PDA

View Full Version : Butler Loses to DII Northern State

dukerules
11-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Hello all, this is my first post here on DBR. I have checked this site for well over a year and I figured I would post this. Butler goes down to a DII school out of South Dakota, Northern State University. I really enjoy this because this is where I go to school. I just wanted to see what everyone else's feelings where about this. Thanks for being a great site and GO DUKE!!!

sagegrouse
11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Hello all, this is my first post here on DBR. I have checked this site for well over a year and I figured I would post this. Butler goes down to a DII school out of South Dakota, Northern State University. I really enjoy this because this is where I go to school. I just wanted to see what everyone else's feelings where about this. Thanks for being a great site and GO DUKE!!!

Welcome to DBR. We are happy to have you, especially when you bring interesting tidbits to the site. -- sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
11-02-2011, 09:33 PM

Welcome, please post more often.

Knocking off Butler is great for any program. Great coach, played in the last two NCs. Not sure what they have this year, may be a rebuilding year. But Brad Stevens is the real deal.

Nice win for the Wolves!

loran16
11-02-2011, 09:43 PM
2 years ago, Syracuse lost it's D2 exhibition game (I forget to who). It then surprised most observers by managing to dominate the big east and grab a clear #1 seed (It went down in the S16 to Butler), and was clearly one of the top 3 teams in the nation.

Butler is a team clearly going to be in transition mode from the start....but this doesn't mean they'll fail this year. They have some pretty good players, even without Mack/Howard.

dukerules
11-02-2011, 09:49 PM
2 years ago, Syracuse lost it's D2 exhibition game (I forget to who). It then surprised most observers by managing to dominate the big east and grab a clear #1 seed (It went down in the S16 to Butler), and was clearly one of the top 3 teams in the nation.

Butler is a team clearly going to be in transition mode from the start....but this doesn't mean they'll fail this year. They have some pretty good players, even without Mack/Howard.

I know it does not mean too much for Butler. I was just happy for the Northern State Wolves. Also to help prove your point, Arizona lost to a DII school as well in exhibition this year. I was just shocked that Butler only put up 50 points against a pretty poor defensive Northern State.

J4Kop99
11-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Syracuse lost to Le Moyne.

Gthoma2a
11-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Man, that really disappoints me. It is always nice to see Butler look good. I guess they had to come down sometime, but I am still not pleased with it. Hopefully they improve. They reminded me of us when we started making our move up.

revmel53
11-03-2011, 07:28 AM
I sat with Brad Stevens in his office before his team's first practice on October 15. He was excited about the upcoming season, though he pointed out that seven of his players were newcomers (albeit ones he had recruited). His team didn't look sharp on offense, but they are incredibly gifted defensively, and committed to that defense. Things will be all right. He looked at this season as a challenge offensviely, but with Senior point guard Ronald Norad running things, I believe even the offense will get moving.

DukeGirl4ever
11-03-2011, 08:37 AM
I was just shocked that Butler only put up 50 points against a pretty poor defensive Northern State.

Did you watch the National Championship game last year? :D

butlerway
11-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Man, that really disappoints me. It is always nice to see Butler look good. I guess they had to come down sometime, but I am still not pleased with it. Hopefully they improve. They reminded me of us when we started making our move up.

It was a great win for the Northern State program, but as a Butler fan I'm not worried at all. You could tell the freshman were really nervous. Plus our best offensive player on the perimeter was out and there is really no one else to pick up that slack right now. It could definitely be a rough start again this year (it was last year too if anyone remembers), but the talent is there and the coaching staff is obviously there so this team will be pretty good when it's all over with. Then next year we only really lose Nored and have Clarke eligible so who knows, you might be playing us deep in the tournament again in the near future!

OldPhiKap
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
It was a great win for the Northern State program, but as a Butler fan I'm not worried at all. You could tell the freshman were really nervous. Plus our best offensive player on the perimeter was out and there is really no one else to pick up that slack right now. It could definitely be a rough start again this year (it was last year too if anyone remembers), but the talent is there and the coaching staff is obviously there so this team will be pretty good when it's all over with. Then next year we only really lose Nored and have Clarke eligible so who knows, you might be playing us deep in the tournament again in the near future!

I hope both teams go deep, and hope they do not meet unless it is in the Finals.

devilsadvocate85
11-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I hope both teams go deep, and hope they do not meet unless it is in the Finals.

My daughter is a freshman at Butler and I'll be attending Butler's 2nd exhibition game on Saturday evening. I'll post some comments after.

devilsadvocate85
11-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Obviously Butler was much more effective on offense in their final exhibition game Saturday night. 53% shooting from the field overall (53% on three pointers as well) and only 10 turnovers will go a long way. Admittedly Franklin did not attempt to pressure, but this game should give the Bulldogs a positive mindset to open the season.

Seeing a game in Hinkle Fioustouse and getting our picture taken with Blue II completed a great day in Indianapolis.