PDA

View Full Version : The Kounting Sign Upstairs in the Southwest Korner of Cameron

B-well
11-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I know Caoch K never would intend to place limitations on anything, so why is there room for only 3 digits on the KOUNTING sign?

Grey Devil
11-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Good question! I wondered the same thing and am surprised that Ozzie didn't reply asking why there wasn't room for five digits!!

Grey Devil

Indoor66
11-19-2011, 02:53 PM
I expressed this in a different thread, but I feel that the count-up sign has served its purpose and needs to be retired and removed. I realize that each win sets a new record but I don't think keeping the count-up serves any worthwhile purpose. If we need to be reminded, make an announcement on the scoreboard after each game in Cameron to announce the total. The sign is, now, IMO, a little gauche. I look forward to celebrating a total when K retires in about 2021.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2011, 03:36 PM
I expressed this in a different thread, but I feel that the count-up sign has served its purpose and needs to be retired and removed. I realize that each win sets a new record but I don't think keeping the count-up serves any worthwhile purpose. If we need to be reminded, make an announcement on the scoreboard after each game in Cameron to announce the total. The sign is, now, IMO, a little gauche. I look forward to celebrating a total when K retires in about 2021.

Agreed 100%.

uh_no
11-19-2011, 03:44 PM

I doubt it's coming down. They just put it up at the beginning of the season....it wasn't there last year. It's likely that changes like that would be run by coach K first. So if he didn't want it, it probably wouldn't be there. I personally don't like it, but I don't think it's coming down.

ArkieDukie
11-19-2011, 06:47 PM

I'm with you on this one. Moreover, the sign seems like something Coach K wouldn't particularly like since it puts the emphasis on him rather than on the current team. JMO

OZZIE4DUKE
11-19-2011, 06:55 PM
I know Caoch K never would intend to place limitations on anything, so why is there room for only 3 digits on the KOUNTING sign?

Good question! I wondered the same thing and am surprised that Ozzie didn't reply asking why there wasn't room for five digits!!

Grey Devil
Because I was where everyone one here should have been today - Wallace Wade Stadium supporting our football team, and tailgating before it! But honestly, I think four digits will suffice! :cool:

jimsumner
11-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Along the same lines,I hope the crazies aren't going to chant the number of wins after every win.

Eventually it will get old.

"1208! 1208! 1208!"

Just gets old. :)

uh_no
11-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Along the same lines,I hope the crazies aren't going to chant the number of wins after every win.

Eventually it will get old.

"1208! 1208! 1208!"

Just gets old. :)

Well....if "drive home safely" hasn't gotten old....I don't know what will!

at least the number would change for each win....plus when maryland comes to town, we can remind them that there are numbers bigger than one can count using their fingers

davekay1971
11-19-2011, 09:26 PM

at least the number would change for each win....plus when maryland comes to town, we can remind them that there are numbers bigger than one can count using their fingers

The Maryland guys just count like Conan: "One...two...three...[pause]...alot."

zack2014
11-19-2011, 10:51 PM
The Maryland guys just count like Conan: "One...two...three...[pause]...alot."
Hey. Leave me alone...For your information I had to count all the way to 42 the other day :cool:

uh_no
11-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Hey. Leave me alone...For your information I had to count all the way to 42 the other day :cool:

I should clarify....maryland PLAYERS....i know lots of smart people who are MD students/alumni

basket1544
11-19-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't mind the sign staying, but I don't want a spotlight on it. I don't think it should be highlighted anymore.

devildeac
11-19-2011, 11:34 PM

Fear the classroom.

(one of the better signs in CIS the last several years)

zack2014
11-19-2011, 11:50 PM
I should clarify....maryland PLAYERS....i know lots of smart people who are MD students/alumni

haha. No need to clarify. I make fun of stupid MD students and players too.

77devil
11-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Agreed 100%.

Me too.

I will be surprised and disappointed if the sign remains. What's the point? Practically everyone on the planet with a TV or a computer knows Coach K has broken the record. He has said numerous times since the achievement that it is time to move on and focus solely on team development and the remainder of the season. Leaving the sign up seems contrary to this sentiment and tacky. Doing so will provide plenty of fuel for the haters as well.

mgtr
11-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Indoor is exactly right -- look how we make fun of UNC's fake national championship. Plus, every MBB TV game in Cameron will show the sign. After a while, it will be a running joke. The Kounting sign in Kameron should Kome down!!

SilkyJ
11-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Agreed 100%.

Here here. The accomplishment is now over, let's focus on this team and their journey. We'll have lots of time to reflect on K's journey when he retires many years from now :)

OldPhiKap
11-20-2011, 12:05 PM
I am hoping that it was basically a place-sitter until the banner was put up, and now that the banner is up the count can come down.

Philsfan
11-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Think they could take it down, hang it somewhere in the Basketball Museum area and update it accordingly.

msdukie
11-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Think they could take it down, hang it somewhere in the Basketball Museum area and update it accordingly.

Since it appears the 9 flips, I assume that there is a 10 behind it....

They should replace it with the Gothic "Duke" that disappeared after last year's exhibition games and was replaced by the block "Duke".

I am still not happy that the Gothic "D"s were taken down with spotlights shining on a blank spot on each end zone since the end of last year's exhibition season. If we have to deal with the new Nike-fied Duke logos, brass Iron Duke "D"s could at least go up in those spots (though still a downgrade).

feldspar
12-09-2011, 05:08 PM
So, was the Kounting board up (and updated) for the Colorado State game? (Please say no)

Duvall
12-09-2011, 05:12 PM
So, was the Kounting board up (and updated) for the Colorado State game? (Please say no)

Per Mike Patrick, it was taken down.

So...maybe?

magjayran
12-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I want them to keep the thing up and I want fireworks and cannon blasts along with the count going up for every win....at the exact moment the clock hits zero. If they need someone to operate the board and explosives, I'll gladly do it for free.

OldPhiKap
12-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Per Mike Patrick, it was taken down.

So...maybe?

THAT made me laugh.

I hope it is down -- put it back up when he's approaching 1,000 -- or "1 K"

feldspar
12-09-2011, 06:23 PM
"1 K"

Oh this is good. This is so good. Someone slap a trademark on that.

dukebsbll14
12-09-2011, 06:25 PM

Greatness is measured in K's.

ArkieDukie
12-09-2011, 06:43 PM

I'll second that. Good one, OPK!

-jk
12-09-2011, 07:36 PM
From a communication with the ID office, it was only to stay until the banner went up.

Don't know if they'll break it out for 1K, but I imagine they will...

-jk

94duke
12-09-2011, 07:42 PM

No. It was back to the traditional blue "flag" with "Duke" written on it.