PDA

View Full Version : Someone said Jump!

Nrrrrvous
10-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Miles said "How High?"

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2011/10/miles-reaches-top-of-backboard/

Can anyone tell me how many cinderblocks that is?

uh_no
10-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Miles said "How High?"

http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2011/10/miles-reaches-top-of-backboard/

Can anyone tell me how many cinderblocks that is?

I'd like to know how high it actually is. I think the relative lack of perspective combined with the angle (from the side and below) make it difficult to tell how high it actually is. As a proof of concept, note hoop looks like it's well behind the baseline, when in reality its 3-4' (don't know the exact number) in FRONT of the baseline. It also looks like the pole is in front of the hoop which it clearly isn't. Now, its obviously not photoshopped, but the actual height would be more telling than a picture from an odd angle. (also note how it looks like mason is about half the height of the rim...)

OZZIE4DUKE
10-10-2011, 09:09 PM
If memory serves me correctly, Miles was a high jump champ in high school and reportedly had a standing vertical of (well) over 40" here (at Duke) a couple of years ago.

OldPhiKap
10-10-2011, 09:09 PM
If memory serves me correctly, Miles was a high jump champ in high school and reportedly had a standing vertical of (well) over 40" here (at Duke) a couple of years ago.

He jumped at least half a Brickey.

burnspbesq
10-10-2011, 09:29 PM
He jumped at least half a Brickey.

How many Karches is that? Here on the west coast, the Karch is the measure of ridiculous aerial feats. Go to any volleyball tournament and ask the old-timers, and they will all claim to have seen Karch (who is barely 6'3") put a quarter on top of a backboard from a standing start.

dcar1985
10-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Most vertical jump measuring devices max out at 12 ft, the horizontal vanes measure 1/2 " with the 6 remaining untouched that would put Miles at 11 ft 2 in....more than a foot above the rim.

Greg_Newton
10-10-2011, 09:37 PM

Pretty sure that was a running vert - I think his standing vert was supposedly around 3', which would still put his max standing reach close to 12'.

roywhite
10-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Miles had a 6'9" high jump while at Christ School. That doesn't correlate exactly with a great vertical, but is impressive for a guy his size.

With a running start, I think Mason gets up as well or better, or appears that way due to a somewhat longer reach.

uh_no
10-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Miles had a 6'9" high jump while at Christ School. That doesn't correlate exactly with a great vertical, but is impressive for a guy his size.

With a running start, I think Mason gets up as well or better, or appears that way due to a somewhat longer reach.

That's downright incredibly, given how much he weighs. Not only the ability to get that much weight that height of the ground, but the body control to contort your back and various appendages into the proper positions to get them over a bar that high boggles my mind.

devildeac
10-10-2011, 11:19 PM

He high jumped somewhere between 6'6" and 6'8", IIRC. His standing and running verticals were very similar to Gerald's. Amazingly un-athletic to borrow a phrase.:rolleyes:

uh_no
10-10-2011, 11:26 PM
He high jumped somewhere between 6'6" and 6'8", IIRC. His standing and running verticals were very similar to Gerald's. Amazingly un-athletic to borrow a phrase.:rolleyes:

Nah, gerald wasn't one of the amazingly unathletic folks. Just jon, nolan and the rest of the...um...oh that's right NATIONAL CHAMPION DUKE BLUE DEVILS

Jarhead
10-10-2011, 11:37 PM
How many Karches is that? Here on the west coast, the Karch is the measure of ridiculous aerial feats. Go to any volleyball tournament and ask the old-timers, and they will all claim to have seen Karch (who is barely 6'3") put a quarter on top of a backboard from a standing start.

I am reminded about David Thompson of NC State. As the story goes, he could take a quarter from the top of the backboard and leave, in exchange, two dimes and a nickel. His vertical jump (standing) was reportedly well over forty inches. Michael Jordan was measured at 48", but taking change from the top of the board was not one of his tricks.
He didn't have Thompson's hang time.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/wizard.gif

uh_no
10-11-2011, 12:08 AM
I am reminded about David Thompson of NC State. As the story goes, he could take a quarter from the top of the backboard and leave, in exchange, two dimes and a nickel. His vertical jump (standing) was reportedly well over forty inches. Michael Jordan was measured at 48", but taking change from the top of the board was not one of his tricks.
He didn't have Thompson's hang time.http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/wizard.gif

I would just like to point out that "hang time" has a perfect correlation with vertical leap. One can't have a longer "hang time" without increasing their vertical leap unless he decides to land with a splat instead of on his feet.

DukieTiger
10-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Phenomenal Karch reference! Met him this summer at a USWNT intrasquad at UCI. Cool guy.

But... ^that would take a lot of hats, to measure Miles' vert! :)

Jarhead
10-11-2011, 11:13 AM

I would just like to point out that "hang time" has a perfect correlation with vertical leap. One can't have a longer "hang time" without increasing their vertical leap unless he decides to land with a splat instead of on his feet.

David did splat one time when his hang time was interrupted by an undercut. Scared the crap out of the Wolfpack fans and lots of other folks, too. A former colleague of mine claimed that David's foot actually kicked the backboard on the way down.

rsvman
10-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Although the story of David Thompson's being able to make change for a quarter off the top of the backboard has been oft repeated, Thompson himself has categorically denied ever being able to do it. Thompson could fly, to be sure, but as time goes by the stories get more and more absurd.

You want to see some serious hops just go to YouTube and watch some of the street ballers do slams. There's one guy who goes by the moniker "Air Up There" that is pretty incredible, and I don't think he's the absolute best. He has a patented 720 slam and there is video of it.

Lots of guys have hops; anything over 44 inches standing vertical is pretty much world class.

CDu
10-11-2011, 02:17 PM

And he used to wear a sweet pink hat.

roywhite
10-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Although the story of David Thompson's being able to make change for a quarter off the top of the backboard has been oft repeated, Thompson himself has categorically denied ever being able to do it. Thompson could fly, to be sure, but as time goes by the stories get more and more absurd.

You want to see some serious hops just go to YouTube and watch some of the street ballers do slams. There's one guy who goes by the moniker "Air Up There" that is pretty incredible, and I don't think he's the absolute best. He has a patented 720 slam and there is video of it.

Lots of guys have hops; anything over 44 inches standing vertical is pretty much world class.

Talk about an injustice....

How do we have a thread about hoops guys with great hops, and not mention Carmen Wallace? ;)

CDu
10-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I'd like to know how high it actually is. I think the relative lack of perspective combined with the angle (from the side and below) make it difficult to tell how high it actually is. As a proof of concept, note hoop looks like it's well behind the baseline, when in reality its 3-4' (don't know the exact number) in FRONT of the baseline. It also looks like the pole is in front of the hoop which it clearly isn't. Now, its obviously not photoshopped, but the actual height would be more telling than a picture from an odd angle. (also note how it looks like mason is about half the height of the rim...)

The backboard is indeed 4 feet in front of the baseline. But I'm pretty sure this is a side basket rather than the main basket - one of the auxiliary baskets along the sideline, and IS actually behind the line (in this case, the sideline).

That said, the angle of the photograph does make it really hard to tell how high he jumped in that case. I'd say it's in the neighborhood of the top of the backboard, but it's hard to say exactly how high.

uh_no
10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
The backboard is indeed 4 feet in front of the baseline. But I'm pretty sure this is a side basket rather than the main basket - one of the auxiliary baskets along the sideline, and IS actually behind the line (in this case, the sideline).

That said, the angle of the photograph does make it really hard to tell how high he jumped in that case. I'd say it's in the neighborhood of the top of the backboard, but it's hard to say exactly how high.

Good to know! I've only been in there once, but the picture makes a lot more sense now that my brain isn't trying to force the basket somewhere to where its not!

Greg_Newton
10-11-2011, 03:50 PM

Not just world class, inhuman; no one in the recorded history of the NBA combine has broken 40": http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=10

devildeac
10-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Not just world class, inhuman; no one in the recorded history of the NBA combine has broken 40": http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&source=All&sort=10

That's because Patrick Davidson was never invited;).

Jim3k
10-11-2011, 04:29 PM
On that list, DeMarcus Nelson is the highest flying Blue Devil at 34.5

Bojangles4Eva
10-11-2011, 05:19 PM

I went to Durham Academy where we competed against Christ School among other day/charter schools in the private school "states", and I can only remember one year when more than one person was recorded as jumping over 6'8" (one of these years was when Reggie Love was jumping for one of the Charlotte schools, forget which one he was at). For reference, one year I came in ranked 3rd with a jump of 5'10" and first was at 6'6", so if you can do 6'9" you are at an elite level for high school, and could probably be competitive for college (assuming you still developed). At a running 30" vert I could barely do 6'0", so I would think with a standing 40" Miles should be able to do better then 6'9" now.

So, I would say 6'9"+ high jump does correlate to a great vertical, seeing as the fosbury flop extends your ability to clear a bar only inches (~6 for good form) over the limits of your center of mass dictated by your vertical.

Greg_Newton
10-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Sorry for being nitpicky, but Miles simply does not have a 40" standing vert. I'm pretty sure that the next time his eyes are at rim level off of a standstill jump will be the first...

Nrrrrvous
10-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Sorry for being nitpicky, but Miles simply does not have a 40" standing vert. I'm pretty sure that the next time his eyes are at rim level off of a standstill jump will be the first...

Two years ago, his standing vertical was 36". Can we even assume that he has gained an inch? Maybe 2? If anyone has access to those numbers that they just measured, it sure would be interesting to know.

Newton_14
10-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Although the story of David Thompson's being able to make change for a quarter off the top of the backboard has been oft repeated, Thompson himself has categorically denied ever being able to do it. Thompson could fly, to be sure, but as time goes by the stories get more and more absurd. You want to see some serious hops just go to YouTube and watch some of the street ballers do slams. There's one guy who goes by the moniker "Air Up There" that is pretty incredible, and I don't think he's the absolute best. He has a patented 720 slam and there is video of it.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I have to challenge your memory on DT. I distinctively remember watching one of the weekly Norm Sloan shows when Thompson was at State and they did a special on this very thing. Now the "making change" portion is myth, but what they did show is this: They are filming this in Reynolds. DT shows his hand to the camera guy and he is holding a quarter. He gets a running start, jumps, and places the quarter on top of the backboard. He shows his now empty hand to the camera guy. He then jumps again, and walks back over to the camera guy and opens his hand to show the quarter again. They then show a replay of both of the jumps from a camera placed above the backboard where you can actually see him place, then remove the quarter from the top of the backboard.

That was on the Norm Sloan show in I believe the 74-75 Season which was DT's Sr year.

The guy could grab some air. The play where he got hurt in the NCAA Tourney was incredible as well. He basically flips over Phil Spence's shoulder on the play. DT was amazing. Still hands down the best player in the history of the ACC in my view. Also hands down the best opposing player to ever suit up in Cameron Indoor.

Greg_Newton
10-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Two years ago, his standing vertical was 36". Can we even assume that he has gained an inch? Maybe 2? If anyone has access to those numbers that they just measured, it sure would be interesting to know.

I'd certainly be interested to see them too.

I never believed the reported 36" standing/44-45" running vert for Miles, though. If that were true, he would a) have his head a mere two inches below the rim when dunking off of vertical, and b) have his entire head above the rim on fast-break dunks... not to mention be significantly more athletic than 90's Shaq, Dwight Howard, or any other big man in the history of the NBA, and most likely have the highest max vertical reach ever recorded.

I mean, he's a good athlete, but...

Seattledukie
10-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Talk about an injustice....

How do we have a thread about hoops guys with great hops, and not mention Carmen Wallace? ;)

And Marty Clark!

OldPhiKap
10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Marty Nessley could sky. And he never fouled.

Newton_14
10-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Any of you old-timer's remember a dude named Murray Jarman from Clemson? 6'6 with a 42 in vertical. He played center for Clemson between 80-84 holding his own against the likes of Ralph Sampson and Sam Perkins. Guy could jump out of the gym. He was fun to watch.

I found a link on Clemson's website with factoids on Jarman.
http://www.clemsontigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030607aaf.html

yancem
10-13-2011, 09:24 PM

Those numbers seem awful wonky to me. They list Sean May and Dahntay Jones as having the same vertical (30"). That can't be right.

Greg_Newton
10-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Those numbers seem awful wonky to me. They list Sean May and Dahntay Jones as having the same vertical (30"). That can't be right.

Possible for a standing vert, I suppose... DX usually uses official combine results. They do list their max verts at 33" and 39.5", respectively.

kmspeaks
10-14-2011, 04:19 PM

If there was a cheeseburger at the top of the measuring device Sean May gets it easy :D

CDu
10-14-2011, 04:56 PM
I'd certainly be interested to see them too.

I never believed the reported 36" standing/44-45" running vert for Miles, though. If that were true, he would a) have his head a mere two inches below the rim when dunking off of vertical, and b) have his entire head above the rim on fast-break dunks... not to mention be significantly more athletic than 90's Shaq, Dwight Howard, or any other big man in the history of the NBA, and most likely have the highest max vertical reach ever recorded.

I mean, he's a good athlete, but...

Yeah, I've always been amused by the discussion of 45+" vertical stories - especially because they're always based on anecdotal "evidence." Draft express has tracked the NBA combine results for the last 15 or so years. Only three guys have topped 43 inches in the max vertical measure at the combine, and they were all guards (two of them small guards). The best of leapers have ended up in the 40-43" range. That includes names like Tracy McGrady (40.0), Derrick Rose (40.0), Vince Carter (43.0), and Nate Robinson (43.5). Unbelievable leapers like Dahntay Jones (39.5), Jason Richardson (39.5), and DeMarcus Nelson (38.5) didn't reach 40 inches.

The highest-leaping big men are Tyrus Thomas (39.5), Mike Bell (39.5), and Ekene Ibekwe (39.0). So a 44.5" max vert would be, by a solid 5 inches, the highest recorded by someone at/about Miles's position at the combine in the last 10-15 years. I have to call shenanigans on the idea of Miles having a 10+% better max vertical than the next best guy at his position over the last 15 years.

AZLA
10-14-2011, 05:57 PM
If there was a cheeseburger at the top of the measuring device Sean May gets it easy :D

Ah yes... Kung Fu Panda training style is very persuasive.

basket1544
10-14-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not going to try to measure his hops, but I think tonight proved that Miles can jump! Loved Marshall's face as he turned around. He looked so scared.

phaedrus
10-14-2011, 10:37 PM
You are forgetting the best high jumper Duke basketball has ever seen, a guy who, according to GoDuke, had a higher vertical than both the Plumlees. It's time to insert some Johnson into this thread.