PDA

View Full Version : some notes on Duke football press conference, 11-1

jimsumner
11-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Team getting healthier. Daniels and Harding say they are near 100%.

Much discussion of Snyderwine. Cut says he's developed a mechanical flaw. He's looking up too soon, to see if he made the kicks. You golfers can sympathize. Working to correct that.

Play-calling. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth on this and other message boards. But it's a bit more nuanced than it appears. Duke is trying to throw more often down field. Lots of the short passes are to secondary, even tertiary receivers. Renfree has about 2.5 seconds to make a risk-reward assessment. Is the primary receiver open? The secondary receiver? Is the pass protection holding up? Cut says Duke has lots of downfield threats and "opportunities exist. We've talked a lot about taking shots."

The Boone package. Duke seems convinced this is a good idea. Cut wants to get his back-up QB in early. If the starter is injured late in the game, he doesn't want a cold QB coming in. Get him a series or two early. Duke is doing that with Boone.

Despite, what the UVA QB may think about his situation, there is absolutely no hint that Renfree is unhappy about this. He understands what Duke is trying to do.

Cut made public what some of us already knew. Alex King lost his father a few weeks ago, this making his recent performances even more impressive. His three punts last week were downed on the 11, 4 and 4. A great job for anyone but for a walk-on dealing with a personal tragedy, that's even more impressive. Kudos for King.

Cut calls Matt Daniels a first-team All-American. "An incredible year as a player and leader."

Cut on Duke's progress. 'We're playing really good football. That gets lost when you lose. We're maybe playing harder than anyone out there. We don't have much margin for error. We're closing the talent gap but we're not there yet."

Don't look for Snead, Connette or Lee Butler this year. All played as true freshmen and all are eligibile for an injury redshirt.

CameronBornAndBred
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
His three punts last week were downed on the 11, 4 and 4. A great job for anyone but for a walk-on dealing with a personal tragedy, that's even more impressive. Kudos for King.

Thanks for the reminder on those punts. King and the guys downfield did an amazing job with those. The best parts of the game sometimes get buried in the complaints after a loss. (I'm totally guilty.)

Bob Green
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Don't look for Snead, Connette or Lee Butler this year. All played as true freshmen and all are eligibile for an injury redshirt.

Every cloud has a silver lining. Having Lee Butler back next year sounds very good to me and it has been much discussed that Snead redshirting would make-up for not having recruited a running back in 2011 or so far in 2012.

mkline09
11-01-2011, 04:10 PM
That is really a shame to hear that about Alex King's dad. It is never easy to play anything peewee, Pop Warner, High School and certainly not college sports with something like that weighing on your mind. And then to do it so well my hats off to the kid. He has had some great punts of late and definitely deserves some recognition for it.

chrishoke
11-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Jim, great stuff as alaways. Did anyone ask if Cut thought ruynning the 2 QB system is hurting Sean's confidence given his reduced productivity this year?

jimsumner
11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Jim, great stuff as alaways. Did anyone ask if Cut thought ruynning the 2 QB system is hurting Sean's confidence given his reduced productivity this year?

I don't think anyone phrased it that way. But there was some discussion. Cut said that everyone knew what was going to happen going in, he didn't think the Boone package disrupted Renfree's rhythm and that Renfree was on board with it. Renfree has been asked that question a number of times and has never betrayed anything that seemed to me to be frustration or disgruntlement. I can't completely deny the possibility that he's parroting the party line but it doesn't seem so to me and I've heard nothing from other sources to suggest this is a problem. I just don't think there's anything there.

Truth be told, I'm not completely sold on pulling Renfree for Boone (or Connette). But it has proven successful on occasion and there are some rational reasons for throwing in a change-up once in awhile.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Jim, great stuff as alaways. Did anyone ask if Cut thought running the 2 QB system is hurting Sean's confidence given his reduced productivity this year?
Roper addressed that at the Blue Devil Club 2 weeks ago and said that Sean didn't have a problem with it, "whatever is best for the team". Not sure everyone believed him 100%, but that's what he said.

I'm all for Boone getting a couple of series in the 2nd quarter of the game, as long as it includes a significant amount of passing plays and isn't skewed to his running the ball. That way, when he comes in to run the ball, and let's face it, he's a far better runner than Renfree, the defense has to play "more honest" and can't key on him as much. A couple of long gainers/touchdowns to Helfet and the Killer V's and they'll be more concerned with Boone's passing than him gaining 3 yards and the first down. :cool:

duke79
11-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Roper addressed that at the Blue Devil Club 2 weeks ago and said that Sean didn't have a problem with it, "whatever is best for the team". Not sure everyone believed him 100%, but that's what he said.

I'm all for Boone getting a couple of series in the 2nd quarter of the game, as long as it includes a significant amount of passing plays and isn't skewed to his running the ball. That way, when he comes in to run the ball, and let's face it, he's a far better runner than Renfree, the defense has to play "more honest" and can't key on him as much. A couple of long gainers/touchdowns to Helfet and the Killer V's and they'll be more concerned with Boone's passing than him gaining 3 yards and the first down. :cool:

Maybe Coach Cut should starting playing the "single wing" like old time football and put BOTH Boone and Renfree into the game at the same time and then let the defense guess as to whom the ball will be hiked to. Could open up multiple possibilities for passing or running.

mkline09
11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Maybe Coach Cut should starting playing the "single wing" like old time football and put BOTH Boone and Renfree into the game at the same time and then let the defense guess as to whom the ball will be hiked to. Could open up multiple possibilities for passing or running.

Not sure about single wing but I wouldn't mind seeing some packages with Jamison Crowder in the backfield. His speed can be a real weapon and as a receiver he isn't at best third in the line of progression maybe fourth when you include the running backs.

airowe
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Good stuff as always Jim. Thanks for the report.

I'm not big on the Boone (or Connette) Package either.

The Boone package. Duke seems convinced this is a good idea. Cut wants to get his back-up QB in early. If the starter is injured late in the game, he doesn't want a cold QB coming in. Get him a series or two early. Duke is doing that with Boone.

But this just seems like such a silly line of reasoning for doing so. He wants to play Boone early in case Renfree gets hurt? That doesn't make much sense to me at all.

Don't get me wrong, I think Anthony is very talented and brings an element that Sean obviously doesn't, but to me that is a cop out. I've heard him say he likes Anthony running the ball in the red zone because there is one extra blocker and I understand that completely.

Renfree has been asked that question a number of times and has never betrayed anything that seemed to me to be frustration or disgruntlement. I can't completely deny the possibility that he's parroting the party line but it doesn't seem so to me and I've heard nothing from other sources to suggest this is a problem. I just don't think there's anything there.

There was a quote given to Shawn Krest, CBS' Rapid Reports guy, that lead me to thinking maybe Sean was starting to get frustrated.

Renfree said he "sometimes" knows whether he's sharing a series with Boone & sometimes "they tell me right before he comes in"

http://twitter.com/#!/KrestDukeCBS/status/130380372977524736

However, I talked to Shawn (Krest not Renfree) about it today and he thinks Sean (Renfree) may have been intentionally short with him as it was right after the game. I'm curious to see how it progresses.

Great to hear about Josh, Lee, and Brandon. I'm glad none of them played as true freshmen so they can get an extra year now that they need it.

CameronBlue
11-01-2011, 07:35 PM

A question that I don't think has been answered and perhaps can't be revealed by the coaches but just what IS the Boone package? Maybe it's "what you see is what you get" used in rushing situations with an occasional passing attempt tossed in? Is Boone allowed to check off at the line? What's the strategy, an attempt to force the defense to adjust and keep them off-balance? Harding and Kyle Hill have taken some heat for illegal procedure penalties at inopportune times--one by Harding with Boone at QB if memory serves--could there be timing issues presented by having to adjust to the idiosyncrasies of two different QBs? My arguments against the Boone package are these:

1) The offense seems more predictable when he's in and Duke's big play capability is negated.
2) A rushing attempt by Boone potentially takes away a rushing attempt by a more capable back like Dez who seems to be rounding into form.
3) It potentially undermines Sean which if true is not a gripe apt to be heard in public.
4) Haven't looked up his 40 times but he doesn't seem unusually quick to the hole, kindof average actually.
5) Is it practical to try to develop the talents of 2 QBs in a 12-game season?

I guess I just don't understand what Cut is trying to accomplish with the 2QB rotation.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Great to hear about Josh, Lee, and Brandon. I'm glad none of them played as true freshmen so they can get an extra year now that they need it.
ALL of them played as true freshman. That is why they can take an injury redshirt year now!

airowe
11-01-2011, 08:37 PM
ALL of them played as true freshman. That is why they can take an injury redshirt year now!

Thank you. That's exactly what I meant...

formerdukeathlete
11-01-2011, 09:48 PM
A question that I don't think has been answered and perhaps can't be revealed by the coaches but just what IS the Boone package? Maybe it's "what you see is what you get" used in rushing situations with an occasional passing attempt tossed in? Is Boone allowed to check off at the line? What's the strategy, an attempt to force the defense to adjust and keep them off-balance? Harding and Kyle Hill have taken some heat for illegal procedure penalties at inopportune times--one by Harding with Boone at QB if memory serves--could there be timing issues presented by having to adjust to the idiosyncrasies of two different QBs? My arguments against the Boone package are these:

1) The offense seems more predictable when he's in and Duke's big play capability is negated.
2) A rushing attempt by Boone potentially takes away a rushing attempt by a more capable back like Dez who seems to be rounding into form.
3) It potentially undermines Sean which if true is not a gripe apt to be heard in public.
4) Haven't looked up his 40 times but he doesn't seem unusually quick to the hole, kindof average actually.
5) Is it practical to try to develop the talents of 2 QBs in a 12-game season?

I guess I just don't understand what Cut is trying to accomplish with the 2QB rotation.

Renfree is the fastest QB on the roster, then followed by Connette, then either Schroeder or Boone. Boone ran a 5.2 40 at one of the more important combines during high school and this limited his recruiting somewhat, so did his height. He was a two star by scout. He committed to Duke early on, but continued to shop for more offers, which did not happen, really. His height, maybe 5-11, may help in his running. Boone cuts, changes direction well, maybe better than Connette. But, there is no real speed there.

Renfree has all the potential, seems to be getting killed by predictable playcalling. He probably needs to roll out of the pocket more often. We may need to play with two tight ends to offer better blocking pass protection. Renfree is taking huge shots, many of them late and dirty.

I think in the whole QB observation / debate, we should hope that Cutcliffe can bring in a really top QB in the 2013 class, something in the order of another Renfree or even an Adrew Luck. I think it will only be with exceptional QB play that Cutcliffe will be able to take the Duke Program to where it can be, upper tier in Conference. Maybe that requires a different OC.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Renfree is the fastest QB on the roster, then followed by Connette, then either Schroeder or Boone. Boone ran a 5.2 40 at one of the more important combines during high school and this limited his recruiting somewhat, so did his height. He was a two star by scout. He committed to Duke early on, but continued to shop for more offers, which did not happen, really. His height, maybe 5-11, may help in his running. Boone cuts, changes direction well, maybe better than Connette. But, there is no real speed there.

Renfree has all the potential, seems to be getting killed by predictable playcalling. He probably needs to roll out of the pocket more often. We may need to play with two tight ends to offer better blocking pass protection. Renfree is taking huge shots, many of them late and dirty.

I think in the whole QB observation / debate, we should hope that Cutcliffe can bring in a really top QB in the 2013 class, something in the order of another Renfree or even an Adrew Luck. I think it will only be with exceptional QB play that Cutcliffe will be able to take the Duke Program to where it can be, upper tier in Conference. Maybe that requires a different OC.
Renfree has excellent (for a QB) straight ahead speed. Cut told us that and then we saw it last year a couple of times when he broke into the open field before he tore up his knee. His problem now is getting into the open field without getting hit; it doesn't happen very often and he's taken a heckuva beating already this year. We agree on better play calling being needed, and can only hope for a new OC (but don't hold our breath).

Reilly
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=1002&id=810029