PDA

View Full Version : Nike presents: New Duke unis?

Mike Corey
10-12-2011, 07:50 AM

These appear in a new Nike catalog (http://niketeam.nike.com/niketeamsports/content/pdf/catalog_thumbs/winter_2011/mens/basketball.pdf). h/t, childress22 at TDD.

moonpie23
10-12-2011, 08:07 AM
maybe it's my laptop, but.....is that the right color?

devildeac
10-12-2011, 08:54 AM
maybe it's my laptop, but.....is that the right color?

I thought the same thing. Should be Pantone 287 and the color I see looks like it has been diluted with a few too many tears from down the road.

NovaScotian
10-12-2011, 09:04 AM

These appear in a new Nike catalog (http://niketeam.nike.com/niketeamsports/content/pdf/catalog_thumbs/winter_2011/mens/basketball.pdf). h/t, childress22 at TDD.

man, alex murphy looks tan after that trip. re the dot matrix: barf.

dcar1985
10-12-2011, 09:07 AM
About a month back Nolan posted a picture via Twitter of the new uni's...well actually just the shorts and they do match the pic above

moonpie23
10-12-2011, 09:28 AM
the color seems too light (blue).....

DevilWearsPrada
10-12-2011, 09:36 AM
the color seems too light (blue).....

I thought the same thing. It looks just like Tarheel blue and not our beautiful Duke Blue.

You don't have to be color blind to know those Nike uniforms are NOT the right color. Box them up and send them to Recycle land or the land field.

dcar1985
10-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Here's the pic Nolan posted a while back.......2090

markbdevil
10-12-2011, 10:15 AM

Notice the change from black to white in the shorts panel. And the Nike catalog has the D logo with the basketball, the unis they wore in China did not. Guess we will find out Friday night. Less black on the unis is good for me!

Jeff9821
10-12-2011, 10:15 AM
It's not your monitor, it's the WRONG COLOR. Man, I really hope someone corrects that before we see that ugly pale shade on tv.

markbdevil
10-12-2011, 10:20 AM
It's not your monitor, it's the WRONG COLOR. Man, I really hope someone corrects that before we see that ugly pale shade on tv.

Bring back these!!!!!!2092

nmduke2001
10-12-2011, 10:27 AM

The 94 uniforms that you linked to were the best. I loved those uniforms. BYU actually used a copy of those uniforms two years ago, just with BYU Navy instead of Duke Blue.

THE FUTURE
10-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Bring them back

weezie
10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
re the dot matrix: barf.

If these are made available to the general public, I want you men to try and promise to wear them with long compressions underneath. I mean really.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2011, 01:06 PM
If these are made available to the general public, I want you men to try and promise to wear them with long compressions underneath. I mean really.
Somehow the peep show side panels make me think of toga parties in the past and the mishaps the brothers sometimes had with their attire.

PADukeMom
10-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Oh my...I'm speechless. Please tell me this is a Halloween joke. The new color looks like Carolina & Kentucky mixed together. Those side panels have got to be a joke. Horrible.

somf4eva
10-12-2011, 02:12 PM

yes.

wilko
10-12-2011, 02:57 PM
At least its not the UNITARD

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-12-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm willing to bet it's just a lighting issue. If the uniforms have any sheen to them, they could easily reflect the flash or ambient light and end up looking like this garbage shade of blue that we're seeing in the photo. The designers couldn't possibly be that ignorant of the implications of the shade of blue here. At least let's hope not.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm willing to bet it's just a lighting issue. If the uniforms have any sheen to them, they could easily reflect the flash or ambient light and end up looking like this garbage shade of blue that we're seeing in the photo. The designers couldn't possibly be that ignorant of the implications of the shade of blue here. At least let's hope not.
I suspect that the implication of greatest interest to the designers is making money.

dukebsbll14
10-12-2011, 04:55 PM

...and if they did, would K even let his players wear them?

I remember a Duke Blue Planet tweet from the summer showing Cook in the new blue unis for the season, and they were the ones the team wore in China (no hoop in the D, smaller 'Duke' on chest). I think its just for the catalog, not what the team will be wearing.

davekay1971
10-12-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm about to do an Oedipus on my eyeballs. Seeing the Duke name on that shade of blue was just too much.

In the words of the late great Colonel Kurtz...the horror...the horror

Capn Poptart
10-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Kentucky blue at best, Tarhole blue at worst. :mad:

alteran
10-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Kentucky blue at best, Tarhole blue at worst. :mad:

I apologize for the following printer/color geekery.

Just for fun, here's a pantone color chart. Monitors are always tricky with this stuff, but at least you can see how strong the differences are. UNC (278), Kentucky (286), and Duke(287) are all on there. (UNC is column 1, row 4, Duke is right below it. Kentucky is six to the right of Duke.)

http://www.jc-leisure.com/colour-chart/

(http://www.jc-leisure.com/colour-chart/)There is simply no way the color UNC wears these days is anywhere near pantone 278. Their unis are much, much darker.

My whole point is this: don't assume that we're coming closer to UNC's color-- they are coming much closer to ours. :) That being said, I agree that Duke's unis have drifted to lighter, more TV-friendly shades.

yancem
10-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I suspect that the implication of greatest interest to the designers is making money.

You're probably correct but if the colors of those pictures are true to life then they are going to loose a lot of money because there aren't many Duke fans that will purchase those unis.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-13-2011, 02:51 PM
I apologize for the following printer/color geekery.

Just for fun, here's a pantone color chart. Monitors are always tricky with this stuff, but at least you can see how strong the differences are. UNC (278), Kentucky (286), and Duke(287) are all on there. (UNC is column 1, row 4, Duke is right below it. Kentucky is six to the right of Duke.)

http://www.jc-leisure.com/colour-chart/

(http://www.jc-leisure.com/colour-chart/)There is simply no way the color UNC wears these days is anywhere near pantone 278. Their unis are much, much darker.

My whole point is this: don't assume that we're coming closer to UNC's color-- they are coming much closer to ours. :) That being said, I agree that Duke's unis have drifted to lighter, more TV-friendly shades.
Butch Davis did his part while at Carolina to bring a darker blue in for the football uniforms.

moonpie23
10-13-2011, 09:05 PM
ugh....i showed this to my son sam and he immediately said, "dad, that's unc blue!!! Duke is dark blue!"

this is distressing...

miramar
10-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Other than the uniforms from the 1990s, I like the retro uniforms with the exploding Duke letters that the team wore one time just a few years ago. I have never liked the black trim on recent uniforms. Blue and white are more than enough for me.

Newton_14
10-15-2011, 09:33 AM
For those that were worried, the uni's the guys wore last night were very much "Duke Blue". As I expected, this was all about a lighting issue with the photo's making the shade of blue look lighter than it actually is. All is well!

DukeSean
10-15-2011, 09:53 AM
at least we're not sponsored by Under Armor. God knows what our uni's could have been...

CLT Devil
10-15-2011, 11:04 AM

I actually bought a pair of these shorts at Dick's last year (which I consider bad luck and a contributing factor to the early post-season exit, but that's a whole 'nother story) - My white shorts with blue sides from the late 1990's had finally fallen apart after years of use. The new ones, with the ventilation holes, are some of the most comfortable shorts I've ever had and the holes in the side serve to let more air in. It's really hard to see the 'dot-matrix' when wearing them, and especially from afar. If they help players stay cool, even just a little bit - like the new backs of Nike uni's - I am all for them.

I'm sure it's in the Handy Pocket Guide but I feel like there's always backlash to any change of uniforms, especially a perceived color change. I trust that DBR folks are not the only ones who see the lighter color shade and don't like it. It might have gotten a little lighter over the years but to think we'd wear anything to 'Holes colors is getting yourself worked up over nothing.

I love my 'new' shorts, but I think I like the new new ones with the white panel more. I agree with previous posters: Bring back the Battier-pictured ones. Nothing worse than watching Duke play at UNC and we've got our Black unis on...I don't get that.

uh_no
10-15-2011, 11:42 AM
at least we're not sponsored by Under Armor. God knows what our uni's could have been...

something like this i'd imagine

http://holybibleart.com/patchwork%20blue.jpg