PDA

View Full Version : some notes on Cut's press conference, 10-11

jimsumner
10-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Keeping in mind that the official injury report comes out Thursday, there was some useful info on injuries.

Cut said that Duke wasn't as healthy as he had hoped they would be coming off the bye week.

But there were some encouraging notes.

Josh Snead ran at full speed today. Too early to tell when he suits up and no decision has been made on a redshirt. But the trend lines are going in the right direction.

Brian Moore still has a cast but is practicing. Cut said that handling the ball was part of Moore's rehab. Harding likely starts at center this week but the longterm plan is to move Harding back to guard when Moore is ready to take over at center. The added depth will prove very beneficial to Duke.

Scott getting better. Playing with a brace made him tentative but he's getting more comfortable. Should be better this week than against FIU.

Best news. Synderwine "back to Will for the first time this season" at this morning's practice. The time off did wonders for Will.

Duke used the week off to become very familar with FSU. Duke tried to identify mistakes and work on correcting them. Cut places much of the blame for FSU's slump on the injury to Manuel.

Some discussion of Duke's new-found offensive aggression. "The last thing I want is a timid team afraid of turning it over. More aggressive in disregarding down and distance. I want to throw the ball when I want to throw it."

uh_no
10-11-2011, 02:34 PM
More aggressive in disregarding down and distance. I want to throw the ball when I want to throw it."

Does this mean we're going to see shots at the endzone on 4th and 1 from our own 20? now THAT's some exciting football :)

chrishoke
10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Great summary Jim. Cut also said that they used some of the time to work on defending the GT option.

jimsumner
10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Does this mean we're going to see shots at the endzone on 4th and 1 from our own 20? now THAT's some exciting football :)

As soon as Duke gets someone who can throw the ball 80+ yards in the air. :)

devildeac
10-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Not sure I would have connected those dots from Jim's summary of the presser but I gotta admit, that is some REAL aggressive thinking.

jimsumner
10-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Great summary Jim. Cut also said that they used some of the time to work on defending the GT option.

This was interesting. Why work on GT now? In recent years, Duke has played other option teams, e.g. Navy and Army. This year, GT is it. So, Duke took advantage of the off-week to spend some time working on the GT option, practicing against a team Duke doesn't play for another six weeks.

Duvall
10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
This was interesting. Why work on GT now? In recent years, Duke has played other option teams, e.g. Navy and Army. This year, GT is it. So, Duke took advantage of the off-week to spend some time working on the GT option, practicing against a team Duke doesn't play for another six weeks.

Plus, if you project from the league standings (http://www.theacc.com/this-is/accstandings.html?&rsrc=nav), it looks like that game could decide the division title. Only makes sense to be extra prepared.

El_Diablo
10-11-2011, 03:47 PM

The bye week is probably the best time to start prepping for it. As Everett Withers noted, it is not an offense that you can prepare your team for in one week. UNC started working on it weeks in advance.

Acymetric
10-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Brian Moore still has a cast but is practicing. Cut said that handling the ball was part of Moore's rehab. Harding likely starts at center this week but the longterm plan is to move Harding back to guard when Moore is ready to take over at center. The added depth will prove very beneficial to Duke.

Glad to hear this. Harding has done a decent job at center, but his snaps have been erratic for parts of each game this season. Obviously he has more game experience now, but the staff clearly thought Moore was the better long term solution at center when they put him there before his injury so I think keeping him at center when he comes back will be the right call. And of course when that happens Harding will be a heck of a guard for us.

Greg_Newton
10-11-2011, 07:02 PM
The bye week is probably the best time to start prepping for it. As Everett Withers noted, it is not an offense that you can prepare your team for in one week. UNC started working on it weeks in advance.

Plus, given the states of our respective programs, I think we can afford to look past FSU a little bit. ;)

Reilly
10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
www.goduke.com has the whole press conference up:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=1002&id=804756

dukediv2011
10-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Yeah, the option is an extremely difficult system to stop. Duke has been pretty good against it in the past, however. GT has beaten us up with the pass recently, not the run. I think it is a great decision on Cut's part to infuse some of this work into an open week because it gave the practice squad an opportunity to get some reps before a TOUGH week of practice leading up to the GT game.