PDA

View Full Version : Daly pulls a Tin Cup

BD80
11-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Well. sort of:

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/16055740/daly-walks-off-course-at-australian-open-after-bad-water-shots

Daly was 7 over after 10 holes in the first round after becoming upset on the 10th hole when he hit a practice ball out of a bunker, believing it was his tee shot. The two-shot penalty and a three-putt that followed gave him a triple bogey.

On the 11th, he hit ball after ball into the water, some landing in the center of the pond, before a tour official joined him. Moments later, Daly shook hands with playing partners Craig Parry of Australia and American Hunter Mahan and walked off the course.

He would have been hitting his 16th shot if he had more golf balls.

Runs out of balls so he walks off. Classic.

Australian Open officials aren't amused:

"If you run out of golf balls, and you are acting in a professional manner, you will call a rules official and we will get the type of ball he is playing with and replenish his stock," Herden said. "We can do that. For him to treat it as 'that's it' and 'see you later', that's not good enough."

Years ago I witnessed a playing partner pump at least a dozen balls into a stream crossing the fairway. He emptied his bag and mine of balls. He became more aggravated and more determined with each attempt.

Doug.I.Am
11-11-2011, 08:31 AM
Well. sort of:

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/16055740/daly-walks-off-course-at-australian-open-after-bad-water-shots

Runs out of balls so he walks off. Classic.

Australian Open officials aren't amused:

Years ago I witnessed a playing partner pump at least a dozen balls into a stream crossing the fairway. He emptied his bag and mine of balls. He became more aggravated and more determined with each attempt.

Hey BD - read this too. JD needs to either quit the game entirely or start working at it just a little more. He's downright awful and the most bizarre part is people are still giving him exemptions. He's ranked 666 in the world. Former major winner or not, he doesn't belong on the Tour.

It's too bad, because JD is a pretty likable fella.

BD80
11-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Hey BD - read this too. JD needs to either quit the game entirely or start working at it just a little more. He's downright awful and the most bizarre part is people are still giving him exemptions. He's ranked 666 in the world. Former major winner or not, he doesn't belong on the Tour.

It's too bad, because JD is a pretty likable fella.

Exemption? They gave him an APPEARANCE FEE!

I would say he gave the audience exactly what they wanted to see. Quite a performance. Albeit a bit compressed into consecutive holes.

Daly is the real-life Happy Gilmore. If Bob Barker is still alive, they should be paired in a Pro-Am.

Doug.I.Am
11-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Exemption? They gave him an APPEARANCE FEE!

I would say he gave the audience exactly what they wanted to see. Quite a performance. Albeit a bit compressed into consecutive holes.

Daly is the real-life Happy Gilmore. If Bob Barker is still alive, they should be paired in a Pro-Am.

I didn't think he got an apearance fee: "Brian Thorburn, the CEO of the PGA of Australasia, was also harsh. He released a statement in which he said that Daly received no appearance fee for playing the Australian Open and that his offer to play the Australian PGA Championship in Coolum in two weeks has been rescinded." Regardless, he had no business being over there in the first place.

I think you're right, he's more a Happy Gilmore than Roy McAvoy. I still get a kick out of Roy getting the shanks on the range....Never gets old..