PDA

View Full Version : Laettner to Coach UK Villains Game

KYtotheCore
10-04-2011, 06:13 PM
At least according to those who follow his twitter account. Saw it on the UK board. I think it would be a GREAT idea! The irony would just be so fitting and would be a great marketing move. Also saw where someone suggested having Aminu Timberlake as UK's coach and wearing a T-shirt with a footprint on it. Laettner serves as an important personality in the history of UK basketball and would be a fantastic choice. He and Pitino's commercial together was so smart and hilarious. I hope he does it! Good luck this season.

2008grad
10-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes this is official. I agree this is a great PR move that has the potential to make a lot of money and could be a lot of fun...but I have heard quite a bit of outrage here in Lexington. In addition, a lot of UK fans are concerned that someone will do something stupid making the UK fan base look very, very bad. I hope it goes smoothly and everyone has a great time, but I'm super concerned and hope there is a substantial amount of security. The hate that UK fans have for Duke is strong, but it is substantially stronger for Christian.

davekay1971
10-05-2011, 01:58 PM
I saw a patient today, we got talking about basketball, turns out he is a KY fan. When I told him I'm a Dukie, he told me he really doesn't like Duke, ever since "the stomp."

I told him, "You Kentucky fans all call it a stomp. We call it a tap."

jimsumner
10-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I saw a patient today, we got talking about basketball, turns out he is a KY fan. When I told him I'm a Dukie, he told me he really doesn't like Duke, ever since "the stomp."

I told him, "You Kentucky fans all call it a stomp. We call it a tap."

It was actually taunting-by-foot. Absolutely unsportsmanlike conduct and that was what the officials called. But every day I bump a shin on a table leg with more force.

NSDukeFan
10-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Yes this is official. I agree this is a great PR move that has the potential to make a lot of money and could be a lot of fun...but I have heard quite a bit of outrage here in Lexington. In addition, a lot of UK fans are concerned that someone will do something stupid making the UK fan base look very, very bad. I hope it goes smoothly and everyone has a great time, but I'm super concerned and hope there is a substantial amount of security. The hate that UK fans have for Duke is strong, but it is substantially stronger for Christian.
Isn't a bit late to be worrying about that.

It was actually taunting-by-foot. Absolutely unsportsmanlike conduct and that was what the officials called. But every day I bump a shin on a table leg with more force.

You should probably move that table.

jimsumner
10-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Isn't a bit late to be worrying about that.

You should probably move that table.

But where would I put my feet when I fall asleep watching TV?

ACCBBallFan
10-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Here's the interview:

http://www.talkradio1080.com/player/?station=WKJK-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=ksrshow.xml&mid=21467299

Sounds like UK villians may include Rudy Gay, Kemba Walker, Tyler Hansbrough.

nmduke2001
10-05-2011, 10:24 PM
It would be epic if Laettner goes Bill Russell and puts himself in the game.

basket1544
10-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Christian's going to coach a game with Hans-travel in it? My brain may explode.

wilko
10-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Is this like the Globetrotters vs: the Generals where the outcome is predetermined?
I imagine a giant sinkhole forming if the Villains win...

KYtotheCore
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
http://www.lex18.com/news/it-s-tough-to-hate-the-most-hated-man-in-kentucky

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Does anybody know who is playing for the "Villains"?
Love, Ima

KYtotheCore
10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't think anyone has been officially announced yet. I think they got the coach right though:) Should be fun. I heard he wants to address the crowd. That should be interesting, to say the least.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-06-2011, 05:10 PM
I was recently at a wedding (I was the best man) in which the bride attended UK and lives in Kentucky. Many of her friends there were big UK fans and found out that I was a hard core Duke fan. I got and gave out some playful ribbing, until one of her friends' husbands took it as a personal offense that I was a Duke fan. I still can't believe how heated our conversation about basketball was. It was like he thought I was the Devil (pun intended) himself. I have lived in both Chapel Hill and the DC area and haven't ever felt that sort of hated before.

I suggest Christian bring a security team.

MChambers
10-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I suggest Christian bring a security team.
Maybe he could just bring Nate James.

KYtotheCore
10-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Love it! I might recommend a little eyebrow work though . . . UK fans are giving him BIG props.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LyEzE5MZ8Do

77devil
10-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Enes Kanter playing, really? Shouldn't one have played an actual game for KY to be a Big Blue All Star? :D Go Villians.

El_Diablo
10-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Does anybody know who is playing for the "Villains"?
Love, Ima

Rosters are not yet finalized, but it sounds like the following players are in:

UK
-Enes Kanter
-John Wall
-Rajon Rondo
-DeMarcus Cousins
-Chuck Hayes
-Jodie Meeks
-Tayshaun Prince
-Nazr Mohammed

Villains
-Nolan Smith (Duke)
-Tyler Hansbrough (UNC)
-Terrence Williams (Louisville)
-Rudy Gay (Connecticut)
-Kenneth Faried (Morehead State)
-Shelvin Mack (Butler)
-Zach Randolph (Michigan State)
-Eric Gordon (Indiana)

Apparently they are also trying to get Joakim Noah (Florida) to play for the Villains. Again, this is subject to change, and it might be scrapped entirely if the NBA lockout is resolved beforehand.

Dev11
10-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Villains
-Nolan Smith (Duke)

I'm surprised they picked a guy they never played against, even if he is from a school they consider a villain. Also, choosing Nolan as a villain is proof that the organizers have no souls, but that is besides the point here.

El_Diablo
10-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm surprised they picked a guy they never played against, even if he is from a school they consider a villain. Also, choosing Nolan as a villain is proof that the organizers have no souls, but that is besides the point here.

Yeah, they probably offered Nolan more for what was on the front of his jersey than what was on the back. And I think half of the Villains never played a game against Kentucky.

devildeac
10-07-2011, 09:34 AM
But where would I put my feet when I fall asleep watching TV?

Leather ottoman. Softer. More decorative. Safer.

Lord Ash
10-07-2011, 09:52 AM
That UK team is stacked as hell.

Wonder what the villains jerseys look like? Wish they could wear their actual school jerseys... or maybe a "primary color is black" version of them so they look right?

devildeac
10-07-2011, 10:49 AM
We should have a contest about when Laettner picks up his 1st T. On the ride to the arena? Upon entry? During warm-ups?

Lennies
10-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Yeah, they probably offered Nolan more for what was on the front of his jersey than what was on the back. And I think half of the Villains never played a game against Kentucky.

The Louisville connection probably helped, too.

JG Nothing
10-07-2011, 02:42 PM
The Louisville connection probably helped, too.

A lot of the villians mentioned are from the area (Gordon and Randolph are from Indiana, Mack is from Lexington, etc.) or played at other universities in Kentucky.

devildeac
10-07-2011, 03:07 PM
"Of course, security will have to be beefed up for his arrival. Some UK fans still wear T-shirts with Laettner-hating slogans.

“The entire Kentucky State Police force will be on call for this one,” Sheppard said.

19 years later. Unbelievable.

Jarhead
10-07-2011, 03:59 PM
"Of course, security will have to be beefed up for his arrival. Some UK fans still wear T-shirts with Laettner-hating slogans.

“The entire Kentucky State Police force will be on call for this one,” Sheppard said.

...And what will this do to the long, hateful rivalry between Duke and UK? Will there be no more Duke vs Kentucky threads discussing the varied virtues of barbecue? Please, Christian, don't shake hands with anybody up there. Don't even smile, unless your Villains win?
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/icon_fight.gif

Indoor66
10-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Kanter never played for Kentucky. Why is he on their squad? That would be like Duke putting Kobe or Humphries on one of their alumni teams. Ridiculous.

gep
10-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Didn't Kanter enroll at Kentucky? At least a student at one time?

devildeac
10-07-2011, 07:51 PM

From a supermarket in Kentucky in April, 2011:

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/download/file.php?id=1126&t=1

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/download/file.php?id=1127&t=1

uh_no
10-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Kanter never played for Kentucky. Why is he on their squad? That would be like Duke putting Kobe or Humphries on one of their alumni teams. Ridiculous.

are you really THAT concerned?Its a charity game, and no doubt UK fans will come out to see him play.

CameronBornAndBred
10-11-2011, 11:05 AM
http://youtu.be/LyEzE5MZ8Do