PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our go to "clutch" guy this year?

matts83
10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
I don’t know if this has already been discussed in a different thread, I apologies if it is, but if not I thought it would be a good topic.

With only seconds on the clock and down by 2 or 3 points…who would you want taking that last shot?
I know there would be more things to consider in the game, but lets role with it.

Cant wait for this season to start!!! Go Duke!

CDu
10-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I don’t know if this has already been discussed in a different thread, I apologies if it is, but if not I thought it would be a good topic.

With only seconds on the clock and down by 2 or 3 points…who would you want taking that last shot?
I know there would be more things to consider in the game, but lets role with it.

I assume it will be one of Rivers or Curry, as these are the only two guys who can consistently create their own shot quickly. Dawkins is a similar caliber of shooter, but he hasn't shown the ability to create his own shot. So I'd guess, if those situations arise this year, it'll be one of the two primary ballhandlers taking the shot. The nice thing is that we appear to have two guys willing and able to make that big shot at the end and we don't need to run plays to get them a look.

It's nice also that we have some shooters (Dawkins from deep, Kelly in the midrange) that can knock it down if we draw up a play for them, too. So the defense has to stay honest.

jipops
10-18-2011, 10:00 AM

To me it's not so much who takes the shot but who has the ball in his hands. And I don't think there is much doubt that should be Curry. Personally I'd like to either see him hunt for the shot or get it over to Kelly who has been floating around the perimeter. Austin is obviously an option but I like to see the experienced guys operate in a situation like this.

superdave
10-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I would assume Curry will and should have the ball in his hands in such a scenario as we beging the season. Austin could eventually grow into that role, but I assume some significant growth will be necessary. Coach K appears to be very high on Seth Curry's (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/15284105/article-Coach-K-thinks-the-world-of-Blue-Devil-point-guard-Seth-Curry) abilities to lead this team and be the facilitator on the offensive end. His outlook is what I'm basing my assumptions on.

matts83
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
I would assume Curry will and should have the ball in his hands in such a scenario as we beging the season. Austin could eventually grow into that role, but I assume some significant growth will be necessary. Coach K appears to be very high on Seth Curry's (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/15284105/article-Coach-K-thinks-the-world-of-Blue-Devil-point-guard-Seth-Curry) abilities to lead this team and be the facilitator on the offensive end. His outlook is what I'm basing my assumptions on.

I agree with you on Austin growing into the go to guy. Unlike last year with UNC they needed Barnes to step up right away and be that guy from the beginning. There was a lot of pressure on him but in the end he became that guy. We have guys like Curry and Dre that help with the load of responsibility and our bench is very deep.

mkline09
10-18-2011, 01:27 PM
I know Curry or Rivers is likely to be the guy taking shots or setting up the final play but it wouldn't surprise me to see Ryan Kelly get some go to looks in key situations. His play in China really showed me a guy ready to step up and if his shot is on why not him. If defense collapses around Curry or Rivers why not have a 6'10 big man that can shoot ready to take that final shot? Krzyzewski obviously thinks highly enough of the kid to make him a captain so he surely has confidence in on of his captain's to take that shot. The key will be the beard.

ACCBBallFan
10-18-2011, 01:29 PM
I was kind of disappointing to see both Seth and Ryan have a turnover in last minute of play. Of course they made up for it by causing a turnover on each other.

I do not hink Duke will have a single go to guy. Spread the floor and whoever has the best shot takes it. If situation requires 1 vs. 1, then probably Austin who when he slows down will be unstoppable.

mkline09
10-18-2011, 01:50 PM
I was kind of disappointing to see both Seth and Ryan have a turnover in last minute of play. Of course they made up for it by causing a turnover on each other.

I do not hink Duke will have a single go to guy. Spread the floor and whoever has the best shot takes it. If situation requires 1 vs. 1, then probably Austin who when he slows down will be unstoppable.

Having a guy like Austin is helpful because he can get in the lane and open up opportunties for any of Duke's shooters or finish. Seth can do the same. I think Quinn Cook as he gets older can do it too. He looks like he will be impressive at getting in the lane creating and finishing.

OldPhiKap
10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I know Curry or Rivers is likely to be the guy taking shots or setting up the final play but it wouldn't surprise me to see Ryan Kelly get some go to looks in key situations. His play in China really showed me a guy ready to step up and if his shot is on why not him. If defense collapses around Curry or Rivers why not have a 6'10 big man that can shoot ready to take that final shot? Krzyzewski obviously thinks highly enough of the kid to make him a captain so he surely has confidence in on of his captain's to take that shot. The key will be the beard.

Bingo. Ryan is the classic match-up problem we like to cause with Ferry/Laettner/Dunleavy/Singler/etc. I think the kid is poised for a huge year.

Duvall
10-18-2011, 02:56 PM
FLASHBACK (http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/800/AM/AMQBSTCCSLUGCZC.20110313211248.jpg).

dukeballboy88
10-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Rivers looked very confident taking the last shot to tie at CTC. It didnt fall but it was dead on but he wanted the rock and you could tell he wanted it.

CDu
10-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Rivers looked very confident taking the last shot to tie at CTC. It didnt fall but it was dead on but he wanted the rock and you could tell he wanted it.

Yes, Rivers looked quite confident and clearly wanted the shot. I'm quite sure that the same is true for Curry, Dawkins, and Kelly, too. So we're back to the original question.

matts83
10-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Yes, Rivers looked quite confident and clearly wanted the shot. I'm quite sure that the same is true for Curry, Dawkins, and Kelly, too. So we're back to the original question.

But I think this will give us a little edge like in 2010 when our options were Smith, Scheyer and Singler. One has a cold night and the other 2 could turn it on... Back to the last second shot, teams are going to have a hard time locking down all of them so there is going to be an open shot and I think all of them could make it. I can see Rivers drive the ball and dish out to anyone, and same with Curry.

CDu
10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
But I think this will give us a little edge like in 2010 when our options were Smith, Scheyer and Singler. One has a cold night and the other 2 could turn it on... Back to the last second shot, teams are going to have a hard time locking down all of them so there is going to be an open shot and I think all of them could make it. I can see Rivers drive the ball and dish out to anyone, and same with Curry.

It generally does help to have more threats rather than fewer. I think the ball will either be in Curry's hands or Rivers' hands to start the last possession. Dawkins or Kelly could get the ball in a designed play started by one of those two guys. I'd expect all four to be on the floor in such a situation.

I've yet to see Rivers really look to pass when he drives (in the half court at least). His drives have almost exclusively resulted in a shot attempt or a turnover so far. Hopefully he can get more comfortable setting up others, because I think he's the most capable at breaking down his man off the dribble.

He'll also need to get better at attacking quickly. To this point, he's had a lot of "pound the ball, show a few moves, size up his man" moments. In a last-possession situation, that usually results in a step-back jumper rather than creating off the dribble.

But I agree. It's nice to have multiple shooting threats. Of course, that was the case last year and in 2010 and many years prior as well.

Billy Dat
10-19-2011, 01:09 PM
1999-2000 provides an interesting comparison...we lost most of our offense to the NBA and didn't know who emerge as The Man on offense. C-Well grabbed the torch and ran with it and as he peaked, Shane and J-Will were waiting in the wings to step up into the limelight, emerging strongly down the stretch. Maybe Curry plays the C-Well role this year (likely not ACC Player of the Year, but if that happens, we won't complain) and Austin and (my wish) Mp1, Mp2, or Kelly pick up the slack in the second half. I'd love for Andre to be one of those guys, but I'd rather have one of our post players emerge to keep the foul pressure on the opposing bigs.

UrinalCake
10-19-2011, 08:52 PM
First off, who's the fifth guy on the court along with Curry, Rivers, Dawkins, and Kelly? I think it depends on the situation. If we're starting underneath our own basket I'd put Cook in to have an extra ball handler. The defense is going to force the ball away from Curry primarily and then Rivers, so having a third outlet could be important. If we're down by three then I think you definitely want Cook in there, although Thornton actually shot pretty well last year in his limited attempts. If we're down two then perhaps you gamble with having Mason in there camped out under the basket, but you have to be wary of his poor free throw shooting.

If we're inbounding from the offensive side of the court then I guess you do want one of the Plumlees on the floor as a screener and possible offensive rebounder. Plus Kelly will probably inbounds the ball so you need another big to space the floor.

In the end Curry or Rivers will definitely have the ball in their hands, and either one of them will take the shot or they'll dish to Dawkins spotting up. If any of those three gets an open look and misses, then you have to say we did everything we could and it just wasn't our night.