PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation on Kyle Hill injury

jimsumner
11-13-2011, 08:00 PM
No surprise. But still bad news.

From Duke press release.

"Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe announced on Sunday that starting offensive tackle Kyle Hill will miss the final two games of the 2011 campaign after suffering a season-ending shoulder injury yesterday against Virginia.

A redshirt senior from Orlando, Fla., Hill suffered an avulsion fracture of his right shoulder and Duke head team physician Dr. Tee Moorman will handle surgical duties on Monday.

One of four team captains, Hill started all 10 games this year and all 46 of Duke’s contests since the beginning of the 2008 campaign. A two-time Academic All-ACC selection, he ends his career having played over 3,300 snaps."

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2011, 08:04 PM
That's too bad. Best wishes for a full recovery. I have no idea what an avulsion fracture is, but it can't be any fun.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-13-2011, 08:05 PM
What a shame! Kyle has been such an important part of this ream.

devildeac
11-13-2011, 08:17 PM
That is indeed bad news. Unfortunately, I'll be expecting other unfavorable reports from the trainer's table and/or operating room as the week progresses, too:(:mad:.

Newton_14
11-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Very sad. Terrible way for a career to end. I wish Kyle a speedy recovery.

From the "Don't believe every source" Category: A very nice gentleman sitting behind me in the Duke Basketball game Saturday, was following the Football game listening to the Bob Harris call on the radio with ear buds. He was having a terrible time hearing due to the crowd noise at the hoops game. He was keeping those of us around him updated on how the guys were doing on the gridiron.

Somehow when the Kyle Hill injury happened, the gentleman relayed to us that "Conner Vernon fractured his shoulder and is out for the season". Not sure how he got crossed up, but I left the game fulling believing we had lost Conner for the year. On the ride home, I caught the post-game show from Bob Harris and learned that Conner's injury was bruised ribs and it was actually Kyle with the shoulder fracture.

Either way stinks, but it was odd that the names somehow got crossed up. Sounds like our kids took a beating physically up there Saturday...

mkline09
11-13-2011, 08:24 PM

From the "Don't believe every source" Category: A very nice gentleman sitting behind me in the Duke Basketball game Saturday, was following the Football game listening to the Bob Harris call on the radio with ear buds. He was having a terrible time hearing due to the crowd noise at the hoops game. He was keeping those of us around him updated on how the guys were doing on the gridiron.

Somehow when the Kyle Hill injury happened, the gentleman relayed to us that "Conner Vernon fractured his shoulder and is out for the season". Not sure how he got crossed up, but I left the game fulling believing we had lost Conner for the year. On the ride home, I caught the post-game show from Bob Harris and learned that Conner's injury was bruised ribs and it was actually Kyle with the shoulder fracture.

Either way stinks, but it was odd that the names somehow got crossed up. Sounds like our kids took a beating physically up there Saturday...

Agreed, awful way to end a career. I hate it for him. Great leader and disappointing I know for him not to be on the field to help the team.

OldPhiKap
11-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Hope it is not the end of his career at Duke, but he has been a warrior for us. Best of luck with the recovery and the future!

gam7
11-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Easy explanation. Tony LaRussa, not Bob Harris, was doing the play-by-play, and the gentleman sitting behind you was the St. Louis Cardinals bullpen coach.

Newton_14
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Easy explanation. Tony LaRussa, not Bob Harris, was doing the play-by-play, and the gentleman sitting behind you was the St. Louis Cardinals bullpen coach.

Haha. That was a good one gam7. Nicely played. Trident worthy!

Olympic Fan
11-13-2011, 11:35 PM

It was an easy mistake to make -- Conne Vernon was indeed hurt in the first half -- recovering a muffed punt by the Cavaliers. He was helped off the field, then had to leave for the locker room while the game was still going on for x-rays. It was later determined that Conner suffered bruised ribs and being the tough guy that he is, he returned in the second half to catch three passes -- one for about 50 yards and to return a punt 30-some yards.

As bad as the news is about Kyle -- so sad to see his career end like that after 46 straight starts -- it wasn't as bad as it might have been. Jordan deWalt-Ondijo, who was taken off th field on a stretcher after having his leg immobilized by an inflatable cast, did not suffer any bropken bones. Not saying he'll play this week, but as of this moment he hasn't been ruled out. Same question marks about Brandn Braxton, who was hurt early in the UVa game and didn't return. I have no idea what his status might be.

Our offensive line is a shambles now with Hill out. Moore (no clue if he returns this week after missing the UVa game) Harding and Cofield are all injuried to some degree. Plus, Kelby Brown is still a question mark after missing the UVa game. So is Justin Foxx.

When I think of all the guys who should have had at Virginia -- Josh Snead, Brian Moore, Kelby Brown, Lee Butler ... plus for significant portions of the game Conner Vernon, Brandon Braxton, Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Kyle Hill, well, it's amazing we were close. If Will Snyderwine was on form and Donovan Varner (who played a terrific game) could have held two surefire touchdown passes that were in his hands, Duke -- as banged up as they were -- could easily have won that game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-14-2011, 09:03 AM
It was an easy mistake to make -- Conne Vernon was indeed hurt in the first half -- recovering a muffed punt by the Cavaliers. He was helped off the field, then had to leave for the locker room while the game was still going on for x-rays. It was later determined that Conner suffered bruised ribs and being the tough guy that he is, he returned in the second half to catch three passes -- one for about 50 yards and to return a punt 30-some yards.

As bad as the news is about Kyle -- so sad to see his career end like that after 46 straight starts -- it wasn't as bad as it might have been. Jordan deWalt-Ondijo, who was taken off th field on a stretcher after having his leg immobilized by an inflatable cast, did not suffer any bropken bones. Not saying he'll play this week, but as of this moment he hasn't been ruled out. Same question marks about Brandn Braxton, who was hurt early in the UVa game and didn't return. I have no idea what his status might be.

Our offensive line is a shambles now with Hill out. Moore (no clue if he returns this week after missing the UVa game) Harding and Cofield are all injuried to some degree. Plus, Kelby Brown is still a question mark after missing the UVa game. So is Justin Foxx.

When I think of all the guys who should have had at Virginia -- Josh Snead, Brian Moore, Kelby Brown, Lee Butler ... plus for significant portions of the game Conner Vernon, Brandon Braxton, Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo and Kyle Hill, well, it's amazing we were close. If Will Snyderwine was on form and Donovan Varner (who played a terrific game) could have held two surefire touchdown passes that were in his hands, Duke -- as banged up as they were -- could easily have won that game.
Thank you for filling in some information. It's amazing and quite a relief that Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo doesn't have any broken bones. While the lack of execution played a big role in the loss, your summary regarding who's out with injuries highlights the significant role of injuries in the results on the field Saturday.

With so much happening that could have been very discouraging, our guys never gave up. Such tenacity is going to pay off.

devildeac
11-14-2011, 09:11 AM
It was not too difficult to get all of our injuries confused on Saturday as we had players hauled off the field repeatedly. And Bob Harris, bless his 400+ consecutive games announced streak heart, probably had as much, if not more trouble than the rest of us considering some of the sensationalisms he has announced over the years that have turned out to be not quite accurate. He and Johnny Moore, IIRC, were pretty adamant however about the "make-up" PI call that Londaon is apparently "protesting" to the acc office. Both agreed the uva DB (or LB) had Varner (or was is Braxton?) wrapped up with his L hand on his back or around his waist as he deflected the ball with his R hand. At one point, I guess we had 3 guys out with shoulder/arm/chest injuries, Vernon, Hill and Braxton. Sheesh. Glad to hear no fracture on deWalt-Ondijo.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-14-2011, 10:33 AM
It was not too difficult to get all of our injuries confused on Saturday as we had players hauled off the field repeatedly. And Bob Harris, bless his 400+ consecutive games announced streak heart, probably had as much, if not more trouble than the rest of us considering some of the sensationalisms he has announced over the years that have turned out to be not quite accurate. He and Johnny Moore, IIRC, were pretty adamant however about the "make-up" PI call that Londaon is apparently "protesting" to the acc office. Both agreed the uva DB (or LB) had Varner (or was is Braxton?) wrapped up with his L hand on his back or around his waist as he deflected the ball with his R hand. At one point, I guess we had 3 guys out with shoulder/arm/chest injuries, Vernon, Hill and Braxton. Sheesh. Glad to hear no fracture on deWalt-Ondijo.
Listening to the post game radio shows on the way home after going to the bball game, someone, on one of the shows and both 102.9 (the basketball broadcast post game) and 620 (the football game broadcast) were giving football summaries at one point, said that deWalt-Ondijo had a broken leg, so I'm glad that turned out to be wrong. I had the football game recorded on the DVR and watched the first half on Sunday. Yes, the pass interference call was a good one, IMHO. :cool: