PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Representing Well

dukedoc
10-26-2011, 11:31 AM
A feature on the CBS Early Show (http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7386031n&tag=mncol%3Blst%3B5) about Kyrie who is back at school taking classes during the lockout. To say the least, reflects well on Duke and Kyrie as a person/student.

nolan8or
10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Too bad he's not taking classes while still playing for us.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Kyrie is solid, and I am glad to have whatever association we have with him. I hope is pro career is stellar.

roywhite
10-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Kyrie is solid, and I am glad to have whatever association we have with him. I hope is pro career is stellar.

Yeah, no doubt.

Strange to think that he played only 30% of Duke's games last year, and now is facing a shortened (at best) pro season.
At what point does he begin to wonder if he did the right thing or wishes he had returned for another year of Duke basketball?

Mike Corey
10-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, no doubt.

Strange to think that he played only 30% of Duke's games last year, and now is facing a shortened (at best) pro season.
At what point does he begin to wonder if he did the right thing or wishes he had returned for another year of Duke basketball?

I don't think he does, nor should he.

He was the #1 pick in the draft, and he didn't forfeit his opportunity to earn a Duke degree, which is something he wanted all along.

Special, special young man. He could be playing video games every day. Instead, he's back to work.

Mike Corey
10-26-2011, 12:31 PM
On cue, Kyrie just tweeted:

ncexnyc
10-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, no doubt.

There has to be some doubt creeping into his mind. The longer the labor dispute lasts and the more time he spends around his former teamates, especially once the season kicks in the worse it will get for him. I guess we'll never find out who advised him on the NBA labor situation, but I think it should have been obvious that the owners were out to break the players, much like the NHL owners did.

ncexnyc
10-26-2011, 12:48 PM
On cue, Kyrie just tweeted:

Any chance Kyrie is British? You know, stiff upper lip and all that.:)

JasonEvans
10-26-2011, 12:53 PM
That video clip is like an advertisement for Duke!

As a bonus, the reporter in the clip - Mark Stassman - is a casual friend of mine. Nice story by Mark and a great feature on Duke.

-Jason

OldPhiKap
10-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Well, I know he can put some English on a ball.

jipops
10-26-2011, 01:01 PM
With Kryie being a student on campus, what is the plausibility of him being involved in team practices? I'm not sure if it would/would not be a good idea, but I do think it would be an intriguing situation. I would think he would at least be involved in some pickup games.

So technically, the best basketball player currently attending an ACC school will unquestionably be a Duke guy. Unfortunately, as we all know he has no eligibility.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-26-2011, 01:04 PM
There has to be some doubt creeping into his mind. The longer the labor dispute lasts and the more time he spends around his former teamates, especially once the season kicks in the worse it will get for him. I guess we'll never find out who advised him on the NBA labor situation, but I think it should have been obvious that the owners were out to break the players, much like the NHL owners did.
I think he'll wish he was playing once the season starts, but I don't think he'll think he made a mistake in going pro. He reminds himself of that every time he checks his account to see if his monthly endorsement check from Nike has been deposited yet... If the NBA never bounces the first ball ever again, he made the right decision. Of course, if the NBA totally blew up and went away entirely (it won't), I have a sneaking suspicion that the NCAA would find a way to reinstate last year's class if they had remaining eligibility.

Bluedog
10-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Well, he is Australian (born there). :D

With Kryie being a student on campus, what is the plausibility of him being involved in team practices? I'm not sure if it would/would not be a good idea, but I do think it would be an intriguing situation. I would think he would at least be involved in some pickup games.

I mentioned this on a previous thread, but Mallory Cecil (the freshman tennis player who won the NCAAs as a frosh and then turned pro) is back at Duke taking classes and practicing with the team. She's technically a volunteer assistant coach so can help assist the team in practices all she wants; she's just not eligible to play in matches. Kyrie could probably do something similar, but I believe there's a max number of coaches allowed and I'd think we're already at it, so I'm not sure the arrangement/restrictions on Kyrie playing with the team.

Thanks for a link to the story!

CardinalBlue
10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
I'd love to see kyrie painted blue with the crazies in the student section.

screenname
10-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah, no doubt.

If he stayed I feel like the backcourt would have been way too crowded and transfers im·mi·nent. Still, the thought of Kyrie with this team ....wow.

g-money
10-26-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm super proud of Kyrie after seeing the feature on CBS this morning. His realization that life goes on after basketball, and that an education is as valuable as shoe endorsements and NBA paychecks, shows a wisdom beyond his years.

Keep it up young man!!!

PS. If Kyrie does in fact go on to become an NBA star, this video could be used as one heck of a recruiting tool.

Mike Corey
10-26-2011, 07:06 PM
PS. If Kyrie does in fact go on to become an NBA star, this video could be used as one heck of a recruiting tool.

It flies in the face of everything that Calipari, Roy-Will and Co. tell recruits about Duke.

The beauty part? It was all Kyrie.

It's worth noting and celebrating the other individuals who have also returned to classes this fall: Tristan Thompson, Russell Westbrook...who else?

Newton_14
10-26-2011, 08:34 PM
It flies in the face of everything that Calipari, Roy-Will and Co. tell recruits about Duke.

The beauty part? It was all Kyrie.

It's worth noting and celebrating the other individuals who have also returned to classes this fall: Tristan Thompson, Russell Westbrook...who else?

Nolan Smith! He who already holds one degree at Duke is apparently pursuing another. He was on the Mike & Mark show this morning on 620 The Buzz, speaking about the villains game at Kentucky, Mike announced that Nolan was taking classes at Duke during the downtime with the NBA. They did not discuss it during the interview, but Mike gave the info while introducing Nolan as the guest. I assume it is legit as Nolan did not correct him or anything. As a side note, they asked Nolan who would be a villain against Duke in a game like that an his first UNC choice was Marcus Ginyard. Seemed to be no love lost there...

OldPhiKap
10-26-2011, 08:45 PM
As a side note, they asked Nolan who would be a villain against Duke in a game like that an his first UNC choice was Marcus Ginyard.

Who?

Doesn't even register as a blip.

Mike Corey
10-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Ginyard, Marcus: http://www.mrtarheel.com/mginyard.jpg

basket1544
10-26-2011, 09:46 PM
I know that Stephen Curry has mentioned he's taking classes. I think several NBA players are using their time off wisely.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Ginyard, Marcus: http://www.mrtarheel.com/mginyard.jpg

Nope. Still nothing.

I could think of 100 Tar Heels I hate. Not even registering.