PDA

View Full Version : Fundraiser Q?

pokeresq
10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Wasn't the sale supposed to handle these things? I have given multiple times in the past, but that was to 3 guys running a site I liked, not to guys working for a company I don't know. Please provide an explanation.
Thanks

Julio
10-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Wasn't the sale supposed to handle these things? I have given multiple times in the past, but that was to 3 guys running a site I liked, not to guys working for a company I don't know. Please provide an explanation.
Thanks

Hi - first, thanks for all your help in the past.

We made the deal with SBN because it was getting harder and harder to do everything and to pay for everything. They provide the basic needs of the site, up to and including a small budget for bloggers. We've used that for Barry Jacobs, because I have worked with him on various projects over the last 15 years or so. I'm honestly not sure how much I can say about details like that but it's a fairly minor income stream for anyone past college age.

We asked SBN last year if they would be willing to fund other writers and while they declined, they were very supportive, as indeed they have been all along. So we did the fundraiser with Al and Jim, Duke grads like Barry, and they provided us with some wonderful content all season for a very reasonable price.

As for the extra content from the stillborn magazine, I feel awful that those guys aren't going to get paid. My thought was that it's a ton of great content, and if they were willing to take a chance on raising money for their work, then we'd see how that went. They all know there are no guarantees, but it beats chunking stuff in the trashcan.

So as far as it goes, SBN has done everything they promised to do and gone the extra mile in some ways, and they've allowed us a suprising amount of autonomy. We hope that people still appreciate the content enough to support a fundraiser and understand that what we raise goes directly to the writers. All those guys have been great to DBR and to the magazine and we want to maintain the friendships we've built.

Of course, we wouldn't ask anyone to help if they feel that they shouldn't or don't want to, so it won't hurt anybody's feelings if for whatever reason you'd rather not. It's awfully nice of people just to hang out here.

I hope that's a reasonable answer. If not, please e-mail me and we'll talk some more.

Julio

PaIronDuke
10-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi - first, thanks for all your help in the past.

We made the deal with SBN because it was getting harder and harder to do everything and to pay for everything. They provide the basic needs of the site, up to and including a small budget for bloggers. We've used that for Barry Jacobs, because I have worked with him on various projects over the last 15 years or so. I'm honestly not sure how much I can say about details like that but it's a fairly minor income stream for anyone past college age.

We asked SBN last year if they would be willing to fund other writers and while they declined, they were very supportive, as indeed they have been all along. So we did the fundraiser with Al and Jim, Duke grads like Barry, and they provided us with some wonderful content all season for a very reasonable price.

As for the extra content from the stillborn magazine, I feel awful that those guys aren't going to get paid. My thought was that it's a ton of great content, and if they were willing to take a chance on raising money for their work, then we'd see how that went. They all know there are no guarantees, but it beats chunking stuff in the trashcan.

So as far as it goes, SBN has done everything they promised to do and gone the extra mile in some ways, and they've allowed us a suprising amount of autonomy. We hope that people still appreciate the content enough to support a fundraiser and understand that what we raise goes directly to the writers. All those guys have been great to DBR and to the magazine and we want to maintain the friendships we've built.

Of course, we wouldn't ask anyone to help if they feel that they shouldn't or don't want to, so it won't hurt anybody's feelings if for whatever reason you'd rather not. It's awfully nice of people just to hang out here.

I hope that's a reasonable answer. If not, please e-mail me and we'll talk some more.

Julio

I, for one, respect you for an occasional shout out/give-out to those guys who have meant so much to the flavour of the site over the years and hope you will continue to ask for things to go in their direction when appropriate. After all, silence means "no thanks" and shouldn't offend anybody.

Having said that, I'm old-fashioned and prefer to send a check by mail but couldm't find an address aywhere on the site.

Mailing address, please.........