PDA

View Full Version : Miami self imposes a bowl ban

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Miami did something that unc will refuse to do; they have self imposed a bowl ban for this season. This is after they are bowl eligible, by the way. From Heather Dinich's blog...

One day after becoming bowl eligible with a last-second 6-3 win over South Florida, Miami AD Shawn Eichorst walked into Golden’s office on Sunday and told him that the university decided to self-impose a bowl ban (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7261664/miami-hurricanes-forgo-bowl-game-due-ncaa-probe) for this season in order to hopefully offset possible NCAA sanctions resulting from a widely publicized investigation.

“The current players on our team have been reinstated and have paid their debt,” Golden said. “Now, as a team and a program, we feel like we’re paying our debt and we feel like we have a chance to put these issues behind us. That’s why I feel it’s the right decision at this time.”
“Clearly this is something we have to do now to move the program forward in the future,” he said.
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/32986/bowl-ban-necessary-step-for-miami
The heels outta look at this as something they should think about, but if they don't it will be interesting to see if the NCAA looks at Miami's decision with kindness later, and if they are less kind to unc. Miami's infractions are larger, and warrant serious penalties...but carolina's infractions also warrant a bowl ban, IMO. This will be an interesting comparison when the punishments are meeted out.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Though it is a positive step, this is not some huge act of kindness by the Canes. They would likely be playing in a marginal bowl. I'm sure that very few of their fans would be making the trip so based on my understanding of bowl game economics, they would likely be taking a financial loss on the game. The extra few weeks of practice would be helpful, but otherwise, I don't think many Miami faithful are mourning that they won't be making a trip to Nashville or Shreveport.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Though it is a positive step, this is not some huge act of kindness by the Canes. They would likely be playing in a marginal bowl.
Possibly true, but given that the U is playing BC for their last game, they will probably end up with at least as good of an overall record as the heels, and a better record in the conference, so they will be getting the better bowl. And from experience, if that many fans show up to see them blow out Duke in Wade when the game is on tv, they would show up to see them play in a lowly bowl.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I applaud the U for taking this step, it is certainly warranted and shows some level of contrition.

UNC, go to Hell.

-- OPK