PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma State Women's Coaches Killed in Plane Crash

94duke
11-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Awful news. Another airplane tragedy for the Oklahoma State Basketball program.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/18/oklahoma-state-womens-coaches-killed-in-arkansas-plane-crash/

CameronBornAndBred
11-18-2011, 10:35 AM
This is very sad. The Duke women played them last year at their place. 10 years ago the same school lost 10 folks with the men's program in a crash.

MCFinARL
11-18-2011, 01:56 PM
A terrible event, very sad for the program as well as, of course, the families and friends of those who died.

I'm old enough to be suspicious of claims that we should set hard and fast rules on how old is "too old" to do certain things. But I don't think I would get into a small plane piloted by an 82-year-old. (On the other hand, I would try pretty hard to avoid getting into a small plane piloted by anyone.)

stixof96
11-18-2011, 02:15 PM
A terrible event, very sad for the program as well as, of course, the families and friends of those who died.

I'm old enough to be suspicious of claims that we should set hard and fast rules on how old is "too old" to do certain things. But I don't think I would get into a small plane piloted by an 82-year-old. (On the other hand, I would try pretty hard to avoid getting into a small plane piloted by anyone.)

i'm not riding in a car with a 82 year old driving.....a plane ???.......forget about it......

chrishoke
11-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Incredibly sad. Thoughts and prayers to the families and all those impacted.

basket1544
11-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure about the 82 year old pilot, but the 48 year old plane is where I'd draw the line.

Indoor66
11-19-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure about the 82 year old pilot, but the 48 year old plane is where I'd draw the line.

Both are an issues of maintenance. The military files 48 year old helicopters all the time (see the Jolly Green Giants from Vietnam era). That said, they maintain them very carefully. I imagine we all have met a number of 82 year old's we would fly with and a number of 32 year old's we would not. As with all glittering generalities, they are mostly not accurate or fair. (Not picking on anyone in particular!)

77devil
11-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Both are an issues of maintenance. The military files 48 year old helicopters all the time (see the Jolly Green Giants from Vietnam era). That said, they maintain them very carefully. I imagine we all have met a number of 82 year old's we would fly with and a number of 32 year old's we would not. As with all glittering generalities, they are mostly not accurate or fair. (Not picking on anyone in particular!)

Agree with your point about maintaining equipment, but I've yet to met any 82 year old that I'd feel remotely comfortable with piloting a plane. I'm not generalizing. It's just my experience-so far.

cspan37421
11-19-2011, 02:11 PM
I would also suggest that, unless there's a co-pilot, you're at significantly greater risk with an 82-year-old that a sudden medical event is going to bring down the plane and everyone in it.