PDA

View Full Version : Presbyterian wins at #20 Cincinnati, 56-54

Greg_Newton
11-19-2011, 06:09 PM
WOW: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=313232132

loran16
11-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Apparently the Blue Hose went on a 24-7 run at the end, finishing with a bad looking 3 with 8 seconds left to come back from being down 15. Amazing.

Meanwhile, in BBALL, USC lost to Cal Poly at home 42-36. Yes that score is correct.

uh_no
11-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Apparently the Blue Hose went on a 24-7 run at the end, finishing with a bad looking 3 with 8 seconds left to come back from being down 15. Amazing.

Meanwhile, in BBALL, USC lost to Cal Poly at home 42-36. Yes that score is correct.

JUST ANNOUNCED: Big 10 invites USC and Cal Poly for basketball only!

devildeac
11-19-2011, 07:01 PM
JUST ANNOUNCED: Big 10 invites USC and Cal Poly for basketball only!

I would think the Big East would be a better fit:rolleyes:.

uh_no
11-19-2011, 07:05 PM
I would think the Big East would be a better fit:rolleyes:.

hahah

their geographic location would certainly be a better fit for the big east, but the style of play (scoring <50 points) just screams big 10

Olympic Fan
11-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Wow ... this is huge. I knew Belmont and Davidson were very good mid-majors, but on paper, Presbyterian is the weakest team Duke plays this season (unless the Devils somehow get Chaminade in Maui).

For the Hose to gun down Cincy is a huge deal and will really help our RPI in the long run.

BTW, on another thread we were debating ovrrated teams and the name of Cincinnati came up.

uh_no
11-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Wow ... this is huge. I knew Belmont and Davidson were very good mid-majors, but on paper, Presbyterian is the weakest team Duke plays this season (unless the Devils somehow get Chaminade in Maui).

For the Hose to gun down Cincy is a huge deal and will really help our RPI in the long run.

BTW, on another thread we were debating ovrrated teams and the name of Cincinnati came up.

I thought they were the weakest of the BE teams to squeak in last year, and am equally unimpressed this year. I think they kind of shut it down today.....

JasonEvans
11-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Actually, it only helps our RPI if Pesby turns out to be a better team than anticipated and wins more games than expected.

To be clear, lets say Presby was supposed to lose to Cincy (a top 50 RPI team) but beat Western Carolina (RPI in the low-200s). Instead, they beat Cincy but lost to WCar.

Their RPI would be exactly the same after those two results. That is how the RPI works. It does not care who you beat... it only cares about your total wins and losses and who you played. Does that make sense?

-Jason "I suspect Oly already understood this" Evans

Kedsy
11-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Actually, it only helps our RPI if Pesby turns out to be a better team than anticipated and wins more games than expected.

To be clear, lets say Presby was supposed to lose to Cincy (a top 50 RPI team) but beat Western Carolina (RPI in the low-200s). Instead, they beat Cincy but lost to WCar.

Their RPI would be exactly the same after those two results. That is how the RPI works. It does not care who you beat... it only cares about your total wins and losses and who you played. Does that make sense?

-Jason "I suspect Oly already understood this" Evans

I interpreted what OlympicFan said as meaning Presbyterian is a better team than we expected. Big South teams who are capable of beating Big East teams (especially nationally ranked Big East teams) generally tend to see success in conference play. Last year Presbyterian was a sub-200 team with a 13-18 record, pretty much the definition of an RPI drain. So far they're hovering around 100 (RPI, they're still sub-200 in Pomeroy) and have an above-.500 record. If they finish 18-13 instead of 13-18, it will certainly help our RPI schedule strength. We may only end up one or two teams on our non-conference schedule with below .500 records, and that (combined with the likes of Ohio State and Memphis) could possibly give us the #1 RPI schedule strength in the country. Which would be good, come seeding time.

JasonEvans
11-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I interpreted what OlympicFan said as meaning Presbyterian is a better team than we expected. Big South teams who are capable of beating Big East teams (especially nationally ranked Big East teams) generally tend to see success in conference play. Last year Presbyterian was a sub-200 team with a 13-18 record, pretty much the definition of an RPI drain. So far they're hovering around 100 (RPI, they're still sub-200 in Pomeroy) and have an above-.500 record. If they finish 18-13 instead of 13-18, it will certainly help our RPI schedule strength. We may only end up one or two teams on our non-conference schedule with below .500 records, and that (combined with the likes of Ohio State and Memphis) could possibly give us the #1 RPI schedule strength in the country. Which would be good, come seeding time.

Yup, I agree that it would be a very good thing if Presby turned out to be a better than expected team. I was merely pointing out that they had lost a game to Western Carolina, which would seem to fly in the face of the "they are a good team" argument.

-Jason "by the way, one of the worst teams on our schedule right now appears to be BC... Pomeroy has them #209... blech!" Evans

diesel
11-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Yup, I agree that it would be a very good thing if Presby turned out to be a better than expected team. I was merely pointing out that they had lost a game to Western Carolina, which would seem to fly in the face of the "they are a good team" argument.

-Jason "by the way, one of the worst teams on our schedule right now appears to be BC... Pomeroy has them #209... blech!" Evans

I have a close friend who is a Holy Cross alum. The Crusaders just beat the hell out of BC. I suggested to my friend that maybe Holy Cross should consider joining the ACC!

Wander
11-20-2011, 04:13 PM
I have a close friend who is a Holy Cross alum. The Crusaders just beat the hell out of BC. I suggested to my friend that maybe Holy Cross should consider joining the ACC!

If we offer membership to every team that beats BC this year, the conference is going to get crowded quick...