PDA

View Full Version : 2011-12 Season Guarantees

Duke of Nashville
10-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Timmy C created this thread last year and I enjoyed it. Since this season appears to have a lot of unknowns I thought it would be fun to put our Guarantees or "known's" into a thread. I'll start off with some ideas of what we will see throughout the season:

Coach K passing Coach Knight in the all-time wins list
A few gasps fromt he crowd as Mason/Miles come oh so close to hitting their head on the backboard
Miles/Mason posterizing a more "alarmingly un-athletic" team
"All Year Dre" getting on spurt of tre's
A signature Duke Floor Slap on Defense
Coach K pumping up the crowd
Quinn Cook giving the crowd a "No Him" salute
Austin Rivers showing why he deserved to be the top ranked recruit coming into CBB
Two Status Checks from OZZIE
Doc Rivers sightings a few rows behind the bench
Analyst saying at least a dozen times how they can't wait to see Syracuse play in CIS
Miles having a very special senior season

Billy Dat
10-28-2011, 03:12 PM
I guarantee my wife will proclaim her displeasure at my perceived violent outbursts and exclamations as I watch Duke games on television.

dbowen
10-28-2011, 03:44 PM
i guarantee my wife will proclaim her displeasure at my perceived violent outbursts and exclamations as i watch duke games on television.

ditto!

hurleyfor3
10-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Hand-wringing over how good unc is

Mass confusion/outrage whenever our games aren't on some sort of national teevee network

Hysteria and panic after a loss, or a win that was closer than it should have been

Umbrage over the musings of some columnist who doesn't like us

In other words, the usual.

superdave
10-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Mass confusion/outrage whenever our games aren't on some sort of national teevee network

Mass flustration over EspnU not being in HD and looking like crap on my teevee! That was my first thought when I saw the schedule. Grrr.

Billy Dat
10-28-2011, 04:25 PM
-There will be at least one time that K, Capel, Collins and Wojo collide heads or hit each other in the face with gesticulating hands, or bump into each other as they integrate Capel into the bench dynamic

-Within the first 5 minutes of every televised game between Nov-Jan, regardless of what is happening on the court, the announcer will remark that Austin Rivers is a huge talent but that he has to learn to play within the team concept. This also holds true for "Seth Curry is just learning how to be a point guard", "One of these Duke bigs needs to establish himself as a go-to scorer", "This Duke team is not a proven defensive unit" and some comment about how the Plumlees must have spent all their free time cooking for their sons or [insert some other comment about

-Josh Hairston will be the most animated figure on the bench

MCFinARL
10-28-2011, 05:13 PM
The first "it's over" post (or thread?) will show up on DBR before the new year.

CameronBlue
10-28-2011, 05:29 PM
A game announcer crediting K for hiring Capel who has made "an obvious difference in the play of the post players" and calling him the "heir apparent" for the head coaching job at Duke.

jv001
10-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Hand-wringing over how good unc is

Hysteria and panic after a loss, or a win that was closer than it should have been

In other words, the usual.

Do you think I need to begin worrying about my unc friends on Sundays telling me how much better unc is that Duke? lol. Go Duke!

msdukie
10-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Duke will wear Nike-bastardized versions of its iconic uniforms in each game.

hurleyfor3
10-29-2011, 11:41 PM

Well, that didn't take long.

jipops
10-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Message board meltdowns due to impatience and somewhat unrealistic expectations. (It could take effort for me to refrain from being the Pot here)

davekay1971
10-30-2011, 12:03 AM
"What's wrong with [insert player name]" and/or "Is [insert player name] in Coach K's doghouse?" posts will crop up. Likely early season nominees are 'Dre, Rivers (should he ever, even one time, not be in the starting lineup), Cook, and any of Mason/Miles/RK as Coach goes through various starting lineup, player combo, and matchup based options over the first 2/3 of the season. Thornton is above suspicion due to his defensive skills, Curry because he's likely to be a consistent starter at the 1 or 2 and it's doubtful he won't start any game this season, Marshall, Murphy and Silent G because they're freshman and we're already expecting them to get spot minutes, and Hairston because he's starting the season solidly as our 4th option at the 4/5.