PDA

View Full Version : It's on! Duke vs UNC Alumni game on November 17th

basket1544
11-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Nolan tweeted this about 7 hours ago: "The Duke vs UNC pro game will be played on the 17th @ Cameron Indoor stadium!! More info too come as soon as I get it!!"
I can't wait! Any thoughts on who will or won't play? Duke has more pro players than a normal 12 player team in the NBA.

uh_no
11-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Nolan tweeted this about 7 hours ago: "The Duke vs UNC pro game will be played on the 17th @ Cameron Indoor stadium!! More info too come as soon as I get it!!"
I can't wait! Any thoughts on who will or won't play? Duke has more pro players than a normal 12 player team in the NBA.

i would bet on

kyrie
nolan
kyle
gerald
jj

and some big guys

dukebsbll14
11-06-2011, 09:25 PM
sweet Jesus. Please let students sit in section 17. I'll sleep out for this.

DevilHorse
11-06-2011, 09:26 PM
i would bet on

kyrie
nolan
kyle
gerald
jj

and some big guys

Isn't Kyle in Europe??

Larry
Devilhorse

juise
11-06-2011, 09:29 PM
i would bet on

kyrie
nolan
kyle
gerald
jj

and some big guys

You think Kyle's coming back from Spain for it? I'd be surprised. I hope Dahntay and Luol come. Maybe J-Will and Nate will suit up? Dunleavy and Shelden are probably soaking up this time with their little ones. Shane seems like he wouldmore likely to come and coach.

uh_no
11-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Isn't Kyle in Europe??

Larry
Devilhorse

Is he?

Apologies, I don't spend nearly enough time following dukies' whereabouts.

devildeac
11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Isn't Kyle in Europe??

Larry
Devilhorse

You think Kyle's coming back from Spain for it? I'd be surprised. I hope Dahntay and Luol come. Maybe J-Will and Nate will suit up? Dunleavy and Shelden are probably soaking up this time with their little ones. Shane seems like he wouldmore likely to come and coach.

Is he?

Apologies, I don't spend nearly enough time following dukies' whereabouts.

From awhom111's post #59 in the Dukies in Europe thread (which is a fabulous idea and read for those interested in our men and ladies and a bunch of other former ACC players):

"Both of the players in Spain played on Sunday. Kyle Singler and Alicante fought their way to another win as they topped Monbus Blusens 73-69. Kyle struggled a bit with 6 points in 33 minutes."

Dev11
11-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Back in August. Will Vegas open with his Duke by 4 call?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6855994/revenge

Can't wait for this. I hope they televise it, because it is going to be awesome.

uh_no
11-06-2011, 10:42 PM
they should try to get dean and K to coach

devildeac
11-06-2011, 10:50 PM
they should try to get dean and K to coach

Sadly, I don't think Dean is in any shape to coach. I'd have #32 coach for the good guys and #23 coach for the evil empire.

Dev11
11-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Sadly, I don't think Dean is in any shape to coach. I'd have #32 coach for the good guys and #23 coach for the evil empire.

Given that #23 is an owner, there is a better chance of Dean being able to coach the bad guys than him. I still like #32, he showed his full exhibition coaching acumen in that warm-up game.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Given that #23 is an owner, there is a better chance of Dean being able to coach the bad guys than him. I still like #32, he showed his full exhibition coaching acumen in that warm-up game.
J.R. can't read, but he is coaching at a div 2 school. Maybe Chowan College won't have a game that night.

devildeac
11-07-2011, 09:09 AM
J.R. can't read, but he is coaching at a div 2 school. Maybe Chowan College won't have a game that night.

I know J.R. can't read but have you driven a Ford lately?;>))

cspan37421
11-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Back in August. Will Vegas open with his Duke by 4 call?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6855994/revenge

Can't wait for this. I hope they televise it, because it is going to be awesome.

Just think of what the auction for the rights to televise that game would be!

I do not like Simmons' idea of playing until 60 (I assume he meant points, not minutes). Why not just make it a 40-60 minute game and see what happens? I suppose you might have to sharply limit the game duration if you're only going to have 6 or 7 players per team.

devildeac
11-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Just think of what the auction for the rights to televise that game would be!

I do not like Simmons' idea of playing until 60 (I assume he meant points, not minutes). Why not just make it a 40-60 minute game and see what happens? I suppose you might have to sharply limit the game duration if you're only going to have 6 or 7 players per team.

Well, if K coaches the good guys, you know the bench will be "shortened" and only that many guys will see double digit minutes. (jk)

JasonEvans
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Lineups (my suggestion)

Duke:

PG- Kyrie
SG- JJ
SF- Grant (or Deng)
PF- Boozer
C- Brand
Bench - Guards: Nolan, Duhon, Dunleavy, Henderson, (or Maggette or Dahntay). Forwards: Deng, Battier, McRoberts (or Shelden).
That is a 12-man team (with 3 alternate possibilities). A bit thin up front but we would want to open up the game a lot and take advantage of our ridiculous depth on the perimeter. We've got double-digit NBA starters warming our bench salivating for a shot to play on the wing.

Carolina

PG- Lawson (or Felton)
SG- Vinsanity
SF- Marvin Williams
PF- Hansbro (or Jamison)
C- Haywood
Bench - Guards: Felton, Ellington, Stackhouse, Forwards: Jamison, Ed Davis, Brandan Wright
That is an 11-man roster and I am struggling to find more. I suppose we could include Jawad Williams and Danny Green, both of whom are technically active NBA players, but neither of them are very good. Heck, Stackhouse is pretty washed up at this point too. I wonder if Rasheed would want to come out of retirement to play in this.

There is little question which team would be favored at this point. Aside from PG (where Duke's main guy is NBA untested) Duke has what would appear to be a significant edge at every other position on the floor. Carolina's big man depth is a little bit better, but Duke is just smoking them on the perimeter.

Carolina really needs another year. Barnes will likely be a big boost to their perimeter players. Henson, Zeller, and perhaps McAdoo could add nice big man depth. Marshall won't be of much use as they don't need another PG.

Obviously, not all of these guys will be able to play. Perhaps some Duke guys beg out, opening up a spot for Kyle or even for the dearly beloved Zoubek. Carolina will need excellent attendance from their players or their roster will be quite short. Maybe they add a JJ Hickson from NC State or some of the Wake grads. Wake has a pretty nice stable of NBA players to mine -- Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, Josh Howard, Jeff Teague, Songalia, Al-Farouq Aminu.

-Jason "this would have to be televised... heck, make it Pay-Per-View... I bet it would be huge" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2011, 10:45 AM
While I love that this will be in Cameron, I bet that the Dean Dome would sell out easily, too. How about a 2 game series spread over a weekend? Friday night at one place, Sunday at the other.

hurleyfor3
11-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Is there any confirmation from somewhere other than the twitter that this thing is on? I realize espn often isn't first to report this kind of thing, but I'd think that by the morning after it would be real news.

devildeac
11-07-2011, 10:50 AM
While I love that this will be in Cameron, I bet that the Dean Dome would sell out easily, too. How about a 2 game series spread over a weekend? Friday night at one place, Sunday at the other.

Shoot, make it a best of 3 series with the 3rd game at a neutral site like in Charlotte. Oh, wait a minute. Better make that MSG or the Meadowlands...

MIKESJ73
11-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Sounds like there is already a 2nd game being planned at UNC

http://forums.projectcovo.com/showthread.php?t=3841751

cspan37421
11-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Shoot, make it a best of 3 series with the 3rd game at a neutral site like in Charlotte. Oh, wait a minute. Better make that MSG or the Meadowlands...

We need suggestions for a 3rd game location.

Rupp Arena?
Allen Fieldhouse?
Hinkle Fieldhouse?
The Forum?

Dev11
11-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Rupp Arena?
Allen Fieldhouse?
Hinkle Fieldhouse?
The Forum?

Everybody loses!

Seriously though, they should include more schools and make this a right little tournament. I'm sure we could get some pretty decent teams out of Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Connecticut, Texas, maybe some others.

UrinalCake
11-07-2011, 01:57 PM
You think Kyle's coming back from Spain for it? I'd be surprised.... Dunleavy and Shelden are probably soaking up this time with their little ones. Shane seems like he wouldmore likely to come and coach.

Sounds like Duke still can't recruit a big man 8-)

cspan37421
11-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Sounds like Duke still can't recruit a big man 8-)

ha ha, but if having a cup of coffee in the NBA wasn't a requirement, I'd take Brian Zoubek in a heartbeat!

Oh, I just realized, by that criterion, Marty Nessley could un-retire from the Clippers and suit up. I think he put in a half-season or so. Fear the 'stache!

UrinalCake
11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Georgia Tech would actually field a pretty decent team

PG Jarrett Jack
SG Anthony Morrow
SF Thaddeus Young
PF Derrick Favors
C Chris Bosh

Bench: Will Bynum, Gani Lawal, Iman Shumpert, Mario West

Azdukefan
11-07-2011, 02:15 PM
While Im not a fan, U of A (Arizona) would field one of the best teams;

Derrick Williams
Jared Bayless
Chase Buddinger
Gilbert Arenas
Mike Bibby

*I'm sure I'm overlooking quite a few.

94duke
11-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Derrick Williams
Jared Bayless
Chase Buddinger
Gilbert Arenas
Mike Bibby

Luke Walton?

JasonEvans
11-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Derrick Williams
Jared Bayless
Chase Buddinger
Gilbert Arenas
Mike Bibby

Richard Jefferson, Jason Terry, Andre Igoudala, Channing Frye, Luke Walton, Jordan Hill... quite a good team. Not as good as the Duke team, but they would likely challenge Carolina.

Kentucky would be solid. Check out the guards -- Rondo, Wall, Bledsoe, Bogans, and Brandon Knight. The big men are not as strong -- Cousins, Patrick Patterson, Magliore, Patterson, and Chuck Hayes. Tay Prince on the wing... a very good team. Do they get Enes Kanter?

Kansas is ok, not deep -- Paul Pierce, Hinrich, Nick Collison, Darrell Arthur, Gooden, Chalmers, Brandon Rush, and maybe Julian Wright. They'd need the Morris twins to help with depth.

UCon's best players are mostly older guys on the way down -- Ray Allen, Caron Butler, Rudy Gay, Ben Gordon, Rip Hamilton, Charlie Vil, Okafor. Kemba Walker is a nice new addition for them, but they were much better a few years ago.

The team that would really challenge Duke for the #1 spot would be UCLA -- Westbrook, Love, Holiday, Darren Collison, Baron Davis, Farmar, Luc Mbah a Moute, Earl Watson, Matt Barnes, Ariza, Afflalo... loaded, just loaded.

If I had to seed them, I would go:

1. Duke
2. UCLA
3. UNC
4. Kentucky
5. Arizona
6. Kansas
7. UConn
8. Ga Tech

--Jason "are there other contenders?" Evans

feldspar
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Richard Jefferson, Jason Terry, Andre Igoudala, Channing Frye, Luke Walton, Jordan Hill... quite a good team. Not as good as the Duke team, but they would likely challenge Carolina.

Miles Simon was no slouch, either.

watzone
11-07-2011, 04:17 PM
As some of you know I am a sponsor for the upcoming Clash in Cameron event featuring the nations toip HS stars. I have been working with Belid Sports and the guys at NC Pro Am and I am happy to break the news that the Duke vs UNC Alumni game will be on the campus of NCCU on November 17th. Now you guys have a big heads up here, so if you want to go to the game, buy tickets to the NCCU womens basketball game on the same day, like five eminutes ago. Read this article for more - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/11/breaking-news-duke-vs-unc-alumni-game-officially-scheduled/ I will keep you posted on both events. It should be fun.

JasonEvans
11-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Miles Simon was no slouch, either.

Huh? He has been retired from pro basketball for many years. Plus, his pro career was lousy.

This is a hypothetical matchup of current NBA players from various schools. If we could include historical players, I would pick Kansas (Wilt in the middle) and UNC (Jordan on the outside) as the top 2 seeds... no question about it.

-Jason "I have spent waaaay too much time today researching NBA players from various schools -- ya'll better appreciate the effort ;) " Evans

slower
11-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Huh? He has been retired from pro basketball for many years. Plus, his pro career was lousy.

This is a hypothetical matchup of current NBA players from various schools. If we could include historical players, I would pick Kansas (Wilt in the middle) and UNC (Jordan on the outside) as the top 2 seeds... no question about it.

-Jason "I have spent waaaay too much time today researching NBA players from various schools -- ya'll better appreciate the effort ;) " Evans

Either SI or ESPN (I want to say SI) conducted a mythical alumni tournament a few years ago. I forget who won, but it was either UCLA, Kansas, or UNC, I think. This was all-time teams, of course. Fairly sure that Kansas (Wilt, Manning, Pierce, Jojo White, Hinrich, etc.) won it. But I would have been most entertained by LSU (Shaq, Pistol Pete, Chris Jackson, Bob Pettit, etc). And Georgetown's front court would have boasted Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, and Hibbert - yikes.

Lord Ash
11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Booooo at it being at NC Central. That isn't Duke or Carolina. It should be in Cameron or the Dome.

MartyClark
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
What's the line on this game? Not who wins but whether the game takes place. Does anyone else think that the players cave and take the owner's offer this week?

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2011, 05:56 PM
What's the line on this game? Not who wins but whether the game takes place. Does anyone else think that the players cave and take the owner's offer this week?
Even if they did, there still won't be any NBA games played in the month of November.

MartyClark
11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Even if they did, there still won't be any NBA games played in the month of November.

I agree, but if they reach an agreement this week, I think it's unlikely the game will be played. The players will be interested in getting to camp and collecting a salary. I think its unlikely that the teams would allow the players under contract to play in this game. All speculation on my part.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I agree, but if they reach an agreement this week, I think it's unlikely the game will be played. The players will be interested in getting to camp and collecting a salary. I think its unlikely that the teams would allow the players under contract to play in this game. All speculation on my part.
You are probably right, so crossing my fingers. Also crossing fingers that it will be recorded for posterity; it doesn't seem likely that it would be televised live but I'd love to see a replay of it.

Indoor66
11-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Rupp Arena?
Allen Fieldhouse?
Hinkle Fieldhouse?
The Forum?

Madison Square Garden, where else?

scottdude8
11-07-2011, 08:52 PM
More details will be in The Chronicle tomorrow, but we have confirmed that the game will take place and that the Duke roster will include Kyrie and Nolan, amongst many others. Take a look here—

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2011/11/07/breaking-duke-north-carolina-alumni-game-confirmed/

Acymetric
11-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Will there be tickets sold in advance, at the door, or is it sort of a first come first serve?

J4Kop99
11-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Although I would still be very excited for a game, having it not be in either CIS or the DD would be a let down. And if the Players do end up accepting the deal, I highly doubt this game would still take place.

Should be fun though. We will see how it shapes up...

AlaskanAssassin
11-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Ah! If only jason williams would be playing, instead of coaching. If only. Let's hope Battier, Dunleavy, Hill, among others decide to partake. Nevertheless, it will be exciting!

CameronBornAndBred
11-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Ah! If only jason williams would be playing, instead of coaching. If only. Let's hope Battier, Dunleavy, Hill, among others decide to partake. Nevertheless, it will be exciting!
Even if they don't play, I'd love to hear about these guys (along with a bunch of heels) crowding the stands and adding to the atomosphere.

Bluedevil114
11-08-2011, 07:49 AM
I have no idea if their season has started yet but I would love to see the Alaskan Assassin back in a Duke uniform along with Boozer and Battier.

UrinalCake
11-08-2011, 09:12 AM
You can't really have it at Cameron or the Dean Dome if you're only going to have one game, it wouldn't be fair to both teams. I was actually thinking the RBC center would be a nice neutral location, but I hate that building and plus I think State fans would all collectively jump off of a bridge.

Bluedevil114, I believe Trajan retired from international competition a year or two ago. Maybe he and JJ could have a three-point shootout against Wayne Ellington and, I dunno, Shammod Williams? (Wow, they really don't have any shooting guards). Then Gerald Henderson and Dahntae Jones could have a dunk contest against Vince Carter and Jerry Stackhouse.

dukelilsis
11-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Being a one and done game, I can understand not having it at Cameron or the Dean Dome. I think a very logical venue would have been the Greensboro Coliseum. These are the two power house teams of the ACC and the Greensboro Coliseum has hosted so many ACC Tournaments (I think more than any other venue but I may be mistaken) so it seems only appropriate that the game take place there. It would definitely sell out. Either way, I'm just going to go ahead and say it, I'd rather see this game take place than see the NBA reach an agreement. Sue me. ;)

NovaScotian
11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
As some of you know I am a sponsor for the upcoming Clash in Cameron event featuring the nations toip HS stars. I have been working with Belid Sports and the guys at NC Pro Am and I am happy to break the news that the Duke vs UNC Alumni game will be on the campus of NCCU on November 17th. Now you guys have a big heads up here, so if you want to go to the game, buy tickets to the NCCU womens basketball game on the same day, like five eminutes ago. Read this article for more - http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/11/breaking-news-duke-vs-unc-alumni-game-officially-scheduled/ I will keep you posted on both events. It should be fun.

the nc central site isn't selling any tickets for a women's game on the 17th. do we have to call? or should we just get there real early?

watzone
11-08-2011, 10:25 AM
the nc central site isn't selling any tickets for a women's game on the 17th. do we have to call? or should we just get there real early?

The reason is that only season ticket holders will be honored. The idea is to keep scalpers from buying up the tickets and laying them on you for a crazy amount. They are working on the logistics and I will hear something soon in that I have broke every bit of news on this. It's frustrating not getting credit and then some link others who followed up after the fact and still didn't get all the info correct. I am getting use to that though. Anyhow, it looks like getting there early is the key. As I said, I work closely with these guys on this and you will even see a BDN banner. Everybody I have worked with has the players best interest at heart and some of the proceeds will go to good places. I will have more on that and some more exciting news later but have football and basketball PC's to attend. Somewhere in between that I hope to share some more good news for it is in the works. JWill, FTR, will no be able to participate and tickets should be reasonable. Good luck to all scoring seats.

aubs0624
11-08-2011, 10:54 AM
http://www2.nbc17.com/sports/durham-county/2011/nov/08/unc-vs-duke-alumni-game-feature-basketball-stars-ar-1586887/

"Tickets for the almuni showdown will go on sale Friday, Nov. 11 through Bleid Sports or NC Central. Prices for the tickets have yet to be determined."

MartyClark
11-09-2011, 05:10 PM
It's apparently postponed. I'm not sure what this means.

NovaScotian
11-10-2011, 03:24 PM

what? no! where did you hear this?

NSDukeFan
11-10-2011, 06:51 PM

I think it means they are not playing the game as previosly scheduled but may play it at a later time. (;