PDA

View Full Version : Memphis 97, Belmont 81

homebre
11-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Memphis 97 Belmont 79

J4Kop99
11-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Yeah I was just going to post this in the MSU game thread.

Who knows what this means though. I didn't get to watch much of the game... did Belmont look good at all?

Wander
11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Who knows what this means though.

Memphis is really good. Right now, Duke is ranked 6 and Memphis 10 - it's more accurate the other way around.

Bluedog
11-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Memphis is really good. Right now, Duke is ranked 6 and Memphis 10 - it's more accurate the other way around.

Well, we'll find out soon enough (assuming Memphis gets by UMich and we get by TN). That's the beauty of college basketball! Rankings are meaningless and champions are determined by play on the court. The transitive property of winning also doesn't usually work out so well, so I don't think you can read too much into Belmont losing badly. They also couldn't buy a bucket from 3 against Memphis. I think Belmont is one of those teams that have potential for big upsets when hitting their long range buckets (like they did against us in the second half), but if they're cold from long range, it could get ugly. Having said that, obviously defense has a role in how well they shoot.

basket1544
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
It was an interesting game. Memphis' point guard was able to run away from Belmont. Belmont did get back into the game twice though. Memphis had a 12 point lead in the first half and Belmont came back to lead by 2. Then Memphis went on a run to get a 20 point lead and Belmont cut that to 7 before Memphis went on another run. Truly Belmont is a team to worry about in March with their ability to come back.

pfrduke
11-15-2011, 02:38 PM
It was an interesting game. Memphis' point guard was able to run away from Belmont. Belmont did get back into the game twice though. Memphis had a 12 point lead in the first half and Belmont came back to lead by 2. Then Memphis went on a run to get a 20 point lead and Belmont cut that to 7 before Memphis went on another run. Truly Belmont is a team to worry about in March with their ability to come back.

Yeah, the game looked relatively similar to the Duke game through about the first 33 minutes. The difference was really in the last 7. Memphis did a much better job of executing down the stretch than we did (and Belmont missed some wide open threes), which allowed them to keep the Bruins at bay. The final score was a bit misleading (but, then, I'd say the final score of our game was a bit misleading, too, as we were in control for almost all but the last few minutes), but Memphis certainly looked very good.

mkline09
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Don't think you can even compare. I don't think Belmont shot as well, Memphis is a different team than Duke and in college basketball anything can happen on a given day. The Tigers gave Belmont fits with there athleticism and length. Maybe more of the later. Belmont is still a good team. Duke is still a good team and by all accounts Memphis is a good team. No need to worry about it very much. Tigers played a good game.

A-Tex Devil
11-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Just ask Texas Tech-OU-Texas in football.

While games can't be looked at in complete vacuums, using transitive theory to have concerns about a team 2-3 games into its season is the height of alarmism.

superdave
11-15-2011, 03:12 PM
TobaccoRdBlues Shane Ryan
Memphis' effective field goal % was 64.7, which they topped just once last season. Higher than Arizona's 61.1 total vs. Duke last March.
14 minutes ago

Underdog5
11-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Has been said but Memphis defended the perimeter much better than we did. Their length and athletes bothered them a lot more. Belmont was scrappy as expected but didn't have the horses to keep up. All credit should go to Memphis. Wouldn't argue that the eye test says Duke-Memphis rankings should swap but not that concerned this early in the season. Looking forward to seeing us continue to develop tonight in the Garden.

juise
11-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Another possible consideration: How much time did Belmont have to specifically prepare for Duke versus how long they prepared for Memphis?

Duke of Nashville
11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
I watched a bit of the game on my lunch break and Memphis's length appeared to really bother Belmonts outside shooting. Belmont was simply over matched. In such a large arena it was a good test for the Bruins. But the game in Cameron was probably a bit closer to home.

oldnavy
11-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Hard to extrapolate in CBB, the game is so dependant on match ups.

ikiru36
11-15-2011, 04:52 PM
While the transitive property in such situations is highly flawed to begin with, let's even keep a proper perspective on this 16 pt. win by Memphis, compared with Duke's 1 pt. (some say 4 pt.) victory.

1) Duke, I believe, was up by as many as 16 pts. in the 2nd half against Belmont
2) Belmont was only down 7 with less than 4 minutes remaining in this game against Memphis
3) Memphis had the benefit of being able to watch the Duke game in developing their game plan

Anyways, props to Memphis for handling an experienced and skilled Belmont team that remains a likely top mid-major this year.
Duke still showed a lot of heart overcoming a high-pressure end of game situation, and we're likely to be improving from there on out.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke4life92
11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Yes,i felt it had the duke game feel all over again as belmont cut it to 7 and then missed numerous wide open 3's that they buried against duke late in that game.Had they hit them maybe the pressure would have affected the young memphis team the same way but woulda coulda shoulda,nice game at then end by memphis,congrats.Nothing to gain by comparing outcomes,jmo.

mapei
11-15-2011, 05:47 PM
"using transitive theory to have concerns about a team 2-3 games into its season is the height of alarmism"

"While the transitive property in such situations is highly flawed to begin with"

This is a sports board? ;)

chrishoke
11-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Mephis played very good defense, inside and out. Belmont had great trouble finishing insiside. Mephis was much bedtter than I expected. Long and athletic all over the court. Props to them.