PDA

View Full Version : Potentially bad news for State

jimsumner
11-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Just got back from the NC State-Princeton game. State won 60-58. Scott Wood rolled a foot early. Gottfried said after the game that it looked like Wood would be out awhile.

davekay1971
11-16-2011, 10:07 PM
State gutted out a tough win with Leslie still suspended for improper benefits and Wood's unfortunate injury. Wood is a key cog for them, as their best option to spread the court and bust a zone. Hopefully he gets better and returns in time for ACC play. State ended up getting the job done with gutsy, tough play from Brown and Williams, a clutch 3 by Johnson, and impressive games from Painter and Howell. Most importantly, they played the kind of defense that Lowe could never get them to play.

State is going to be undermanned this year but they could make themselves a tough team to beat. Gottfried's doing a good job taking care of that "undermanned" thing starting next year, however...

COYS
11-17-2011, 10:45 AM
State gutted out a tough win with Leslie still suspended for improper benefits and Wood's unfortunate injury. Wood is a key cog for them, as their best option to spread the court and bust a zone. Hopefully he gets better and returns in time for ACC play. State ended up getting the job done with gutsy, tough play from Brown and Williams, a clutch 3 by Johnson, and impressive games from Painter and Howell. Most importantly, they played the kind of defense that Lowe could never get them to play.

State is going to be undermanned this year but they could make themselves a tough team to beat. Gottfried's doing a good job taking care of that "undermanned" thing starting next year, however...

State played terribly against Princeton's half court defense, which was really good. Obviously, I was rooting for my Tigers to pick up a win against a vulnerable State team with CJ Leslie out (and then Scott Wood). Princeton shot miserably from the line (7-13) and from point blank range, which ultimately resulted in the loss. I actually think Princeton should be disappointed they didn't get the W, not happy they hung tough against an ACC team. I think State really needs Wood to be back soon to open up the floor in the half court. They only made 1 three the entire game (although it was a big one that essentially sealed the win). They have some athletes who can get out and run. Their biggest bursts happened when Princeton committed a series of turnovers combined with a few long rebounds off misses from three that allowed State to get out and run. They've got good size all around (their guards are big with Brown, Williams, and Wood all being 6-5 or bigger and the frontline is pretty big, too), but I think they'll need some better shooting from outside if they're going to knock off any of the ACC big dogs this season. On the other hand, their size gave Princeton problems and I could see size being a factor against the smaller Duke back court. However, as long as the opposing half court defense is strong, I don't think NC State has the firepower to keep up with most of the upper half teams in the ACC. Getting Scott Woods back and healthy will be key for them going forward.

Slackerb
11-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Keep in mind though that 3 members had the flu and Leslie and DeTheay are out with suspension/ineligibility.

State basically was without their 2 best players last night and a freshman, and 3 players were sick.

hurleyfor3
11-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Is there ever good news for State?

ForkFondler
11-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Is there ever good news for State?

Ok, I'll bite:

1. Most, if not all of the plates will return.
2. They won anyway.

COYS
11-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Ok, I'll bite:

1. Most, if not all of the plates will return.
2. They won anyway.

That last point is why I was disappointed Princeton couldn't get the victory. State was particularly vulnerable last night.