PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC 11/7-11/13

pfrduke
11-07-2011, 12:05 PM
First, off, I can't tell you how exciting it is to be writing these posts again. It seems both like it's been a long offseason since Arizona couldn't miss, and yet somehow the start of the season has snuck up on us (at least, it has on me). The 2012 season officially begins tonight with first round action in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic, but no ACC teams are participating and there's no ACC action until Friday. All that said, let's see how everyone tips it off - as always, all ranks are Pomeroy as of the date of posting.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are dark.

Friday starts the season for 8 of 12, including every team on Tobacco road. The lead game is basketball on a boat, as UNC and Michigan State face off on the USS Carl Vinson in San Diego. Everybody else is playing at home. Wake Forest hosts a Loyola (Md) squad coming off a 15-15 season and a 5th place finish in the MAAC (aka, a better season than Wake had). Miami gets Tennessee Tech, a 20-game winner from last season whose top scorers and rebounders are all back for the senior seasons - they were the pre-season pick to finish second in the OVC. NC State plays host to UNC-Asheville, also a 20-game winner last year and the pre-season pick to win the Big South. Florida State takes on Jacksonville, yet another 20-win team last year, picked this year to finish 3rd (behind Belmont) in the Atlantic Sun. And, of course, Duke plays host to Belmont in the mainland version of the Maui Invitational; the Bruins are coming off of a 30-5 season, are picked again to win the Atlantic Sun, and may be stalking the top 25 for much, if not all, of the season. We talked at some length in the off-season about how poor the ACC's scheduling was last season - taking on mid-majors with some degree of teeth is a step in the right direction. Clemson and Georgia Tech missed the memo a bit, though, as they play Gardner-Webb (11-21 last year, picked to finish 10th in the Big South), and Florida A&M (12-20 last year, picked to finish last in the MEAC).

[3]North Carolina in San Diego vs. [24]Michigan State
[156]Wake Forest hosts [148]Loyola Md.
[25]Miami hosts [163]Tennessee Tech
[65]NC States hosts [157]UNC-Asheville
[28]Florida State hosts [151]Jacksonville
[35]Clemson hosts [310]Gardner-Webb
[85]Georgia Tech hosts [321]Florida A&M
[4]Duke hosts [27]Belmont

Saturday introduces this season's Virginia Tech squad, who is already several men down and firmly on the bubble. They face an East Tennessee State squad that finished second to Belmont last year in the A-Sun with 24 wins and is picked to do the same again this season. ETSU also had more postseason wins last season than did the Hokies. Duke is also back in action for what could (knocking firmly on wood) by the Knight-tier. Although I think it's safe to say this - if one of Duke's first two opponents keeps K from tying Knight in the first two games, it won't be Presbyterian, who figures to be the worst team Duke plays all season.

[52]Virginia Tech hosts [152]East Tennessee State
[4]Duke hosts [254]Presbyterian

Sunday puts two more teams in action for the first time as Virginia and Maryland take to the court. Both teams have what should be easy contests - for Maryland, they face a UNC-Wilmington team that has come a long way down from the squad that was a Drew Nicholas buzzer beater away from taking out the Terps in the first round of the NCAAs way back when Maryland was the defending champion. Not that Maryland has completely avoided a similar fall itself - to say the very least, this figures not to be a championship caliber season in College Park. By the way, pay no mind if Maryland has 10 wins going into conference play - they play 7 opponents picked to finish 210th or worse in the country. Virginia is a bit of a trendy sleeper pick with Mike Scott back for another senior season. A match up against SC State, probably one of the worst 30 teams in the country, won't tell us much one way or the other. UNC travels to UNC-Asheville in a stop-over game on the way home from San Diego (I kid), while NC State kicks off the Legends Classic by hosting Morehead State, another mid-major that could show signs of friskiness.

[88]Virginia hosts [319]South Carolina State
[3]North Carolina at [157]UNC-Asheville
[65]NC State hosts [172]Morehead State
[47]Maryland hosts [234]UNC-Wilmington

Bob Green
11-07-2011, 02:27 PM
The lead game is basketball on a boat...

I'll apologize upfront as I'm sure many will view my comment as nitpicking, and many more will point out alliteration, but my naval background will not allow me to let this pass. It is not a damn boat, it is a ship. Repeat after me, it is a ship! :)

devildeac
11-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I'll apologize upfront as I'm sure many will view my comment as nitpicking, and many more will point out alliteration, but my naval background will not allow me to let this pass. It is not a damn boat, it is a ship. Repeat after me, it is a ship! :)

And I hope the Spartans and their fans shout at the 'heels to abandon ship.

sagegrouse
11-07-2011, 02:57 PM

And anticipating the next faux pas, it is not a "basketball floor;" it is a "basketball deck."

sagegrouse

pfrduke
11-07-2011, 03:01 PM

I won't say one way or the other whether I would have known the boat/ship distinction if asked, but I will say that calling it "basketball on a boat" was intentional, so as to refer to the contest diminutively as a little dig against the Heels. Far be it from me to forgo an opportunity to get in my digs where I can.

[that said, I do think the idea of playing a game on an aircraft carrier on Veterans' Day is pretty darn cool]

ForkFondler
11-07-2011, 03:04 PM

wiki: "Ships are generally distinguished from boats based on size and cargo or passenger capacity."

So, it's a big boat. :D

JasonEvans
11-07-2011, 03:10 PM
So, it's a big boat. :D

Sorry, I just cannot resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8

-Jason "one of the best lines in movie history!" Evans

Newton_14
11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I am definitely slow and wait for it... "missed the boat" on the UNC/Mich St game, but I did not know until last week that they literally were going to play the game on the flight deck for a true outdoor game. I somehow assumed the game was going to be played below deck. Adjust those free throws for the wind boys! They do have a backup plan to play the game below deck if weather forces the issue.

I just have one request for Mich State: Guys, can you at least make it to the first TV timeout before going down double digits, and keep the final margin within 20? I mean you've only laid down and played dead for UNC 4 times in a row now including once in a National Title game practice session.

Somehow I get the feeling my request will fall on deaf ears. Score at the first TV timeout: UNC 22 Mich St 6. Final Score: UNC 96 Mich St 58