PDA

View Full Version : The best team overall in the nation

bigbluefan
10-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Is it UNC or Kentucky? or someone else….

Kentucky features another recruiting class that seems unfair. The only thing they don't have is Austin Rivers but folks in Lexington don't seem to care. Apparently Anthony Davis is supposed to be the next Kevin Durant and Michael Gilchrist the next Scotty Pippen. Then they had NBA guys come workout at their facilities and say their new freshmen point guard is better then his older brother, the starting PG for the ATL Hawks, Jeff Teague. Marquis Teague was ranked highest amongst incoming freshman PGs. Plus Doron Lamb shot 48% behind the arc. Kentucky simply has better talent then UNC….

People say their youth will be their downfall. That youthful team beat UNC in the tournament so I am starting to buy into the whole talent over experience bit. Yea experience is great but I think raw talent can trump it under the right circumstances.

I would put $$$$$ on a Duke vs UK final four game happening this year. 20 year anny of the shot.

Another question (which I cannot wait to revist this post come springtime) is who will be the first pick by an NBA team? Is it Rivers, Davis, Barnes, Sullinger, or Drummond?

uh_no
10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Is it UNC or Kentucky? or someone else….

Kentucky features another recruiting class that seems unfair. The only thing they don't have is Austin Rivers but folks in Lexington don't seem to care. Apparently Anthony Davis is supposed to be the next Kevin Durant and Michael Gilchrist the next Scotty Pippen. Then they had NBA guys come workout at their facilities and say their new freshmen point guard is better then his older brother, the starting PG for the ATL Hawks, Jeff Teague. Marquis Teague was ranked highest amongst incoming freshman PGs. Plus Doron Lamb shot 48% behind the arc. Kentucky simply has better talent then UNC….

People say their youth will be their downfall. That youthful team beat UNC in the tournament so I am starting to buy into the whole talent over experience bit. Yea experience is great but I think raw talent can trump it under the right circumstances.

I would put $$$$$ on a Duke vs UK final four game happening this year. 20 year anny of the shot.

Another question (which I cannot wait to revist this post come springtime) is who will be the first pick by an NBA team? Is it Rivers, Davis, Barnes, Sullinger, or Drummond?

Lets see, in my ridiculously biased opinion: uconn and drummond. :)

I think its too early to make any sort of prediction....all these teams at the top have question marks....so...we'll have to see how they play

-bdbd
10-18-2011, 10:53 PM
DUKE

OldPhiKap
10-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Don't know, could be the Cards or it could be the Rangers. Will get back to you in a week.

shoutingncu
10-19-2011, 12:58 AM

I can tell you which one it won't be, ahem, Barnes... and it ain't 'cause he'll stick around a third year...

licc85
10-19-2011, 01:24 AM
I think it's UNC . . . yes, they are less talented, but they have continuity. 2 years playing with basically the same team can do wonders, plus they added an even MORE talented big man than their two starters, McAdoo. Davis is definitely the #1 pick, no question. He is the 2nd coming of Kevin Garnett.

dukeballboy88
10-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Duke is the most complete team. They have the best backcourt and good big men that look to have improved. Plus, I aint taking any team over Duke as long as K is on the sidelines.

But defensively UCONN is going to pose problems. UNC will have the same problems, stop KM they are done. Kentucky is run by freshmen so you never know how they will do. I dont know why Ohio St is getting so much hype because I am not sold on Sullinger, did they bring some studs in or something?

uh_no
10-19-2011, 09:46 AM
I dont know why Ohio St is getting so much hype because I am not sold on Sullinger, did they bring some studs in or something?

I agree here. I was not sold on OSU last year, and think their gaudy record was the effect of a weak schedule. Yes they had a share of "good" teams....but they didn't play any "really good" teams (duke, UK, UNC, any of the top big east teams....etc)...i think their best win last year was wisconsin....yes they were a very good team, but I never thought they were phenomenal. Make no mistake, though, sullinger is a very good player, though he got a TON of hype. Apparently he's doing some diet thing and trying to slim down...i don't know how that's gonna work....just more reason for THE GAMES TO START ALREADY!

CDu
10-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Duke is the most complete team. They have the best backcourt and good big men that look to have improved. Plus, I aint taking any team over Duke as long as K is on the sidelines.

But defensively UCONN is going to pose problems. UNC will have the same problems, stop KM they are done. Kentucky is run by freshmen so you never know how they will do. I dont know why Ohio St is getting so much hype because I am not sold on Sullinger, did they bring some studs in or something?

I'd actually say that UNC is the most complete team. They have a proven playmaking PG, multiple perimeter shooting threats, multiple talented and more proven big men).

We have the potential to be just as complete. But there are more questions with us than with UNC.

matts83
10-19-2011, 10:53 AM
This is just my personal option and what I see, I could be proven wrong later.

I don’t think Kentucky has everything it needs to be the best....2 years ago they Wall and Cousins but they didn’t have a great 3 pt shooter, last year they had another good team but got beat by a team that had more experience. And this year I have a feeling they will be missing something again. I know they Jones and the number one recruit but that doesn’t always win every game. Nothing against Kentucky. UNC I feel has a better chance at keeping that number 1 ranking for the year. They will have chemistry and will know the system better. I want to say Duke but we have a few things to prove and I like that about our team, it will keep us off the radar. And we all know the target on the back is a hard thing to shake.

Go Duke!

dcar1985
10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I agree here. I was not sold on OSU last year, and think their gaudy record was the effect of a weak schedule. Yes they had a share of "good" teams....but they didn't play any "really good" teams (duke, UK, UNC, any of the top big east teams....etc)...i think their best win last year was wisconsin....yes they were a very good team, but I never thought they were phenomenal. Make no mistake, though, sullinger is a very good player, though he got a TON of hype. Apparently he's doing some diet thing and trying to slim down...i don't know how that's gonna work....just more reason for THE GAMES TO START ALREADY!

OSU is definitely overhyped right now....outside of Sully, Buford and Craft you got alot of unproven guys who didn't play much last year....Sully though is a monster and the diet you speak of is definitely working, his body has really changed from last year....thats a first hand observation being from Columbus and knowing him and the whole Sullinger fam.

loldevilz
10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Kentucky is the best team in the nation on paper this year. There talent level is simply off the chart. Jones other than Sullinger is probably the best returning player in the nation. Davis is the best overall recruit and will make it impossible to get to the rim. Their wings are fantastic: Lamb and Gilchrist. Lastly we all know what Calipari can do with his freshman point guards.

They simply have no weaknesses except for vague concepts like youth, experience. Well, they went to the final four last year and they are a much better team on paper this year.

roywhite
10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I guess this is basically just pre-season hoops talk, but I'd say "the best team overall in the nation" is totally unknown at this point.
So much can happen between now and the Final Four in April.
Maybe we could at least see a few weeks of competition before venturing forth with such a designation?

So as not to be a spoilsport, I'll rephrase this issue to "Which team is most likely to be the preseason #1 pick"?
UNC, in my opinion; formidable frontcourt, star power, and a passing wizard in Kendall Marshall.

wilko
10-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Looking at this Preseason ranking (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/Jeff-Goodman-early-preseason-Top-25-051011)

Not that anyone asked.. here are my thoughts on the Top 10 (sans Duke).

One of the great things about being a Duke fan is they are ALWAYS in the conversation. Its almost impossible to have a meaningful conversation about college basketball and avoid Duke as a topic. As such I think/want them to win and they seemingly always have a chance to bring Glory back to Durham. I don't have to pretend to be unbiased. Liberated from that burden.

I'm a FAN.
I don't pretend to be a frustrated analyst or have a better understanding of the x's and o's than your average bear. I don't claim to liken basketball athletic ballet. I just want my team to win and the heck with everybody else.

So the here are my thoughts to the Duke Fans Rooting Guide for 2011-2012
The rest of the Top 10..

UNC -
The only thing they should EVER win is the Sacko.

UK -
Preferable to UNC winning but only because it *may not* ever really count.

OSU -
No grudges if they Win. God Bless.

SU
I could more easily root 4 them before they joined the ACC.
Cant have Boeheim come lately to the ACC supplant K as the leagues best coach.

U of L
Would piss off UK. OK if they won.

Uconn.
Same reason as SU.

Vandy
I could get behind these guys: Bonus it would piss off UK.

Memphis
Same as Vandy

Xavier
Who doesn't like the x-men? Otherwise same as OSU