PDA

View Full Version : Curry added as captain

jimsumner
10-28-2011, 03:01 PM
From Duke press release

"Duke head men’s basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski announced that Seth Curry has been named a team captain. Curry, a junior from Charlotte, N.C., joins senior Miles Plumlee and junior Ryan Kelly as team captains for the 2011-12 season.

“We knew going into the season that the leadership would be fluid,” said Krzyzewski. “We thought after practices started that Seth would emerge as a leader. He is showing some really good leadership and he deserves this. The leadership of our team is more of a team concept with Miles, Ryan and Seth. I think this will help make us a better team.” "

Billy Dat
10-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Good for Seth, his continued emergence is a great sign. Based on some of the comments from K and the existing captains in some of the media pieces I've been reading/listening to, it seemed like there was a need for a captain's voice and associated authority on the perimeter.

loldevilz
10-28-2011, 03:09 PM
From Duke press release

"Duke head men’s basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski announced that Seth Curry has been named a team captain. Curry, a junior from Charlotte, N.C., joins senior Miles Plumlee and junior Ryan Kelly as team captains for the 2011-12 season.

“We knew going into the season that the leadership would be fluid,” said Krzyzewski. “We thought after practices started that Seth would emerge as a leader. He is showing some really good leadership and he deserves this. The leadership of our team is more of a team concept with Miles, Ryan and Seth. I think this will help make us a better team.” "

Awesome. I think that Coach K showing that he has complete confidence in Curry and will give him the point guard spot for good.

Lord Ash
10-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Good for Seth; I am not surprised at all. However, I do sort of miss the "one captain" approach.

MCFinARL
10-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Just curious--has Duke ever added additional captains before once one or more have already been named? It seems like an odd way to do things. Coach K's comments suggest he was waiting for Seth to show additional leadership in practice, but he was already praising Seth highly after the China trip, along with Ryan and Miles.
On the other hand, it does seem like a good idea, at least in principle, to have a captain in the backcourt if you are going to have more than one captain.Can anyone provide insight here?

SilkyJ
10-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Just curious--has Duke ever added additional captains before once one or more have already been named? It seems like an odd way to do things. Coach K's comments suggest he was waiting for Seth to show additional leadership in practice, but he was already praising Seth highly after the China trip, along with Ryan and Miles.
On the other hand, it does seem like a good idea, at least in principle, to have a captain in the backcourt if you are going to have more than one captain.Can anyone provide insight here?

Pretty sure we added Lee Melch as a captain mid-season or so.

Edit: Looks like it was still pre-season actually (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=206729), similar to the Seth situation.

MCFinARL
10-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Pretty sure we added Lee Melch as a captain mid-season or so.

Edit: Looks like it was still pre-season actually (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=206729), similar to the Seth situation.

Thanks for the info. Thinking about Melchionni makes it pretty clear how someone might earn their way into a captain spot after another captain had already been named.

MChambers
10-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Thinking about Melchionni makes it pretty clear how someone might earn their way into a captain spot after another captain had already been named.
I think Roshown McLeod (another transfer) became a captain during his senior season.

Newton_14
10-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Congrats to Seth. Well deserved. Watching him at CTC and last night it is clear he has stepped up and this is his team. Glad to see it and I feel it will help his confidence.

OldPhiKap
10-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Could not be happier.

Get 'em, Seth!

Wheat/"/"/"
10-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Couldn't this be considered a not so subtle message to Rivers as well?

CDu
10-30-2011, 08:51 PM

I think that would be a reach to suggest. Rivers was never going to be captain as a freshman. If anything, it was a surprise that Curry wasn't named captain from the beginning.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-30-2011, 09:04 PM
I think that would be a reach to suggest. Rivers was never going to be captain as a freshman. If anything, it was a surprise that Curry wasn't named captain from the beginning.

Wasn't suggesting Rivers was under consideration as a captain, just that maybe this was coach K's way of making it clear to Austin the "chain of command", so to speak.

All just my speculation from afar......

Newton_14
10-30-2011, 09:08 PM

I don't think so, no. Austin is very much in the midst of learning the college game, and I don't feel he had any thoughts of being a captain type leader. Seth would have been named a captain much sooner if he were more vocal, and have been more assertive in China. You have to remember, Seth spent all of last year as an under-study to players like Nolan, Kyle, and even Kyrie who was a natural leader. Seth had to step out of his comfort zone much like Singler to take on a leadership role. He has done that imo. Watching him at CTC and last night convinced me he had stepped up and would be the guy the others look to.

I don't think any of that has a thing to do with Austin. Austin is a freshman running his own race. He came in with a ton of hype that will be realized sooner or later. He is a dynamic player who, like Seth, has a role to play. They will be great running mates and I think each are comfortable in their own roles. Seth will be the team leader, but Austin is a better creator off the dribble, which means the ball will be in his hands a lot of times, with the shot clock running down coming off the high pick at the top of the key. I don't think that will bother Seth at all. That said, Seth has shown a unique ability to turn it up a notch with 5 minutes to go in games, and assert himself on offense taking the game over, which won't bother Austin at all. They both have a common goal: WIN

I know some people want so badly for Austin to be a disruptive force to chemistry, or fabricate some kind of Austin vs Seth drama, but I don't see it. I watched them this summer at Central, at CTC and last night, and if there is anything there, they hide it well... I will continue to see it as a non-issue until their is real evidence to the contrary.

OldPhiKap
10-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Not sure a freshman has ever been a captain.

This is Seth's team. That is the message. To everyone, including Seth.

CDu
10-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Wasn't suggesting Rivers was under consideration as a captain, just that maybe this was coach K's way of making it clear to Austin the "chain of command", so to speak.

All just my speculation from afar......

I think the more accurate "message" would be to Curry: "we believe in you as a leader of this team."