PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving in the NBA

wncdevilfan
11-14-2011, 09:00 AM
So I'm just wondering whats running through Kyrie's mind these days. I know playing in the league was/is a dream of his, but there lies the problem. He isn't "playing" in the league. Wonder if the kid is having second thoughts about his decision knowing he could be running the point for our team right about now. To be honest, I sure do wish we had him back, but I can't blame him for bolting. Anytime you can go as a lottery pick, you have to consider it, and a chance to be a number one pick is very rare, and he did that too. I just can't help but to think that he is watching those DUKE games and thinking, "Man I wish I was there." It would be fun to see how many free throws we would be shooting with him and Austin on the same team taking it to the rack every chance they got. Oh well, if wishes were fishes I guess we'd all eat good!!!

superdave
11-14-2011, 09:02 AM
He tweeted a few weeks ago that he had no regrets, he was very close to his dream of playing in the league and hoped the NBA seasons started soon.

Most of these kids dont dream of college. They dream of the NBA. They have a very different perspective from DBR message board posters.

davekay1971
11-14-2011, 09:27 AM
I hope and expect Kyrie is thinking some of the following thoughts:

"I really hope the owners and union get their stuff together and settle this thing...I'm bored!"

"Gotta work out, gotta keep in shape."

"I wonder if Dad got me Modern Warfare 3 for Christmas like I asked..."

"Wow, they really miss me on the DBR! Awww...glad to know you guys care!"

"Dwight Howard looked pretty silly in that MW3 commercial. He's too tall for camo. I'm gonna look MUCH better in the MW4 commercial! Maybe they can get Scarlett Johannsen in there somehow..."

"Seth's looking really sharp at the point. I knew he'd do great there this year. But Tyler and Quinn gonna keep pushing him for minutes."

"Man, Mase and Miles look good in the post! That Wojo sure is a great little big man coach!"

stillcrazie
11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
He is in school and has a big Nike contract. I don't think he's looking back at all.

Mike Corey
11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
So I'm just wondering whats running through Kyrie's mind these days.

http://twitter.com/#!/KyrieIrving

PADukeMom
11-14-2011, 09:45 AM
"Good luck Coach K on going for 903 tomorrow...hmmm...wonder if I can still score a ticket to the game"

"GTHCGTH"

Whatever Kyrie is thinking I am sure he is happy & will soon be an NBA player.

elvis14
11-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I think it goes something like this....

KI's to do list:
1) Go to class, congratulate current Devils on 2 wins
2) Call NBA friends see what's up with lockout
3) Make it to the bank to cash another check from Nike
4) Hit the gym so I'm ready

Although I do think he'd love to have been playing this weekend...he was the #1 overall pick. He did the right thing and he knows it. He's set, he's on his way and I wish him the best!

mkline09
11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
I have thought about this too and I keep coming back to the same conclusion. He had a chance to be the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft so he had to take that. He is a very smart kid. He has been taking his classes, working out at Duke for a possible NBA season, propbably still talking to coaches for advice. I'm quite certain a small part of him would have loved to stay, but given the injury he had no real choice but to go once healthy. I'm happy for him. Selfishly would have loved for him to say but it ain't about me or any other fan it is all about his dreams and he certainly was ready. There have been other leave early guys I didn't feel as warm and fuzzy about but he certainly isn't one of them. Best of luck to him, though I selfishly would love to see there be no NBA season, at least long enough to see the Tobacco Road rivalry game played.

fgb
11-14-2011, 10:48 AM
kyrie is a smart kid. the lockout, and its longevity, were being talked about a lot last season; i'm imagine that the situation was factored in to his decision.

kudos to him for enrolling in classes. says a lot about the person he is, imo.

UrinalCake
11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I mentioned this in another thread but it was reported that Kyrie wouldn't be fully healed from his foot injury until November or December. So even if the NBA season had started on time he wouldn't be playing right now. At the time when he made his decision to leave, he probably knew that and also knew that a delayed NBA season was likely, so it made sense to go. More importantly though, if you're the #1 pick how can you not go? The only place you could go in the draft by staying another year is down.

It's natural for us as fans to feel bummed that he's not here and to imagine what it would be like with him on this year's team, but he made the right decision. And thinking long-term it could actually help us with recruiting to know that we produced the #1 pick.

J4Kop99
11-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm sure there is a part of him that wishes he could go out and play with his fellow Duke teammates while he is watching the games but it seems like he is completely at peace with his decision and is excited to get his chance in the NBA.

It sucks that his first year is being torn apart by the lockout though. I would think that the rookies would be at a pretty large disadvantage if the NBA were to play a shortened season without a normal training camp and pre-season schedule. Hopefully that is not the case though and it all works out for him this year.

--Switching topics... if the NBA were to cancel the entire season, how would they handle the draft for next year?

wncdevilfan
11-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Well, thats pretty sweet. I didn't know he was still enrolled and going to school Thats great for him and it does show alot of character. He is a good kid and always has been I think. Its really hard not to like him. I hope he does well in the league.

J4Kop99
11-14-2011, 02:12 PM
I wonder if Kyrie's mind has changed in the last hour or so... I can't believe they are going to decertify.

grossbus
11-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Two words: NOT PLAYING

Starter
11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
KyrieIrving Kyrie Irving
Lol now everybody wanna flood my mentions with you shoulda stayed in school...eh yea and no...I have NO regrets at all though!! Sorry
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

So, there's that. I also did this interview (http://dimemag.com/2011/10/dime-qa-kyrie-irving-talks-duke-cleveland-nba-lockout/) with him last month which should elucidate some of his line of thinking. My opinion, for what it's worth? The Nike deal alone makes it a no-brainer decision. If you're smart, you can live off that alone for the rest of your life. Kyrie is smart.

Newton_14
11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
So, there's that. I also did this interview (http://dimemag.com/2011/10/dime-qa-kyrie-irving-talks-duke-cleveland-nba-lockout/) with him last month which should elucidate some of his line of thinking. My opinion, for what it's worth? The Nike deal alone makes it a no-brainer decision. If you're smart, you can live off that alone for the rest of your life. Kyrie is smart.

Good article Starter. Thanks. I also started following you on Twitter. I don't really get why people keep bringing this up actually. He made his decision, and from every indication it was not a knee-jerk reaction. He thought it through, considered all the options and possibilities including the Lockout, and decided it was the right time. I don't think the status of the lockout changes anything. His goal was to be the Number 1 pick in the draft. Once he saw that it was very likely, he went for it, knowing full well what all the consequences of the decision would be. Kyrie went all in as a cheerleader, coach, and teammate during the time he was on the sidelines in the boot. I watched him many nights in CIS soaking up every single second of the experience, when many kids these days would not have done that. He won me over for life doing that.

I am ecstatic that he enrolled at Duke for his Sophomore year, and I expect he will get that Duke Degree much sooner than later. He should be applauded for that. I am sad that due to the injury, he only got to play 8 games or whatever it was. That is the part to regret, because the injury gods took away a potential magical season for Duke and Kyrie, and he lost out on opportunities to make even better memories. Outside of that, I wish him well and look forward to seeing him play in the NBA, whenever that day may come. Until then, I hope he does well in his studies, gets that toe fully back to 100% health, and helps us root the 2011-12 Blue Devils to many victories.

CLT Devil
11-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Funny, I was thinking about the same thing, alebit briefly, of what Kyrie was thinking today - I forgot all about his Nike contract, which I think would at least keep the power on until they do play NBA ball again.

The one I wonder about is Henderson. He was drafted against Larry Browns wishes (or at least he wasn't LB's preferred pick) and spent the year riding the pine and getting criticized by his Coach in the paper on a regular basis. However, Duke couldn't have possibly done any better the year after he left, so it's not about 'what if's' from the fan, but rather the player.

Yeah, I know, he's concentrated on nothing but getter better and how to help his team while counting his money, but from all accounts he was pretty miserable in Charlotte his rookie year. You can't ever second guess getting drafted high and getting paid a large amount of money...

Starter
11-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Good article Starter. Thanks. I also started following you on Twitter. I don't really get why people keep bringing this up actually. He made his decision, and from every indication it was not a knee-jerk reaction. He thought it through, considered all the options and possibilities including the Lockout, and decided it was the right time. I don't think the status of the lockout changes anything. His goal was to be the Number 1 pick in the draft. Once he saw that it was very likely, he went for it, knowing full well what all the consequences of the decision would be. Kyrie went all in as a cheerleader, coach, and teammate during the time he was on the sidelines in the boot. I watched him many nights in CIS soaking up every single second of the experience, when many kids these days would not have done that. He won me over for life doing that.

I am ecstatic that he enrolled at Duke for his Sophomore year, and I expect he will get that Duke Degree much sooner than later. He should be applauded for that. I am sad that due to the injury, he only got to play 8 games or whatever it was. That is the part to regret, because the injury gods took away a potential magical season for Duke and Kyrie, and he lost out on opportunities to make even better memories. Outside of that, I wish him well and look forward to seeing him play in the NBA, whenever that day may come. Until then, I hope he does well in his studies, gets that toe fully back to 100% health, and helps us root the 2011-12 Blue Devils to many victories.

Thanks Mark, and as usual, I agree with all these sentiments. I don't often think about what would have happened if Kyrie had stayed for a second season, because that was never going to happen. I do often think about what we lost by not seeing him play a full season at Duke. To add to the superlatives he voiced about what could have been, I'd tack on that he may have had the best season of any individual player at Duke. And to think about that team together, Nolan and Kyrie for a whole season... it's mind-boggling.

But I agree, it was great watching him root on the team while he was hurt last year. Great player, great kid. I'm furious I can't currently get his Cavs jersey.

feldspar
11-15-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm sure it's something like "Oh, no! Two women love me. They're both gorgeous and sexy. My wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!"

devildeac
11-15-2011, 08:41 AM
I'd bet a small sum of Newton_14's money that he's thinking, "Man, I just can't wait to sit with the Crazies for the Davidson game and wear that cool Viking hat again." (jk)

SupaDave
11-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Actually the only differences in his life this year are that he's PERSONALLY well off and that he doesn't get to dress out for Duke games.

JayBean
11-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I've been wondering about this for a while. Since he is officially a student, to what extent is he allowed to interact with the team? He probably can't be a "team manager" and help with official practices, but there is nothing stopping him from "playing" against the players individually to work on skills, right? Again, Kyrie can do whatever he wants, but if he chose to help, say Quin work on his perimeter D, (and this is done on non-practice time), I don't see how that would be a violation of any kind.

Again, I don't know, so that's why I'm asking.

SupaDave
11-29-2011, 03:28 PM
I've been wondering about this for a while. Since he is officially a student, to what extent is he allowed to interact with the team? He probably can't be a "team manager" and help with official practices, but there is nothing stopping him from "playing" against the players individually to work on skills, right? Again, Kyrie can do whatever he wants, but if he chose to help, say Quin work on his perimeter D, (and this is done on non-practice time), I don't see how that would be a violation of any kind.

Again, I don't know, so that's why I'm asking.

He's also officially a pro - he can't do anything but watch practice and I'm not even sure about all the rules on that. Now an unsanctioned pick-up game could happen at any time (think Lebron playing with MJ).

wncdevilfan
11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm glad for Kyrie's sake he will get to play some ball for the Cavs. I hope he does well in the league and gets rookie of the year!!!

hughgs
11-30-2011, 07:02 AM
He's also officially a pro - he can't do anything but watch practice and I'm not even sure about all the rules on that. Now an unsanctioned pick-up game could happen at any time (think Lebron playing with MJ).

How is Kyrie working with the basketball team any different than Mallory Cecil coming back and working with the Women's tennis team?

SupaDave
11-30-2011, 07:19 AM
How is Kyrie working with the basketball team any different than Mallory Cecil coming back and working with the Women's tennis team?

It's called a paycheck.

devildeac
11-30-2011, 08:03 AM
"Sure would have been nice for that Sullinger fella to have declared for the NBA draft this year."

hughgs
11-30-2011, 11:23 AM
It's called a paycheck.

You mean that Kyrie is getting paid, even though there's a strike (or was a strike)?

-jk
11-30-2011, 12:38 PM
You mean that Kyrie is getting paid, even though there's a strike (or was a strike)?

Yes - by Nike.

-jk

MCFinARL
11-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes - by Nike.

-jk

So are you saying it is the regular paycheck that makes a difference? Or the size of the paycheck, or something like that? Because Mallory Cecil is a professional and can earn irregular paychecks in tournaments, no? Is it just that the NCAA is more sensitive to the possible influence of professionals in a sport like basketball?

-jk
11-30-2011, 10:32 PM
So are you saying it is the regular paycheck that makes a difference? Or the size of the paycheck, or something like that? Because Mallory Cecil is a professional and can earn irregular paychecks in tournaments, no? Is it just that the NCAA is more sensitive to the possible influence of professionals in a sport like basketball?

Sorry - I was just agreeing that Kyrie was receiving a paycheck. I can't speak to the ncaa and their position on professional staff other than to suggest that if Duke wanted to pay Kyrie to coach, train, or whatever, they probably could have found a way that would have been perfectly fine.

-jk

Newton_14
11-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Sorry - I was just agreeing that Kyrie was receiving a paycheck. I can't speak to the ncaa and their position on professional staff other than to suggest that if Duke wanted to pay Kyrie to coach, train, or whatever, they probably could have found a way that would have been perfectly fine.

-jk

That part is correct because Memphis is doing exactly that with Luke Walton. Luke is officially on their coaching staff currently.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Not sure about Mallory. I know that when Trajan Langdon was here, we had been signed by a professional baseball team and actually was not a scholarship basketball player (IIRC). Padres, maybe? I also went to school with Nancy Hogshead, who was an Olympic swimmer although maybe they don't get paid anyway (or at least in '84 when she won her medals). In any event, like every NCAA rule, it is both screwed-up and subject to incoherent interpretation.

uh_no
11-30-2011, 10:52 PM

-jk

bylaw 14.1.8.1
To be eligible to participate in organized practice sessions, a studentathlete shall be enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies leading to a baccalaureate or equivalent degree as defined by the regulations of the certifying institution.

A student with eligibility remaining who is not enrolled or who is enrolled in less than a minimum full-time program of studies
or a former student-athlete may participate on a regular basis in organized practice sessions, provided the
following conditions are met:

So Kyrie is not allowed to practice since he is not eligible. Note: these are "official" practice sessions....there is nothing stopping him from watching, or from "happening" to run into the team and playing some impromptu pickup....so long as score is not kept...as nolan found out the hard way a few years ago

throatybeard
11-30-2011, 11:20 PM
So I'm just wondering whats running through Kyrie's mind these days.

Jay Sherman: [contemptuously] How do you sleep at night?
Rainier Wolfcastle: On top of a pile of money with many beautiful ladies.

uh_no
11-30-2011, 11:28 PM
What is Kyrie thinking right now???

"mmmm my bed is so comfy"

MCFinARL
12-01-2011, 08:22 AM

-jk

No worries--I see what you mean now. Of course, that might have fallen afoul of some rule about how many coaches, etc., you can have.

Not sure about Mallory. I know that when Trajan Langdon was here, we had been signed by a professional baseball team and actually was not a scholarship basketball player (IIRC). Padres, maybe? I also went to school with Nancy Hogshead, who was an Olympic swimmer although maybe they don't get paid anyway (or at least in '84 when she won her medals). In any event, like every NCAA rule, it is both screwed-up and subject to incoherent interpretation.

Can't remember how long this has been the case, but the best US swimmers do sometimes get support through the US Olympic Committee that apparently doesn't remove their amateur status. Endorsement contracts, however, do make them ineligible for NCAA sports; Ed Moses signed with, I think, Speedo which at UVA and could not continue to swim for the university but did serve as a volunteer assistant coach while continuing his education. A bigger problem for college swimmers with Olympic aspirations is that they sometimes practice more hours daily and weekly than NCAA rules permit. So some choose not to swim in college for that reason. [It's possible these rules have loosened up a bit in recent years, as it seems more top swimmers are competing in the NCAA than used to, say, 20 or 30 years ago.] But many of the top college coaches (at places like Michigan, Texas, Auburn, etc.) also maintain parallel US Swimming training programs using their campus facilities; I don't know whether there is any overlap in the practices or not.

bylaw 14.1.8.1
To be eligible to participate in organized practice sessions, a studentathlete shall be enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies leading to a baccalaureate or equivalent degree as defined by the regulations of the certifying institution.

A student with eligibility remaining who is not enrolled or who is enrolled in less than a minimum full-time program of studies
or a former student-athlete may participate on a regular basis in organized practice sessions, provided the
following conditions are met:

So Kyrie is not allowed to practice since he is not eligible. Note: these are "official" practice sessions....there is nothing stopping him from watching, or from "happening" to run into the team and playing some impromptu pickup....so long as score is not kept...as nolan found out the hard way a few years ago

I realize this is all academic now since he is in the process of moving to Cleveland (and presumably making arrangements to finish up his coursework and get credit for this semester), but why wouldn't he count as a "former student-athlete"? Or is "former student-athlete" also covered by the clause affecting people with eligibility remaining--that you have to be enrolled in less than a full time program of studies, in which case Kyrie wouldn't qualify? It would seem pretty perverse if the only thing keeping him from practicing was not his professional status but the fact that he has been, this semester, a full-time student. I'm probably just not reading those rules right.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it would make sense for the coaches to let Kyrie join official practices, at least when they are scrimmaging, because he would take up minutes needed for the actual team members to get practice and instruction.

uh_no
12-01-2011, 09:33 AM
I realize this is all academic now since he is in the process of moving to Cleveland (and presumably making arrangements to finish up his coursework and get credit for this semester), but why wouldn't he count as a "former student-athlete"? Or is "former student-athlete" also covered by the clause affecting people with eligibility remaining--that you have to be enrolled in less than a full time program of studies, in which case Kyrie wouldn't qualify?.

He is a former student athlete, but he forewent his remaining eligibility. Since he has no remaining eligibility (since he is a professional) his status as a former student doesn't matter.

dcdevil2009
12-01-2011, 02:21 PM
He is a former student athlete, but he forewent his remaining eligibility. Since he has no remaining eligibility (since he is a professional) his status as a former student doesn't matter.

Correct. Essentially, Kyrie's status was the same as Enes Kanter's at Kentucky last year, although they took very different routes to becoming professionals and losing amateur eligibility . If the coaching staff and Kyrie wanted Kyrie to participate in practice, they would have to have added him to the coaching staff. Kentucky did it with Kanter, naming him an "undergraduate student-assistant coach," which allowed him to perform limited coaching duties. It seems like the there is a lot of latitude under this designation based this statement from Calipari after the NCAA's final ruling on Kanter's eligibility, "My job will be to prepare him for his entry into the NBA Draft, which this decision by the Association will likely necessitate."

superdave
12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
KyrieIrving Kyrie Irving
#toeaversary
40 minutes ago

El_Diablo
12-04-2011, 10:58 AM
From the man himself:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq3g8PnB5q7SRIFVDQZOn.zTjdIF?slug=mc-spears_kyrie_irving_120311

“There were definitely a couple points, but I never really regretted my decision,” Irving said. “I knew things would get better. It’s just about being patient. Honestly, any kid that left school early and loved it as much as I did and you see your teammates all the time and the coaching staff and they’re doing well, it’s going to bring up a whole ball of emotions like it did for me.
“There were bad times. But me being able to be the No. 1 pick, reach my dream and take care of my family is something I can live with for the rest of my life.”

mapei
12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Now that's extremely well put and nicely balanced. It's our loss much more than Kyrie's that he didn't stay.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Kyrie has been a wonderful representative of our program, and I am both happy and proud that he attended Duke.

He will always be a part of the family, and I wish him the best of luck in all future endeavors.

-bdbd
12-15-2011, 12:09 AM
From the man himself:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq3g8PnB5q7SRIFVDQZOn.zTjdIF?slug=mc-spears_kyrie_irving_120311
“There were definitely a couple points, but I never really regretted my decision,” Irving said. “I knew things would get better. It’s just about being patient. Honestly, any kid that left school early and loved it as much as I did and you see your teammates all the time and the coaching staff and they’re doing well, it’s going to bring up a whole ball of emotions like it did for me.
“There were bad times. But me being able to be the No. 1 pick, reach my dream and take care of my family is something I can live with for the rest of my life.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, things seem to be improving for Kyrie in Cleveland... The Cavs, according to SI, have just used their "amnesty" card to shed themselves of PG Baron Davis. While they still have to pay the man, it won't count against their salary cap. It also means that Kyrie should now be "the man" at PG in the rebuilding Cavalier franchise.

CLEVELAND (AP) -- When the Cavaliers selected point guard Kyrie Irving with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, veteran Baron Davis' future in Cleveland became uncertain.

On Wednesday, his short stay ended.

Using the NBA's new amnesty clause, the Cavs waived Davis, a move that knocks the $28 million he is owed over the next two seasons off the salary cap. The Cavs will have to pay Davis, but they'll have more flexibility going forward as they try to improve a team that won just 19 games last season....

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/12/14/cavs.baron.davis.ap/index.html#ixzz1gZnwlRWK

gep
12-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Good for Kyrie... I'll be watching Cleveland this year, for sure.

But, $28 million over 2 years for Davis... $14 million each year... that they pay but not count against the salary cap. Does Davis remain on the team during this 2 year period? Sounds like a "bad situation"... if so, almost "lame duck"?

MChambers
12-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Good for Kyrie... I'll be watching Cleveland this year, for sure.

But, $28 million over 2 years for Davis... $14 million each year... that they pay but not count against the salary cap. Does Davis remain on the team during this 2 year period? Sounds like a "bad situation"... if so, almost "lame duck"?
He's a free agent.

dcdevil2009
12-15-2011, 07:59 AM
He's a free agent.

Sort of, but not exactly. When a player is amnestied, teams put in bids with the league for him and he goes to the highest bidder. If a team picks him up, they pay the amount they bid and the team that waived him (in this case, the Cavs) pays the remainder. If no team puts in a bid, then Davis can go where he wants with that team paying him the league minimum. For example, if he was owed $15 million under his contract with the Cavs and the Bucks bid $2 million, while the Heat bid $1.5, he would go to Milwaukee. The Bucks would pay him $2 million (counting against their salary cap) and the Cavs would be responsible for the other $13 million.

Starter
12-15-2011, 08:28 AM
They're saying Baron has a herniated disk that's going to keep him out until March or so. Some question whether that's a relative ploy by his agent (that worked) to get him amnestied, but assuming it's true, it was a no-brainer amnesty. It might have been anyway. I'm just hopeful this is enough to keep the Knicks from picking him up to add to their collection of has-been and never-was guards, as they seemed destined to do. Anyway, I guess the job of mentoring Kyrie falls to Ramon Sessions; they'll probably need to pick up another guard. Hands off what's left of Mike Bibby, Cavs, he's taken! :rolleyes:

As a side note, anyone else here go to the game in Cameron back in 1998 against UCLA and Baron? It was pretty wild -- a good friend of mine cut a whole bunch of construction paper pot leaves in honor of an absent Jelani McCoy, and everyone waved car keys and huge cardboard cars at Baron for some shadiness where he ended up with a car that used to belong to Harrick or something. It was also Elton's first game back from the broken foot, and Duke absolutely ripped them apart. I loved that game.

Side note 2: I knew a guy at Duke who played high school ball in California, and guarded Baron a couple of times. Baron was an unbelievable high school player, and the guy I knew said he'd taken to actually playing his games with ankle weights to get some extra work in and because, well, he could.

Dev11
12-15-2011, 10:28 AM
the guy I knew said he'd taken to actually playing his games with ankle weights to get some extra work in and because, well, he could.

And then he would eat them to ensure that he had them forever.

UrinalCake
12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
As a side note, anyone else here go to the game in Cameron back in 1998 against UCLA and Baron?

I was at that game. The Blue Devil mascot took one of those cardboard cars and he "drove" it around during one of the timeouts, it was hilarious. Also entertaining to see all of the male Crazies stealing glances at the UCLA cheerleaders but trying to act like they weren't.

MChambers
12-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Sort of, but not exactly. When a player is amnestied, teams put in bids with the league for him and he goes to the highest bidder. If a team picks him up, they pay the amount they bid and the team that waived him (in this case, the Cavs) pays the remainder. If no team puts in a bid, then Davis can go where he wants with that team paying him the league minimum. For example, if he was owed $15 million under his contract with the Cavs and the Bucks bid $2 million, while the Heat bid $1.5, he would go to Milwaukee. The Bucks would pay him $2 million (counting against their salary cap) and the Cavs would be responsible for the other $13 million.
In any event, he won't be on the Cleveland roster.

delfrio
12-15-2011, 02:10 PM
I was at that game. The Blue Devil mascot took one of those cardboard cars and he "drove" it around during one of the timeouts, it was hilarious. Also entertaining to see all of the male Crazies stealing glances at the UCLA cheerleaders but trying to act like they weren't.

Didn't we get 120 (and win by 40) in that game?

UrinalCake
12-15-2011, 02:18 PM
WRT Davis, what happens if no team bids on him and then no one claims him off of waivers? Does he still get paid out the remainder of his contract by Cleveland? Because if that's the case then if I'm Baron Davis I'd find it pretty tempting to start pounding double cheeseburgers and spouting off racial slurs in hopes that no one picks me up. Then I'll collect my $28 million for doing absolutely nothing. It's unlikely he'd make much in the following contract, if any were even offered, so why not call it a career and go into early retirement?

UrinalCake
12-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Didn't we get 120 (and win by 40) in that game?

Yeah, 120-84 according to the box score I just looked up. Good times. It's a shame we don't still have that home-and-home series with UCLA. Would be nice to pick on Larry Drew and the Wear twins one last time 8-).

dcdevil2009
12-15-2011, 05:41 PM
WRT Davis, what happens if no team bids on him and then no one claims him off of waivers? Does he still get paid out the remainder of his contract by Cleveland? Because if that's the case then if I'm Baron Davis I'd find it pretty tempting to start pounding double cheeseburgers and spouting off racial slurs in hopes that no one picks me up. Then I'll collect my $28 million for doing absolutely nothing. It's unlikely he'd make much in the following contract, if any were even offered, so why not call it a career and go into early retirement?

He'll get paid the remainder of his contract no matter what. If no team bids on him, he becomes a free agent and can sign anywhere he wants for the league minimum. Say the minimum is $1 million per year, then Barron could go anywhere with that team paying him $1 million and Cleveland paying the rest of his salary. If no one bids on him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him wind up in LA (Lakers) or Miami, who both need PGs. Baron can be really good when he's motivated (see his time in LA when Blake Griffin was healthy or in Golden State the year they beat Dallas as an 8 seed), but when he hasn't had talent around him, he hasn't stayed in shape or put in much effort. It's frustrating because he could have been a great mentor to Kyrie in the right situation, but obviously Cleveland wasn't the right place for that to happen. A healthy and motivated Davis is arguable one of the top-10 PGs in the league and from everything I've heard, he can be a great teammate when he wants to be.

gep
12-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Does anyone know if Kyrie was able to complete the fall semester? Seems like he would have been close to finishing, at least... :confused:

Verga3
12-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Kyrie has been a wonderful representative of our program, and I am both happy and proud that he attended Duke.

He will always be a part of the family, and I wish him the best of luck in all future endeavors.

Well said...couldn't add a thing.

MCFinARL
12-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know if Kyrie was able to complete the fall semester? Seems like he would have been close to finishing, at least... :confused:

I don't actually know. But I have to think he either was able to complete it or has been able to arrange for incompletes so he can finish it up. Training camp didn't start until Dec. 9, which was already the last day of classes. So he would just need to work out an exam/paper schedule that would allow him to be in Cleveland during the exam period and still finish the work. Given his promise to finish school within 5 years, he presumably would be motivated not to waste the semester, and I would hope that professors would be accommodating. After all, it's not a situation that is likely to occur very often.

mpholt
12-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Saw that the Cleveland - Pistons exhibition is at 7:30 ET tonight. It's listed as being on NBA tv and a couple of other stations... anyone know for sure if and how we can see it in the RDU area?

ThePublisher
12-16-2011, 04:32 PM
On NBATV tonight!!!! Starting PG for the Cavs against the Pistons in NBA preseason. NBATV @ 7 I think. YEAAAA!!!!

sagegrouse
12-16-2011, 06:16 PM
On NBATV tonight!!!! Starting PG for the Cavs against the Pistons in NBA preseason. NBATV @ 7 I think. YEAAAA!!!!

Channel 216 on DirecTV

Duke76
12-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Kyrie,

Playing great, 1st half with 11 points 2 minutes to go in half
pushing the ball hard making great passes and taking his shot

gosh, I love our current team but we were cheated,

Duke76
12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
has 14 at half blowing by people.....book it, Rookie of the yr,
all-star if they have it.....well may be a little over the top
but it will be interesting to see what top guards can stay with him

sagegrouse
12-16-2011, 09:00 PM
has 14 at half blowing by people.....book it, Rookie of the yr,
all-star if they have it.....well may be a little over the top
but it will be interesting to see what top guards can stay with him

Two years ago this guy was in high school. How is it that he is starting to take over an NBA (preseason) game? Wow!

BTW Brandon Knight is lighting it up as well.

sagegrouse

BigZ
12-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Outside of Kyrie the Cavs are horrible.

Wander
12-16-2011, 09:11 PM
You know how everyone used to wonder what it would be like if a Kobe Bryant type played in college? We got to see it for one year with Kevin Durant at Texas, and I bet time will show us that we also saw it for 10 or so games with Kyrie.

_Gary
12-16-2011, 09:15 PM
You know how everyone used to wonder what it would be like if a Kobe Bryant type played in college? We got to see it for one year with Kevin Durant at Texas, and I bet time will show us that we also saw it for 10 or so games with Kyrie.

Absolutely. I believe there will be no question, in a very short amount of time, that Kyrie was the best PG to ever put on a Duke uniform. I'm obviously talking about what he's going to accomplish in the NBA, not what he did/didn't do in the short amount of time he was at Duke. But for pure skill and ability, I'm confident time will show he's the best we've ever had.

wgl1228
12-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Lance Thomas with 7 points 3 rebounds so far too. Hope he makes the team.

Oriole Way
12-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Absolutely. I believe there will be no question, in a very short amount of time, that Kyrie was the best PG to ever put on a Duke uniform. I'm obviously talking about what he's going to accomplish in the NBA, not what he did/didn't do in the short amount of time he was at Duke. But for pure skill and ability, I'm confident time will show he's the best we've ever had.

I just hope his toe holds up. If he stays healthy, I fully concur with your prediction.

The nature of his toe injury long-term is somewhat precarious based on what I have read, granted there hasn't been a ton of information about it recently. As of last year, I recall reading that the injury had a fairly high probability of re-occurring. Not sure what the prognosis is now, although I do know the extended layoff thanks to the lockout was a blessing in disguise for Kyrie.

I know logically and realistically history means nothing for Kyrie, but I'm creeped out by Duke's horrific luck with the NBA point guard prospects. Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams both almost died in crashes, and Avery came out too early. Johnny Dawkins was a combo guard, but his career was derailed by injuries as well. Hurley and Williams in particular I feel would have been perennial All-Stars in the league. It's a small sample size, but Kyrie having such a serious injury in his short career worries me in terms of some type of crazy "curse." Sort of like the Madden Curse - there's no seeming cause and effect, but it happens for some reason.

He looks simply awesome out there tonight. He's the best player on the floor, even though that's not saying a whole lot (given that the Pistons and Cavs are two of the worst teams in the NBA). He looks like the same dominant player he was at Duke for 11 games - aside from his 3-point shot (which will fall normally), he's shown great explosiveness, ball control, body control, shooting, and passing. He's going to be special. Just wish him nothing but the best in terms of his health.

UrinalCake
12-16-2011, 09:57 PM
...I'm creeped out by Duke's horrific luck with the NBA point guard prospects. Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams both almost died in crashes, and Avery came out too early. Johnny Dawkins was a combo guard, but his career was derailed by injuries as well.

Don't forget Scheyer's freak eye injury that derailed any hopes he had of making a roster. He's working his way back and hopefully he'll get another shot.

Duke76
12-16-2011, 10:28 PM
take it back...he got outplayed in 2nd half by Brandon Knight, was used by Brandon on drives,,,tried to take in the paint and got swatted away a number of times...this is not Kansas Kyrie...but ended up sinking 5 of 6 free throws to ice game,,,,had 21 points, 10 f 12 from line, 4 of 12 from field...good start.....lots to learn....hope his lateral quickness is still there

gwlaw99
12-17-2011, 04:27 PM
For a little perspective, John Wall went 3 for 13, 3 assists, 6 turnovers, no rebounds, and 2 for 2 from the line.

gep
12-18-2011, 02:31 AM
https://twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/148152987783659520

Saw this on a twitter feed. Hope the link works. What a great kid...