PDA

View Full Version : FB: NC State 13, UNC-CH 0 (five straight)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-05-2011, 02:38 PM
This is turning into quite a game. Carolina couldn't get a first down until about 22 seconds remained in the first half. Giovanni Bernard was a non factor in the first half. State intercepted a touchdown pass early in the third quarter. The score is State 13, Carolina zip. :cool:

mkline09
11-05-2011, 02:39 PM
This is turning into quite a game. Carolina couldn't get a first down until about 22 seconds remained in the first half. Giovanni Bernard was a non factor in the first half. State intercepted a touchdown pass early in the third quarter. The score is State 13, Carolina zip. :cool:

Just what I like to hear. Go Pack!

JasonEvans
11-05-2011, 04:24 PM
The game is a final and State has won 13-0.

Have to wonder if Withers has much of a chance of getting the job. Being bowl eligible is important, and they have achieved that, but after the fabulous 5-1 start, they have lost 3 out of 4 with a very tough assignment next week at Va Tech. Lose that game and I think Withers only shot at the job is a slew of other folks turning it down.

-Jason "State really shoved Withers comments this past week down his throat -- did Withers and TO'B shake hands at game's end?" Evans

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-05-2011, 04:31 PM

Have to wonder if Withers has much of a chance of getting the job. Being bowl eligible is important, and they have achieved that, but after the fabulous 5-1 start, they have lost 3 out of 4 with a very tough assignment next week at Va Tech. Lose that game and I think Withers only shot at the job is a slew of other folks turning it down.

-Jason "State really shoved Withers comments this past week down his throat -- did Withers and TO'B shake hands at game's end?" Evans
In addition to losing recent games, Withers has made poor choices in his public comments .... but perhaps the first hint of his values was honoring Butch at the first game and giving him the game ball..... then defending his actions as not being inappropriate.

moonpie23
11-05-2011, 05:14 PM
the carolina way.....talk smack about the opponent's academics when they are under investigation for academic FRAUD, then lose to them and get skunked...

priceless...

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-05-2011, 05:23 PM
In addition to being the fifth win over Carolina in five years, this is the first time State shutout Carolina since 1960.

CDu
11-05-2011, 06:46 PM

I don't think Withers was going to be re-hired even with a win today.

Yes, they did. And it wasn't even the quick half-hearted shake. They didn't spend a lot of time chatting together, but they shook in a manner that was completely un-noteworthy.

devildeac
11-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Looks like TOB and his guys followed their syllabus well and withers and his ship of fools couldn't find theirs. Oh, wait a minute...

moonpie23
11-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I don't think Withers was going to be re-hired even with a win today.

i think he pretty much sealed his fate when he gave that game ball to BD

moonpie23
11-05-2011, 07:55 PM
y'all should head over to IC for some depression.......

Kimist
11-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Several folks got a (deserved) chuckle out of this posted on the WRAL sports boards:

" Message from the flagship: SOS ... SOS ... blub, blub, blub "

For my 2¢ worth, I especially enjoyed the State beatdown of unc today after the (typical unc?) comments made by Withers earlier in the week.

Whatever already very slim chances Withers had of getting the head coach job definitely crashed and burned within the past week. Karma?

k

Newton_14
11-05-2011, 09:29 PM

Yeah, it has been awhile since a coaches bad decision to provide bulletin board material blew up in his face so badly. Before all this, there was no reason to think State would have much of a chance today based on how the two teams were playing so far this year. I think Withers made a horrible move and inspired the State kids. Also, the UNC RB stated after the game that his teammates took this game far too lightly. The evidently thought it was going to be an easy win.

Regarding the handshake, it was a bit weird. Prior to the game, the two coaches met at mid-field and did the extended handshake, with Withers placing his other hand on TOB's shoulder. They smiled and chatted with Withers doing much of the talking. After the game the handshake lasted about .8 seconds, with each knodding their head then quickly running the other way.

O'Brien stated after the game that it was nothing personal, and that he was simply standing up for his school. He probably crossed the line with the comment about paying players but I am glad he said what he did. It is high time programs are held accountable by everyone, including their peers, for blatantly breaking the rules.

Acymetric
11-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Crossed the line? Nah. It was a slight misstatement since unc wasn't paying directly but players were getting paid. The signs at the game were priceless.

Newton_14
11-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Crossed the line? Nah. It was a slight misstatement since unc wasn't paying directly but players were getting paid. The signs at the game were priceless.

Yeah, I mostly agree with you Acy.. What I meant there was from a politically correct point of view with the comments coming from a coach. Like I said, I am darn glad he said it, political correctness be damned. I just feel most coaches would say the comment crossed the line. As for the actual payments, if Wichard was providing the travel money to the kids via Blake, then I feel it is an accurate statement. Blake was on the staff and O'Brien was referring to the staff with his comments. Also, I will never believe the tutor paid the $3500 in parking tickets. That got brushed under the rug by the media but someone other than the tutor paid that bill, the question is who?

Olympic Fan
11-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Jason, I think that Withers never had a real chance to be retained ... maybe if he had won the ACC and finished in the top 10, but realistically, he was always a one-year coach.

The fact is he is part of the Butch Davis legacy and whether you agree with it or not, Holden Thorpe is doing his best to erase that legacy. He brought in a new AD to hire a new coach. Withers wasn't going to get the job anyway. It's just MHO, but I think that's what was behind the whole giving-Butch-the-game-ball thing -- if Withers thought he had a chance to keep the job, he wouldn't have gone out of his way to aggravate the guy calling the shots. But since he knew he didn't have a chance, why not honor the guy who hired you and stick it to the guy who fired him?

The 5-1 start was an illusion based on a weak schedule. UNC's 6-4 record now is a fair representation of the quality of team. On paper, they lose at Va Tech and beat Duke to finish 7-5 (naturally, I'd love to stick them with a 6-6 finish). That ought to earn them a trip to Washington for the Eagle Bank Bowl.

It will be interesting to see who Bubba Cunningham hires ... all I know is that it won't be Everett Withers 9and it wouldn't have been even if he had beaten NC State).

mkline09
11-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Jason, I think that Withers never had a real chance to be retained ... maybe if he had won the ACC and finished in the top 10, but realistically, he was always a one-year coach.

The fact is he is part of the Butch Davis legacy and whether you agree with it or not, Holden Thorpe is doing his best to erase that legacy. He brought in a new AD to hire a new coach. Withers wasn't going to get the job anyway. It's just MHO, but I think that's what was behind the whole giving-Butch-the-game-ball thing -- if Withers thought he had a chance to keep the job, he wouldn't have gone out of his way to aggravate the guy calling the shots. But since he knew he didn't have a chance, why not honor the guy who hired you and stick it to the guy who fired him?

The 5-1 start was an illusion based on a weak schedule. UNC's 6-4 record now is a fair representation of the quality of team. On paper, they lose at Va Tech and beat Duke to finish 7-5 (naturally, I'd love to stick them with a 6-6 finish). That ought to earn them a trip to Washington for the Eagle Bank Bowl.

It will be interesting to see who Bubba Cunningham hires ... all I know is that it won't be Everett Withers 9and it wouldn't have been even if he had beaten NC State).

Couldn't agree with this anymore than I do. He had no shot. Thorp made that clear when he appologized for his rather untimely and ill advised comments regarding the "Flag ship" school. I mean if your Chancelor can't get behind you on that, despite the implied slight on your rival school, you likely never really had a chance to keep the job. Withers did little to separate himself from Butch Davis, especially after he honored him. It seems like he is a do before think kind of guy which can get you into a lot of trouble and fair or not, perhaps he never really deserved a real shot at the head coaching gig anyway because of that tendancy.

davekay1971
11-06-2011, 11:29 AM
It may also be that Withers' act of honoring Butch showed the coach is smart enough that his long term prospects are better off by showing loyalty to Butch, not pandering to the UNC administration.

I suspect Withers knew perfectly well when he was elevated to interim head-coach that it was a one year gig, barring a miracle. Withers has no particular reason to be loyal to the UNC administration. Knowing that UNC was likely to let him go and find a non-Butch-affiliated long-term solution after the season, Withers probably figured his best chance at future employment was to be openly loyal to Butch. Butch may very well get hired again somewhere - he did significantly upgrade UNC's talent, he made them nationally relevant (I mean before the scandal) by the creating the impression that UNC had the potential to be an ACC championship contender (even if they never achieved that potential), and, most importantly, he upgraded football related revenues. I am cynical enough to believe that there is a school out there willing to take a chance on him. Withers probably believes so, too.

And even if Withers next job isn't with Butch, loyalty is highly valued in assistant coaches. Head coaches, looking for a good defensive coordinator, will remember that Withers, himself not implicated in the scandal, openly supported his former head coach.

In any case, I was thrilled to see State and TOB shove Withers words, sentiments that are echoed as gospel by the UNC faithful, down the collective Tarheel throat. Moonpie is correct - the IC board made for enjoyable reading after that game.

devildeac
11-06-2011, 02:19 PM
13-0 should make for a lot less crowded water coolers and company meetings tomorrow across the Wolfpack, err, tarheel state, too.;)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-06-2011, 03:20 PM
13-0 should make for a lot less crowded water coolers and company meetings tomorrow across the Wolfpack, err, tarheel state, too.;)

The result of that game has not reduced the number of people wearing faded Carolina gear at Walmart. However, the number of people wearing brand new Wolfpack gear is noticeable today. There were a few folks wearing Alabama gear and others wearing LSU gear as well.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-06-2011, 04:45 PM
The only chance Withers had of being named the next permanent coach at carolina was if he won the conference championship and went to the BCS bowl this year. Now that that isn't happening, let's hope their offense plays as well against us as they did against State! http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

devildeac
11-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Our guest pastor at church today was Thabiti Anyabwile from the Cayman Islands. He is a former NC State student and avid sports fan. He was asked today what his name meant. He said, "roughly translated from Swahili (and I think he stated he learned this from his syllabus:D), it means thirteen to nothing."