PDA

View Full Version : USS Carl Vinson

grossbus
11-08-2011, 02:53 PM
sparty has had a recent history of not showing up against the holes. how badly will they get beat this time? as much as i would like to see sparty push the holes overboard, i anticipate another ugly blue beat down.

they will, however, show up against us in the garden, for sure.

Duvall
11-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Carl Vinson prediction: Still dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Vinson).

chrishoke
11-08-2011, 03:03 PM
This game will be very ugly.

Duvall
11-08-2011, 03:05 PM
This game will be very ugly.

Undoubtedly (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6049/6283608392_5cacb1ae36_o.png).

cato
11-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Local forecast is calling for rain right around game time. Looks like they may have to move the game from the flight deck to the hanger below. If they do, I predict that there will be some very disappointed Tar Heels roaming the wet streets of San Diego.

mattman91
11-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm very excited about this game. I like any other true Duke fan despise the holes, however, I will be pulling for Carolina in this one for the fact that the USS Carl Vinson in the ship my father served on in the 80s. This is a very special game that I know my father is going to enjoy watching (He's a huge UNC fan), so I hope they make him proud. A few years back as a family trip, we took a harbor cruise in Norfolk to see ole' number 70. The site brought my father to tears.

oldnavy
11-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Local forecast is calling for rain right around game time. Looks like they may have to move the game from the flight deck to the hanger below. If they do, I predict that there will be some very disappointed Tar Heels roaming the wet streets of San Diego.

My undersanding was that attendance was limited to Active Duty only (with exception for staff/media/support crew) but not open to general admission ... I applaud the US Navy for hosting this. It is a major logistical undertaking to have a televised basketball game on a "ship of the line", not sure that it has ever been done before? ... Good on them.

davekay1971
11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm very excited about this game. I like any other true Duke fan despise the holes, however, I will be pulling for Carolina in this one for the fact that the USS Carl Vinson in the ship my father served on in the 80s. This is a very special game that I know my father is going to enjoy watching (He's a huge UNC fan), so I hope they make him proud. A few years back as a family trip, we took a harbor cruise in Norfolk to see ole' number 70. The site brought my father to tears.

I very humbly and sincerely thank your father for his service to our country...and I hope his team loses by 100. :D

rocketeli
11-08-2011, 06:23 PM
An aircraft carrier is a pretty big ship, but it's still a ship, on the ocean. I wonder if even subtle movement will affect the shooting, and if so, will it be more of a problem for the 'holes than for sparty?

Bob Green
11-08-2011, 07:06 PM
...the USS Carl Vinson is the ship my father served on in the 80s.

mattman91,

Your father and I have something in common. I was a crew member in the USS Carl Vinson from January 1998 to February 2001.

Bob Green
11-08-2011, 07:09 PM
An aircraft carrier is a pretty big ship, but it's still a ship, on the ocean. I wonder if even subtle movement will affect the shooting, and if so, will it be more of a problem for the 'holes than for sparty?

The short answer is no. An aircraft carrier tied to the pier in San Diego Harbor does not move. With a displacement in excess of 100,000 tons, it doesn't move around all that much when at sea.

devildeac
11-08-2011, 09:45 PM
The short answer is no. An aircraft carrier tied to the pier in San Diego Harbor does not move. With a displacement in excess of 100,000 tons, it doesn't move around all that much when at sea.

As I have stated before, I hope the 'heels are able to "throw it in the ocean" with great regularity during the contest;). Go Spartans!

Newton_14
11-08-2011, 10:56 PM

But the wind will blow! Good luck with those shooting percentages boys!

P.S.- There is also a discussion on this game in the "This Week in The ACC" that PfrDuke started yesterday. In that thread I predicted UNC 96- Sparty- 58. I see no reason to change my opinion now.:) (Dang lowlife Spartans always rolling over and playing dead against the Heels!):mad:

dukedoc
11-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I love time lapse videos. I love basketball. So, this video was particularly awesome. If only we were playing in the game. Pretty cool to see regardless. LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgK-9IbIJ4)

juise
11-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I love time lapse videos. I love basketball. So, this video was particularly awesome. If only we were playing in the game. Pretty cool to see regardless. LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGgK-9IbIJ4)

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing. It's a fresh video... dated today and only a couple hundred views when I saw it.

Festus
11-10-2011, 02:48 PM

As a "Old Salt", with just a few carrier landings under my belt :), I would take issue with the deck not moving "all that much at sea". Many a time in my career we had to secure flight ops due to an unsafe moving deck, sometimes in excess of plus or minus twelve feet. Ashore tied up, I agree, movement will not be felt. However, I do recall a night back in 69' when the wind moved the Enterprise far enough away from the pier so that the gangways were non-functional.
As a Sparty alum, I am hoping but not very confident, this year for sure.

snowdenscold
11-10-2011, 03:57 PM
In the time-lapse video, you did see the deck moving up and down relative to the shore - but perhaps a lot of that is just due to tides and all the loading/unloading. Either way, it would be very gradual over that long of time. I imagine for a 2-hour stretch it wouldn't be that noticeable.

BD80
11-10-2011, 04:12 PM
As a "Old Salt", with just a few carrier landings under my belt :), I would take issue with the deck not moving "all that much at sea". Many a time in my career we had to secure flight ops due to an unsafe moving deck, sometimes in excess of plus or minus twelve feet. Ashore tied up, I agree, movement will not be felt. However, I do recall a night back in 69' when the wind moved the Enterprise far enough away from the pier so that the gangways were non-functional.
As a Sparty alum, I am hoping but not very confident, this year for sure.

Sea dogs don't consider a few feet to-or-fro or up-and-down to qualify as motion.

oldnavy
11-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I was at sea for approximately 3 months on the USNS Comfort, one of two naval hospital ships (USNS Mercy, being the other). These ships are converted oil tankers and are close to the size of a carrier. I can tell you that we "rolled" at times when crossing the Atlantic. It was funny, because the ship has long open hallways (unlike war ships) and you would be walking down the hall on the left hand side only to find yourself bumping into the right hand wall a few seconds later. Sleeping was cool, because you sensed you were being "rocked" to sleep. Thank goodness that we did not get into heavy seas on my short cruise.

Bob is right in that they do not move "that much" in comparison to other ships but anything on that ocean is going to move at the mercy of the swells...

Tied up at dock in a sheltered port I doubt that movement will be any problem for the players. They may have to worry about the wind... but I suppose UNC will be looking to score a lot in the paint, so it could work to their advantage.

basket1544
11-10-2011, 07:26 PM
ESPN has done a video (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7208088) of this very thing. They said the thing that will hurt the shooters the most is not having a ceiling to use as a guideline.

dukemsu
11-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Heels by 15-20.

I don't think the Spartans are nearly as bad as some are saying, but this is too tough an assignment. The only thing that could keep it even relatively competitive is that the environment is really strange and maybe no one plays well.

But I expect the Heels to find their game at some point and pull away.

Not sure about the dreaded (by me, anyway) game at the Garden next week. But this is more of an old-fashioned, punch you in the face group of Spartans than the dysfunctional mess of last season.

dukemsu

Bob Green
11-10-2011, 08:02 PM
As a "Old Salt", with just a few carrier landings under my belt :), I would take issue with the deck not moving "all that much at sea".

I guess it is relative. Prior to serving aboard two aircraft carriers, I spent the early days of my career on a frigate and destroyer. Compared to the movement experienced on a 4,300 ton Knox Class frigate with inoperative fin stabilizers, a 100,000 ton aircraft carrier does not move all that much at sea.

SCMatt33
11-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I was wondering about another factor that could play a part in this. Shadows. I guess with rain possible it might not be a sunny day, but from the pictures I saw, the court isn't too far from the bridge and there were shadows on the end bleachers. I'm wondering if those shadows could creep onto the court or if they will just have lights anyway to avoid that.

SharkD
11-10-2011, 09:56 PM
I dunno, I think, as a taxpayer, I should get my money's worth out of the Chuck Wagon's current in-port availability. I suggest that, rather than burning through a couple-hundred thousand dollars by leaving the boat tied-up, pierside, they get the maximum bang for the buck and conduct a series of flank-speed rudder turns (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_110614-N-XZ912-208_The_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS_Dwight_D._Eisenhower_(C VN_69)_conducts_rudder_turns_during_sea_trials.jpg ) (and maybe a crash stop, or two), during the game. It'd definitely get me to tune-in, even despite the hideous uniforms (http://www.nikeblog.com/2011/10/27/north-carolina-camo-uniforms/).

BD80
11-10-2011, 10:14 PM
I dunno, I think, as a taxpayer, I should get my money's worth out of the Chuck Wagon's current in-port availability. I suggest that, rather than burning through a couple-hundred thousand dollars by leaving the boat tied-up, pierside, they get the maximum bang for the buck and conduct a series of flank-speed rudder turns (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_110614-N-XZ912-208_The_Nimitz-class_aircraft_carrier_USS_Dwight_D._Eisenhower_(C VN_69)_conducts_rudder_turns_during_sea_trials.jpg ) (and maybe a crash stop, or two), during the game. It'd definitely get me to tune-in, even despite the hideous uniforms (http://www.nikeblog.com/2011/10/27/north-carolina-camo-uniforms/).

Aren't there statutes or regulations about the dignity of the flag, the uniform, the servicemen, the vessel?

The tar heels uniform is an insult to all of the above and to nature ...

moonpie23
11-10-2011, 10:27 PM

totally awesome man....

moonpie23
11-10-2011, 10:28 PM
I guess it is relative. Prior to serving aboard two aircraft carriers, I spent the early days of my career on a frigate and destroyer. Compared to the movement experienced on a 4,300 ton Knox Class frigate with inoperative fin stabilizers, a 100,000 ton aircraft carrier does not move all that much at sea.

maybe you're just used to it bob...... ;)

subzero02
11-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Unc -10.5... Gotta expect the heels to cover. Too many weapons

superdave
11-11-2011, 12:16 AM
As a patriot and an American, I have way too many rude comments to make to participate in this thread in a meaningful way. I hate Carolina and I love my country, and this is difficult for me to sort out. I hope Roy falls off the side of the carrier.

grossbus
11-11-2011, 11:22 AM
"I hope Roy falls off the side of the carrier."

i like it!

OldPhiKap
11-11-2011, 11:26 AM
"I hope Roy falls off the side of the carrier."

i like it!

If Carolina loses, would Roy be throwing his players under the ship?

Not sure how that works.

Festus
11-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Not sure how that works.

Might you be thinking of "keel hauling" ( A medeival naval punishment that involves tying a line to each arm of the convicted sailor and pushing him off the bow of the ship under sail) :)?

devildeac
11-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Not sure how that works.

Or cheering "abandon ship" like our fans did as we dispatched the David Robinson led Navy squad many years ago in the East Regional.

oldnavy
11-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I love this nautical thread! keel hauling, flogging, walking the plank, skuttlebutt, binical list, gun decking, .... ah the memories! :rolleyes:

Bob Green
11-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I love this nautical thread! keel hauling, flogging, walking the plank, skuttlebutt, binical list, gun decking, .... ah the memories! :rolleyes:

Without the aid of Google, which DBR posters know what the Binnacle List is?

oldnavy
11-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Probably only the swabbies!

Never could spell very well....

Indoor66
11-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Isn't that a list maintained by Barnacles of their arch enemies, the Binnicles?

stals
11-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Writing as the son of a Naval Academy grad, I'd say the Binnacle List is the sick roll.

oldnavy
11-11-2011, 01:03 PM

Writing as the son of a Naval Academy grad, I'd say the Binnacle List is the sick roll.

Ayyyeee!

rsvman
11-11-2011, 02:20 PM
ESPN has done a video (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7208088) of this very thing. They said the thing that will hurt the shooters the most is not having a ceiling to use as a guideline.

I keep hearing talk of this. Sport Science said the same thing.

But, c'mon. How many of us didn't grow up playing basketball outdoors? I played on outdoor courts all the time. Still do! People are playing basketball in open air courts in Manhattan, Philadelphia, etc., etc., every day the weather permits. Surely the players on both teams have played outdoor basketball all their lives.

I think it will essentially be the same as playing in a dome, with the exception that the climate is not controlled.

oldnavy
11-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I keep hearing talk of this. Sport Science said the same thing.

But, c'mon. How many of us didn't grow up playing basketball outdoors? I played on outdoor courts all the time. Still do! People are playing basketball in open air courts in Manhattan, Philadelphia, etc., etc., every day the weather permits. Surely the players on both teams have played outdoor basketball all their lives.

I think it will essentially be the same as playing in a dome, with the exception that the climate is not controlled.

It is going to be played under the lights, so there will not be any point of reference for the players just blackness above the lights. I don't think this will have as much impact as wind and temp/condensation.... not sure how that might work out on a hardwood floor as the temp falls after dark... hopefully it won't be bad and they have a good game, with MSU winning by 30!

oldnavy
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I just realized (duh) that the game is 7 ET so it will not be dark at the start of the game, but it will be dark soon after. Anyway, watch for when they stop the game to retire the colors. They do that at sunset everyday on the ship and it should be pretty cool.

94duke
11-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I just realized (duh) that the game is 7 ET so it will not be dark at the start of the game, but it will be dark soon after. Anyway, watch for when they stop the game to retire the colors. They do that at sunset everyday on the ship and it should be pretty cool.

If the game is at 1600 local, will they retire the colors before the game? Halftime?

Bob Green
11-11-2011, 04:50 PM
If the game is at 1600 local, will they retire the colors before the game? Halftime?

Evening colors will held be at 1650:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=770

oldnavy
11-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Evening colors will held be at 1650:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=770

Colors go off at sunrise and sunset. So they will have to stop the game, come to attention and face the flag. Should be neat to watch... I suspect it will be an official timeout. They sound first call to colors to give everyone a heads up five minutes prior...

Bob Green
11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Colors go off at sunrise and sunset.

Morning colors are always conducted at 0800. Evening colors are at sunset.

oldnavy
11-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Morning colors are always conducted at 0800. Evening colors are at sunset.

You are correct. I just watched Fiddler on the Roof and had "sunrise, sunset" on the brain!!

devildeac
11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Sink the 'heels!

Deep six the boys in baby blue!

Wheat/"/"/"
11-11-2011, 06:02 PM
There will be some interesting things to look for tonight in this game.
I may be wrong, but I think this game will be played at a high level. The magnitude of the event demands it. We'll see.

Defense. This should be one of the best UNC defensive teams to come along in quite a while, and that includes '09, which was a great defensive team when they wanted to be. It should be very difficult for teams to find a groove and score against this team.

Reggie Bullock. Insiders are saying he's healthy and playing like a stud. Is he?

Henson and HB's progression. Both have added strength in the off season and should be better. Will Barnes attack the rim more? Will Henson show a face up jumper?

We'll get a first look at PJ and McAdoo and see if they are ready to step up early this season or if they will need some time.

I'd look to feed the post all game, especially Zeller, who I expect to have an AA season.

I'm also interested in seeing how Watts plays this game as well. He's gonna get more quality minutes than people think this season.

....and I'll take the under on 7 minutes in 'till Dexter's first dunk.

Glad to finally get the season going, good luck in the Belmont game.

Bob Green
11-11-2011, 06:26 PM
There will be some interesting things to look for tonight in this game...

Reggie Bullock. Insiders are saying he's healthy and playing like a stud. Is he?

Henson and HB's progression. Both have added strength in the off season and should be better. Will Barnes attack the rim more? Will Henson show a face up jumper?

We'll get a first look at PJ and McAdoo and see if they are ready to step up early this season or if they will need some time.

I'd look to feed the post all game, especially Zeller, who I expect to have an AA season.

Bullock got a bad rap last season, he was ineffective because he played hurt. If he is indeed healthy, it will be interesting to see what he has to offer. As far as Henson goes, what's the over/under on air ball free throws? Seeing how effective the freshmen are is always interesting and PJ and McAdoo arrive amidst much hype so it'll be interesting to see if they live up to the billing. When Zeller gets into a groove he is close to unstoppable. I believe he is Carolina's MVP.

weezie
11-11-2011, 07:25 PM
How does everybody like the hole blue camo unis?

uh_no
11-11-2011, 07:34 PM
How does everybody like the hole blue camo unis?

I think the proper question is "how does everybody hate the blue camo unis?"

answer "as much as I hate anything tarheel colored"

...speaking of which...colombia is playing uconn right now wearing tarheel colored unis....they are ugly.

devildeac
11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
My deepest sympathies/condolences to Bob Green as his former boat, err, ship is desecrated by the boys wearing that wretched shade of blue, camo or not. Blecch!

But, also, a note of sincere appreciation to Bob for serving our country in the US Navy for his career.

weezie
11-11-2011, 07:42 PM
My deepest sympathies/condolences to Bob Green as his former boat, err, ship is desecrated by the boys wearing that wretched shade of blue, camo or not. Blecch!

Yeah, we should take up a collection for flowers or something.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2011, 07:48 PM

But, also, a note of sincere appreciation to Bob for serving our country in the US Navy for his career.

x2.

But if they handled OBL's funeral, having the Heels on can't be THAT much worse.

weezie
11-11-2011, 07:51 PM
x2.

But if they handled OBL's funeral, having the Heels on can't be THAT much worse.

Hahahahaha lol, good one! :D:D:D

devildeac
11-11-2011, 07:56 PM
x2.

Alright, we'll call it a draw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno

mr. synellinden
11-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Carolina is just getting dominated on the boards right now. This is vintage Michigan St. basketball.

CDu
11-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Carolina is just getting dominated on the boards right now. This is vintage Michigan St. basketball.

The MSU starters did a surprisingly great job. It will be interesting to see how the team does as the game wears on.

UNC has drawn 8 team fouls now in 10:30.

But MSU is just pounding the glass.

weezie
11-11-2011, 08:08 PM

Magic's in the house, that's inspiring a bit.

devildeac
11-11-2011, 08:09 PM
The MSU starters did a surprisingly great job. It will be interesting to see how the team does as the game wears on.

UNC has drawn 8 team fouls now in 10:30.

But MSU is just pounding the glass.

Are we going to need to send our USN retired poster to the refs to have a chat with them?:rolleyes:

weezie
11-11-2011, 08:17 PM
I can't wait to see Mason pile drive Henson this year.

CDu
11-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Some sloppy sloppy play by MSU has led to UNC taking back the lead.

Also, Tyler Zeller seems to draw a lot of charges by stepping forward into the oncoming driver (two already tonight). For all the talk about our charges, UNC certainly has a similar habit of questionable charge calls in their favor.

CDu
11-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Sounds like the condensation issue is becoming a problem for the players.

mapei
11-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Some sloppy sloppy play by MSU has led to UNC taking back the lead.

Also, Tyler Zeller seems to draw a lot of charges by stepping forward into the oncoming driver (two already tonight). For all the talk about our charges, UNC certainly has a similar habit of questionable charge calls in their favor.

I think charge is the right call when we get it and it has been the right call tonight when Zeller has gotten it.

CDu
11-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I think charge is the right call when we get it and it has been the right call tonight when Zeller has gotten it.

I often agree with the first part (though we certainly get some breaks in that regard). I disagree with the second part. Zeller seems to wait until the player commits and then steps forward underneath him. That shouldn't be a charge.

And just as I type this, he got the benefit of a TERRIBLE charge call there.

IBleedBlue
11-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I am not sure about others but I am finding Jay Bilas a little irritating these days with his analysis. Everyone knows that UNC has good frontline but he just keeps repeating and singing praises of these guys a little too much.
This whole first half while MSU was dominating UNC on the boards, he just keeps praising John Henson's blocks and Tyler Zeller's charges. May be he is being a little too objective.
Dan Shulman, on the other hand is doing better today than Jay Bilas.

mapei
11-11-2011, 08:36 PM
I agree with you on the last one. But I think stepping in front of a player, if you're quick enough to get there and get set, is a great defensive play and should be rewarded. I hate the way the NBA takes away that play.

loldevilz
11-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I am not sure about others but I am finding Jay Bilas a little irritating these days with his analysis. Everyone knows that UNC has good frontline but he just keeps repeating and singing praises of these guys a little too much.
This whole first half while MSU was dominating UNC on the boards, he just keeps praising John Henson's blocks and Tyler Zeller's charges. May be he is being a little too objective.
Dan Shulman, on the other hand is doing better today than Jay Bilas.

I never used to think that Bilas was that bad, until I heard him compare James McAdoo to Worthy. Ugh.

CDu
11-11-2011, 08:56 PM
After a surprising stretch in the early-mid first half, MSU has faded to a 36-25 deficit. Hopefully they can turn it around in the second half, but this could get ugly.

mapei
11-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Henson is playing phenomenal tonight.

CDu
11-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Henson is playing phenomenal tonight.

If he can hit that 10-15 footer like he did to start the 2nd half, he's an even bigger force than he already was going to be. Game-changing shotblocking presence.

The only flaw for him (and all of UNC's bigs) tonight has been getting pushed around on the boards. Aside from that, he's been fantastic.

OldPhiKap
11-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Alright, we'll call it a draw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eMkth8FWno

Five point shot -- three, sir -- three point shot . . . .

gumbomoop
11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread on UNC [as some posters, for understandable reasons, are irritated with any such thread], but I have an observation about Roy's 8-man rotation in the Heels' first 2 games.

Check out these 2 box scores:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=313150127

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=313172427

I saw neither of UNC's 2 games, so my impression from the box scores could be off. But the numbers seem to say that, with McDonald out for the season, Roy plays 8 guys, with Watts maybe getting very limited minutes as 9th man. Even more interesting, the 5 starters play 30-33 minutes each. I could understand Marshall playing 33 minutes v. Mich St, but 33 v. UNC-A is surprising. Roy knows the obvious: no back-up PG.

I'd think McAdoo's, Bullock's, and Hairston's minutes will inch up a bit, but maybe not. Maybe Roy is adapting to his actual talent. I'm defintiely sold on McAdoo, but I just don't know that Bullock and Hairston are ready for 15-20 minutes in a big game. And UNC-A was not a big test.

CDu
11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I agree with you on the last one. But I think stepping in front of a player, if you're quick enough to get there and get set, is a great defensive play and should be rewarded. I hate the way the NBA takes away that play.

I actually disagree on this. I think it's a dangerous play, and frequently the refs miss the "get set" part. I think charges are called WAY too often at the college level. The college game now so frequently allows the defender to essentially jump under a committed ballhandler and get away with it. I don't think it's good defense, and I think it leads to unnecessary dangerous collisions.

Don't get me wrong: if a guy clearly runs over (or lowers the shoulder to plow through) a stationary defender then it should be a charge. The defender shouldn't have to get out of the offensive player's way. But he also shouldn't be rewarded for jumping in the way at the last possible second and creating and creating a dangerous situation, either.

CDu
11-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread on UNC [as some posters, for understandable reasons, are irritated with any such thread], but I have an observation about Roy's 8-man rotation in the Heels' first 2 games.

Check out these 2 box scores:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=313150127

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=313172427

I saw neither of UNC's 2 games, so my impression from the box scores could be off. But the numbers seem to say that, with McDonald out for the season, Roy plays 8 guys, with Watts maybe getting very limited minutes as 9th man. Even more interesting, the 5 starters play 30-33 minutes each. I could understand Marshall playing 33 minutes v. Mich St, but 33 v. UNC-A is surprising. Roy knows the obvious: no back-up PG.

I'd think McAdoo's, Bullock's, and Hairston's minutes will inch up a bit, but maybe not. Maybe Roy is adapting to his actual talent. I'm defintiely sold on McAdoo, but I just don't know that Bullock and Hairston are ready for 15-20 minutes in a big game. And UNC-A was not a big test.

I noticed that as well. UNC definitely played a tighter rotation in the MSU game than Williams has historically done. He stuck with the starters much deeper into the game than he has in the past. He also went with the freshmen and Bullock less than anticipated. So basically Williams did something largely right here. I've never understood why he played Watts so much last year - especially since he played Watts at the PF spot. If he continues to not do that this year, that bodes well for UNC.

I'd expect that we'll see at least one of Hairston and Bullock a bit more as the season progresses. I'd expect one of them to end up in the ~15-20mpg range. I suspect that McAdoo is going to stay in the 15-20mpg range. As long as Zeller and Henson aren't in foul trouble or hurt, those two guys will be on the floor. They're clearly better than McAdoo at this point.

TonyWR
11-14-2011, 04:22 PM
I can't wait to see Mason pile drive Henson this year.

Same here! I think Mason/Miles will remind him of the beat down in Cameron they gave him a while back!