PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs Michigan State (Nov 15, 2011)

Bob Green
11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Who was the Man of the Match?

NSDukeFan
11-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Dre all Day

mapei
11-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Dre. And good to see.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Gotta be Dre' for his shooting (and defense!) in the first half!

mph
11-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Andre was awesome.

OldPhiKap
11-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Could be as close to unanimous as we've had in a long time. Dre was NASTY good.

CLW
Andre although a decent argument can be made for Curry (5 steals 5 rebounds and 20 points) and Kelly played well off of the bench.

Newton_14
Now that! Is the ANDRE DAWKINS that we have been waiting to see. Great game Andre! Keep it up son!

Put the team on his back in the first half when they were searching for answers. Followed up with a very solid 2nd Half.

MCFinARL
11-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Arguably, too obvious even to permit discussion. Not just the shooting, but a strong, alert performance throughout. Andre looked focused and engaged when some other folks were forcing things or making egregious mental errors.

Bluedevil114
11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Please let this be Dre's breakout game!! We will need shooting and leadership like that from Dre to have a successful season!!

fitimi1
11-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Amen, amen and amen!

wncdevilfan
11-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Andre was "The Giant" tonight. No doubt.

Newton_14
11-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Could be as close to unanimous as we've had in a long time. Dre was NASTY good.

I am convinced we will never have a unanimous vote in one of these....

basket1544
11-15-2011, 10:59 PM
I voted for Dre, but there were spots in the game where Seth was the best player and others where Ryan was. Still Man of the Night was Coach K, just like the 902 other wins!

subzero02
11-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I was planning on voting for Mason due to his quality foul shooting; however he fell off significantly in that department towards the end of the game.

Son of Jarhead
11-16-2011, 12:12 AM
Andre, for sure. (Seth & Ryan get honorable mention)

What I was particularly glad to see was his focus & leadership. He was very engaged all night & was talking a lot. He was moving more off the ball. Playing good D. All great to see. Keep it going, Andre!

Remember, last year in the first game after KI got hurt, Dre went off for what?, 28? After that, defenses focused on him more heavily. That is sure to be the focus of opponents now, too. What I am expecting to be the difference is that growth in focus, engagement, talking, defensive intensity, etc., that we saw tonight.

Also, I noticed in the first two games this year that Andre was not being found by his teammates well on offense, or perhaps he wasn't working well for his shot. I think he only had one shot in the 1st half of one of those games, but in the second half they seemed to be looking for him more. Could have been a coaching focus this week. That and Andre hunting his shot more, moving more off the ball. We really need to develope some "go to" players, and I really think Dre is going to be a big key for us this year if he can fill that roll. I'm looking forward to watching him continue to grow as a player. Should be a fun year.

devildeac
11-16-2011, 07:43 AM
First of the year for Dre. Hopefully, not the last. Truly outstanding performance.

CDu
11-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Kelly had a very efficient game. But I think he was clearly secondary to Dawkins in this one. Dawkins shot us into this game when we couldn't score early, and kept hitting as the game carried on. Big night from him.

jv001
11-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Probably the best game that I've see Andre play at Duke. He played pretty good defense and even drove the ball to the basket. Adding this to his offense could make Andre one of the best players in the country. I hope this game is the spring board to a great season for this young man. GoDuke!

dukepsy1963
11-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Dawkins and Kelly

Keep it up!!!

elvis14
11-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Dawkins was easily the MOTM. Looks like Ryan Kelly's Mom must be on this board b/c he received one vote :confused:

meloveduke
11-16-2011, 10:51 AM
No wuestion in my eyes, Dre.....

SilkyJ
11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Anti-man of the match: Those freaking stickers on the court. I saw the Dawson kid almost blow out his knee in the aircraft carrier game b/c of one of those. We get a late TO.

How hard is it for Coach K, Izzo, and a few others to say: we won't play in your tournament if there's a freaking sticker on the floor?!?!?!?

hq2
11-16-2011, 12:40 PM
'dre, hands down.

Azdukefan
11-16-2011, 12:50 PM
While I have a seriously unhealthy mancrush on a kid at least ten years younger than me (Dawkins), I felt it necessary to give some "props" to the most steady hand we've had all year long (Curry). To be honest, I am feeling really good about being able to share the love with the MOTM award all year long. It has been a while since we were so balanced.

CDu
11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Anti-man of the match: Those freaking stickers on the court. I saw the Dawson kid almost blow out his knee in the aircraft carrier game b/c of one of those. We get a late TO.

How hard is it for Coach K, Izzo, and a few others to say: we won't play in your tournament if there's a freaking sticker on the floor?!?!?!?

I have to think that's coming soon. But then again, these stickers have been around for a few years now, and the outcry hasn't reached a critical mass. But clearly they're dangerous. Unfortunately, I think it's going to take a full-on ACL tear in a prominent game for change to happen.

NSDukeFan
11-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Andre, for sure. (Seth & Ryan get honorable mention)

What I was particularly glad to see was his focus & leadership. He was very engaged all night & was talking a lot. He was moving more off the ball. Playing good D. All great to see. Keep it going, Andre!

Remember, last year in the first game after KI got hurt, Dre went off for what?, 28? After that, defenses focused on him more heavily. That is sure to be the focus of opponents now, too. What I am expecting to be the difference is that growth in focus, engagement, talking, defensive intensity, etc., that we saw tonight.

Also, I noticed in the first two games this year that Andre was not being found by his teammates well on offense, or perhaps he wasn't working well for his shot. I think he only had one shot in the 1st half of one of those games, but in the second half they seemed to be looking for him more. Could have been a coaching focus this week. That and Andre hunting his shot more, moving more off the ball. We really need to develope some "go to" players, and I really think Dre is going to be a big key for us this year if he can fill that roll. I'm looking forward to watching him continue to grow as a player. Should be a fun year.

I wonder if Andre was just being too unselfish in the first couple of games as he was taking contested shots that might not be good shots for everyone in this game. I believe he had a hand in his face on several of his threes. He is a good enough shooter that sometimes that is a good shot for him though, as long as he can square up, which he does very well and quickly.

CDu
11-16-2011, 01:21 PM
I wonder if Andre was just being too unselfish in the first couple of games as he was taking contested shots that might not be good shots for everyone in this game. I believe he had a hand in his face on several of his threes. He is a good enough shooter that sometimes that is a good shot for him though, as long as he can square up, which he does very well and quickly.

I think part of it is that he can be a bit of a streaky shooter. He shot 1-5 on 3pt shots in his first game and 1-3 in his second game. In this game, he came out and nailed some early. I'm guessing his confidence rose after that. And given that the rest of the offense was struggling, he kept shooting. And he kept hitting.

bjornolf
11-16-2011, 02:22 PM
I voted for Dre, but only because K wasn't an option. :D

wilko
11-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I went with TT.
Not that other mentions arent deserving of accolades...

But for my personal tastes, I appreciate what this guy did on the court. He deserves SOME love.

It seemed like he was in the mix getting lose balls, rebounds and tie-ups, strips you name it, he was involved defensively. He was able to mask some problems with our post defense that we havent quite yet solved. If he doesnt Do what he did, I feel MSU gets a few more easy baskets.

Billy Dat
11-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Tweet...

CP3 Chris Paul
Andre Dawkins can SHOOT the life out of a basketball...#Cp3EliteCampAlum

NSDukeFan
11-16-2011, 03:19 PM
I think part of it is that he can be a bit of a streaky shooter. He shot 1-5 on 3pt shots in his first game and 1-3 in his second game. In this game, he came out and nailed some early. I'm guessing his confidence rose after that. And given that the rest of the offense was struggling, he kept shooting. And he kept hitting.

I think you're right. The chicken and egg situation is that he also seemed very focused defensively. Was that because he was feeling like a leader because he was carrying the team offensively? Or was he shooting better because he was so focused and ready to play? Or maybe neither, as my impression is that even when he wasn't that involved offensively in the first couple of games, he was still solid defensively.

wilko
11-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Dag!
I cant believe I just got busted for an opinion..

TT may not have had the "Flash" of others but I think his contributions were instrumental in getting the "W".
If you disagree fine, that's your right. At least sign it and own it- don't be a coward about it.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Dag!
I cant believe I just got busted for an opinion..

TT may not have had the "Flash" of others but I think his contributions were instrumental in getting the "W".
If you disagree fine, that's your right. At least sign it and own it- don't be a coward about it.

Don't worry, someone sent me an (unsigned) negative comment yesterday afternoon for stating that the MSU game would be close and we might lose.

Silly me.

Acymetric
11-16-2011, 05:04 PM
I have to think that's coming soon. But then again, these stickers have been around for a few years now, and the outcry hasn't reached a critical mass. But clearly they're dangerous. Unfortunately, I think it's going to take a full-on ACL tear in a prominent game for change to happen.

There has got to be a way to make the logos out of some kind of textured material that would allow shoes to get some traction...isn't it almost 2012? We're in the future and can't come up with a decently safe/non-intrusive floor logo?

OldPhiKap
11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
There has got to be a way to make the logos out of some kind of textured material that would allow shoes to get some traction...isn't it almost 2012? We're in the future and can't come up with a decently safe/non-intrusive floor logo?

Or, do some sort of computer image like the virtual first down line and line of scrimage in football.

KenTankerous
11-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Or, do some sort of computer image like the virtual first down line and line of scrimage in football.

Exactly! Or how tough would it be to project these images on to the court? There has got to be a better way than slapping latex and enamel on hard wood.

Acymetric
11-16-2011, 05:42 PM

But then it wouldn't show up in any photos of the game or video of the game that wasn't pulled from the live broadcast, which is a big deal. Not as important, but still a problem, is that those present wouldn't see it.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2011, 08:13 PM
But then it wouldn't show up in any photos of the game or video of the game that wasn't pulled from the live broadcast, which is a big deal. Not as important, but still a problem, is that those present wouldn't see it.

Good point, although it would be on all offically-licensed versions.

Not sure what the answer is.

Maybe just tattoo the logo on the ref's foreheads?

basket1544
11-16-2011, 10:39 PM
In the Memphis Belmont game on Tuesday, the refs decided to pull up the stickers after JJ Mann got hurt sliding on one of the stickers. According to the announcers the stickers can be pulled up at the refs discretion this year. I hope all the refs make this decision more and more before a player gets hurt. I think of Kyrie's toe every time I see a sticker (I know his injury wasn't due to a sticker but it was such a small slip for such a big injury).

Son of Jarhead
11-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Could be... good points. I can think of a couple forced shots, but for the most part, he was taking them in the flow of the O. The more I think about it, maybe in the first two games Andre was still in his role from the last two years of being the opposite wing shooter waiting for the defense to collapse on/switch to/double John/Nolan/Kyle/Kyrie. That role had him standing around a good bit waiting for the chance to spot up. It seemed to me that against Mich St, he was an earlier option for the offense, having more plays run for him, screens set for him, getting him moving more. Could still be a chicken vs. egg thing... he hit a couple shots early so they kept going back to him in the first half since no one else was getting it done, or... they have made him more of a focus of the offense, using him like JJ sort of, and that has him feeling more confident. Still, Andre has always shot better when he hits one early, but he is playing better in the other facets of the game (like on D or being more vocal, etc.). I really hope I'm reading him correctly now in that I'm seeing him turning a corner towards being more than just a shooter... to being a team leader that can be counted on every night to deliver. He is such a likable kid with an infectious smile, and the occasional impish grin (there should be an emoticon for that!), and I just really want him to do well. Keep it going Andre... All Day Dre, All Day!

bjornolf
11-17-2011, 05:53 AM

Couldn't they use some sort of stain on the floor (they have great stains now) UNDER the wax? You couldn't change it easily week to week, but it would be SO much safer. Advertising logos could be projected or added with computer graphics.

Jderf
11-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Couldn't they use some sort of stain on the floor (they have great stains now) UNDER the wax? You couldn't change it easily week to week, but it would be SO much safer. Advertising logos could be projected or added with computer graphics.

Yeah. They could use a virtual image, no problem. The technology exists and is probably even cheaper. There's absolutely no excuse for the stickers. I still have trouble wrapping my head around the irony of "purely amateur" athletes hurting themselves on advertisements that they are not allowed to capitalize from.

MCFinARL
11-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Yes--although IIRC, his first shot was kind of a clunker--farther off the mark than his early shots in the other two games which were more in and out. And that didn't stop him. The second one went in.

It did seem like he was moving more, but it also seemed like his teammates were looking for him more. There were several occasions in the earlier games when Andre was waving his hands calling for the ball and, for whatever reason, his teammates did not give it to him. I'm not expert enough to judge whether that was because he wasn't in the best position or whether it was because they simply chose other options, but either way it was different from this game, where they looked to pass to him more often.

I also agree with other posters that Andre's level of play and focus beyond scoring have seemed consistently improved so far this year. I don't expect we will see him score 26 points every game, but if he can contribute solidly whether or not his shot is on, it will be a big help to the team.