PDA

View Full Version : Women's Soccer - Stanford 1, Duke 0

chrishoke
11-20-2011, 03:05 PM
The Duke women's soccer team beat Ohio State today 2-1 to advance to the NCAA Tourny. Congrats and lets go DUKE!

burnspbesq
11-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Wake and UVa have also advanced.

UNC is in overtime with Central Florida.

Maryland trails OKSt, 1-0, at the half.

FSU is just underway against Louisville.

BC and Stanford kick off at 4:00 Eastern.

USD and Long Beach kick off at 5:00 Eastern. The winner of that match faces Duke in the quarterfinals.

chrishoke
11-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Heels go down 5-4 in penalty kicks. What a shame. GTHCGTH.

burnspbesq
11-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Knights keeper Aline Reis stuffed Carolina's Ranee Premji in the sixth round of the shootout to secure the win.

burnspbesq
11-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Kassey Kallman has given FSU the lead over Louisville with a 24th-minute header.

Murlund still trails OKSt, one-nil.

burnspbesq
11-20-2011, 03:53 PM
OKSt made a fourth-minute Annika Neimeier goal stand up.

chrishoke
11-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Duke had to come back after trailing 1-0 at the half.

burnspbesq
11-20-2011, 05:20 PM
BC and Stanford are scoreless in the second half.

Long Beach and San Diego are scoreless 20 minutes in.

burnspbesq
11-20-2011, 05:24 PM
UVa - FSU in Tallahassee

Wake - UCF in W-S

Duke - USD or CSULB at Koskinen.

OKSt - BC or Stanford, in Palo Alto if Stanford, in Stillwater if BC.

burnspbesq
11-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Cardinal got two in a six-minute stretch midway through the second half to defeat BC.

The 49ers' Ashley Roese had the game's only goal as they beat USD, and advance to play Duke at Koskinen at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

Time for the Duke men to go kick some wolf butt.

Mike Corey
11-20-2011, 07:40 PM

I'm sure you only mean for the Duke men in the stands to verbally outduel the LBS men in the volley of cheers for the wonderful women's teams on the field. ;)

This was a big win for the Blue Devils, who were trailing at the half for only the fourth time all season long.

Let's go Duke!!

Jim3k
11-20-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm sure you only mean for the Duke men in the stands to verbally outduel the LBS men in the volley of cheers for the wonderful women's teams on the field. ;)

This was a big win for the Blue Devils, who were trailing at the half for only the fourth time all season long.

Let's go Duke!!

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the UNM Lobos. Timing is right as the kickoff is moments away. Burns has kindly posted a video link elsewhere.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Heels go down 5-4 in penalty kicks. What a shame. GTHCGTH.
What a great way to start Status Check week! :cool:

DukieInKansas
11-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Congratulations! Good luck in the next round!

Let's go, Duke!

Son of Jarhead
11-20-2011, 10:11 PM
The ladies won a very tough game, lots of fouls, trainers were busy (no apparent injuries, thankfully). The Ohio St goal in the first was very much against the run of play. Duke ended up with 20 shots, 11 on goal, to only 2 shots, 1 on goal, for Ohio St. Alaskan freshman Kelly Cobb got the equalizer (she simply would not be denied!) and sophmore Kaitlyn Kerr got the winner (she has quite a knack for sending headers back across goal into the far corner). There were nearly 1,000 people in attendence, including one BuschDevil. :D ... These girls are a lot of fun to watch. I hope to see even more there on Friday. So... who's going?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205336558&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Verga3
11-20-2011, 10:12 PM
What a great way to start Status Check week! :cool:

Agreed, Ozzie! Only thing is now our talented team doesn't get a potential piece of them in the Final Four semis. THAT would have been sweet. First things first. Have an Elite 8 v. Long Beach State (Cinderella) at home on Friday night.

Hope we can cobble together a good crowd for that game to push this special team into our program's first Final Four! If anyone has not seen them play, you are missing maybe the best team ever at Duke. They are seriously good and a very together team. Hope for a "feel good" ending this year for DWS!!

Son of Jarhead
11-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Cardinal got two in a six-minute stretch midway through the second half to defeat BC.

The 49ers' Ashley Roese had the game's only goal as they beat USD, and advance to play Duke at Koskinen at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

FYI: GoDuke.com has Friday night's game starting at 7:00 p.m.

Mike Corey
11-20-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the UNM Lobos. Timing is right as the kickoff is moments away. Burns has kindly posted a video link elsewhere.

Well. Aren't I an arse. :)

Verga3
11-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Agreed, Ozzie! Only thing is now our talented team doesn't get a potential piece of them in the Final Four semis. THAT would have been sweet. First things first. Have an Elite 8 v. Long Beach State (Cinderella) at home on Friday night.

Hope we can cobble together a good crowd for that game to push this special team into our program's first Final Four! If anyone has not seen them play, you are missing maybe the best team ever at Duke. They are seriously good and a very together team. Hope for a "feel good" ending this year for DWS!!

Just so there is no misunderstanding...the 1992 team under Bill Hempen was the DWS first and only Final Four. Lost in the Final. Great year. Robbie Church's program has taken DWS to another level. This team is young and deep. Church has built a great program and done it with class, great kids that all graduate, and a sense of family.

burnspbesq
11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Just so there is no misunderstanding...the 1992 team under Bill Hempen was the DWS first and only Final Four. Lost in the Final.

I thought it was generally understood among Duke supporters that We Do Not Ever Speak of the 1992 Final.

Verga3
11-21-2011, 07:05 PM
I thought it was generally understood among Duke supporters that We Do Not Ever Speak of the 1992 Final.

Mea culpa.

chrishoke
11-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Beat Long Beach State 2-0. Final Four here we come.

burnspbesq
11-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Duke dominated Long Beach and came away with a comfortable 2-0 win to end the best season in 49ers program history.

The central defensive duo of Natasha Anasi and Libby Jandl put on a clinic for 90 minutes. The Beach managed only three shots, and none that troubled keeper Tara Campbell. Kaitlyn Kerr was brilliant in midfield.

It took the Devils 63 minutes to get on the board, with Kelly Cobb rattling the crossbar in the 23rd minute. Mollie Pathman's inch-perfect cross found Kim DeCesare unmarked, and she made no mistake with her header. Eight minutes later, Gilda Doria collected a loose ball at the top of the area after the 49ers failed to clear a Duke corner. She spun to her left and fired a rocket into the roof of the net.

Duke advances to play Wake in the national semifinals next Friday in Kennesaw, GA. The other semi will pit Florida State and the only guest team in the ACC Invitational, the winner of tonight's match between Stanford and Oklahoma State.

Congrats to the team and staff, but there is unfinished business.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Beat Long Beach State 2-0. Final Four here we come.
WooHoo! Congrats ladies! FF bound! :cool:

ChillinDuke
11-25-2011, 11:19 PM
This is pretty awesome! Good on ya, ladies!

Go Duke!!!

Son of Jarhead
11-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Duke dominated Long Beach and came away with a comfortable 2-0 win to end the best season in 49ers program history.

The central defensive duo of Natasha Anasi and Libby Jandl put on a clinic for 90 minutes. The Beach managed only three shots, and none that troubled keeper Tara Campbell. Kaitlyn Kerr was brilliant in midfield.

It took the Devils 63 minutes to get on the board, with Kelly Cobb rattling the crossbar in the 23rd minute. Mollie Pathman's inch-perfect cross found Kim DeCesare unmarked, and she made no mistake with her header. Eight minutes later, Gilda Doria collected a loose ball at the top of the area after the 49ers failed to clear a Duke corner. She spun to her left and fired a rocket into the roof of the net.

Duke advances to play Wake in the national semifinals next Friday in Kennesaw, GA. The other semi will pit Florida State and the only guest team in the ACC Invitational, the winner of tonight's match between Stanford and Oklahoma State.

Congrats to the team and staff, but there is unfinished business.

Great recap, burnspbesq!

I'll add that Erin Koballa & Maddy Haller (and sub Alex Straton) all played very well at outside back. The entire defense was stellar. LBS played a tough game, but Duke's skill wore them down. Great crowd again tonight, which included MP2 again (he, Murphy, & Todd Z have been to several this year), & Crazy Towel Guy, too. I would have loved to see a replay of the Cobb shot off the crossbar in the first... it hit off the bottom of the bar, from where I was sitting it looked like it went straight down & came very close to landing on the goal side of the line. Also, that was Gilda's first career goal. Another fantastic performance by our ladies. Now on to the rubber match against WF. Wish I could make it to "the ACC Invitational". GO DUKE!!!! Bring home a title from Georgia!

GoDuke.com story on the win: http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205338734

Son of Jarhead
11-26-2011, 12:07 AM
By the way, undefeated Stanford just beat Oklahoma State 2-1 in OT to advance to the ACC Invitational.

burnspbesq
11-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Stanford 2, Oklahoma State 1, OT.

Son of Jarhead
11-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Oops, I guess the link I gave above had highlights of tonights game, including Cobb's shot off the cross bar. It looked very close, but by her reaction, I'd guess not that close, like it looked from the stands. The highlights also show Robbie getting the gatorade bucket dumped on him.... brrrr! I love Kerr's Thomas Hill like reaction to one of the goals. Again, way to go, girls! Go Duke!!!!

Jim3k
11-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Following the victory the team huddled and celebrated the trip to the College Cup. Church, in sub-50 degree weather, was doused with a full water cooler. He didn’t mind.

“It’s a good cold,” he said.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/25/1671169/duke-women-advance-to-college.html#ixzz1emaCfJKp

-bdbd
11-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Geat news ladies!! Congratulations!!!!

Does anyone know if the Final Four will be televised (on ESPN, etc.) next Fri.?
Thx.

:confused:

burnspbesq
11-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Does anyone know if the Final Four will be televised (on ESPN, etc.)

ESPN3.com at 5:00 Eastern on Friday.

burnspbesq
11-26-2011, 06:51 AM
The view from the 49ers' side.

http://www.presstelegram.com/moresports/ci_19415421

Verga3
11-26-2011, 11:13 AM
I hope DWS fans and students will want to be in Atlanta to support this special team's quest for a national championship. Looks like plenty of seats. http://www.ksuowls.com/sports/2009/12/11/WSOC_1211094142.aspx?

Congrats to Robbie Church, staff and players! We owe Wake one from the ACC tourney...and were ahead of Stanford early in a game last year before losing on a bizarre deflected slow-roller. Payback time, not that they will need extra motivation...

burnspbesq
11-26-2011, 12:07 PM
FSU-Stanford at 5:00 Eastern, followed by Duke-Wake at approximately 7:30.

Son of Jarhead
12-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Mollie Pathman earns NCAA Elite 89 Award for carrying the highest GPA (3.912!) of any player at this year's Women's College Cup. Way to go Mollie!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205341113&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Also, Tara Campbell has been nominated for Goalkeeper of the Year. Congrats Tara!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22662&SPID=1842&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205340506&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The semis tomorrow evening are on ESPN3, but the Duke vs. Wake game will be broadcast on tape delay on ESPNU at 11am on Sunday, just prior to the title game at 1pm on ESPNU.

GO DUKE!!!!

wk2109
12-02-2011, 12:06 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/02/sports/kelly-cobb-leads-duke-to-womens-national-semifinals.html?_r=1

chrishoke
12-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Let's go Devils! Beat Wake. You can watch on espn3.

chrishoke
12-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Stanford 1-0 over FSU in the 1st.

loran16
12-02-2011, 08:47 PM
WE SCORE! 1-0 with 2 minutes left int he first half.

chrishoke
12-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Duke wesathers the early storm and scores right before half. WF midfield is killing us.

SCMatt33
12-02-2011, 08:57 PM
The first 30 minutes of this match really belonged to Wake. Duke was forced to give up a lot of corners (7) and fouls (9). Give the back line a lot of credit as Wake only got a couple of top quality chances off of them, and there were some great individual defensive plays. Duke had problems keeping the ball with some poor passing and Wake won all of the one-on-one battles. I don't know what exactly it was, but the momentum shift was pretty quick. Wake had gone to a 4-4-2 (which apparently hurt Duke in the ACC's, I didn't see it), and whatever Duke's contingency for it worked well. I don't know if it was a stylistic thing, an endurance thing, or just a settling down thing, but Duke just flipped the switch. The passes were crisper, they started winning one-on-one battles, and got the goal off of the corner. The goal wasn't anything really special. Wake just missed the header attempt and it bounced right to a Duke player who got it through the goalie. No fancy shot, no amazing header, just good, solid play. They'll need to continue that in the second half.

SCMatt33
12-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Molly Pathman - 2-0 Duke!

loran16
12-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Nice Play! Now hold on girls, just 35 more minutes!

loran16
12-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Wake scores on a BS foul. Duke player gets all ball and then gets elbowed by the Wake player on momentum. Bah.

SCMatt33
12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Wake scores on a BS foul. Duke player gets all ball and then gets elbowed by the Wake player on momentum. Bah.

Duke gets a penalty to get the 2 goal lead right back

loran16
12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
(2nd of the game for her.) Nice comeback after the bogus foul gave Wake a shot.

Acymetric
12-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Wow, big (and obvious) penalty for Duke, well taken.

First penalty of the season though? That's gotta be unusual right?

SCMatt33
12-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Duke's really starting to back off into their D. Subbed out offense for defense awhile back. Have to hold them off for 22 more minutes.

ForkFondler
12-02-2011, 09:45 PM

The foul was a little questionable, but I'd blame the positioning on the free kick. The corner was wide open.

SCMatt33
12-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Bam! 4-1

loran16
12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Juts an amazing 2nd half.

MChambers
12-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Juts an amazing 2nd half.

The Wake goal came on a free kick that was very questionable, to be charitable. Duke's third goal came on a penalty kick that might have been undeserved.

SCMatt33
12-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Interesting story line for Stanford going into the final. They're undefeated on the year, but have never won a title, losing in the semis 3 years ago and the finals the last two years. That's a lot of pressure on them. Duke's known as a second half team, but if they can put pressure on Stanford early, it will really test the Cardinal's fortitude. Stanford has also not lost a game in 6 years in which they have scored a goal, so keeping a clean sheet will be important (though it should be noted that you can win the title without winning the game, as a game decided in PK's is officially a tie).

SlimSlowSlider
12-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Just caught the last 25 minutes. Granted, we were up 3-1 by then, but dominated possession.

Any scouting reports on Stanford? I heard on the telecast that they were undefeated, play the same system as Duke and have really exceptional outside players. Hope Duke's D can contain.

Mike Corey
12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Any scouting reports on Stanford? I heard on the telecast that they were undefeated, play the same system as Duke and have really exceptional outside players. Hope Duke's D can contain.

This will be our toughest game of the season. Stanford is good. From ESPN:

The current seniors lost just one regular-season game in their careers, and that came four seasons ago. This year's team ranked fourth in the nation in scoring offense and second in goals-against average, both marks tops among teams in the College Cup.

Stanford players to watch
Camille Levin: The psychology major is a master of multiple personalities on the field, excelling anywhere coach Paul Ratcliffe asks her to play. And he asks her to play just about everywhere. As an outside back, she's a fearless tackler and half of the most dangerous pair of fullbacks in the nation, along with Rachel Quon. In the midfield, where she often shifts during the course of a game, she's a creative playmaker with a forward's finishing touch.

Lindsay Taylor: At some point this weekend, you're going to hear about Taylor's talents as a finisher, so we might as well get the meme going. Ratcliffe talks about it, teammates talk about it, and opponents lament it. She has terrific range from outside the box and a nose for the back of the net inside it. She leads the team with 20 goals this season, and No. 20, the overtime winner against Oklahoma State, moved her past Julie Foudy for fourth all time at Stanford.

Stanford has relied on Lindsay Taylor's goals this season and it will likely be no different at the College Cup.
Teresa Noyola: No other player in the College Cup has more assists than the engine of Stanford's midfield, an avid Barcelona fan who very much fills an Andres Iniesta-like role for the Cardinal. With four College Cups and a trip to the 2011 Women's World Cup with Mexico under her belt, she's as experienced as a player can be at this level.

Stanford has lost 1-0 matches in the past three NCAA tournies. Here's hoping that that history repeats itself.

SlimSlowSlider
12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
"The current seniors lost just one regular-season game in their careers, and that came four seasons ago." That is stunning.

Let's hope that the experience of competing in such an amazingly competitive conference will have readied the Duke women to take on (and vanquish) such a formidable opponent. I have only seen 25 minutes of the women (tonight), but their composure was impressive. I look forward to watching the game on Sunday.

burnspbesq
12-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Stanford is a quality team, but they were incredibly fortunate tonight. The first goal was totally against the run of play, and came after an egregious non-call by the referee. After that, FSU went into a daze and were never the same.

SlimSlowSlider
12-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Stanford is a quality team, but they were incredibly fortunate tonight. The first goal was totally against the run of play, and came after an egregious non-call by the referee. After that, FSU went into a daze and were never the same.

So you're telling me there's a chance? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqdNe8u-Jsg

I don't follow women's soccer, but was impressed enough by what I saw to think Sunday's game is going to be a battle.

ForkFondler
12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
The Wake goal came on a free kick that was very questionable, to be charitable. Duke's third goal came on a penalty kick that might have been undeserved.

The call was less questionable than the positioning of the wall. The corner was wide open. Let's not do that against Stanford.

Jim3k
12-03-2011, 03:42 AM
WE SCORE! 1-0 with 2 minutes left int he first half.

The AP story, printed at ESPN (http://espn.go.com/ncaa/conversations/_/id/7308424/stanford-cardinal-duke-blue-devils-advance-ncaa-women-soccer-final), says this goal was scored by Molly Lester. In fact it was struck by Kim Decasere.

The NCAA Box Score (http://www.ncaa.com/game/soccer-women/d1/2011/12/02/wake-forest-duke#play-by-play) and the GoDuke box score (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=1842&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205341669) both have it right. So did the ESPN 3 announcers at the time.

bird
12-03-2011, 07:18 AM
The call was less questionable than the positioning of the wall. The corner was wide open. Let's not do that against Stanford.

My thought was that the wall was positioned to take away the slightly "nearer" post, but the keeper did not shade to the "far" post, leaving it wide open. Taking away the near post with the wall, and covering the far post with the keeper, is standard positioning. So I might blame that keeper's position more than the wall.

Indoor66
12-03-2011, 08:32 AM
Anyone have the time of the game and the TV situation?

burnspbesq
12-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Anyone have the time of the game and the TV situation?

1:00 Eastern on Sunday, on ESPNU.

MChambers
12-03-2011, 09:15 AM
My thought was that the wall was positioned to take away the slightly "nearer" post, but the keeper did not shade to the "far" post, leaving it wide open. Taking away the near post with the wall, and covering the far post with the keeper, is standard positioning. So I might blame that keeper's position more than the wall.
It really seemed that the keeper should have shaded to the open post. Any way, doesn't matter. Great game!

Lid
12-03-2011, 10:08 AM
1:00 Eastern on Sunday, on ESPNU.
Also, the Duke-Wake semifinal will be re-broadcast before, at 11 am.

chrishoke
12-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Either way it's on the keeper - it's her job to possition the wall appropriately.

Stanford is an amazing team with great finishers and experieced leadership on offense and defense. Very impressive. Our task Sunday will be monumental.

bloodevil
12-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Has anyone heard of an organized viewing event for Sunday?

burnspbesq
12-03-2011, 06:32 PM
One thing Duke has done well throughout the tournament is to make the opponent's biggest offensive threat disappear. If they can make Taylor disappear, Stanford will likely struggle to find a rhythm, and it will be anyone's match.

burnspbesq
12-03-2011, 06:35 PM
I wonder if there has ever been a national championship in any sport where one of the key matchups that could determine the outcome involved players who were teammates in high school (Duke's Lipp and Stanford's Quon)?

roywhite
12-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I wonder if there has ever been a national championship in any sport where one of the key matchups that could determine the outcome involved players who were teammates in high school (Duke's Lipp and Stanford's Quon)?

Pretty good question.

I was about to go with UNC vs Georgetown in 1982 NCAA Final with James Worthy vs Sleepy Floyd.
Both were from Gastonia, NC, but went to different high schools.

awhom111
12-04-2011, 01:03 AM
I would guess that this would have happened in a number of championships in some of the sports with more concentration of talent like lacrosse or field hockey.

By my count there are a couple of other teammate pairings in this game with a pair of players from St. Ignatius Prep in San Francisco and two more from Palo Alto High School.

While Taylor is important for them I am worried about their experience in midfield with Noyola and Nogueira. Our midfield and central defenders probably will not be able to surge forward as much as they like and really need to be careful with playing the ball out of the back. I think that the threat we offer down the wings will prevent their fullbacks from charging up as much as they like. I like our chances on set pieces again.

Duvall
12-04-2011, 01:16 AM

Yes. (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/1999/03/22/nca_256941.shtml)

DUKIE V(A)
12-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Yes. (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/1999/03/22/nca_256941.shtml)

Warning: Don't click the above link!

Great call...but a painful memory...

I try to avoid thinking about that game as much as possible. As my then 4 year old said immediately after our season ending loss to WVU a few years ago..."Should we pretend this never happened or lie and say Duke won?"

killerleft
12-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Game time! Go Duke!

chrishoke
12-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Holding our own - creating chances - need to get out of the half still even.

chrishoke
12-04-2011, 01:57 PM
We look their equal thus far. nil - nil at half.

-bdbd
12-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Both sides playing conservatively. But a fairly even match that could go either way. The announcers keep mentioning Duke's second half strength - let's hope they are right. A good defensive game, any score would be huge.

Go Devils! ;)

burnspbesq
12-04-2011, 02:10 PM
If this one gets away from Stanford, they will be justifiably incensed that the referee missed an obvious penalty.

Biggest problem for Duke in the first half was that Levin kept getting forward, keeping Pathman pinned back. We did a good job of keeping our shape defensively. We need to keep that up.

Son of Jarhead
12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Let's Go Duke!!!!

0-0 to start the second... come on Devils, get that cup!

chrishoke
12-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Stanford seniors break through - they haven't lost in 6 years when they score.

chrishoke
12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Some great chances but no goal - 10 to go.

Son of Jarhead
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Rats!

Great season, Devils! Keep those heads held high. We are all proud of you. Next year, that cup is ours!

Gthoma2a
12-04-2011, 03:06 PM
That was rough... The pass to Weinberg would have been our best chance to score, but the other girl continued to try to make the play on her own. We played well, though.

chrishoke
12-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Game effort - game over. Congrats Stanford.

burnspbesq
12-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I have to say I think the better team won. Stanford was rock solid at the back. Levin won the battle with Pathman, and Cobb was a non-factor.

That said, we had a heck of a year, and we get all eleven starters back. Next year should be good.

77devil
12-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I have to say I think the better team won. Stanford was rock solid at the back. Levin won the battle with Pathman, and Cobb was a non-factor.

That said, we had a heck of a year, and we get all eleven starters back. Next year should be good.

Sometimes you need to first experience the championship atmosphere before bringing it home. I was in attendance at Ft. Lauderdale in 1982 when the Duke men lost to Indiana in the 8 overtime, yes that's 8, championship men's soccer game, perhaps the longest game ever. The men eventually won their championship in 1986, perhaps ironically, the same year that the men's basketball team lost at it's first shot under Coach K, at which I was also present.

I'm not taking the responsibility for today's outcome because I was not in attendance, but am confident the women will have their day. Congratulations on a great season and to a group of student athletes of which we can all be proud.

-bdbd
12-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Great effort and season ladies! I have zero doubt that we will be back....soon.

:D

MCFinARL
12-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Agreed Levin was excellent. And Stanford was probably better overall--but not by a lot. Although it is disappointing to lose a championship game, I thought the women acquitted themselves pretty well overall--and as you note, the future is very promising.

Rich
12-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Sometimes you need to first experience the championship atmosphere before bringing it home. I was in attendance at Ft. Lauderdale in 1982 when the Duke men lost to Indiana in the 8 overtime, yes that's 8, championship men's soccer game, perhaps the longest game ever. The men eventually won their championship in 1986, perhaps ironically, the same year that the men's basketball team lost at it's first shot under Coach K, at which I was also present.

I'm not taking the responsibility for today's outcome because I was not in attendance, but am confident the women will have their day. Congratulations on a great season and to a group of student athletes of which we can all be proud.

Men's Lax also lost quite a few times in the Finals/Final 4 before bringing home the championship. Getting over that hump is never easy. If I weren't a Duke fan I would have rooted for Stanford today. After losing so many years in a row in the Finals/Final 4, I felt they deserved it.

Son of Jarhead
12-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Getting a taste of the finals, but coming up short, works as great motivation in the off-season. We lose key reserves Molly Lester & Chelsea Canapa to graduation, but everybody else returns. I fully expect these girls to come back next year even better and more hungry to win it all. Anybody know who we have coming in as freshmen next year?

Mike Corey
12-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Our top four scorers are returning from this squad, and it's a very young team regardless. The future is very bright for DWS.

bird
12-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Agreed Levin was excellent. And Stanford was probably better overall--but not by a lot. Although it is disappointing to lose a championship game, I thought the women acquitted themselves pretty well overall--and as you note, the future is very promising.

It is not usual to see an single individual be the identifiable difference maker in a soccer game due to all the complex cause and effect, but I really felt Levin was the diffence in the game, both sides of the ball.

On the other hand, the Duke women are at the highest level right now, despite the youth. And it was terribly satisfying seeing Duke playing a tactically intelligent game that adapted to changing game conditions. The announcers kept harping on how Duke is a second half team . . . and does well coming out of time out . . . sound familiar guys? I think we have a good game coach on our hands.

burnspbesq
12-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Not sure which was more painful: the loss, or having to listen to Beth Mowins and Julie Foudy for four hours over a three-day period. :cool:

ForkFondler
12-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Anybody know who we have coming in as freshmen next year?

I know nothing, but I still have google:

The main DWS recruits for next year are:

DUKE
Kelly McCann D Palos Verdes Estates, Calif. Palos Verdes So Cal Blues
Cassandra Pecht MF Mechanicsburg, Pa. Cumberland Valley FC Pennsylvania Strikers
Kara Wilson MF Potomac, Md. Sidwell Friends McLean Strikers

All three are top 40. Pecht is top 10.

But, in the keeping up with the Joneses department, UNC and Stanford also have excellent (probably better) 2012 classes. In particular, UNC has a top notch GK coming in.