PDA

View Full Version : Some notes on Duke football press conference, 11-8

jimsumner
11-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Lots of belaboring the obvious. Not many ways to spin a 49-14 loss and Duke didn't try.

Physical practice today. Cut described it as "intense, " as "more of a spring practice." Lots of hitting. Some 1v1 work. Will repeat tomorrow.

Cut-"The focus is on fixing mistakes, working on fundamentals. You can't hope you're not going to play the same way. You have to do something about it."

Emphasis on reducing penalties and opposing team's big plays.

Team seems to be reasonably healthy.

I tried to get a bit of a handle on the slow starts. Cut says he has "no explanation. It's somewhat a mystery." He's said he's never had that problem before.

The players say they feel prepared and feel like they're coming out of the locker room ready to play. Duke doesn't do anything in the pregames any differently than they've done before or anything anyone else isn't doing. Dave Harding cited a lack of focus on the offensive line, especially the false starts. Dez Johnson confirmed that the Duke defense was in the wrong formation on Miami's first play.

Hard to figure but there's acknowledgment that Duke isn't good enough to spot other ACC teams big early leads.

OldPhiKap
11-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Lots of belaboring the obvious. Not many ways to spin a 49-14 loss and Duke didn't try.

Physical practice today. Cut described it as "intense, " as "more of a spring practice." Lots of hitting. Some 1v1 work. Will repeat tomorrow.

Cut-"The focus is on fixing mistakes, working on fundamentals. You can't hope you're not going to play the same way. You have to do something about it."

Emphasis on reducing penalties and opposing team's big plays.

Team seems to be reasonably healthy.

I tried to get a bit of a handle on the slow starts. Cut says he has "no explanation. It's somewhat a mystery." He's said he's never had that problem before.

The players say they feel prepared and feel like they're coming out of the locker room ready to play. Duke doesn't do anything in the pregames any differently than they've done before or anything anyone else isn't doing. Dave Harding cited a lack of focus on the offensive line, especially the false starts. Dez Johnson confirmed that the Duke defense was in the wrong formation on Miami's first play.

Hard to figure but there's acknowledgment that Duke isn't good enough to spot other ACC teams big early leads.

Jim, is Coach's demeanor any different recently than in times past? Angry, frustrated, etc.? Just trying to get a sense of what is going on underneath the coachspeak.

jimsumner
11-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Jim, is Coach's demeanor any different recently than in times past? Angry, frustrated, etc.? Just trying to get a sense of what is going on underneath the coachspeak.

Still seems positive but tired. His default position is upbeat.

Renfree was asked the same question. His response was that Cut was still positive and was posing the final three weeks as a challenge that Duke could meet.

OldPhiKap
11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Still seems positive but tired. His default position is upbeat.

Renfree was asked the same question. His response was that Cut was still positive and was posing the final three weeks as a challenge that Duke could meet.

Thanks. I agree that the final three games are a chance to put forth positive efforts and hopefully the final score will reflect it. I imagine that, given what Cut sees in practice, he thinks we have the potential to play much better than our record indicates and that moral victories don't count. I hope the players take it to the next level (individually and collectively) and that whatever coaching adjustments need to be made are implemented.

We seem so close to punching through and getting on the winning track (last week aside). It has to be tiring to keep hitting the same wall.

throatybeard
11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm just enjoying going around saying that we've won three straight football games over Virginia. Though they do seem much improved this year.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Jim, has anyone asked about our abysmal tackling? I swear we'd be better if we slathered Stickum on the palms and arms of our defense; it is truly horrid. So many big plays against us have busted wide open after really weak tackling attempts. We'd be awesome if we were playing touch football; our guys are there...and often have their arms wrapped around the runner only for them to get away. But the worst is watching those who are convinced that simply laying a shoulder to a body will flatten their opponent. Cockrell is really bad for doing that..he doesn't even bother to get his ams out to grab hold, he'll lead with his shoulder convinced he's going to knock his guy down.
Just curious if anyone has broached that subject in the pressers.

mkline09
11-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Jim, has anyone asked about our abysmal tackling? I swear we'd be better if we slathered Stickum on the palms and arms of our defense; it is truly horrid. So many big plays against us have busted wide open after really weak tackling attempts. We'd be awesome if we were playing touch football; our guys are there...and often have their arms wrapped around the runner only for them to get away. But the worst is watching those who are convinced that simply laying a shoulder to a body will flatten their opponent. Cockrell is really bad for doing that..he doesn't even bother to get his ams out to grab hold, he'll lead with his shoulder convinced he's going to knock his guy down.

Great observation. I've noticed that as well. Duke gets hats to the ball but doesn't finish the job. I hear Bob Harris begin to call a tackle and then change to no he missed it way too many times. Definitely the sign of a young defense.

One thing that I wonder about regarding Cutcliffe's demeanor is does he ever really get mad? I mean does he just rip into the team and challenge them. I'm not suggesting he do anything degrading or call out the players in public, but I wonder if he needs to lay into them a bit. This team needs to toughen up on the field, especially when they come out in the wrong formation to start the game. That just can't fly. I'm sure it is dealt with in a way deemed fit by the coaching staff but I'm just curious of the tact that is taken.

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2011, 08:42 PM
One thing that I wonder about regarding Cutcliffe's demeanor is does he ever really get mad? I mean does he just rip into the team and challenge them. I'm not suggesting he do anything degrading or call out the players in public, but I wonder if he needs to lay into them a bit. This team needs to toughen up on the field, especially when they come out in the wrong formation to start the game. That just can't fly. I'm sure it is dealt with in a way deemed fit by the coaching staff but I'm just curious of the tact that is taken.
The folks who tailgate next to us as well as one of our tailgating members (and fellow DBR poster) both have family members who are managers on the team. The word from them is that he does indeed lay into the team; in fact when I heard the first person account description I was a bit taken back because it was unexpected. I would love to see a glimpse of Cut getting pissed for the cameras though; we see it from K time to time.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Great observation. I've noticed that as well. Duke gets hats to the ball but doesn't finish the job. I hear Bob Harris begin to call a tackle and then change to no he missed it way too many times. Definitely the sign of a young defense.

I have never been around Cutcliffe at a practice nor within earshot at a game (just in the stands), but I don't think Cut is a screamer, it's not in his nature. I'm sure he gets mad. K and Wojo are screamers. I am a screamer. But Cut isn't. Tom Landry wasn't, and neither was John Wooden. Point is, both ways can work, although there are far more yellers in the world than non-yellers.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-08-2011, 08:54 PM
The folks who tailgate next to us as well as one of our tailgating members (and fellow DBR poster) both have family members who are managers on the team. The word from them is that he does indeed lay into the team; in fact when I heard the first person account description I was a bit taken back because it was unexpected. I would love to see a glimpse of Cut getting pissed for the cameras though; we see it from K time to time.

I have never been around Cutcliffe at a practice nor within earshot at a game (just in the stands), but I don't think Cut is a screamer, it's not in his nature. I'm sure he gets mad. K and Wojo are screamers. I am a screamer. But Cut isn't. Tom Landry wasn't, and neither was John Wooden. Point is, both ways can work, although there are far more yellers in the world than non-yellers.
Well, since we tailgate together, I guess I missed those conversations. I stand corrected. I'd like to see him yelling too.

Newton_14
11-08-2011, 11:05 PM

Great post Chris. It is frustrating and you are right about the guys being right there to make the play. That is one area of improvement in the last 4 years for those keeping score of improvements that do not show up in stats or win/loss column.

My suggestion to fix this? Have all defenders watch hours of tape on Matt Daniels making tackles. Just do it like Matt does it guys! (I know, Matt is not perfect and has made a mistake or two, but dude can ball).

mkline09
11-09-2011, 06:50 AM

I certainly don't disagree both ways can work. Just trying to figure out why the team is coming out flat in games they should be up for. I can see if you are coming off a loss that cost you a chance at something but this team still has a chance at bowl eligibility, albeit a small one. But I would think they'd be a little more focused on the first play of a game. I don't doubt Cut has his ways of motivating his players but I certainly feel a fraction of his frustration as a fan watching/listening every week. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for him. I'm a screamer. Come basketball season my dogs run for the hills as soon as the hear the drone of a basketball crowd on TV.

devildeac
11-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Well, since we tailgate together, I guess I missed those conversations. I stand corrected. I'd like to see him yelling too.

I am waiting on a response/clarification/explanation/insight as I type this.