PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to meet the team in Maui? What's the etiquette?

Johnny D.
11-17-2011, 07:27 AM
We're going to the Maui Invitational. Everyone who's gone says that you have easy access to the team. We'd love to meet the players and coaches.
Two questions: 1) What's the best way to meet the team (hotel lobby, beach, other)? And 2) What's the etiquette (e.g. don't approach them before the game, leave them alone during dinner)?
Anyone who has experience with this-- please share your thoughts. Go Devils. Beat Tennessee.

superdave
11-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Around celebrities I usually comport myself like this (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/14413/).

My only advice would be dont wear out your welcome by lingering too long....

oldnavy
11-17-2011, 12:47 PM
My wife and I have tickets to the banquet Sunday night. That is probably the easiest way since it is set up for that, but it is not cheap. In 2008 you could go down stairs at the gym to where the players come out of the locker room after the games. Most of the time the players would sign some autographs on the way to their buses.

Another way is to stay in the team hotel (not sure which one Duke is in this year, anyone know??) Then you see them around the hotel and pool. I acutally got on the elevator with the Notre Dame point guard in 2008 (forgot his name), just the two of us on the way to the 1st floor. He was in uniform on the way to play Texas.

Notre Dame and Oregon were at our hotel in 2008. We were in one of the lounges and the Oregon parents were having some drinks and chatting. I struck up a conversation with them and soon some of the players were there as well. Chatted a little, but got to see a pair of the Oregon "Maui" Nike shoes they were given for the tournament. Nice if you like ugly lime green hibiscus flowers!

Was snorkling down by the Sheraton and the entire UNC team was there in the water at the same time. I spoke to Ty Lawson a little (he was nice) on the shore. I got to kid him because he was talking to Roy Williams about his (Ty's) girlfriend jumping off the small cliff there at the bay. Ty wouldn't do it so I started giving him some grief, all in fun.

Bottom line is that the access is easy to the players around the hotel and even at the gym after the games. I think you will find that it comes easy and just be polite and all should go well. Have FUN!!

KenTankerous
11-17-2011, 01:36 PM
I took my lady love, my Duke girl, to a game at Cameron. We stayed at the WaDuke and serendipitously ran into Jon Scheyer and his parents in the hotel lobby. They were friendly and warm, his mom is even more gorgeous in person than she is on TV and Jon is adorably humble!

Then we asked them if we could buy them dinner. The looks on their faces made me feel like we had farted and lit a cigarette. In Public.

Remember, you are considered a booster. There are rules about contact. Forget etiquette. Know your liabilities and responsibilities.

And then go have a great time!

DukeVol
11-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I spoke to Ty Lawson a little (he was nice) on the shore. I got to kid him because he was talking to Roy Williams about his (Ty's) girlfriend jumping off the small cliff there at the bay. Ty wouldn't do it so I started giving him some grief, all in fun.

But would he jump into a swimming pool from the roof of a fraternity house?

oldnavy
11-17-2011, 02:32 PM
I took my lady love, my Duke girl, to a game at Cameron. We stayed at the WaDuke and serendipitously ran into Jon Scheyer and his parents in the hotel lobby. They were friendly and warm, his mom is even more gorgeous in person than she is on TV and Jon is adorably humble!

Then we asked them if we could buy them dinner. The looks on their faces made me feel like we had farted and lit a cigarette. In Public.

Remember, you are considered a booster. There are rules about contact. Forget etiquette. Know your liabilities and responsibilities.

And then go have a great time!

I guess your good intentions put them on the spot? That may explain the reaction...

Outside of the 2008 Maui tournament where I was "forced" to get UNC players to sign stuff for my son (amazing what a parent will do for a child), I have only asked two other people for autographs in my entire life and both of those were for other people. First, I was sitting beside Joe Montana in a cafe in Atlanta. My wife's sister loves him, so I asked for his autograph made out to her. He was kind enought to give it. Second, I was on a plane with John Riggins (lighten up Sandy baby!) and since my wife loves him I asked for his autograph for her. He too was kind enough to give it.

Having said that, I hope to meet Coach K this weekend at the banquet, and I will be asking him to sign two things. First his first book, that I have a copy of, and second my most prized Duke souviner, a 1992 Media Guide with every players signature from the 1991 championship team, plus a personalized note from Tommy Amaker who had it signed for me. Coach K did not sign the book and I have been wanting to have him sign it since... I never had the chance to meet him, and I was too afraid to mail it to the basketball offices to have him sign it.

I hope I do not come off like a teenage little girl when I get the chance to ask him!!

oldnavy
11-17-2011, 02:43 PM
But would he jump into a swimming pool from the roof of a fraternity house?

Glad you mentioned that. Tyler Hansbrough may be a very nice guy, but he has the personality of a zombie. He was by far the LEAST outgoing/engaging of all the UNC players I interacted with in Hawaii. He seemed to be in a trance every time I saw him off the court. Probably just his personality, but I have to say it was a little strange.

westwall
11-17-2011, 02:54 PM
"Another way is to stay in the team hotel (not sure which one Duke is in this year, anyone know??)

Bottom line is that the access is easy to the players around the hotel and even at the gym after the games. I think you will find that it comes easy and just be polite and all should go well.".

I believe the Duke team and staff will be at the Hyatt Regency. At least that's where Anthony Travel has placed us this year. In 2001, as I recall, we were all placed at the Marriott.

Yes, access is easy, especially around the pool, but don't impose on the players. Access to the parents is usually easier.

oldnavy
11-17-2011, 03:31 PM
"Another way is to stay in the team hotel (not sure which one Duke is in this year, anyone know??)

Bottom line is that the access is easy to the players around the hotel and even at the gym after the games. I think you will find that it comes easy and just be polite and all should go well."

I believe the Duke team and staff will be at the Hyatt Regency. At least that's where Anthony Travel has placed us this year. In 2001, as I recall, we were all placed at the Marriott.

Yes, access is easy, especially around the pool, but don't impose on the players. Access to the parents is usually easier.

Thanks, were are at the Sheraton again this year. Probably get stuck with a bunch of Michigan fans!!

I agree about the parents. I got to spend about a hour and at least two beers with Luke Harangody's dad and mom at the poolside bar in '08. It was really neat, and I found out that Luke had wanted to play at Indiana but Mike Davis did not recruit him until the last year and ND had already sealed the deal. I found out that Harangody's dad had played football at IU, and most of their family had gone to IU...

It is cool talking to the parents. I found most of them to be very down to earth and friendly folks.

LSanders
11-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Around celebrities I usually comport myself like this (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/14413/).

Great clip! I'd forgotten about that one.

And, I deeply apologize for venturing off-topic, but a few weeks ago I watched the HBO documentary on George Harrison. In it, Eric Idle was talking about getting to know Harrison and his friendship with the ex-Beatle. Idle said he was doing an appearance for The Rutles, the fictional band several Pythons formed to satirize the Beatles phenomenon. George asked if he could tag along. Idle said people were screaming for their autographs. Meantime, George was standing 5 feet away - and no one recognized him. He was completely ignored. Idle said George just stood there laughing his arse off!!

DukeCaper
11-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Team is staying at the Hyatt. They are kept pretty busy by the coaching staff during the tournament. In the past they have hung around the pool, many are with their families. Most likely a chance meeting in the corridor or something like that is possible. The players in the past that I have met there have been very polite and gracious. See you in Maui.

wilko
11-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I suggest showing up with copious amounts of contraband, a few high caliber working girls and a full charge and extra battery for your NCAA approved evidence gathering portable recording device. But that's just me.

OldPhiKap
11-17-2011, 05:10 PM
1. Tequilla.

2. Megaphone.

3. Enough bail money for a few trips.

At least, that's how I met Mrs. OPK.

Johnny D.
11-17-2011, 05:55 PM
I agree with everyone: parents are usually approachable. I had a nice chat with Jarrett Jack's Mom at the Final Four in San Antonio.

Yes, Duke is staying at the Hyatt Regency. Anthony Travel confirmed that.

Thanks for everyone's advice. We won't seek autographs. Maybe photos. See y'all at the Civic Center and at the hotel. Let's Go Duke!

snowdenscold
11-17-2011, 09:43 PM
The fact that you're even bothering to ask the etiquette ahead of time means you'll probably manage to conduct yourself appropriately around the team ;)

Reilly
11-17-2011, 10:45 PM
1. Tequilla.

2. Megaphone.

3. Enough bail money for a few trips.

At least, that's how I met Mrs. OPK.

So I understand the megaphone hits of tequila [been there, done that ... the shot doesn't end til the bottle's empty, as a megaphone is open at both ends!] ... but how do you maintain consciousness long enough to do something requiring bail .... you da man ....

OldPhiKap
11-17-2011, 11:03 PM
So I understand the megaphone hits of tequila [been there, done that ... the shot doesn't end til the bottle's empty, as a megaphone is open at both ends!] ... but how do you maintain consciousness long enough to do something requiring bail .... you da man ....

Serious training, my son.

As Hunter S. Thompson noted, "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

I have since retired from the pro circuit, but back in the day . . . .

77devil
11-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Serious training, my son.

As Hunter S. Thompson noted, "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

I have since retired from the pro circuit, but back in the day . . . .

Nobody trained harder than Hunter. When he came to Page Auditorium back in the day, he clearly had been in serious training all day.

SilkyJ
11-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Nobody trained harder than Hunter. When he came to Page Auditorium back in the day, he clearly had been in serious training all day.

What kind of training?

Arrrrrrrrmy training, sir!