PDA

View Full Version : Singler Injured

FireOgilvie
07-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Kyle Singler was walking around campus today with a taped left ankle (if I remember correctly). He was on crutches. I have no idea what is wrong with him... hopefully just a minor sprain or something.

gep
07-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Kyle Singler was walking around campus today with a taped left ankle (if I remember correctly). He was on crutches. I have no idea what is wrong with him... hopefully just a minor sprain or something.

I've posted this question before... are all of these foot "injuries" unique to Duke, or does this happen at other schools as well, just that we don't hear about them since we don't follow other schools in that detail? Even other ACC schools? Thanks...

OZZIE4DUKE
07-13-2007, 02:34 PM
I've posted this question before... are all of these foot "injuries" unique to Duke, or does this happen at other schools as well, just that we don't hear about them since we don't follow other schools in that detail? Even other ACC schools? Thanks...

This is the first I've heard about Kyle being injured, but sprained ankles and various leg/knee bruises are typical when playing basketball.

speedevil
07-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Dear Lance Thomas,

Please stay healthy for the remainder of the summer and this upcoming season.

SilkyJ
07-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Dear Lance Thomas,

Please stay healthy for the remainder of the summer and this upcoming season.

Dear Duke Team,

stop playing pickup.

Clipsfan
07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Dear Duke Team,

stop playing pickup.

There is an injury risk when they play, but the pickup helps them both get better and learn how to play with each other/build team cohesiveness. There is a reason that the coaches allow/encourage them to play pickup, despite the injury risk.

sandinmyshoes
07-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Better to have injuries now, than in the middle of the season. Still, it will probably slow development. :(

SilkyJ
07-13-2007, 04:27 PM
There is an injury risk when they play, but the pickup helps them both get better and learn how to play with each other/build team cohesiveness. There is a reason that the coaches allow/encourage them to play pickup, despite the injury risk.

I know, it was just a joke. I almost wanted to say stop playing pickup so hard, but the same principle applies. Playing with this kind of intensity will help them in the long run...i just wish we wouldnt lose half our players in the process...

Clipsfan
07-13-2007, 04:33 PM
I know, it was just a joke. I almost wanted to say stop playing pickup so hard, but the same principle applies. Playing with this kind of intensity will help them in the long run...i just wish we wouldnt lose half our players in the process...

I'm with you on that...but given that I don't play at the same level and I seem to hurt something at least half the times I play, I'm not surprised that they come out with some injuries. I wish there was a better way to avoid them out there, but as long as they're only minor ones (for the most part, Zoubek's isn't great) I think the team can deal with them.

SilkyJ
07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
But as long as they're only minor ones (for the most part, Zoubek's isn't great) I think the team can deal with them.

Let's hope so...singler on crutches isn't a good sign in terms of the seriousness of the injury, but doesnt say much. I was on crutches after a minor ankle sprain and was back on the court at 100% in a week...let's hope its just a precaution

ACCBBallFan
07-13-2007, 08:41 PM
well with Zoubs and Kyle hurt and Scheyer and Nelson at Pan Am trials, plus I thought I heard Dave McClure would not be taking classes second summer session, and Marty still recovering from ankle surgery, maybe the remaining starting 5 will take a couple weeks off.

Smith
Paulus (also coming off surgery)
Gerald (exercised induced asthmsa)
King
Lance

Still a pretty good lineup, especially with no one to play against.

FireOgilvie
07-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm really surprised that nothing about this has been mentioned by Duke. Apparently it's a strategic cover-up.

SilkyJ
07-15-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm really surprised that nothing about this has been mentioned by Duke. Apparently it's a strategic cover-up.

More likely it means that it isnt a serious injury. If his ankle was only "taped" as you said its probably a very, very minor sprain. Its likely that he just rolled it and then went on crutches for a day or two to keep the swelling down.

FireOgilvie
07-15-2007, 08:15 PM
More likely it means that it isnt a serious injury. If his ankle was only "taped" as you said its probably a very, very minor sprain. Its likely that he just rolled it and then went on crutches for a day or two to keep the swelling down.

You're probably right. I didn't give a very good description of it though... more specifically it was wrapped with a heavy bandage wrap, not just tape. He wasn't wearing a shoe on that foot. He wasn't putting any weight on it when I saw him and he was using crutches.

SilkyJ
07-15-2007, 10:11 PM
You're probably right. I didn't give a very good description of it though... more specifically it was wrapped with a heavy bandage wrap, not just tape. He wasn't wearing a shoe on that foot. He wasn't putting any weight on it when I saw him and he was using crutches.

Gotcha. Appreciate the description. Yea I'm thinking its a minor thing. If there was no air cast or brace or anything else, then it was probably just a bad roll of the ankle, and he'll be fine. This ridiculous amount of injuries is really disconcerting...

Silky "Let's all pray that demarcus' diagnosis is good on Tuesday" J

greybeard
07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Gotcha. Appreciate the description. Yea I'm thinking its a minor thing. If there was no air cast or brace or anything else, then it was probably just a bad roll of the ankle, and he'll be fine. This ridiculous amount of injuries is really disconcerting...

Silky "Let's all pray that demarcus' diagnosis is good on Tuesday" J

Seems to me the question is how does one recapture the proper movement of the ankle/foot/knee/hip joints to come back from such an injury in a healthy way. IMO, not enough focus is placed on function in coming back from such injuries.

B.S.K. Iyengar and Moshe Feldenkrais are near contemporaries who never met. Both have put forth incredible insights with regard to the working of the feet in relation to the other ambulatory/rotational/shock absorbing machines in the leg as the leg, in turn, relates to movement in the torso. Both developed structures, very different but similar, for facilitating an individual's gaining a viseral understanding of function and structure to maximize effective and healthy use.

These or other educational modalities need to be part of every athlete's regimen, imo. Doing strength work in conjunction with elemental stretches simply is not enough. Wasting time on skill development while the tools of the trade are ignored is NOT PRODUCING THE RESULTS THAT WE ALL WANT.

watzone
07-16-2007, 05:53 PM
He will be back within two weeks.

DukieUGA
07-16-2007, 07:16 PM
well, it looks like he'll (Nelson) be out for more than 2 weeks. He broke his wrist and they say 4-6 weeks. Could be a good chance for him to work on ball-handling skills and FT shooting. I remember JJ saying that when he broke his arm(s) he would practice shooting one-handed FTs, and we all know how good he got to be at that. Hopefully DN can take something positive away from this injury.

I have not heard any news about Singler's "injury", hopefully nothing more than a common rolled ankle.

greybeard
07-16-2007, 08:32 PM
He will be back within two weeks.

Back where? The court? After crutches? Whatever works I suppose.

Oh, by the way, what is that question everybody has been asking? Never mind, this time it's only two weeks.

Try this, sitting down, position your toes inward slightly so that the heal is outside the ankle (for those who have rolled the ankle, this might not be so easy, the heal position part) and the weight is not resting on the outside of the foot. Press down and notice where the work is being done all the way up through the buttocks. Then straighten the foot or even let the toes point out slightly, with the heal slightly inside the rest of the foot (much easier yes?) and the weight shifting towards the outside. Do the same. Different? Does the ability to rotate the upper leg in the hip joint affect the feet? Is the reverse also true? Does it matter?

grossbus
07-16-2007, 08:46 PM
understand why you might be preoccupied with "heal" today, but i think you might have meant "heel", which is obviously an avoidable word in most circumstances, but is the back part of the foot.

gvtucker
07-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I have not heard any news about Singler's "injury", hopefully nothing more than a common rolled ankle.
It isn't even that bad.

mapei
07-16-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm still wondering how a broken wrist gives Nelson a chance to work on his ball-handling skills . . . When I broke my wrist, that hand was pretty much useless for 8 weeks, and my arm really withered due to inactivity.

ACCBBallFan
07-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Back where? The court? After crutches? Whatever works I suppose.
On another Duke board, Denniden indicated it was not an ankle but a simple toe procedure, and concurs with Mark Watzone 2 week estimate. No info on greybeard's follow upquestions.

So at least the trend is to half the recovery time on each injury, Zoubek 8 weeks, Nelson 4 weeks, Singler 2 weeks, though IIRC, Singler's happened before Nelson's.

DukieUGA
07-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Mapei:
he only broke one wrist, so he's still got one to use. He won't be able to play games (if he's responsible) so he'll have plenty of time to practice dribbling and protecting the ball one-handed. That would hopefully improve his ball-handling skills.

greybeard
07-17-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm still wondering how a broken wrist gives Nelson a chance to work on his ball-handling skills . . . When I broke my wrist, that hand was pretty much useless for 8 weeks, and my arm really withered due to inactivity.

Good thing you had another one, I think is the point. Or, maybe dude was alluding to the use of imagination. Scientists have documented that areas of the brain that are associated with a particular activity grow when the activity is repeated and repeated. The growth occurs even more when the same amount of time is spent imagining the movement. Truth. Master PGA teaching professional Mike Hebron reports that empirical studies and his own observations document that more progress can me made imagining a physical movement than actually practicing it. Of course, that presupposes that one possesses an appropriate image and corresponding feel to begin with.

mapei
07-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, plus I was just reading on the other thread that DM's fracture wasn't also dislocated. I wasn't so lucky. :(

Memo to self: try to avoid those painted lines in the road when it's wet and you're going fast or, better yet, slow down and let the guy in front of you go . . .