PDA

View Full Version : ESPN3 Questions

Skitzle
10-05-2011, 05:36 AM
Hey Guys,

If this is off toic please move it.

I live abroad and there is an ESPN college player i have signed up for the past 2 years (25 bucks a month).

I just realized that i can get access to ESPN3 via VPN

so here is my question:

Is every Duke basketball game available on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU available for replay on ESPN3 or only a select few?

Thanks,
Skitzle

nocilla
10-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Hey Guys,

If this is off toic please move it.

I live abroad and there is an ESPN college player i have signed up for the past 2 years (25 bucks a month).

I just realized that i can get access to ESPN3 via VPN

so here is my question:

Is every Duke basketball game available on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU available for replay on ESPN3 or only a select few?

Thanks,
Skitzle

I believe any game from the ESPN networks will also be available on ESPN3 or WatchESPN, whatever they are calling it now.

*update; This site explains it. http://espn.go.com/watchespn/about

SharkD
10-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Not to threadjack, but does anyone know how to get Cisco Anyconnect to pass all IP traffic through the VPN? (It appears to be set to use split tunneling. I'm using MacOS 10.6.x / iOS 4.x)

Unfortunately, when connected to the VPN, ESPN3.com sees the local IP address, rather than the remote IP. That, coupled with the fact that WSFL doesn't appear to be streaming games online, any longer, has made it difficult to follow football when out of town... and I don't want to miss basketball games.

Thanks.

UrinalCake
10-05-2011, 11:50 AM
I believe any game from the ESPN networks will also be available on ESPN3 or WatchESPN, whatever they are calling it now.

Not exactly; there are two different services:

- the watchespn website, formerly called ESPN3.com and before that it was called ESPN360.com, provides streams of many live sporting events. This is a subset of the events that are shown on TV by the family of ESPN networks. Last year almost all Duke games were covered, but not every one. A few of the early season games were not, and the UNC games were blacked out in some markets. There is no pre-set schedule for which games will be carried on the website, I think they decide a week or two beforehand based on which teams are doing well and which games should be the most popular. You can use the "upcoming" tab to view games that will be covered in the next week or so. After the games are over, they are available under the "Replay" area for about a week. This is really nice, but unfortunately you still have to watch the commercials.

In order to have access to the watchespn.com game feeds, you must have an ISP that carries it. Time Warner does, AT&T U-verse does, and providers to students on most college campuses do. I'm not sure about other ISP's and I really don't know about who carries it overseas. Some people whose ISP's do not carry watchespn will VPN into another network that does carry it. The most common example is people who stilll have their student accounts and can VPN into the Duke system and watch it from there.

- separately, if you have a TV subscription to ESPN, ESPN2, etc. and your service provider supports it, you can view these channels on the watchespn website or through a mobile device. These are the exact same channels that are shown on TV. The catch is that you have to have a TV subscription. In my case I get internet from AT&T U-verse but no cable TV, so I can access the individual event streams but not the full-time channels.

Hope this makes sense, and anyone please feel free to correct me if I am in error.

COYS
10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Not exactly; there are two different services:

- the watchespn website, formerly called ESPN3.com and before that it was called ESPN360.com, provides streams of many live sporting events. This is a subset of the events that are shown on TV by the family of ESPN networks. Last year almost all Duke games were covered, but not every one. A few of the early season games were not, and the UNC games were blacked out in some markets. There is no pre-set schedule for which games will be carried on the website, I think they decide a week or two beforehand based on which teams are doing well and which games should be the most popular. You can use the "upcoming" tab to view games that will be covered in the next week or so. After the games are over, they are available under the "Replay" area for about a week. This is really nice, but unfortunately you still have to watch the commercials.

In order to have access to the watchespn.com game feeds, you must have an ISP that carries it. Time Warner does, AT&T U-verse does, and providers to students on most college campuses do. I'm not sure about other ISP's and I really don't know about who carries it overseas. Some people whose ISP's do not carry watchespn will VPN into another network that does carry it. The most common example is people who stilll have their student accounts and can VPN into the Duke system and watch it from there.

- separately, if you have a TV subscription to ESPN, ESPN2, etc. and your service provider supports it, you can view these channels on the watchespn website or through a mobile device. These are the exact same channels that are shown on TV. The catch is that you have to have a TV subscription. In my case I get internet from AT&T U-verse but no cable TV, so I can access the individual event streams but not the full-time channels.

Hope this makes sense, and anyone please feel free to correct me if I am in error.

This is completely accurate. WatchESPN.com will get you the vast majority of the games. I don't have cable because i simply don't watch enough TV to justify the price. Part of the reason I felt fine letting go of cable was because I can watch almost all Duke games via WatchESPN (formerly ESPN3 and ESPN360). That combined with Hulu, Netflix, and a few other streaming sites means that I can watch virtually all sporting events and TV shows that I follow at my own convenience. I am often busy in the evenings and can't catch Duke games live. It's fun to be able to watch it later on replay. By skipping half time and timeouts (skip ahead 2 minutes for every TV timeout, 1 minute for every full timeout, and 15 minutes for halftime), I can condense a 2 hour game into 1.25 hours or so. You just have to make sure you don't answer your phone before you get a chance to see it, lest you discover the outcome before you see the game!

UrinalCake
10-05-2011, 02:24 PM
My wife and I ditched cable about three years ago and haven't looked back. Raycom's website streams the UNC games (if you're in an area where ESPN has it blacked out) as well as the ACC tournament, plus a host of other ACC games. The NCAA tournament is streamed by CBS, they do an excellent job. For everything else, there are a handful of, shall we say, less than 100% legitimate options that I've at times fallen back on. But for the most part it's a whole lot easier to follow the Devils without having cable than it was just a couple years ago. Heck, even the China/Dubai games were shown on ESPN3

southgater
10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
This is completely accurate. WatchESPN.com will get you the vast majority of the games. I don't have cable because i simply don't watch enough TV to justify the price. Part of the reason I felt fine letting go of cable was because I can watch almost all Duke games via WatchESPN (formerly ESPN3 and ESPN360). That combined with Hulu, Netflix, and a few other streaming sites means that I can watch virtually all sporting events and TV shows that I follow at my own convenience. I am often busy in the evenings and can't catch Duke games live. It's fun to be able to watch it later on replay. By skipping half time and timeouts (skip ahead 2 minutes for every TV timeout, 1 minute for every full timeout, and 15 minutes for halftime), I can condense a 2 hour game into 1.25 hours or so. You just have to make sure you don't answer your phone before you get a chance to see it, lest you discover the outcome before you see the game!

I also watch all of the games on ESPN3 via my Verizon FIOS service as I don't have cable. I usually wait and watch them after they finish for the same reasons as COYS mentioned - more convenient timing and ability to skip commercials and half time. However, once in a while I find myself wanting to start watching a game after it has started but not yet finished. For example, start watching at 8 PM for a game that started at 7. For this, I would like to be able to start watching from the beginning so as not to miss anything, but unfortunately, I haven't seen a way to do this - its either start watching from where it currently is or wait until it's over and then watch from the begiinning. Do any of you know how to start watching from the beginning while the game is still going on? I thought I saw someone mention doing this last year.
Thanks,
Southgater

dukee94
10-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Not to threadjack, but does anyone know how to get Cisco Anyconnect to pass all IP traffic through the VPN? (It appears to be set to use split tunneling. I'm using MacOS 10.6.x / iOS 4.x)

Unfortunately, when connected to the VPN, ESPN3.com sees the local IP address, rather than the remote IP. That, coupled with the fact that WSFL doesn't appear to be streaming games online, any longer, has made it difficult to follow football when out of town... and I don't want to miss basketball games.

Thanks.

Do you know/control what you are connecting to? Split tunneling should be a policy setting where the vpn terminates. If you are connecting to something like an ASA and you can configure it, turning off split tunneling should be relatively straightforward. Check out http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080975e83.sht ml to get an idea of how it looks. Again, this is for an ASA and assuming you have access to configure it, this link is actually to enable tunneling, but should give you a good idea of how not to enable it.

m g
10-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks.

When I do that it works perfectly, and I have never changed the settings... try re-installing? Or getting Windows?

Skitzle
10-05-2011, 05:25 PM
thanks for all the help! looks like im going with USA vpn over the more expensive espnplayer. It comes with the added bonus of hulu spotify and pandora!! woohoo

-Skitz

SCMatt33
10-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Just to add a little to this, ESPN has two different services. WatchESPN is now the website on which both appear so they are a little harder to separate. If you have access to the full WatchESPN (which is available to TV subscribers of Verizon, Bright House, and Time Warner), you can watch any ESPN channel at any time (including non-sporting event shows). Most people, however, only have access to the ESPN3 portion of the site. ESPN 3 has many exclusive games, plus it will usually simulcast games from ESPN and ESPN2. Unless something changes, they do NOT normally simulcast games from ESPNU. This means that the several Duke games, including Sunday night ACC games, will likely NOT be available by legal means online. I'm not 100% that all ESPNU games won't be on there, but I haven't come across one yet. I just moved to Florida (Port St. Lucie area), and got a full HD package from Comcast. For some reason ESPNU is still on the sports tier here and not the digital tier like it is everywhere else I have lived. I will be in the same boat as you for those games unless something changes.

UrinalCake
10-05-2011, 10:34 PM
...once in a while I find myself wanting to start watching a game after it has started but not yet finished.... Do any of you know how to start watching from the beginning while the game is still going on?

I don't know of any way to do this, as the positioning controls are disabled during live viewing. The "replay" version isn't posted until a little while after the game finishes, like maybe an hour.

COYS, how do you skip over the commercials? When I try to reposition the stream past them it still makes me watch them, or it puts up a screen that says something like "Please wait, your video is being loaded."

msdukie
10-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Just to add a little to this, ESPN has two different services. WatchESPN is now the website on which both appear so they are a little harder to separate. If you have access to the full WatchESPN (which is available to TV subscribers of Verizon, Bright House, and Time Warner), you can watch any ESPN channel at any time (including non-sporting event shows). Most people, however, only have access to the ESPN3 portion of the site. ESPN 3 has many exclusive games, plus it will usually simulcast games from ESPN and ESPN2. Unless something changes, they do NOT normally simulcast games from ESPNU. This means that the several Duke games, including Sunday night ACC games, will likely NOT be available by legal means online. I'm not 100% that all ESPNU games won't be on there, but I haven't come across one yet. I just moved to Florida (Port St. Lucie area), and got a full HD package from Comcast. For some reason ESPNU is still on the sports tier here and not the digital tier like it is everywhere else I have lived. I will be in the same boat as you for those games unless something changes.

Just to clarify, all ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater programing is available on WatchESPN (which as noted above is only available for Bright House/Time Warner/Verizon TV subscribers). ESPN3 is accessible to non-subscribers on WatchESPN's site, but not the rest of the site, ESPN3 simulcasts only live games on ESPN and ESPN 2 plus ESPN 3 exclusive games. On rare occassions, though not usually, ESPNU games (such as the Friendship Games) are picked up on ESPN3.

gep
10-06-2011, 12:10 AM
COYS, how do you skip over the commercials? When I try to reposition the stream past them it still makes me watch them, or it puts up a screen that says something like "Please wait, your video is being loaded."

For me... hover your mouse over the red progress line... then the "slider" shows up. Click and hold on the "slider", and move forward a bit. Let go, and the event continues at that point... probably what you're doing. Maybe it's browser related? Try another browser? I know I've had some inconsistencies with Chrome every now-and-then. I use FireFox almost exclusively for ESPN3.

SharkD
10-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Do you know/control what you are connecting to? Split tunneling should be a policy setting where the vpn terminates. If you are connecting to something like an ASA and you can configure it, turning off split tunneling should be relatively straightforward. Check out http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080975e83.sht ml to get an idea of how it looks. Again, this is for an ASA and assuming you have access to configure it, this link is actually to enable tunneling, but should give you a good idea of how not to enable it.

That's what I was afraid of (and what I'd come across when I'd researched this, last week). Somehow, I don't think OIT would appreciate me monkeying with the Cisco hardware/VPN settings.

When I do that it works perfectly, and I have never changed the settings... try re-installing? Or getting Windows?

Are you connecting to the Duke VPN? If not, it could be that your VPN has a different setup.

snowdenscold
10-06-2011, 04:03 PM
That's what I was afraid of (and what I'd come across when I'd researched this, last week). Somehow, I don't think OIT would appreciate me monkeying with the Cisco hardware/VPN settings.

Are you connecting to the Duke VPN? If not, it could be that your VPN has a different setup.

Depending on what AnyConnect is configured to do, it might also be possible to manually manipulate the 'routing table' on your computer. That is, if you have two different default routes, one for local, one for the VPN - you can delete the local one and try to force all default traffic out your VPN. Or try to find the IP's ESPN3 uses and add those instead with the next hop on the VPN network.

You would do "route delete ...." or "route add ...." in DOS, not sure on a Mac though.