PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs Michigan

Bob Green
11-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Who was the Man-of-the-Match?

basket1544
11-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Through 2 of the 3 games, who do you think will be MVP of the tournament?

ACCBBallFan
11-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Again, an argument can be made for any of the starters, but Ryan Kelly was best.

For metrics I total minutes, points, assists, boards, assists, and blocks less fouls less turnovers. I calculated my own minutes to one decimal.

Metrics +/- Total Duke player, posiiton

61.5 +6 67.5 Ryan Kelly, F
60.0 +4 64.0 Austin Rivers, G
54.5 +7 61.5 Seth Curry, G

49.6 +8 57.6 Andre Dawkins, G

35.7 +8 43.7 Mason Plumlee, F

17.2 +3 20.2 Miles Plumlee, F

16.8 (4) 12.8 Tyler Thornton, G

02.8 +3 05.8 Quinn Cook, G
04.0 00 04.0 Josh Hairston, F

Not a lot of separation in +/- or by lineup that I will post in the post game thread.

ACCBBallFan
11-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Again, an argument can be made for any of the starters, but Ryan Kelly was best.

For metrics I total minutes, points, assists, boards, assists, and blocks less fouls less turnovers. I calculated my own minutes to one decimal.

Not a lot of separation in +/- or by lineup that I will post in the post game thread.

Newton_14
11-22-2011, 10:24 PM
I went with Austin tonight. Set the new career high with 20 points, played good defense, drove it and finished well, and had some kickouts off drives. He also hit some big 3's to stop Michigan runs. Very good game by the freshman.

And Bob, I watched intently for this, and Austin had one great drive dribbling exclusively with his left hand! He finished with a right hand layup, but when they showed the replay from the baseline, the dribble move with the left hand was awesome!:)

Like you I had not remembered him driving lefty, but he sure did it well on that move.

Now, on to the title game! Go Duke!

Saratoga2
11-22-2011, 10:31 PM
I picked Kelly tonight due to the quality of his play during the entire game. He was solid in all aspects. My second choice, and not by much was Seth. He quietly went about using his cunning and experience to really contribute to our success. Austin was my third choice as he also had a quality game. He has a few things to straighten out, but perhaps has the highest potential of anyone on the team.

Bob Green
11-22-2011, 10:40 PM
And Bob, I watched intently for this, and Austin had one great drive dribbling exclusively with his left hand! He finished with a right hand layup, but when they showed the replay from the baseline, the dribble move with the left hand was awesome!:)

Thanks! I focused on Rivers as much as I could tonight and saw him go left several times. Based on my observations tonight, and the solid beat down I received in the Tennessee thread after criticizing his left hand, I'll back down off my "Rivers has no left hand" statement and revise it to a "Rivers has lots of room for improvement with his left hand" statement.

I'm standing by to beat down again. :cool:

mkline09
11-22-2011, 10:50 PM
I wanted to go White Raven again tonight but I just felt like Rivers stepped up his overall game tonight. He drove found open guys (3 assists) hit some big shots and wanted the ball in his hands at games end. He also had four rebounds. Nice games out of Dawkins, and Curry again. Curry to me has been consistently the best player all season, with Kelly behind him.

Billy Dat
11-22-2011, 11:02 PM
I wanted to go White Raven again tonight but I just felt like Rivers stepped up his overall game tonight. He drove found open guys (3 assists) hit some big shots and wanted the ball in his hands at games end. He also had four rebounds. Nice games out of Dawkins, and Curry again. Curry to me has been consistently the best player all season, with Kelly behind him.

Is that, White Raven, a Kelly knickname? I likes.

I voted Austin but Ryan and Seth were right there.

devildeac
11-22-2011, 11:40 PM

I kinda look at it in this manner, too. Not much to separate these 3 guys. Pick one. I'll take Ryan tonight but good arguments can readily be made for Austin or Seth, too.

NSDukeFan
11-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Thanks! I focused on Rivers as much as I could tonight and saw him go left several times. Based on my observations tonight, and the solid beat down I received in the Tennessee thread after criticizing his left hand, I'll back down off my "Rivers has no left hand" statement and revise it to a "Rivers has lots of room for improvement with his left hand" statement.

I'm standing by to beat down again. :cool:
I don't think Austin has any issue driving left, but he rarely uses his left hand to finish.

Greg_Newton
11-23-2011, 04:02 AM
I don't think Austin has any issue driving left, but he rarely uses his left hand to finish.

I've said this before, but I think it's more a matter of footwork and habit than of skill. He makes some beautiful lefty finishes at times, but often goes to his right when the default finish would be with the left. I just think he's so used to driving and using his steps to set up a left-foot elevation - which go very fast, by the way - that by the time he gets to the finish, it would be awkward to use his left.

Anyway, no question in my mind that Austin was the MOTM. First of all, he "Nolan'd" Hardaway Jr. in the first half - he was on him fiercely on every possession, and completely took him out of the game (which allowed us to build our lead). Second, it wasn't just his point total, it was when and how he scored - for the second night in the row, he made some huge shots out of nothing when we really needed a bucket. Throw in the four assists, and it's a no-brainer for me!

Really fun watching him, Ryan and Mason develop, in particular. There's tangible improvement from game-to-game.

captmojo
11-23-2011, 05:50 AM

The extra 'L' deserves the extra post. Well done!
:D
Kelly got my vote too. He was the most consistent player on the floor.

NSDukeFan
11-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I've said this before, but I think it's more a matter of footwork and habit than of skill. He makes some beautiful lefty finishes at times, but often goes to his right when the default finish would be with the left. I just think he's so used to driving and using his steps to set up a left-foot elevation - which go very fast, by the way - that by the time he gets to the finish, it would be awkward to use his left.

Anyway, no question in my mind that Austin was the MOTM. First of all, he "Nolan'd" Hardaway Jr. in the first half - he was on him fiercely on every possession, and completely took him out of the game (which allowed us to build our lead). Second, it wasn't just his point total, it was when and how he scored - for the second night in the row, he made some huge shots out of nothing when we really needed a bucket. Throw in the four assists, and it's a no-brainer for me!

Really fun watching him, Ryan and Mason develop, in particular. There's tangible improvement from game-to-game.

Every move he makes goes very fast. I haven't seen anyone yet who has been able to consistently keep him in front of them. I picked Austin as well for MOTM, but could have certainly picked Ryan or Seth. I agree he made some big shots at important times, which I expect will be a recurring theme. He is not afraid of the moment, which is good considering his choice of schools.
I can't agree with you more about the enjoyment of watching the improvement of Austin and others, which is one of the reasons I so enjoy the college game.

NYBri
11-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Went with Kelly tonight.

theAlaskanBear
11-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Let me make the case for Seth.

He gets 17pts on 7shots! Thats some crazy efficiency right there...perfect from 3. With Austin and Dawkins getting a lot more shots, Curry's ability to score without dominating the ball the key to game. If he shoots 50% its a radically different game.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Voted for Kelly for overall play, although Seth was huge. And big kudos to Austin -- his kick to Seth for three in the second half was a very mature play.

slower
11-23-2011, 09:17 AM

He gets 17pts on 7shots! Thats some crazy efficiency right there...perfect from 3.

That's awesome. Well, almost as awesome as Ryan getting 17 on 6 shots. :)

CDu
11-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Wish I could vote for two players. If I could, it'd be Curry and Kelly. Since I can't, I flipped a coin and it came up Curry.

Kudos as well to Rivers for starting to show better decisionmaking (still a work in progress, but yesterday was better than previously) and for his defensive effort on Hardaway, Jr.

SilkyJ
11-23-2011, 09:26 AM
I went with Austin tonight. Set the new career high with 20 points, played good defense, drove it and finished well, and had some kickouts off drives. He also hit some big 3's to stop Michigan runs. Very good game by the freshman.

Definitely Austin's best game. Love his intensity on D as well.

He does need to tone down the woofing. Its a fine line to walk b/c you don't want to coach him out of his aggressiveness, intensity and ego, but he's got to focus on channeling that for himself and his team and not as much on trash talking. I've noticed a lot more woofing out our guards this year than I'd like. Captains need to reign that in.

Then again, they are looking like the best backcourt in the country :)

He gets 17pts on 7shots! Thats some crazy efficiency right there...perfect from 3. With Austin and Dawkins getting a lot more shots, Curry's ability to score without dominating the ball the key to game. If he shoots 50% its a radically different game.

Great night for Seth. That's awesome efficiency. Shooting 58% from 3 (!) so far this year.

OldPhiKap
11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
I've noticed a lot more woofing out our guards this year than I'd like. Captains need to reign that in.

Put me down as a "+1" on this.

SilkyJ
11-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Put me down as a "+1" on this.

Its strange to me b/c that's not our MO and not something K usually stands for. I expect he's focused on bigger issues right now and on the fact that we're playing 7 games in 12 days or whatever it is. As we get into a slower period, maybe over the holidays, hopefully we can address some of these finer points.

Wander
11-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Not really a MOTM candidate, but who would have thought that Thornton of all guys would be the one to make plays in the last seconds of the shot clock?

CDu
11-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Not really a MOTM candidate, but who would have thought that Thornton of all guys would be the one to make plays in the last seconds of the shot clock?

Yeah, those were huge. I will say that I don't think I want to see him making the end-of-clock plays moving forward (that first one was quite a lucky break - the second was very nice), but I'm glad he stepped up when we needed it last night.

loldevilz
11-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet but Rivers definitely had the shot of the game today. At the beginning of the second half Michigan went on a bit of a run and Rivers hit that huge three which really knocked them back. For all the complaints about how inefficient a scorer he's been, there haven't been much talk about how he really makes his shots count.

jamesfrommaiden
11-23-2011, 05:01 PM
I had to go with Austin. Ryan was great, but I think Austin sealed the deal with those two dagger in the heart threes he hit in the second half. Not a great shooter, but he is soooooooo clutch. Love the swagger.
LETS GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!