PDA

View Full Version : Coach K, Nike, and a bunch of unemployed hoopsters--new commercial

diveonthefloor
10-30-2011, 10:23 PM
http://youtu.be/k1c_It0ekC0

How long will it take the Tarhole faithful to put in a jab: "K has an unfair recruiting advantage again?"

-bdbd
10-30-2011, 10:52 PM
I think that ad is pretty cool! I loved the "flying Devil!" That kinda exposure is all good.

:)

SCMatt33
10-30-2011, 11:07 PM
That was pretty unexpected. They spend 40 seconds of buildup with NBA stars like LeBron, Durant, and Dirk, mixed in with a bunch of random kids, none of whom have any recognizable logos on them, then BOOM, the Devil with Coach K in the back and his Duke jersey clearly visible comes flying across the screen. That's one of those commercials that Duke fans will love and haters will hate.

On another note, I thought it was a pretty good statement on the state of basketball, with the biggest stars on their own in no name clothes and gyms, while college and it's pageantry is all set to go.

moonpie23
10-30-2011, 11:16 PM
awesome!!!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
10-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Duke and K are the clear link between any kid's dream and the NBA.

At least, that's what I got from the spot.

;>)

Black Mambo
10-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Cool commercial.

Admittedly, before clicking on the thread link, I was wondering who the unemployed hoopsters were. Lol, I guess I don't really miss the NBA.

Maybe I will in April.

dukeballboy88
10-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Best Nike Commercial ever...

moonpie23
10-31-2011, 12:13 PM

roy turned it down first.

SmartDevil
10-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Terrific ad....for Nike....and for K.

Portrayed as an indivisible element of the essence of the spirit of basketball.

Let other coaches and schools and fans complain.....the more they complain, the more it underscores and further elevates K's singular greatness.....and burns it ever more indelibly into the public consciousness.

sagegrouse
10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
roy turned it down first.

And the reason was that he couldn't get full control over the Pantone colors. -- sage

davekay1971
10-31-2011, 01:52 PM
I see this commercial as furtehr evidence that K's decision to coach USA Basketball has helped Duke. Not saying that he wouldn't have been in the commerical without coaching the Olympic Team...but the association USA Basketball and the Olympic and FIBA gold medals have given him with the NBA and it's most elite stars (not to mention their well publicized respect for him) is undeniable. Coach managed to build a bridge between himself, Duke University, the best of the NBA, and American basketball, without in ever leaving Duke.

Coach K may never have looked at the USA basketball offer from a marketing standpoint...but it sure has turned into marketing gold.

moonpie23
10-31-2011, 02:36 PM
just checked in over at IC on this thread and all i can say is lol@inside carolina...

those folks are smoking crack....

NSDukeFan
10-31-2011, 03:22 PM
I see this commercial as furtehr evidence that K's decision to coach USA Basketball has helped Duke. Not saying that he wouldn't have been in the commerical without coaching the Olympic Team...but the association USA Basketball and the Olympic and FIBA gold medals have given him with the NBA and it's most elite stars (not to mention their well publicized respect for him) is undeniable. Coach managed to build a bridge between himself, Duke University, the best of the NBA, and American basketball, without in ever leaving Duke.

Coach K may never have looked at the USA basketball offer from a marketing standpoint...but it sure has turned into marketing gold.

I thought it ruined Duke basketball recruiting?;)

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-31-2011, 04:25 PM

Absolutely. K and his assistants can all say they have coached the best talent in the NBA. Durant, Kobe, Wade, Lebron, etc. Oh and Capel can talk up Blake Griffin. My goodness.

Indoor66
10-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Don't you mean EVAHHHH?

J4Kop99
10-31-2011, 06:46 PM
I love that shot of K right after the Devil dunks the ball. Very cool looking commercial.

diveonthefloor
10-31-2011, 07:00 PM
just checked in over at IC on this thread and all i can say is lol@inside carolina...

those folks are smoking crack....

Do you have a link? I'd love to see that....

Sort of also made me think: Could any other college coach be in that commercial and make it effective?
Roy? Nah
Calipari? No way
Calhoun? Ummmm, no.

Indoor66
10-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Do you have a link? I'd love to see that....

Sort of also made me think: Could any other college coach be in that commercial and make it effective?
Roy? Nah
Calipari? No way
Calhoun? Ummmm, no.

Check out inside carowhina here. (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=8181299)

hurleyfor3
10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Duke and K are the clear link between any kid's dream and the NBA.

At least, that's what I got from the spot.

Alternatively, Duke is the highest-level basketball-related entity that is currently in business in this country. As of right now, playing for Coach K in some function is the best that you can do.

Acymetric
10-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Cracked up reading arguments that Calhoun should be considered the face of college basketball over on IC.

On the other hand, there were several extremely reasonable posts there. Wonder if they have been banned yet.

Duvall
10-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Check out inside carowhina here. (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=8181299)

Oh, dear.

]PeteBudko All-American
1275 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Posted: Today 9:58 AM

Re: I'm going to be sick ... another Coach Kommercial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My bet is that if Roy were offered a commercial spot like that, and I'm sure he has (much like DES was) then he would turn it down. For K it's a recruting tool, another means to enrich himself and a way to feed his massive ego.

A recruiting tool *and* a way to make money? Truly Mike Krzyzewski is a villain for our times.

uh_no
10-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Cracked up reading arguments that Calhoun should be considered the face of college basketball over on IC.

Even I had a good laugh at that.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Even I had a good laugh at that.

At one time, there were a number of rational and good posters over at IC.

Must have run most of them off.

The sanctimonious manure over there stinks to high Heaven.

devildeac
10-31-2011, 10:58 PM
At one time, there were a number of rational and good posters over at IC.

Must have run most of them off.

The sanctimonious manure over there stinks to high Heaven.

The rational and good posters to whom you refer at IC must have been all the DBR folks who have been banned from IC over the last several years:D.

mdj
10-31-2011, 11:05 PM
never been on carolina's board before...that thread was hilarious. can you imagine duke having the #1 team in the country (pre season) and spending a few pages discussing how espn/nike/the world was trying to screw us? seems more like maryland than unc to be honest. guys you're unc for goodness sakes don't act like the little brother.

OldPhiKap
10-31-2011, 11:09 PM
The rational and good posters to whom you refer at IC must have been all the DBR folks who have been banned from IC over the last several years:D.

Perhaps.

There are a great number of Carolina fans who understand the history of the conference, respect the rivalry, and can recognize that a rival may have great players and coaches over time even if they do not particularly like them. That is a sign of maturity and comprehension of the sport. I like those types of Carolina (and Duke) fans.

Folks who think it is still funny to compare coaches to rodents, make stale jokes about K's back, or who are so infantile as to think it is clever to spell our university as "d-o-o-k." -- that's another matter. They can go suck on their Helms trophy and lament the fact that Dean is a distant memory to most of them. Grow up.

And I agree 100% with mdj above. They're the undeniable #1 in the country. If this commercial is what has their attention, they need to get a grip. Yikes.

NovaScotian
11-01-2011, 09:03 AM

i have to say, i think this one is actually the best one i've seen in a while
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYDS_MEWPU0

Bluedog
11-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Well, looks like them showing Durant in pickup games is for real. KD just played a flag football game with SigNu at Ok State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IOIa20l6SXo#!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Watch-Kevin-Durant-dominate-an-Oklahoma-S;_ylt=AlExNy2idaZwcCYXTpnED905nYcB?urn=nba-wp10020

Pretty sweet! And this is after playing in the Rucker and Goodman leagues:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Kevin-Durant-goes-all-Kevin-Durant-on-Ruc?urn=nba-wp7074

diveonthefloor
11-02-2011, 10:49 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/917688-nike-basketball-commercial-watch-nike-ad-remind-us-how-much-we-miss-the-nba

Another guy's take on the ad.