PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 96, Presbyterian 55 Post-Game Thread

JBDuke
11-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

DukieInBrasil
11-12-2011, 06:42 PM
The take away from this game is that this team is capable of overpowering a lesser opponent. Not much else.
A few bright spots: Miles played really well, double-double; Ryan Kelly, leading scorer; Austin played really well, under control, 6/0 a/t; Quin Cook looks like he can be a legit contributor; Josh Hairston got into the game and put up some nice numbers.
As for the rest, at least no one got hurt in doing the things necessary to whoop up on a weaker team.

SCMatt33
11-12-2011, 06:42 PM
First Thought: Congrats Coach K!!!

Game Thoughts:

- We took care of business. They kept it close for ten minutes with some hot shooting but that went away quickly.
- This team got really emotional while burying a team like Presbyterian. That's a sign of guys not being there before, but also shows that they won't overlook people.
- Seth stayed hot from the outside, and started to mix it up
- Lots of back to the basket moves from the big guys in this game, and they made the shots they were supposed to make. That hasn't always happened before.

Big Picture Thoughts:

- Really none. I'll put a few things here, but it is not really a good idea to get too excited about good things against an over-matched opponent like Presbyterian. This was literally the lowest rated team that we play this year according to KenPom's preseason ratings. It's also not a good idea to get to down on any mistakes that occurred in a game that tipped only 17 hours after the last one ended.
- Mason and Miles had some good looking post moves in this game. It's good that they found some, but I'll wait until they do it against 6'10" and 6'11" guys instead of 6'7" and 6'8" guys. Also those moves took a long time to develop and more athletic teams might be willing to dig and rely on their athleticism to help them switch and rotate on a pass back out.
-This team is pretty hot shooting 3's, at almost 50% on the year. By the end, I'd expect that number to be between 39% and 41% if team dynamics don't drastically change.

EDIT: Last Thoughts:

-Why didn't Murphy play in a game like that. Did he do something? Is he hurt?
-I really like Mike Breen. He gets excited for big plays, but keeps it professional most of the time and doesn't get caught up in superlatives.

delfrio
11-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Nice overall effort. Good to see everyone playing hard even when up. The main negatives I saw were free-throw shooting and Andre still not turning it around offensively. It's going to be hard for Andre to get a lot of touches with this team I think, but hopefully he doesn't get discouraged.

Congrats Coach!

JohnGalt
11-12-2011, 06:52 PM

The announcers mentioned he was roughed up a bit in practice so he was given the evening off.

Austin really channeled his inner D-Wade with those "top-of-the-key-defender-split" moves...no?

superdave
11-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Duke's defense finally kicked in with about 12 minutes to go in the first half. They started staying on front of drives, limiting PC to one shot and and making them work harder for everything. The first 8 minutes were lackluster, but Duke picked it up and kept it going well into the second half. Everyone pitched in a little and we played efficiently. Now to kick thinks up a notch.

Saratoga2
11-12-2011, 07:18 PM
This game may also point out again how good Belmont really is.

Coach K was able to play a lot of guys and combinations without fear of losing. Quinn was able to show that he can make a contribution. Tyler and Andre were not so impressive.

Josh was a positive force in the game and brings a lot of energy.

I, like others, wonder about Alex. The explanation that he was roughed up is hopefully the correct one.

The schedule takes us into deeper water with Michigan St. on Tuesday. That game should really test us. I look forward to seeing us perform at a new higher level in that game.

diveonthefloor
11-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Talking about this with my son....

With the exception of free throw shooting, EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of Mason's game has taken a huge stride forward over last year. His decision making, to me, is the most impressive thing. It's almost like he's seeing things happen in slow motion.

Nice that the all the Frosh who played saw some shots fall today.

Duvall
11-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Mild concussion (https://twitter.com/#!/KevinMcNamara33/status/135201136171941888).

westwall
11-12-2011, 07:26 PM
I did not see or hear the game, but the boxscore I see indicates that Miles and Mason combined for 2 for 11 on foul shots. Is that accurate?? And the other players were 16 for 20??

superdave
11-12-2011, 07:59 PM
I did not see or hear the game, but the boxscore I see indicates that Miles and Mason combined for 2 for 11 on foul shots. Is that accurate?? And the other players were 16 for 20??

Yep, I'm afraid so. We may have to bring in a new big man coach to correct this!

I suspect Mason will average 6-7 FTAs per game, so this needs to improve.......

CDu
11-12-2011, 08:05 PM

That sounds about right. The Plumlees were terrible from the line. Their misses weren't even close misses. It was the only negative from an otherwise completely fun game.

I agree with those who said there's not much to analyze from this game. We were so superior talent-wise. Just fun to watch the team dominate and have a good time.

Regarding Murphy's concussion - probably not the best idea to have him sitting next to Marshall Plumlee, who was screaming and flailing around at nearly every moment on the bench. Despite the not playing, Marshall seems to be enjoying his time so far this year - a lot.

A thoroughly enjoyable win. I'm feeling spoiled getting to watch two games on back-to-back nights. Tuesday will be much a tougher test.

Congrats to Coach K and the team for win #902.

Newton_14
11-12-2011, 09:10 PM
That sounds about right. The Plumlees were terrible from the line. Their misses weren't even close misses. It was the only negative from an otherwise completely fun game.

I agree with those who said there's not much to analyze from this game. We were so superior talent-wise. Just fun to watch the team dominate and have a good time.

Regarding Murphy's concussion - probably not the best idea to have him sitting next to Marshall Plumlee, who was screaming and flailing around at nearly every moment on the bench. Despite the not playing, Marshall seems to be enjoying his time so far this year - a lot.

A thoroughly enjoyable win. I'm feeling spoiled getting to watch two games on back-to-back nights. Tuesday will be much a tougher test.

Congrats to Coach K and the team for win #902.

Sorry, CDu, and don't mean to pick on you, but this one of the many times where I hate it when people lump Miles and Mason together. Miles has a much better free throw stroke than Mason, and his misses today were not in the "not even close" category imo. His first miss was short, and his other 2 misses were just a tad long.

It is very fair to put Mason's misses today in that category. Almost all of Mason's misses today were flat and woefully short, until his last miss, in which he over corrected and was way long. I thought Mason showed fatigue at the line today, which could be contributed to the quick turn around. I hope that was the main thing. His stroke looked much better in the Belmont game.

Free throws not withstanding, overall I am estatic with the play on both ends from all 3 of our main rotation bigs, and Hairston. They are off to a great start. The staff is sticking with the committment to feed the post, and the big fella's are delivering with really nice finishes. I love the little baby hooks from Mason and Miles with either hand, and Kelly's great footwork on up and under moves. All 3 have shown nice power moves to finish as well. Josh is deadly with his mid-range jumper, and the MP's have knocked down several as well.

I do hope the free throw situation will improve, but I couldn't be much happier with the play of our bigs to date.

CDu
11-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Sorry, CDu, and don't mean to pick on you, but this one of the many times where I hate it when people lump Miles and Mason together. Miles has a much better free throw stroke than Mason, and his misses today were not in the "not even close" category imo. His first miss was short, and his other 2 misses were just a tad long.

Mason's free throw misses were indeed much worse. But I didn't remember Miles's misses being particularly close. No disagreement that Miles's free shooting stroke looks better than than Mason's (which has no arc). But I didn't feel that his were particularly close misses. This may be a semantics issue on what we think isn't very close. Regardless, free throw shooting is definitely something to keep an eye on with the Plumlees - especially Mason. I think he's going to get fouled a lot this year. He needs to make more of them than he has typically made.

Mason has looked much more confident with the ball in the last two games compared with last year. Granted, today was against vastly inferior competition, but he generally made good decisions and showed a couple of post moves. They weren't the flashiest of moves (for such a good leaper he's amazingly methodical and "unquick"), but they were better than he's generally shown. And Miles has seemed fairly fluid and confident for the most part as well (early jump hook today notwithstanding).

Both players have looked more aggressive this year. Mason has continued the improvement in foul rate that he showed last year, and Miles seems to be doing a bit better at it too. Hopefully the good play continues next week and beyond. We'll face a MUCH stiffer test inside against the Spartans.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2011, 11:07 PM
This game may also point out again how good Belmont really is.

This deserves to be re-stated (along with the rest of Saratoga's good post)

juise
11-13-2011, 02:19 AM
I know that this game isn't one that tell us much about individual players' abilities, but I saw one stat line that I think is useful. Austin had 6 assists and zero turnovers, which is an answer to the complaints of some posters after the Belmont game. The zero turnovers is arguably a result of less competent defenders, but the assists (a team high) were the product of a conscious effort to find his teammates in position to score. I think that's a great sign for Austin's development and could be a good omen for the team (though I expect peaks and valleys, as all freshmen have).

patentgeek
11-13-2011, 06:50 AM
I know that this game isn't one that tell us much about individual players' abilities, but I saw one stat line that I think is useful. Austin had 6 assists and zero turnovers, which is an answer to the complaints of some posters after the Belmont game. The zero turnovers is arguably a result of less competent defenders, but the assists (a team high) were the product of a conscious effort to find his teammates in position to score. I think that's a great sign for Austin's development and could be a good omen for the team (though I expect peaks and valleys, as all freshmen have).

To amplify on this point, Coach K pointed out that Rivers 6 assists led to 16 points (i.e., four of those assists led to 3-pointers). I think this is an excellent sign, as it indicates he was driving and kicking the ball out, something we haven't really seen hmi do much of yet. If he can become a triple threat (shooot, dump off to a big guy, or kick out to a 3-pointer shooter), he will become an absolute nightmare for other teams to try to defend, because he's quick enough to get into the lane at will.

Billy Dat
11-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Free throws not withstanding, overall I am estatic with the play on both ends from all 3 of our main rotation bigs, and Hairston. They are off to a great start. The staff is sticking with the committment to feed the post, and the big fella's are delivering with really nice finishes. I love the little baby hooks from Mason and Miles with either hand, and Kelly's great footwork on up and under moves. All 3 have shown nice power moves to finish as well. Josh is deadly with his mid-range jumper, and the MP's have knocked down several as well. I do hope the free throw situation will improve, but I couldn't be much happier with the play of our bigs to date.

Regardless, free throw shooting is definitely something to keep an eye on with the Plumlees - especially Mason. I think he's going to get fouled a lot this year. He needs to make more of them than he has typically made. Hopefully the good play continues next week and beyond. We'll face a MUCH stiffer test inside against the Spartans.

You guys nailed, for me, the first big take away...I am getting warily excited that this will be the first year in many that our bigs are not an offensive afterthought. You can tell the coaches are pushing them, especially Mason, to demand the ball, have a plan once the get it, and to hunt their shots. MSU is about as good a test for a frontline any year because you know they are going to try and get every rebound and you are going to get cleanly bullied. Mason and Ryan are definitely finesse guys so let's see how they respond. Mason's reverse jam has become a signature move.

Austin had 6 assists and zero turnovers, which is an answer to the complaints of some posters after the Belmont game. The zero turnovers is arguably a result of less competent defenders, but the assists (a team high) were the product of a conscious effort to find his teammates in position to score. I think that's a great sign for Austin's development and could be a good omen for the team (though I expect peaks and valleys, as all freshmen have).

Along with the seeming "presence" of the bigs, the early play of Rivers is another one I am trying hard not to over-celebrate, but I am having a hard time containing myself. Aside from his skills, he just seems to really take coaching as juise noted in his increased number of drive and kicks in the second game. MSU will be a huge test for him, too, big TV game, MSG, marquee opponent...let's see if he can keep his emotions and his game dialed in/focused. Kyrie aside, we haven't had a guy with this kind of break-down skills since J Willy.

Curry had a solid game, and nice bench minutes and production from Cook.

Congrats to Coach...after his immediate post game interview with Doris Burke, the camera followed him through a phalanx of press which parted to reveal the team waiting to congratulate him. They huddled up around him and he gave them a few words and they wore ecstatic smiles...it gave me some goosebumps.

DUKIE V(A)
11-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Prediction: Quinn Cook will be an all-time Duke favorite when all is said and done. Love his game, his passion, and his attitude.

basket1544
11-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Not taking away from Quinn, but for enthusiasm my vote for fan favorite is Marshall.

devilish
11-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Minor quibble...DBR recap calls Presbyterian the Cougars. They are the Blue Hose.

Steven43
11-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Yep, I'm afraid so. We may have to bring in a new big man coach to correct this!

I suspect Mason will average 6-7 FTAs per game, so this needs to improve.......

Nice to see the sarcastic remarks so many posters make about the possibility of bringing in a new big man coach are alive and well. It never gets old, does it?

Kedsy
11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Nice to see the sarcastic remarks so many posters make about the possibility of bringing in a new big man coach are alive and well. It never gets old, does it?

Certainly not as old as posters bringing it up seriously (as I believe you did just the other day).

(I apologize in advance if I'm remembering incorrectly)

3rd Dukie
11-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Prediction: Quinn Cook will be an all-time Duke favorite when all is said and done. Love his game, his passion, and his attitude.

This was my first time seeing Cook play. I agree with you completely. I was really impressed with his toughness.
May he become Chapel Hill's worst nightmare.

gam7
11-13-2011, 11:22 AM
I think we have seen a lot to be excited about in these first two games. A few observations:

1. Obviously Belmont was close but our problems there are absolutely correctible. I think Coach K's comment that the team got "giddy" once it was up 16 was spot on. It takes time to develop the killer instinct, but it will happen with this group I think. Also, I think the instances of Rivers forcing it in that game will stick out like a sore thumb when they review film.

2. One Rivers play I liked in the Presbyterian game was when Rivers and Mason were alone on a breakaway off of a Seth steal and pass and Rivers easily could have finished with a dunk, but he dropped it off to Mason to finish it. It was nice to see that unselfishness.

3. Looking ahead a couple of years: besides Rivers and Mason, the roster is shaping up to be stacked with very high-quality four-year players (I consider Parker and Sulaimon to be potential four-year guys as well). Given our elite recruiting targets in the high school classes of '12-'14, we could be looking at another incredible run of Duke basketball over the next 5-6 years.

slower
11-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Not taking away from Quinn, but for enthusiasm my vote for fan favorite is Marshall.

I agree that Marshall currently leads the team in unbridled enthusiasm. Having said that, it's also apparent that this WILL be Quinn's team to lead at some point. You can just see it in his demeanor. Both will be huge fan favorites.

Steven43
11-13-2011, 12:19 PM
All I was trying to say is that anytime anyone deigns to question a decision made by Coach K (such as the decision to hire Wojo as the big man coach) there are certain posters who immediately jump on that person as if his opinion can't possibly have any merit. I just think that kind of blind worship is unhealthy.

wilko
11-13-2011, 12:51 PM
We got a bunch of "woe is" us comments after the Belmont game... and then we beat Presbyterian (doing what we were supposed to do) and now we are picking on a lesser team... gee whiz talk about hard to please.

I loved that MP2 is developing confidence as a stone cold killer on O. Confidence is growing by the minute. MP1 is acting like he knows the words to the songs, but he is sing to a version slightly out of synch to what hes used to...

Liked seeing Cook get some burn. Looked productive. As did Silent G. in spots.

Overall I'm encouraged.

AZLA
11-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Welcome to Snarkyville -- Population 2 :)

In terms of big man play -- when Mason gets the ball at the top of the key and the defense plays off, I would like to see him take an angle and drive, possibly pick up more fouls.

This will be especially helpful against premiere size like UNC.

Of course, making the open jumper is nice too.

Mason usually starts to drive the lane but then digresses to a default move where he spins upon anticipating contact even against smaller defenders.

Why? He's got the advantage and he's a mere few feet away from the rim.

I think he could benefit greatly by watching some lots of film of Laettner believe it or not.

Mason should always be initiating contact and moving toward the hoop (or the layup lanes) never spinning and jumping away from the hoop and passing out of a fake shot / jump.

Other than that the Plumlees obviously have been coached hard, well, and have been really working on some nice hook shots.

Miles' Tim Duncan-esque step through, face-up, off the glass bank shot was a thing of pure beauty.

That classic move is underrated, but even more importantly, the Plumlees play great when they are smooth and not in hyperdrive trying to do too much.

ChillinDuke
11-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Somewhere in the second half, did anyone else think we were playing really fast? I mean fast in a good way. Our execution and decision-making seemed to ratchet up, especially compared to more deliberate, calculated plays in the preseason and against Belmont. It seemed to me that we kicked into another gear. The game was out of hand at this point, but it was nice to see the entire team (as we were well into our bench at this point) executing at that level. We almost looked more comfortable playing with increased speed (Rivers and Cook especially seem well suited to this role).

I figure we may not see this consistently since it's still early in the year. But very promising to see a flash like that this early.

- Chillin

OZZIE4DUKE
11-13-2011, 01:39 PM
My, my, my. The more things change, the more they stay the same. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, a poster named Troatybeard wrote a treatise because every season the DBR would attract new posters who would bring up the same topics, "new to them", but the "same old, same old" to the veterans. The players' names would change, but the generalities would be the same. He called this manifesto the "Handy Pocket Reference" and within it, he gave each subject a number and letter, starting with Koaching Koncerns 1)a). The Owners of the DBR thought so highly of this masterpiece that they permanently linked it to the top of the EK main board and call it required reading for all (new) posters. For those who need a refresher course, I will conveniently link it here for you http://www.duke.edu/~bct1/images/DBRHPR7.1asPDF.pdf
I personally became enamored with 9)f) :cool:
As to complaining about the "big man coach", many veteran posters now do it tongue in cheek, because of 1)f) So "lighten up, Francis!" :eek:

MChambers
11-13-2011, 02:01 PM
All I was trying to say is that anytime anyone deigns to question a decision made by Coach K (such as the decision to hire Wojo as the big man coach) there are certain posters who immediately jump on that person as if his opinion can't possibly have any merit. I just think that kind of blind worship is unhealthy.
First, that issue has been debated to death. Second, the argument that 6 foot tall former point guard can't be a big man coach is just silly.

Second, most of us who have followed Duke basketball for years have learned that we question Coach K at our peril , because he's usually right. For me, the amazing coaching jobs he did with the 2009-2010 team and with the Olympic team pretty well ended my willingness to disagree with him.

DukieTiger
11-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Somewhere in the second half, did anyone else think we were playing really fast? I mean fast in a good way. Our execution and decision-making seemed to ratchet up, especially compared to more deliberate, calculated plays in the preseason and against Belmont. It seemed to me that we kicked into another gear. The game was out of hand at this point, but it was nice to see the entire team (as we were well into our bench at this point) executing at that level. We almost looked more comfortable playing with increased speed (Rivers and Cook especially seem well suited to this role).

I figure we may not see this consistently since it's still early in the year. But very promising to see a flash like that this early.

- Chillin

Absolutely agree- it looked like something clicked and the guys just all of a sudden started playing and not thinking or trying to force the issue. There was a tangible difference in confidence, comfort playing together and teamwork- imho. It might not be present when we play MSU, but it's good to see the signs there of what we can grow into.

Also, am I alone in thinking that the Coleman kid was the PERFECT prep for Draymond Green? I think Green is going to give our guys some trouble, but Coleman is a similar player to my eyes so that should be helpful.

uh_no
11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Second, most of us who have followed Duke basketball for years have learned that we question Coach K at our peril , because he's usually right.

I would like to point out that one person being right and another's ability to disagree with him are not mutually exclusive. If that were true, then every coach would coach like coach K does.

I think the best example of this is coach's adherence to man to man defense. He's one 902 games playing man. Does that mean someone would be wrong if they said we should play zone in a certain instance? What if Jim Boeheim came here and said that duke should play zone in a certain instance? Jim has won 856 games, and would staunchly disagree with coach K's insistence on playing man.

Is coach K right to play man? it would seem so. Is Jim out of line to disagree with him? of course not. That's why I think shooting down arguments because "coach K said this and he is always right" is silly. In the end there are multiple ways to skin a cat.

Now, some can argue (and have) that an actual big man might be able to coach big men better. It may be true that an actual big man may be able to relate certain things to the players that coach wojo may not. This may be true, but perhaps wojo can coach big men to play in duke's offense better than some random big guy could. Is it possible that if the big man coach were different we might see a different kind of play? maybe, there's no way to know, really. But would that different, perhaps "more impressive" play be at the detriment to the team as a whole? Maybe.

Anyway, I think disagreement with coach K is fine, so long as you can back up your opinion and be able to defend yourself against criticism civilly. If it were impossible to disagree with coach K, then every great coach would have coached the same way.

Devilsfan
11-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Does anyone else think our bigs dribble too much. Seems like as soon as they touch the ball they want to put it on the ground. At one point I thought McRobb was back. Just wondering. Sometimes I thought they seemed to think they were guards.

uh_no
11-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Does anyone else think our bigs dribble too much. Seems like as soon as they touch the ball they want to put it on the ground. At one point I thought McRobb was back. Just wondering. Sometimes I thought they seemed to think they were guards.

Yeah, maybe if we didn't have a PG coaching our big men... :P

Bob Green
11-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Also, am I alone in thinking that the Coleman kid was the PERFECT prep for Draymond Green? I think Green is going to give our guys some trouble, but Coleman is a similar player to my eyes so that should be helpful.

This is a sound observation. Draymond Green is a talented inside player so I agree our guys probably benefit from the match-up will Coleman.

stillcrazie
11-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Absolutely agree- it looked like something clicked and the guys just all of a sudden started playing and not thinking or trying to force the issue. There was a tangible difference in confidence, comfort playing together and teamwork- imho. It might not be present when we play MSU, but it's good to see the signs there of what we can grow into.

My only hesitation is that Coleman's coach said he was playing at 50-60%, presumably due to some injury.

MChambers
11-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I would like to point out that one person being right and another's ability to disagree with him are not mutually exclusive. If that were true, then every coach would coach like coach K does.

Anyway, I think disagreement with coach K is fine, so long as you can back up your opinion and be able to defend yourself against criticism civilly. If it were impossible to disagree with coach K, then every great coach would have coached the same way.
I wasn't trying to say otherwise, but if you're going to disagree, you need to have thought thru your argument carefully.

uh_no
11-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I wasn't trying to say otherwise, but if you're going to disagree, you need to have thought thru your argument carefully.

I think that should be true of any argument you make, regardless of if it contradicts coach K or not.

diveonthefloor
11-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Welcome to Snarkyville -- Population 2 :)

In terms of big man play -- when Mason gets the ball at the top of the key and the defense plays off, I would like to see him take an angle and drive, possibly pick up more fouls.

This will be especially helpful against premiere size like UNC.

Of course, making the open jumper is nice too.

Mason usually starts to drive the lane but then digresses to a default move where he spins upon anticipating contact even against smaller defenders.

Why? He's got the advantage and he's a mere few feet away from the rim.

I think he could benefit greatly by watching some lots of film of Laettner believe it or not.

Mason should always be initiating contact and moving toward the hoop (or the layup lanes) never spinning and jumping away from the hoop and passing out of a fake shot / jump.

Other than that the Plumlees obviously have been coached hard, well, and have been really working on some nice hook shots.

Miles' Tim Duncan-esque step through, face-up, off the glass bank shot was a thing of pure beauty.

That classic move is underrated, but even more importantly, the Plumlees play great when they are smooth and not in hyperdrive trying to do too much.

This will make much more sense when (if?) Mason improves his free throw percentage.

MChambers
11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I think that should be true of any argument you make, regardless of if it contradicts coach K or not.
Of course it should, but that is not usually the case on sports matters, even at a forum as good as this one.

flyingdutchdevil
11-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Mason looks like a completely different person this year. Aggressive, smart, and now has a few moves under his belt.

But can someone please create a free throw program for Mason (and possibly his older brother as well)? Terrible may be an understatement in describing his percentage...

roywhite
11-13-2011, 06:19 PM
To the topic of free throw shooting, I've heard Coach K previously comment on free throw shooting as being very challenging in the early games.

The concept is that it is hard to simulate the stress and exertion of actual game situations when trying to practice free throws.
The player needs to shoot a number of free throws in actual game situations in order to adjust breathing and form.

That said, it helps to have a reliable routine and repeatable stroke.
Mason doesn't seem to have it at this point. It may get better.

uh_no
11-13-2011, 06:32 PM
To the topic of free throw shooting, I've heard Coach K previously comment on free throw shooting as being very challenging in the early games.

The concept is that it is hard to simulate the stress and exertion of actual game situations when trying to practice free throws.
The player needs to shoot a number of free throws in actual game situations in order to adjust breathing and form.

Maybe he should face away from the hoop and throw it backwards over his head. It seems to be his go to dunking move, maybe we can extrapolate this to free throws!

jimsumner
11-13-2011, 06:35 PM

I think Mason's problem is that he does have a reliable routine and a repeatable stroke. He was 44.1% last year, so this is not an early-season wobble.

The brothers Plumlee are a combined 3-14 from the line this season. The rest of the team is 35-43.

It's not practice, it's not technique. It's confidence. Neither has it. The way to get it, is to step up and make some of those suckers. Which, they can't do without confidence.

Catch-22.

wilko
11-13-2011, 07:07 PM
It's not practice, it's not technique. It's confidence. Neither has it. The way to get it, is to step up and make some of those suckers. Which, they can't do without confidence. Catch-22.

OK do like Laettner did.... get PO'ed and then just dont miss anymore.
Its about the fear of missing. Force it out of your mind and just make the dang shot..

jimsumner
11-13-2011, 07:38 PM
OK do like Laettner did.... get PO'ed and then just dont miss anymore.
Its about the fear of missing. Force it out of your mind and just make the dang shot..

Chris Burgess could bury them in practice. Just knock them down, one after another, after another.

Put him at the line in a game and it was like he was handling snakes. Worst body language I've ever seen. You could tell he wanted to be anywhere else on earth but at that foul line.

Redick was the polar opposite. He just strutted to the line. His attitude was "sucker. You just gave me two points. A gift."

Acymetric
11-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Chris Burgess could bury them in practice. Just knock them down, one after another, after another.

Put him at the line in a game and it was like he was handling snakes. Worst body language I've ever seen. You could tell he wanted to be anywhere else on earth but at that foul line.

Redick was the polar opposite. He just strutted to the line. His attitude was "sucker. You just gave me two points. A gift."

Seemed like that was his attitude whenever a team let him get off a jump shot too...except change two to three, of course ;).

ETA: Oh, and thank you for the putting the [hilarious to me] image of a player waiting at the free throw line for the ball and instead receiving snakes.

roywhite
11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Related to both this thread and the Belmont thread, I really enjoyed the excellent broadcasting job by Mike Breen and Doris Burke (with Jimmy Dykes chipping in vs Presbyterian).

Breen is a terrific play-by-play guy, one of the best in the business; I guess the NBA strike/lock-out has some benefit for us when he is free to do college games.
I was not a Doris Burke fan initially (wouldn't call her voice the most soothing) but she is a good analyst; makes insightful comments about both personnel and X-and-O stuff.

Just guessing, but I think that Breen may have found time during the weekend to chat with Dell Curry, Seth Curry, Doc Rivers, and Doug Collins, among others.