PDA

View Full Version : SBNation's Andrew Sharp

airowe
11-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Your featured contributor Andrew Sharp is an embarrasment. His latest piece is chock full of disproved conjecture.

I'm sure he'll be praised by editor Jamie Mottram, also a longtime Duke hater, but he's nothing more than a glorified Bleacher Report link baiter.

Is link his piece but I'd rather not feed his tiny ego.

Sorry to DBR for airing my feelings here, but as you're an SBNation site I figured it would be the best place. Delete thread if not.

RepoMan
11-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Wow. What a wretched article. Hard to know where to begin. Ignoring is probably best

moonpie23
11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
hate much?

Scorp4me
11-16-2011, 02:59 PM
The article's goals were so obvious it's hard to get upset. Throw out a few stories, most without even a basis in fact, belittling Coach K and call it a day. I mean come on. Everyone else is giving him his well deserved respect much to the delight of Duke fans everywhere. Here's a "rogue" writer creating a story that the other 99% of the country will click, read, and praise. It's a no brainer. Unless of course you have integrity, but that obviously doesn't seem to be a problem here.

InSpades
11-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Honestly, I see the article as glowing praise for Coach K. When those are the worst things you can say about a guy after *37* years of coaching college basketball... he's obviously been doing things the right way.

The best thing you can come up with to question his loyalty is that he thought about taking another job?

Ken Burgess is the most reliable source for information on Coach K's character?

2 parents of 2 players got jobs in the area while their sons were players at Duke? How does this compare to coaches actually hiring the parents of future players to be on their staff?

He thought Will Avery shouldn't turn pro? Avery spent 3 years in the NBA, never really played all that much and ended up in europe. Maybe Will should have stuck around past his sophomore year afterall.

Troublemaker
11-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Ignoring is probably best

Nah. One of the reasons I like SBNation is that it has a robust comments section for their articles.

Our coach has won 903 games, 830 of them for Duke. He deserves a little effort from us Duke fans in debunking this hatchet job.

I don't have an SBNation account and apparently it takes 24 hours for a new one to become active, but if someone does have an account, let's start with the debunking.

Could someone with an active account please post this excerpt from Blue Blood in which Avery and his mother deny Kirkpatrick's story: http://books.google.com/books?id=mpQZSJAq2fcC&pg=PA309&lpg=PA309&dq=Simonton+kirkpatrick&source=bl&ots=j20eVIhleb&sig=x_ncIBkqOS57etkFNZt3qpYK6uU&hl=en&ei=1XRoTYOAG9S_tgfawMTmAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Simonton%20kirkpatrick&f=false

Obviously mention that Kirkpatrick is a UNC grad.

And obviously try to be respectful and represent Duke well when replying.

mkline09
11-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I stopped reading as soon as he "quoted" Ken Burgess. Enough said for me.

A-Tex Devil
11-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I posted something quickly. But seriously, the guy is basically summarizing the "truthaboutduke" website. Let it go. I wouldn't be surprised if he's written 90% of this same article for 4 or 5 different websites in the past.

It's an Alex Jones/Infowars type of a take on the Coach K, and the sooner we recognize that these folks aren't worth responding to point for poiut the better. And the people that fall for this type of article hook line and sinker are beyond hope as well.

BTW -- SBNation is picking up a blog that me, another Duke grad and a UNC fan started. It's prenatal, but I love the site, the format and the people I've dealt with there. It's a great, great network, and despite this article, is getting better by the day.

roywhite
11-16-2011, 03:28 PM
What a piece of garbage that article was.

Somewhere beyond Gregg Doyel and elements of Inside Carolina. Ugh.

Troublemaker
11-16-2011, 03:35 PM
The guy is basically summarizing the "truthaboutduke" website. Let it go. I wouldn't be surprised if he's written 90% of this same article for 4 or 5 different websites in the past.

It's an Alex Jones/Infowars type of a take on the Coach K, and the sooner we recognize that these folks aren't worth responding to the better. And the people that fall for this type of article hook line and sinker are beyond hope as well.

I would usually agree with you, but this article currently leads off the front page of the largest sports blogging network on the internet, with supposedly 12 million unique visitors a month ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBNation ).

It's worth responding to imo because this is reaching a wide audience and it's complete BS.

A-Tex Devil
11-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I would usually agree with you, but this article currently leads off the front page of the largest sports blogging network on the internet, with supposedly 12 million unique visitors a month ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBNation ).

It's worth responding to imo because this is reaching a wide audience and it's complete BS.

Heh --- I had seen the article earlier via twitter. Once I saw that it was now the headline, I edited my post to add that I ended up commenting.

Also --- I spoke to a guy that is high up at SBNation in their college blogs group. This very website we are all on generates by far the most traffic of all of SBNation's websites other than its MMA sites (which are clearly national in scope and where they have pulled the best reporters).

I thought that was pretty impressive, especially considering DBR has been able to keep its own identity rather than assimilating into the SBNation form.

Starter
11-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Had this in another thread, but this is the second time he's written the same article (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2011/11/16/2566121/mike-krzyzewski-record-duke-basketball-bob-knight). I'd say he needs some new material, except he probably can't find anything from the past decade or so.

diveonthefloor
11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I assume that Andrew Sharp is a UNC grad?
His SBNation profile mentions that UNC is his fav college basketball team, but nothing about his background.

SBNation is a pretty high profile blog. I am very surprised that they would run a piece of garbage like that.
While K is certainly no saint, he's probably closer to sainthood than 99.9% of men to ever coach the game.
SBNation could have written a piece describing Mike's less saintly side and done so in an accurate manner. Guess
they weren't concerned about accuracy.

moonpie23
11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
His SBNation profile mentions that UNC is his fav college basketball team,

82-50

loldevilz
11-16-2011, 07:05 PM
No point wasting time on bigots.

mkline09
11-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Hey guys I was so inspired by this yahoo and another yahoo I found out about that I wrote my own blog post on these two "writers." I did so I believe in a respectful manner with just a tinge of sarcasm so if you are so inclinded I'd love your thoughts.

http://dukesportsblog.com/2011/11/16/some-bloggers-that-hate-duke-will-do-it-but-i-wont.aspx

wsb3
11-17-2011, 07:17 AM
He thought Will Avery shouldn't turn pro? Avery spent 3 years in the NBA, never really played all that much and ended up in europe. Maybe Will should have stuck around past his sophomore year afterall.[/QUOTE]

So Coach K is honest? I much prefer that..I remember when Avery went pro and Coach could have pretended it was all great but that would not be honest, and the man has proven to be honest..

I think most of us at that time thought Avery leaving was a bad idea..I said at the time when the first 3 year contract was up he would be out of the NBA. I wish I would have been wrong.

I guess we should ignore all of the attributes passed out this week and listened to one bitter idiot.

gwlaw99
11-17-2011, 09:54 AM
If this is all he can come up with when he tries to do a complete hatchet job, then he has proven what a great person Coach K is. I was going to post a comment, but that is exactly what we shouldn't do -- feed the troll.

forbiddendonut
11-17-2011, 10:07 AM
I would say that Avery made the right decision (assuming he invested his NBA dollars wisely). He was not an NBA-level player and another year at Duke would not have changed that. He was a complimentary piece on a loaded 1999 team. He sold high. A mistake was made and it was made by the Minnesota Timberwolves, not William Avery.

I think Coach K is fantastic but is anyone really suggesting that one more year at Duke would have made Avery a 10-year player in the NBA instead of a 3-year washout?

roywhite
11-17-2011, 10:19 AM
I would say that Avery made the right decision (assuming he invested his NBA dollars wisely). He was not an NBA-level player and another year at Duke would not have changed that. He was a complimentary piece on a loaded 1999 team. He sold high. A mistake was made and it was made by the Minnesota Timberwolves, not William Avery.

I think Coach K is fantastic but is anyone really suggesting that one more year at Duke would have made Avery a 10-year player in the NBA instead of a 3-year washout?

I suppose this is a matter of opinion, but, yes, I believe Avery would have been a better NBA player with a better chance for a long run if had stayed at Duke for one more year.
He would have had the benefit of Coach K's coaching (who, among other things, did far better with the Olympic team than pro coaches had done) and an extra year of personal maturity, too.

As noted, Coach K did not make discouraging comments in most instances when guys jumped early; I have to believe he was sincere in his assessment of Avery.

Lord Ash
11-17-2011, 10:26 AM
I am shocked that was published at all, but the linked site isn't exactly journalism. It does, however, highlight the nature of "journalism" in this age of internet writing/anything goes.

Oh, and everyone involved with the Avery situation has said the "OMG you f'ed my program!" thing never happened. Everyone. But most Carolina fans won't let the facts get in the way of a good yarn that proves what they already "know."

killerleft
11-17-2011, 11:36 AM

I'm with you here. If Avery couldn't convince anyone in three years that he could stick in the NBA, I doubt another year with K would have been a silver bullet. Avery made a fortunate decision. He didn't know exactly WHY it was good, but that changes nothing.

SoCalDukeFan
11-17-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm with you here. If Avery couldn't convince anyone in three years that he could stick in the NBA, I doubt another year with K would have been a silver bullet. Avery made a fortunate decision. He didn't know exactly WHY it was good, but that changes nothing.

1. Would his draft status have improved with another year at Duke ? My guess is yes.

2. Would he have been "happy" at Duke without Brand and Maggette around ? My guess is no.l

Just guesses.

Article was ridiculous. No one who starts an article with Ken Burgess as the source should be allowed to call himself anything other than a hack.

SoCal

InSpades
11-17-2011, 03:53 PM

You make it sound like he wasn't a major player on that team. He led the entire team in minutes. Was 3rd in scoring, 1st in assists. I thought he was incredibly talented. Look at how much Nolan improved from his sophomore year to his senior year (or even just sophomore to junior). It's hard to say how things would have been different. It's certainly possible that he wouldn't get drafted in the 1st round if he stuck around. It's also possible that he would have had that 10-year career. I think he would have needed to decline pretty seriously to not get drafted in the 1st round.

rhcpflea99
11-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Wish I could made contributions that way DBR didn't have affiliate with garbage like that.

duke79
11-17-2011, 04:42 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=ApAKtgcCrw1lXEcDxyXsvag5nYcB?slug=dw-wetzel_stop_deifying_coaches_krzyzewski_paterno111 711

Interesting opinion piece on Yahoo Sports about not deifying coaches, including Coach K.

dukelifer
11-17-2011, 05:07 PM
I am shocked that was published at all, but the linked site isn't exactly journalism. It does, however, highlight the nature of "journalism" in this age of internet writing/anything goes.

Oh, and everyone involved with the Avery situation has said the "OMG you f'ed my program!" thing never happened. Everyone. But most Carolina fans won't let the facts get in the way of a good yarn that proves what they already "know."

This article is a bit like Andrew Sharp once had an argument with his best friend, drank and beer before he
was 21, and got help on his homework without permission and therefore "He's petty, dishonest, vindictive, caustic, and calculating." Spin away Mr. Sharp- you are apparently defined by every misstep you make. I wonder what perfect coach he most admires.

Duvall
11-17-2011, 05:19 PM
I wonder what perfect coach he most admires.

Who do you think?

devildeac
11-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Replying to this dillweed and/or trying to reason with a hater like that reminds me once again of this piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iVKPUNoeI4

(language advisory)