PDA

View Full Version : Hack-A-Mason

flyingdutchdevil
11-22-2011, 11:03 PM
It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

38% from the line. I really hope no opponent catches on to this one...

Billy Dat
11-22-2011, 11:09 PM
What's interesting is that when Michigan was in extend-the-game mode for the final 2 minutes, they had a couple of opportunities to foul Mason and they didn't. I was pretty surprised.

SCMatt33
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

38% from the line. I really hope no opponent catches on to this one...

With only five fouls per person, it's really not worth it if Mason isn't dominating. I don't think it's a good general strategy for teams, but I am a bit surprised that teams don't foul him in the last minute when he touches the ball. Duke doesn't run it's late game offense through him, but he has definitely touched the ball on those possessions. The biggest example of that was the Belmont game. During the possession that Dawkins hit the big three, Mason had the ball at the top of the key for a good 2-3 seconds. It would have been a good play to foul him.

diesel
11-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Whether the opposing team knows it or not, I think Coach K does. I am under the impression that Mason isn't allowed on the floor in decisive game -end situations. Am I right?

UrinalCake
11-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Only a matter of time before opponents start calling Mason "the bricklayer." I hope he can get his percentage up. He won't ever be JJ, but if he could at least have a Lance Thomas-type breakthrough then that would be good (below 60% his first three years, then 74% his senior year). I think so much of it is confidence. He has to think that he's going to make them when he goes up to the line.

basket1544
11-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Part of it is confidence but another part is form. He has to bend his knees. His shot is on target but as long as he isn't bending his knees, he isn't giving himself a friendly rim.

Matches
11-23-2011, 08:32 AM
What's interesting is that when Michigan was in extend-the-game mode for the final 2 minutes, they had a couple of opportunities to foul Mason and they didn't. I was pretty surprised.

Mason was off the floor for most of that time. We played Kelly with 4 guards.

77devil
11-23-2011, 08:37 AM
With only five fouls per person, it's really not worth it if Mason isn't dominating. I don't think it's a good general strategy for teams, but I am a bit surprised that teams don't foul him in the last minute when he touches the ball. Duke doesn't run it's late game offense through him, but he has definitely touched the ball on those possessions. The biggest example of that was the Belmont game. During the possession that Dawkins hit the big three, Mason had the ball at the top of the key for a good 2-3 seconds. It would have been a good play to foul him.

Duke platooned Mason and Ryan down the stretch against Michigan once it was in the one and one. Expect this to continue when protecting leads.

devildeac
11-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Mason was off the floor for most of that time. We played Kelly with 4 guards.

We did something like that last season on occasion. I believe someone here called it Kyle and the 4 Shrimps.

I noticed that also against MSU and/or Belmont a couple times. Kelly and 4 guards. UM did have a couple brief occasions to foul Mason last PM but K did not give them many chances/much time to do so. Good planning.

MChambers
11-23-2011, 09:29 AM
We did something like that last season on occasion. I believe someone here called it Kyle and the 4 Shrimps.

I noticed that also against MSU and/or Belmont a couple times. Kelly and 4 guards. UM did have a couple brief occasions to foul Mason last PM but K did not give them many chances/much time to do so. Good planning.

I think the preferred name was Kyle and the 4 Pips. But you're right, it's been a staple of K's, when it fits the personnel. Gives you better ball handling and foul shooting, and better 3 point defense (in theory).

devildeac
11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I think the preferred name was Kyle and the 4 Pips. But you're right, it's been a staple of K's, when it fits the personnel. Gives you better ball handling and foul shooting, and better 3 point defense (in theory).

It should give us better on-ball D also and decrease the dribble penetration, though after giving up 53 points in the 2nd half last night when UM got hot from everywhere, it did gave me a bit of concern.

flyingdutchdevil
11-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Only a matter of time before opponents start calling Mason "the bricklayer." I hope he can get his percentage up. He won't ever be JJ, but if he could at least have a Lance Thomas-type breakthrough then that would be good (below 60% his first three years, then 74% his senior year). I think so much of it is confidence. He has to think that he's going to make them when he goes up to the line.

I would be happy with Mason at 60%. That's a good 25% over his current average. Currently, Mason is shooting 10% worse each year (from 55% to 45% to 35%). This is unacceptable.

I'm sure he'll get better, but right now, this is bad.

gwlaw99
11-23-2011, 10:20 AM
The first couple of games his free throws looked much better. More arc and softer. I wonder if it is all in his head.

CDu
11-23-2011, 10:24 AM
The first couple of games his free throws looked much better. More arc and softer. I wonder if it is all in his head.

I'm sure a lot of it is in his head, but there are some mechanical issues too. He's got way too much noise in his shot. Too much body movement (sometimes his upper body is moving forward, kind of like a weeble wobble) and too much arms (pushing the shot). Now, that may also be in his head (overthinking the form).

MChambers
11-23-2011, 10:56 AM
It should give us better on-ball D also and decrease the dribble penetration, though after giving up 53 points in the 2nd half last night when UM got hot from everywhere, it did gave me a bit of concern.

It also didn't work all that well in the final minutes against MSU. Maybe K should not use that lineup against teams from the state of Michigan, or perhaps not state universities.

Seriously, I'd like to see Murphy or Silent G earn some time in this lineup (and in all situations) but I expect that is too much to expect from freshmen.

NSDukeFan
11-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Duke platooned Mason and Ryan down the stretch against Michigan once it was in the one and one. Expect this to continue when protecting leads.

I was a bit surprised by that as I consider Ryan a pretty solid defensive player, though I guess at that point in the game the team was more worried about quicker players penetrating and shooting 3s.

Newton_14
11-23-2011, 05:42 PM
I would be happy with Mason at 60%. That's a good 25% over his current average. Currently, Mason is shooting 10% worse each year (from 55% to 45% to 35%). This is unacceptable..

Unacceptable? To who? Are you entitled to have Mason shoot 60% or higher? Does he have to come to your house and run laps if he doesn't improve?

The guy is struggling mightily at the line. We all know that. Declaring it "unacceptable" is way over the line.

I imagine the staff and Mason are working together to try to help him improve. I believe he can improve, but until he does, it is one of those things that will have to be overcome in other ways.

77devil
11-23-2011, 08:39 PM
I was a bit surprised by that as I consider Ryan a pretty solid defensive player, though I guess at that point in the game the team was more worried about quicker players penetrating and shooting 3s.

Good point. When the opposition is playing big, Kelly will probably stay in on the defensive end with either Mason or Miles.

Kedsy
11-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Mason was 7 for 9 from the line tonight. Y'all ragged on him when he missed, let's give him his due for a great performance against Kansas.

CDu
11-24-2011, 01:03 AM
The kid was awesome tonight. I'll take 7-9 shooting any day of the week!

Hopefully he builds some confidence from this game. He can now say he matched up with one of the best bigs in the country and didn't miss a beat. He even took it to Robinson down the stretch.

wilko
11-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Mason was 7 for 9 from the line tonight. Y'all ragged on him when he missed, let's give him his due for a great performance against Kansas.

YUP!
Agreed, In the final 5min it looked like he was 4/6? He had a better conversion than I thought he would in crunch time.
Mondo props to Mason and keep it up!