PDA

View Full Version : DUKE v. dog gack orange

ABF
11-21-2011, 10:11 AM
It's been quite awhile since I've posted here but I could not let this auspicious moment -- the upcoming match-up between Duke and the dog gacks -- go by without comment.

First, a big hello to all of my friends here and I've missed you. Second, credit for the term "dog gack orange" to describe the big orange nation goes to my old friend, Buddy Womble.

And finally... those of you are not familiar with the dog gacks may not know the extent of their fans' agregious behavior. I have never taunted them about anything whatsoever during my many years of living here, despite being subjected to their (former) gushing over Bruce Pearl (whatever); their constant "jokes" (so funny) about Duke football, including being taunted at a Duke/dog gack football game (I mean, really?! This is akin to Duke basketball fans taunting unc-g fans); and taunts from them a few years ago simply because UT men's basketball was ranked more highly than Duke for a day or so.

All of you, however, are thoroughly acquainted with our beloved tar heeyuls and the highly-developed sense of nervousness and anxiety which accompanies every Duke/unc game.. that feeling which never seems to wane but grows stronger with each passing year.

So, today, for me, it's akin to Duke v. carolina day. It is only appropriate that I close with 31 years' worth of pent-up

GO TO HELL, UT, GO TO HELL!

Anne

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I like everything you've written here.

I'm still depressed about the Vandy loss in Knoxville on Saturday. This was the first year that I know of that I felt they had the worse team, and Vandy still lost.

Go Duke, Beat UT. Help me get over Saturday.

burnspbesq
11-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I dunno ... all of my Duke-Tennessee memories are of women's games, and most of those are good memories (I'm giving Wynter Whitley a pass this morning). Most recently, of Lindsey and Abby going into Knoxville and leading a 19-0 run to open the game. Gad, that was fun to watch.

Do our men ever play against them?

Duvall
11-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I dunno ... all of my Duke-Tennessee memories are of women's games, and most of those are good memories (I'm giving Wynter Whitley a pass this morning). Most recently, of Lindsey and Abby going into Knoxville and leading a 19-0 run to open the game. Gad, that was fun to watch.

No. Last meeting was in 1980.

Weirdly, this is Duke's first game against an SEC opponent since the 2006 Southeast Regional Semifinal.

Stray Gator
11-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Welcome back, ABF! Glad to see the intervening years haven't diminished your enthusiasm for the Blue Devils . . . or your antipathy towards the Vawls. Here's hoping you'll be able to sport your Duke gear around Knoxville with a big grin this week.

Jim3k
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Glad you're back ABF. Missed ya over here, though I know you've been around elsewhere.

CBDUKE
11-21-2011, 04:02 PM
ABF, tell your Tennessee "friends" that since 1945 Duke's record against Tennessee in football is 9-8-1! Seems like we have held our own.

77devil
11-21-2011, 05:47 PM

I don't recall the men having played the Vols in a long, long time. During my time at Duke, we played against the nationally ranked "Bernie and Ernie" show twice in consecutive years splitting the series.

kmspeaks
11-21-2011, 05:59 PM
No. Last meeting was in 1980.

Weirdly, this is Duke's first game against an SEC opponent since the 2006 Southeast Regional Semifinal.

Ugh. I could have gone years without having that memory dragged back to the front of my brain :(

OZZIE4DUKE
11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
It's been quite awhile since I've posted here
Anne
I did quite a double take when I saw that you had posted here again! Welcome back! I trust you approve of the outcome :)

ABF
11-22-2011, 12:56 AM
I am very very happy and relieved all is right with the universe as evidenced by tonight's win. Phew.

Re: Note about Duke v. vols football. I had the pleasure of attending two of the "W's" in Neyland Stadium, first in 1982 and again in 1988. Good times!

anne

DukieInKansas
11-22-2011, 02:06 AM
What is with the blue shirts and warm up shirts? I thought the UT colors were Orange and White. Orange and blue is not a good combination unless it is an orange disk on the side of a gas station. :D

Newton_14
11-22-2011, 07:18 AM
What is with the blue shirts and warm up shirts? I thought the UT colors were Orange and White. Orange and blue is not a good combination unless it is an orange disk on the side of a gas station. :D

i had the same question! Their warmup's looked like UNC and those socks, ugh! U G L Y u ain't got no alibi!

When did they make that horrid addition to their colors?:eek:

77devil
11-22-2011, 08:03 AM
I am very very happy and relieved all is right with the universe as evidenced by tonight's win. Phew.

Re: Note about Duke v. vols football. I had the pleasure of attending two of the "W's" in Neyland Stadium, first in 1982 and again in 1988. Good times!

anne

A group of us made the road trip my senior year to watch Duke beat the Vols in Neyland. The orange was almost blinding. My vision has been impaired ever since.
We lost to Tennessee my freshman year in Wally Wade. That Vol's team was led by Condredge Holloway, aka the artful dodger, and first AA to start at QB in the SEC.

burnspbesq
11-22-2011, 09:35 AM
The worst outbreak of orange in history may have been at the 2003 Women's Final Four: Tennessee AND Texas. I was there. It was brutal.

rasputin
11-22-2011, 11:40 AM
I've been to a couple of NCAA tournament games Tennessee was in. I've always rooted against them ever since, only because I never want to hear "Rocky Top" again.

wk2109
11-22-2011, 11:44 AM

My guess is that adidas wanted to make a 'Hawaiian"-themed warmup shirt for UT and Michigan (who also had warmups in the same shade of weird clashing blue).

Duvall
11-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Those are special adidas Hawaiian-themed shooting shirts for the Maui Invitational. Fellow adidas schools Michigan, UCLA and Kansas are also wearing them, so get used to it.