PDA

View Full Version : ACC Basketball Scandals?

Bostondevil
10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
With all the local hoopla about the ACC expansion/ESPN influence/UConn undermining in the Boston Globe, I started wondering about something. I don't want UConn purely and simply because of Calhoun. If UConn didn't have him, I wouldn't mind the ACC taking them but IMHO Calhoun runs just about the most corrupt, cheating program in college basketball. There are a few other coaches that would cause me much dismay were an ACC school to hire them (Huggins or Calipari to name 2), but Calhoun remains at the top of my personal list. So, my question, what are the recent basketball scandals in the ACC? Is it my imagination, or has the ACC managed to somehow remain a basketball scandal free conference? I can't recall any ACC school that has lost scholarships and/or post-season play in recent memory. Of course, given the recent decisions in the latest UConn case, I wonder what a school would have to do to lose post-season play right now. Anyway, refresh my memory DBR posters if I'm wrong in my belief that somehow the ACC has been running a fairly clean ship.

If I'm right, I'd like to keep it that way. No UConn until Calhoun is gone.

jimsumner
10-13-2011, 12:24 PM
With all the local hoopla about the ACC expansion/ESPN influence/UConn undermining in the Boston Globe, I started wondering about something. I don't want UConn purely and simply because of Calhoun. If UConn didn't have him, I wouldn't mind the ACC taking them but IMHO Calhoun runs just about the most corrupt, cheating program in college basketball. There are a few other coaches that would cause me much dismay were an ACC school to hire them (Huggins or Calipari to name 2), but Calhoun remains at the top of my personal list. So, my question, what are the recent basketball scandals in the ACC? Is it my imagination, or has the ACC managed to somehow remain a basketball scandal free conference? I can't recall any ACC school that has lost scholarships and/or post-season play in recent memory. Of course, given the recent decisions in the latest UConn case, I wonder what a school would have to do to lose post-season play right now. Anyway, refresh my memory DBR posters if I'm wrong in my belief that somehow the ACC has been running a fairly clean ship.

If I'm right, I'd like to keep it that way. No UConn until Calhoun is gone.

I tend to have a different view of "recent" than a lot of folks. For me, the term means anything since the elimination of the center jump. But NC State hasn't been nailed in over two decades, something of a record, Bob Wade is a distant memory at College Park and no one has yet to seriously challenge Tate Locke for the title of scummiest coach in ACC history.

The most recent Miami football scandal has touched on their hoops program, so that might be the most timely example. The FSU academic cheating scandal of a few years back was centered around football but I seem to recall a hoopster or two being entangled.

But nothing like the good old days. Perhaps, having the two highest-profile programs in the league winning national titles without cheating has something to do with it. Hard to make the -everybody-does-it-argument with a straight face.

MulletMan
10-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Hard to make the -everybody-does-it-argument with a straight face.

Clearly you don't get out much, Jim. People all over the country like to tell me how dirty Coach K is... he just doesn't get caught. Same with Dean and Roy. NCAA just turns a blind eye to those cash cows!

jimsumner
10-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Clearly you don't get out much, Jim. People all over the country like to tell me how dirty Coach K is... he just doesn't get caught. Same with Dean and Roy. NCAA just turns a blind eye to those cash cows!

Funny, my wife also tells me to get out more. I think she just wants to watch the Home and Garden Channel without me rolling my eyes and making snarky comments.