sean Mcdonough just said Duke has 5 Maui championships so I guess we're going to win.

dukemsu
11-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Agreed. Even though we've certainly benefited from the charges over the years, I don't like how that call has evolved.

It's worse with the circle in.

Now people are flopping 40 feet from the basket and being rewarded with a call. No one will drive the basket anymore for fear of a flop.

It's just terrible.

dukemsu

ChrisP
11-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Way to go, Dre! How about back-to-back, baby!

OldPhiKap
11-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Nice hit by Andre, need to clamp down on Defense!!!

dukemsu
11-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Beautiful set, with Kelly finding Dawk.

dukemsu

loldevilz
Why isn't Rivers on the floor yet?

NYBri
Curry takes the charge! Now convert.

ChrisP
11-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Tyler, my MAN!!! Love it!!!!!!!!

dukemsu
Tyler!

dukemsu

licc85
man, is anyone else just a total nervous wreck right now? this feels like march already . . .

loldevilz
Why isn't Rivers on the floor yet?

I guess that was a bit too early

1 24 90
Tylerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

NYBri
11-24-2011, 12:15 AM
TT! Wow.

ChrisP
11-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Ok, winning time...come on Duke!!!

jacone21
11-24-2011, 12:16 AM
I think I just injured myself. :D

ChrisP
Tyler just wins, baby! BTW, I also heart him (along with Ryan). That was lucky but I will freakin' take it

dukemsu
TYLER AGAIN!

dukemsu

uh_no
11-24-2011, 12:17 AM
TT! Wow.

I'm not even mad......

Utley
Tyler Thornton!!!! My comment about him a minute earlier was before either 3.

fan345678
Tyler Thornton trending on Twitter in 3...2...

ChrisP
11-24-2011, 12:18 AM
What is Jay Bilas talking about? I didn't think it was so obvious that Curry walked. Looked like a pretty solid jump stop to me. If his feet moved, it was because he was pushed.

mr shadow 008
11-24-2011, 12:18 AM
What a shot by Tyler!

1 24 90
11-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Happy thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisP
11-24-2011, 12:19 AM
How about Mason making his FT's to close it out! I take back all the bad stuff I said about him being a horrible FT shooter :D

Rogue
11-24-2011, 12:20 AM
OUR BENCH ,, their reaction,, UN REAL,, what a T E A M

zack2014
What is Jay Bilas talking about? I didn't think it was so obvious that Curry walked. Looked like a pretty solid jump stop to me. If his feet moved, it was because he was pushed.
He walked...He also was fouled. In other news, I am very proud of how everyone played tonight. This was a good win

ChrisP
Ok, KU fans, there are lots of bad calls during a game - stop booing and grow the heck up!