PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky's academic focus

JasonEvans
11-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Kentucky played in New York against Kansas and their next game is against Penn State in the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. Calipari looked at the map and realized that New York and Connecticut are really close to each other so he decided to keep his team up North rather than head home. He got a waiver from the NCAA to allow him to do this.

If this was a Thurs-Sat kinda situation, I could totally see it. But, Kentucky's games are Tue-Sat. I am sure he took the team up to New York Monday evening, at the latest. So, Calipari has his kids missing an entire week of classes -- Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri. Ridiculous and totally counter to what should be the University mission of educating these kids.

How hard would it have been to fly home Tuesday night or even Wednesday morning? Let the kids go to class on Wednesday and Thursday and even part of Friday before flying back. It is not like the Saturday game is against a top-tier team who will require maximum focus. They are playing Penn State, a BCS school but not a very good one. Pomeroy ranks Penn State #108 in the country and gives Kentucky a 94% chance of winning (projected score 72-55).

Would it really hurt Kentucky for Calipari to give his team some actual class time?

-Jason "Every time I think Jim Calhoun is the most disgusting coach in college basketball, Calipari does something to put himself back in the race. Sigh" Evans

Lord Ash
11-18-2011, 12:11 PM
However, that would leave a lot less time for gambling at Mohican Sun, no?

subzero02
11-18-2011, 12:25 PM
However, that would leave a lot less time for gambling at Mohican Sun, no?

Not the Mohican Sun, the last of those was gone years ago, the Mohegan Sun.

BD80
11-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Kentucky played in New York against Kansas and their next game is against Penn State in the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. Calipari looked at the map and realized that New York and Connecticut are really close to each other so he decided to keep his team up North rather than head home. He got a waiver from the NCAA to allow him to do this.

If this was a Thurs-Sat kinda situation, I could totally see it. But, Kentucky's games are Tue-Sat. I am sure he took the team up to New York Monday evening, at the latest. So, Calipari has his kids missing an entire week of classes -- Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri. Ridiculous and totally counter to what should be the University mission of educating these kids.

How hard would it have been to fly home Tuesday night or even Wednesday morning? Let the kids go to class on Wednesday and Thursday and even part of Friday before flying back. It is not like the Saturday game is against a top-tier team who will require maximum focus. They are playing Penn State, a BCS school but not a very good one. Pomeroy ranks Penn State #108 in the country and gives Kentucky a 94% chance of winning (projected score 72-55).

Would it really hurt Kentucky for Calipari to give his team some actual class time?

-Jason "Every time I think Jim Calhoun is the most disgusting coach in college basketball, Calipari does something to put himself back in the race. Sigh" Evans

I envision Cal channeling Allen Iverson: "Classes? We're talkin' about classes!"

I virtually assure you that the travel schedule had the players missing classes on Monday, as well as Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

But what makes you think that the traveling makes any difference as to whether the players attended class?

I have been criticized for picking on Ky players for acts that demonstrate a lack of academic focus - ie an accident outside a bar 2:30 AM Friday morning, where one flees the scene. To me, choosing a program that so DEemphasizes academics opens a kid to such ridicule.

OldPhiKap
11-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Not the Mohican Sun, the last of those was gone years ago, the Mohegan Sun.

Technically, I think it was the Mohican no-son which finally brought them down.

hurleyfor3
11-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Oh, I'm sure they're studying up on the Peloponnesian War.

OldPhiKap
11-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh, I'm sure they're studying up on the Peloponnesian War.

"Calipari and calamari: A comparative studies program." (lab work required)

KenTankerous
11-18-2011, 01:18 PM
But what makes you think that the traveling makes any difference as to whether the players attended class?

I know 16 people who attend UK, in majors ranging from political science to education to physics to sport's medicine. None of them have ever actually seen a bb player in class. Allegedly, they are tutored extensively on the road and at The Wildcat Lodge.

Allegedly.

To me, this is just another brick in the wall separating me from UK basketball and especially Calipaymi.

Thank god for my Duke girl and Coach K and Cameron Indoor and Wojo and Jon Scheyer and DBR and...