PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Presbyterian Pregame and In Game Thread

airowe
11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Ray Horn looked at what video he could find about Presbyterian and has a few interesting tidbits about their team.

Close game last night as expected. That Belmont team is a lot better than people were giving them credit for. This game should more resemble a true warmup game for Duke.

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/11/12/game-preview-duke-vs-presbyterian-11-12-11/

feldspar
11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
PC finished 8th in the Big South last year, and returns junior Khalid Mutakabbir, who led the Blue Hose in scoring last year with 13.5 a game, and senior forward Al'Lonzo Coleman, who finished just behind with 13.3 a game and added 7.6 rebounds per.

Honestly, I was going to do a little more research on this team, but there's just not much to see here. They finished 263rd in the Pomeroy rankings last year and they're coming off a 103-73 win over Montreat in their opening game. This is a team whose signature win last year was a 2-point squeaker over Wake Forest.

Even with the short turnaround, I think we probably win by 15-20 at least. Mutakabbir and Coleman have the potential to drop some points on us, but they don't have much firepower other than that.

Bob Green
11-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Does Tyler Thornton move into the starting line-up today? I believe he earned it with his performance last night.

diesel
11-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Coach K could try throwing out of the stadium any Blue Hose supporter who dares criticize our team.

Wait: that's been done in the ACC before. How did that work out for the coach concerned?;)

t_hester31
11-12-2011, 10:46 AM
First time poster here, although I have lurked for a few months. Anyways, I'm heading to Durham for my first game at Cameron today and was wondering if any of you had suggestions on where to park for the game. I don't really know anything about the parking situation there, so any advice would be great!

DuKe4LiFe#30
11-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Duke 87
Bad Guys 61

mkline09
11-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Does Tyler Thornton move into the starting line-up today? I believe he earned it with his performance last night.

I concur. I noted on the MOTM thread that his play was outstanding. Duke just played better on both offense and defense last night when he was in the game. I love his game. He isn't a blow you away guy but he does so many little things well.

Troublemaker
11-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Want to see Mason do it two in a row, Miles bounce back from a shaky game, and the bench perform well because they're going to get a lot of minutes in this one.

CLW
11-12-2011, 11:37 AM

I agree 100%. Tyler appears to be our only guard (at this point) that applies pretty decent on the ball pressure.

PG - Thornton
SG - Curry
SF - Rivers
PF - Kelly
C - MP2

ChillinDuke
11-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree 100%. Tyler appears to be our only guard (at this point) that applies pretty decent on the ball pressure.

PG - Thornton
SG - Curry
SF - Rivers
PF - Kelly
C - MP2

Start Dawkins and MP1 and come out guns blazing with our more athletic lineup against an overmatched team. I would use Thornton and Kelly off the bench to switch up the style of the game.

I respectfully disagree re Thornton's defense. He is disruptive, annoying, and opportunistic (which I love), but guys get past him fairly consistently which is how I judge on-ball defense.

I do agree that Tyler needs to see significant minutes, just wouldn't start him yet. Also, Andre's height is nice.

- Chillin

J4Kop99
11-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I think we should go with the same line up from last night. I think we can all agree that Presbyterian is a much less talented team and hopefully guys like Dawkins and MP1 can get going in a game like this.

I'll also be closely watching Austin to see if he starts to force a lot today because he knows that he is playing a lesser opponent. I really liked how he played within himself last night and hope he keeps that going.

Gotta hope Curry gets going from inside the arc. He should.

Mason should have another good game. Don't try to do too much and continue to rebound. Mason continued to stay aggressive in the 2nd half but at times he became too aggressive and that is a balance that he will take some time to figure out.

Should be fun to watch. Go Duke!

jipops
11-12-2011, 12:43 PM

PG - Thornton
SG - Curry
SF - Rivers
PF - Kelly
C - MP2

After one regular season game you have concluded this? I actually thought Austin did a great job with ball pressure last night.

davekay1971
11-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Coach K could try throwing out of the stadium any Blue Hose supporter who dares criticize our team.

Wait: that's been done in the ACC before. How did that work out for the coach concerned?;)

Worked out fine as far as I can tell. IIRC the coach was immediately surrounded in the loving arms of the UNC Department of Propaganda, the fan in question was accused of being drunk and disorderly, and the coach is currently enjoying the full and complete support of the UNC fans while leading the number 1 team in the nation. Of course, the UNC fans have recently showed that it takes a heck of a lot more than being a thin skinned jerk to lose their support...as long as you're winning.

As for our game, mainly I'm looking to see how our team handles the psychological challenge of a quick turnaround against a significant underdog after a very close, tightly fought game less than 24 hours ago. Will they be able to come out with focus and energy and play at a high level? Coach K will demand it of them. Today will be a test of maturity and desire. I can't wait to see how the guys respond.

DukeBlueHeart4
11-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Is there anywhere to watch this game online today? I just checked espn3.com and it's not there unfortunately.

Acymetric
11-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Is there anywhere to watch this game online today? I just checked espn3.com and it's not there unfortunately.

You sure? Its on ESPNU, I thought all games on the ESPN family were carried on espn3.

DukeBlueHeart4
11-12-2011, 01:11 PM
You sure? Its on ESPNU, I thought all games on the ESPN family were carried on espn3.

I triple checked. lol The only basketball game showing this afternoon is East Tennessee State vs. Virginia Tech at 2.

DukeGirl4ever
11-12-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm not ready to throw Tyler in the starting line-up, although I thought he was brilliant last night. I like having that little spark plug come off the bench with his energy. It throws the opposing team off of its established rhythm.

As for the poster that asked about Duke being on ESPN3.com - it is...you just have to change the tab where it says NETWORK - it gives you a drag down list of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN3. You have to click ESPNU and it shows up there.

Hopefully this link helps:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/#type/upcoming/category/BK/channel/espnu/

DukeGirl4ever
11-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm not ready to throw Tyler in the starting line-up, although I thought he was brilliant last night. I like having that little spark plug come off the bench with his energy. It throws the opposing team off of its established rhythm.

As for the poster that asked about Duke being on ESPN3.com - it is...you just have to change the tab where it says NETWORK - it gives you a drag down list of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN3. You have to click ESPNU and it shows up there.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/source/espn3/#type/upcoming/category/BK/channel/espnu/

Ok, when you click on that link, it still only shows the VT game....but it should be pretty obvious where you click since there are two drag down boxes. Click NETWORK, and you can even select ALL NETWORKS and it will come up there!

DukeBlueHeart4
11-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Thanks so much! :D

Jim3k
11-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I just noticed that ESPNU, in my area, now has an HD channel. Way better. (Astound Broadband for me; I suspect that the larger cable companies also have it, now.)

Bluedog
11-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Ok, when you click on that link, it still only shows the VT game....but it should be pretty obvious where you click since there are two drag down boxes. Click NETWORK, and you can even select ALL NETWORKS and it will come up there!

Thanks so much! :D

While it shows up on that list, technically the game today is on WatchESPN, and NOT espn3. There is a distinction. WatchESPN is only accessible to users that have Verizon FIOS, Time Warner, or Bright House Networks. If you have one of those three, you're in luck. Otherwise, ESPNU is the only way to watch it. A lot more providers subscribe to ESPN3 than just those three, but unfortunately this game isn't on ESPN3 (even though it's accessible through the same site).

stillcrazie
11-12-2011, 03:01 PM
I get ESPN3 from Time Warner, but this game is on ESPNU, so I won't get it. I am planning on watching it on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeAthletics

Anyone with a facebook account can just "like" this page and watch. I haven't tried it yet, but that's the word.

Bluedog
11-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I get ESPN3 from Time Warner, but this game is on ESPNU, so I won't get it. I am planning on watching it on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DukeAthletics

Anyone with a facebook account can just "like" this page and watch. I haven't tried it yet, but that's the word.

Based on the description of "Listen live", it looks like that's just going to be audio. Also says "live audio of men's and women's basketball, football..." and "select live video of WBB, SOC, VB, LAX, and BASE." I hope I'm wrong though and that it's actually streaming video...

stillcrazie
11-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Based on the description of "Listen live", it looks like that's just going to be audio. Also says "live audio of men's and women's basketball, football..." and "select live video of WBB, SOC, VB, LAX, and BASE." I hope I'm wrong though and that it's actually streaming video...

You may be right, but I was going to airowe's post:

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/11/10/duke-presbyterian-game-will-be-streamed-live-via-facebook/

riverside6
11-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Surprised, but Duke goes with the same lineup as last night, here are the live tempo-based stats for the Presbyterian game...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10342

Thought we'd see Thornton in there today.

Kedsy
11-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Surprised, but Duke goes with the same lineup as last night, here are the live tempo-based stats for the Presbyterian game...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10342

Thought we'd see Thornton in there today.

Personally, I don't think Tyler would be as effective if he had to carry the starter's mantle. I think he's best suited to give the team a quick spark and play in 5 or 10 minute bursts.

J4Kop99
11-12-2011, 04:32 PM
That was an awesome video about coach K that was just played before the game. Somebody better put that on youtube.

ice-9
11-12-2011, 04:42 PM
The FB link is audio only unfortunately and I don't have access to ESPNU -- if anyone knows where the game is being streamed I'd love to know!

TWRX5284
11-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I found a site: http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/91703/1/watch-presbyterian-vs-duke.html

davekay1971
11-12-2011, 05:09 PM
So far looking very good. Curry, Rivers, and Mason could very well emerge as our stars this year. Rivers, in particular, has so much upside it's Reddickulous!

davekay1971
11-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Heh heh...not exactly Hill to Laettner on that inbounds pass with 2.1 left on the clock to end the half. Fortunately, it didn't have to be. Good, good first half. They definitely answered my question about focus and intensity entering this game.

delfrio
11-12-2011, 05:25 PM
I love it that we ran the 2.1 second full court pass play! Guess it might have helped to have Grant and Laettner out there though.

ChillinDuke
11-12-2011, 05:33 PM
We look pretty solid today. Already answering some questions only 17 short hours after we asked them.

Turnovers are much improved. Curry, Mason, Rivers, Kelly, and even Miles have all at least shown stretches of great play. Defense has had some excellent possessions.
Man, do I love Quinn Cook. He is fiery and passionate. Already slapped the floor. Can't wait to see his career progression. He looks more in tune with the game today.

- Chillin

superdave
11-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Austin Rivers' ability to get into the paint, and to the rim, is elite. I'm gonna love watching that this year. I hope Quinn plays so well, we cant keep him off the court.

superdave
11-12-2011, 06:09 PM
The announcers just said Alex Murphy is banged up, took a fall in practice.

Troublemaker
11-12-2011, 06:10 PM
This team is already such a tight group. They root for each other and celebrate hard when someone does well.