PDA

View Full Version : Duke's best athletic accomplishment (graduation rates)

killerleft
10-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Duke University for having such success graduating athletes. Since Stanford is held in such high esteem by several on this board when it comes to schools we should measure up to in football success (since both schools take pride in academic success for athletes), I thought I would look up the GSR (graduation success rate) for the Cardinal football program. Result? Stanford, with an 87% rate, is six percentage points below Duke's 93% rate! Maybe we should be compared to Boston College, which equals the Duke 93% GSR?

Here is where you can get the rate for any NCAA school:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index.html

I couldn't find a good old-fashioned list of all schools to link, possibly because the NCAA doesn't want to embarrass the cellar-dwellars. Or maybe I just missed how to find it.

Stanford's rate is still great, just not as high as I expected.

ricks68
10-27-2011, 12:21 AM
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index.html

After typing in the info for the school you want and obtaining the one line summary, click on the Adobe icon just under the GSR Rpt heading in that line on the right to get the whole list of sports and the accompanying scores.

I put in Texas and almost got sick to my stomach. Then I put in Oklahoma, and it was worse. I wonder how LSU and Alabama stack up. Now you can see what we are up against in trying to field a winning football program.

ricks

I just noticed that this is the same link as by the previous poster. I should have just said that I meant to explain that you can get all the schools, just not in one list on this site (like Killerleft did say). I just thought Killerleft's post needed some clarification.

cspan37421
10-27-2011, 09:23 AM
My first impression was that was really old data - 2004 is the latest. However, it appears that they're defining the 2004 "GSR" by means of a cohort, 2001-2004, and the graduation definition allows 6 years from date of enrollment. So, if I understand it correctly (and I may not), the data is actually through 2010 for those entering as freshmen in 2004. I'm not sure why they use 4 year cohorts though, rather than just single years separately. Perhaps it smooths the data ... other than that, I don't know why.

Just to clarify - the PDF for GSR RPT shows 4 year cohorts which seem to correspond (in figures) to the individual year cohorts shown on the results page.

Also, I noticed that LSU and UA were not that bad in football GSR. Turning to basketball, our figures going back to cohorts from the late 1990s don't look so sterling ... OTOH we did have our first "leave early for the NBA" players back then (Brand, Avery, Maggette, etc) and maybe that figures into it.

The other thing about graduation is that it does not take into account the overall difficulty of the school, or whether the student-athlete got through with a bunch of trivial courses in a hard-to-fail major. I would not compare Stanford with Kentucky, nor would I compare engineering to "general studies."

killerleft
10-27-2011, 02:56 PM
ricks68 said:

"I just thought Killerleft's post needed some clarification."

They generally do, lol.

hurleyfor3
10-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Congrats to Duke University for having such success graduating athletes. Since Stanford is held in such high esteem by several on this board when it comes to schools we should measure up to in football success (since both schools take pride in academic success for athletes), I thought I would look up the GSR (graduation success rate) for the Cardinal football program. Result? Stanford, with an 87% rate, is six percentage points below Duke's 93% rate! Maybe we should be compared to Boston College, which equals the Duke 93% GSR?

I was going to suggest the US Military Academy, but we're above them, too (88%).

Comparing us to colleges that are near us in the USN&WR rankings (and DI in football), Penn, Dartmouth and Columbia are at 100% and Northwestern is at 94%.

JG Nothing
10-27-2011, 05:04 PM
I was going to suggest the US Military Academy, but we're above them, too (88%).

Comparing us to colleges that are near us in the USN&WR rankings (and DI in football), Penn, Dartmouth and Columbia are at 100% and Northwestern is at 94%.

Better or equal to Duke:
Notre Dame = 97%
Northwestern = 94%
Rice = 93%

Other notable scores:
Rutgers = 89%
Miami (FL) = 88%
Penn State = 87%
Vanderbilt = 86%

Verga3
10-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Check this out from the CBS Morning Show. What a young man...what a dad. Amazing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7386031n&tag=mncol%3Blst%3B5

Duke graduation rates are still in good hands...

jimsumner
10-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Combine this with a 5th-place finish in the Director's Cup and the absence of anything even resembling a scandal or even an ethical lapse and you're got a program that doesn't make a mockery of the term student-athlete.

Makes this ole' alum smile.