PDA

View Full Version : Phase II - Football 2011

Wander
10-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Why not? The team deserves more serious attention. I'm calling the second phase the rest of October - that's the upcoming bye week and games against FSU, Wake, and Virginia Tech.

1. Can Duke stay reasonably healthy?
Just like basketball, this is paramount. Unlike basketball, multiple major injuries are guaranteed - you just hope they don't pile onto a single position. Duke's talent is upgraded from the Roof years, but we're obviously still not a team that has star players in reserve. An injury at certain positions - which I'll superstitiously avoid mentioning - would be devastating.

2. Have Juwon Thompson and the offensive line established a running game?
I'm speaking relatively here. For too many years, Duke's running game was miserable, with an awkward rotation of backs and an offensive line that was simply in over their heads talent-wise. Our identity will and should be as a passing team, but for the past few games, our rush has been good enough to keep defenses honest and do some damage. You could argue part of that is due to lousy defenses, but I think at least some has to be attributed to genuine improvement. Is this going to continue, and how do you factor in Desmond Scott coming back from injury when Thompson has been playing so well?

3. Is Will Snyderwine fixed?
The Duke kicking game used to be the absolute worst unit I've ever seen in college sports. I don't say this to keep piling on previous Duke teams, but for me personally, seeing Cutcliffe turn our biggest weakness into a strength in his first season was one of the things that immediately made me a believer in his coaching abilities (anyone else remember Joe Surgan's 50+ yarder during Cut's first year?). We all know that our preseason all-ACC kicker got off to a rough start. If that was just a statistical fluke or a hiccup related to injuries, and Will reverts back to the form we've seen him capable of, our chances of success go up immensely.

4. Does the defense have a pass rush in them?
As loran said in another thread, it seems our defense is being forced to choose between guarding big plays and guarding medium plays, but not both. As a result, we've been giving up a lot of yardage. A pass rush will help that. We hit some bad luck and lost our best pass rusher to injury, but we need to find a way to work around that. This is probably the biggest area for improvement, and it's something to watch going forward.

5. How will Duke's recent success translate to more talented opponents?
Two of our next three games are against FSU and Virginia Tech. There's no way around it - they're both vastly more talented, and either victory would be a huge upset. But I wouldn't lose hope. Duke put up a good fight against Stanford for a half, the games are at home, we get an extra week to prepare for FSU, and neither team is as good as the Cardinal. We're no longer a team that doesn't have to be taken seriously. I think everyone agrees that the improvements since the Stanford game are partially genuine and partially due to mediocre opponents, but the next three games are going to tell us the degrees of each.

6. Is the team mentally strong?
Jim Sumner pointed out after the Richmond loss that the team's psyche seemed a little fragile - that the team expected to score on their first possession, and was deflated afterward. Let's say some of the worse scenarios happen. If Duke gets routed by FSU after two weeks of preparation, do we still play our best game against Wake Forest? If Duke loses a heartbreaker to Wake (again, ugh), do we still believe we have a shot at Virginia Tech? The team needs to realize the schedule for October is tough, and not let the season start spiraling out control if the losses begin to pile up.

7. Does Duke have a home field advantage?
All three games are at home! If we want to start throwing the B-word around, Duke absolutely needs one of these wins. I've stayed away from criticizing lack of fan support, but we desperately need to take advantage of the fact that the team isn't going to leave Durham for an entire month.

uh_no
10-03-2011, 03:10 PM
word I heard from a person close to the team was that snyderwine wasn't 100% coming into the season, causing some of the issues, and he aggravated it on the onside attempt

loldevilz
10-03-2011, 03:15 PM
The bye week can't come at a better time. Moore, Butler and a few more should be back in time for FSU. Of course, the loss of Anunike will hurt for the rest of the season. Hopefully, they can refuel for the true start of ACC play.

There is definitely improvement. I was impressed that we were able to run the ball when it mattered last game, scoring two rushing TDs, but the production needs to be improved. Thompson is definitely our best back and Dez Scott should only be used as a backup. Plus, I still want to see Jamison Crowder get a few more reverses every game. I really believe that he is just gonna break through one of these games for an 80 yard TD.

Hopefully.

Its getting better, still not where you'd like it. We had more sacks than our opponents last game which is nice.

I'm optimistic. I don't think we have a shot against FSU, but we can at least hope to not get routed. Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech are all really tough games but I'm hoping that we can win the turnover battle or two and keep maybe pull off the upset. We have the ability to be a really explosive offense, so I definitely think we can put up points, but the truth is that this schedule is really tough. Even Wake looks really good. But hey, at least we don't play Clemson!

I believe it is. You don't pull out two nail bitters like that and not be mentally tough. This team definitely has an edge and a desire to win. I don't think they will be rattled by anyone.

Probably not. But the nice thing is that Duke seems to be a pretty good road team.

CDu
10-03-2011, 03:25 PM
There is definitely improvement. I was impressed that we were able to run the ball when it mattered last game, scoring two rushing TDs, but the production needs to be improved. Thompson is definitely our best back and Dez Scott should only be used as a backup. Plus, I still want to see Jamison Crowder get a few more reverses every game. I really believe that he is just gonna break through one of these games for an 80 yard TD.

Have actually seen any reverses run for Crowder, or have we just seen end-arounds? I don't remember any actual reverses, but I do remember some end-arounds.

I agree he has game-breaking speed, though. It seems like he's just not making guys miss by quite enough. It's exciting to see him get the ball.

Duke of Nashville
10-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Why not? The team deserves more serious attention. I'm calling the second phase the rest of October - that's the upcoming bye week and games against FSU, Wake, and Virginia Tech.

Just like basketball, this is paramount. Unlike basketball, multiple major injuries are guaranteed - you just hope they don't pile onto a single position. Duke's talent is upgraded from the Roof years, but we're obviously still not a team that has star players in reserve. An injury at certain positions - which I'll superstitiously avoid mentioning - would be devastating.

No more play-action rolls to the weak side, please.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Hopefully.

No (at least not that I know of...). And his foot is still injured too. ;) This comes first hand from the (male) person closest to Will, not on the team. Last week is the first week that he started to feel any improvement/reduction in pain in his injury since training camp, which is a good sign. And hopefully the trend will continue during the off week and into the FSU game. His confidence, i.e., his mind, has "been fixed" with his success the last two weeks!

loran16
10-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Have actually seen any reverses run for Crowder, or have we just seen end-arounds? I don't remember any actual reverses, but I do remember some end-arounds.

I agree he has game-breaking speed, though. It seems like he's just not making guys miss by quite enough. It's exciting to see him get the ball.

Just end-arounds. But announcers mistake the two really frequently, as they did in the last game.

Reverses were a common Ted Roof Gimmick. I wouldn't mind a Flea Flicker though.

OldPhiKap
10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Just end-arounds. But announcers mistake the two really frequently, as they did in the last game.

Reverses were a common Ted Roof Gimmick. I wouldn't mind a Flea Flicker though.

Stanford used one against us early, IIRC.

THAT'S how bad we scared 'em. Chickens.

Newton_14
10-03-2011, 09:24 PM

I'm speaking relatively here. For too many years, Duke's running game was miserable, with an awkward rotation of backs and an offensive line that was simply in over their heads talent-wise. Our identity will and should be as a passing team, but for the past few games, our rush has been good enough to keep defenses honest and do some damage. You could argue part of that is due to lousy defenses, but I think at least some has to be attributed to genuine improvement. Is this going to continue, and how do you factor in Desmond Scott coming back from injury when Thompson has been playing so well?

The Duke kicking game used to be the absolute worst unit I've ever seen in college sports. I don't say this to keep piling on previous Duke teams, but for me personally, seeing Cutcliffe turn our biggest weakness into a strength in his first season was one of the things that immediately made me a believer in his coaching abilities (anyone else remember Joe Surgan's 50+ yarder during Cut's first year?). We all know that our preseason all-ACC kicker got off to a rough start. If that was just a statistical fluke or a hiccup related to injuries, and Will reverts back to the form we've seen him capable of, our chances of success go up immensely.

As loran said in another thread, it seems our defense is being forced to choose between guarding big plays and guarding medium plays, but not both. As a result, we've been giving up a lot of yardage. A pass rush will help that. We hit some bad luck and lost our best pass rusher to injury, but we need to find a way to work around that. This is probably the biggest area for improvement, and it's something to watch going forward.

Two of our next three games are against FSU and Virginia Tech. There's no way around it - they're both vastly more talented, and either victory would be a huge upset. But I wouldn't lose hope. Duke put up a good fight against Stanford for a half, the games are at home, we get an extra week to prepare for FSU, and neither team is as good as the Cardinal. We're no longer a team that doesn't have to be taken seriously. I think everyone agrees that the improvements since the Stanford game are partially genuine and partially due to mediocre opponents, but the next three games are going to tell us the degrees of each.

Jim Sumner pointed out after the Richmond loss that the team's psyche seemed a little fragile - that the team expected to score on their first possession, and was deflated afterward. Let's say some of the worse scenarios happen. If Duke gets routed by FSU after two weeks of preparation, do we still play our best game against Wake Forest? If Duke loses a heartbreaker to Wake (again, ugh), do we still believe we have a shot at Virginia Tech? The team needs to realize the schedule for October is tough, and not let the season start spiraling out control if the losses begin to pile up.

All three games are at home! If we want to start throwing the B-word around, Duke absolutely needs one of these wins. I've stayed away from criticizing lack of fan support, but we desperately need to take advantage of the fact that the team isn't going to leave Durham for an entire month.

Great idea for a thread, and we definitely need to make it a new staple for Football threads in the future. Great analysis also. You hit on several key points imo. Great job!

I am really bummed here. Not at JT or the O-Line, both are much improved. I am bummed that the running game is not going to approach the level it would have approacehd without the injuries. Do not want to go Tom O'Brien and harp on injuries (seriously Tom, give it a rest), but it hurts to have seen Desmond pre-injury, and know it will take some magical healing to get him back to that level this year. I think the fact that he got hurt against Richmond, combined with the fact we lost the game, causes folks to maybe not realize just how well he ran the ball that game. He ran the ball incredibly well that night, and look poised to have a great year. Had Desmond not went down, and had Josh not gotten hurt, I feel our running game would have take significant steps forward. The running game is still improved, and Thompson has been really good. If we can Desmond back to say, 90%, and get Josh back in the mix, we should be able to run the ball effectively, even against ACC opponents. At least effectively enough to take pressure off of the passing game. Next year, I fully expect us to have a running game that teams will have to respect.

Kicking FG's is a little bit like shooting free throws, and making putt's. Seeing the darn thing go through the goal posts does wonders for the mind! Will's confidence appears to be back, and all the reports are indicating the injury is healing up. We just may have our 1st Team All-American caliber kicker back soon. Will is a valuable, heck, invaluable weapon. Many a game has come down to a FG, so having a healthy Will Snyderwine may push us over the top in 1 or 2 key games down the road.

These two go hand in hand imo. The 3 wins in a row should go a long way in repairing the mental damage the Richmond game caused. It looks like the guys have their mojo back, and it is critical. They have to run out of that tunnel in every game believing they can not only compete, but that they can win. The positive we can already take from the 3 wins, is that unlike last year, we did not lose 2 or 3 games on the same Saturday when we lost to Richmond and Stanford. I thought the Alabama game last year cost us the next 2 games as well. The Wake loss last year might have combined with the Alabama loss to put them in the post-Bama funk, or it could have just been the Bama hangover alone. Either way, this season, the guys did not allow that to happen. That's more evidence of progress made in the program in my view.

I am looking forward to the tough stretch coming up, to see how well the guys can perform against some really good competition.

devildeac
10-03-2011, 10:44 PM
word I heard from a person close to the team was that snyderwine wasn't 100% coming into the season, causing some of the issues, and he aggravated it on the onside attempt

That is indeed correct and I have heard that from more than one reliable source.

Newton_14
10-03-2011, 10:51 PM
That is indeed correct and I have heard that from more than one reliable source.

Yeah, I really wish the initial injury would have been disclosed. Kid took a lot of unfair criticism in those first two games. Had folks known he was injured, it likely would have quelled some of that. (Not that it was fair anyway, but that is another story altogether).

Good to hear he is on the road to recovery.

Duvall
10-08-2011, 02:58 PM
May be time to rethink the assessment of the next three games...

Bob Green
10-08-2011, 03:05 PM
May be time to rethink the assessment of the next three games...

I agree. For starters, Wake Forest looks more formidable than Florida State. There is lots of football left to be played this afternoon, but Wake has a 25-17 lead in the 3rd quarter.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-08-2011, 03:14 PM
I agree. For starters, Wake Forest looks more formidable than Florida State. There is lots of football left to be played this afternoon, but Wake has a 25-17 lead in the 3rd quarter.
This is one of the reason I love college football! Wonderful play, sometimes unexpected. I love seeing FL State's weak side exploited. The day is coming when Duke's going to be the spoiler.

And then we have Carolina in a come from behind win over Louisville. Bless their hearts! Whoopeeeeee do!

jimsumner
10-08-2011, 03:22 PM
This is one of the reason I love college football! Wonderful play, sometimes unexpected. I love seeing FL State's weak side exploited. The day is coming when Duke's going to be the spoiler.

And then we have Carolina in a come from behind win over Louisville. Bless their hearts! Whoopeeeeee do!

The same Louisville team that lost at home to the same FIU team that lost at home to Duke.

Yes, I know all about the transitive property and sports. Still . . .

Bob Green
10-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Wake Forest 32, Florida State 17. It is starting to look like the Seminoles will arrive at Wallace Wade Stadium with a 2-3 record riding a three game losing streak.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-08-2011, 03:47 PM
The same Louisville team that lost at home to the same FIU team that lost at home to Duke.

Yes, I know all about the transitive property and sports. Still . . .
It's all part of the exciting and unpredictable outcomes. A big week coming up in Durham.....

Bob Green
10-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Final score: Wake Forest 35, Florida State 30.

Next week's game will feature two teams riding three game streaks. Duke has won three in a row, while Florida State has lost three in a row.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Next week's game will feature two teams riding three game streaks. Duke has won three in a row, while Florida State has lost three in a row.
I expect Florida State to do whatever they can to shake off the terrible feeling of losing. It's an emotion they aren't familiar with, a very uncomfortable feeling. It doesn't fit the program's self perception of being invincible.

Duke, on the other hand, is working to develop the attitude and expectation of winning..... there's more pressure on Florida State at this point. I expect to see a determined Duke team come out of the tunnel.

What a great game to look forward to!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Did somebody say ... S T R E A K! I'm always up for a good streak! :cool::eek::eek::eek: May the streaks continue several more weeks!!!

peloton
10-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Curse you Ozzie! I realize it's the month for all things scary and you've certainly managed to conjure up a frightening image in my mind! :D

Go Blue Devils! Let's take down the 'Noles!

devildeac
10-09-2011, 10:32 AM
This is all very fascinating with the WFU win over f$u. Do we look at it and worry that the Deacs are that good and we have less winnable games on the schedule? Or, do we look at it Ozzie-ically and think we now have 7 winnable games on the schedule with unc "thrashing" L'ville and VT winning in the last minute over Miami and thinking some of our foes on the horizon are less formidable than we once thought. I'll be in Ozzie's camp with this line of thought.

davekay1971
10-09-2011, 10:46 AM
No one in the ACC looks unbeatable right now, and unpredictability is the only thing predictable so far. So much depends on which team shows up on any given day. Is Wake as good as their record, or did FSU just lay a tremendous egg? Is Va Tech's offense as bad as it looked against Clemson, or as good as it looked against Miami? UNC hasn't overwhelmed anyone this year, winning some games against lousy teams, looking respectable against Ga Tech, and looking terrible yesterday. State's defense is truly, truly awful.

I think we're underdogs in all our remaining games. But they all look winnable. As fans, that's a great thing, to start off every Saturday feeling like, if we play well and minimize big letdowns and turnovers, we have a chance to win.

House G
10-09-2011, 10:58 AM
No one in the ACC looks unbeatable right now, and unpredictability is the only thing predictable so far. So much depends on which team shows up on any given day. Is Wake as good as their record, or did FSU just lay a tremendous egg? Is Va Tech's offense as bad as it looked against Clemson, or as good as it looked against Miami? UNC hasn't overwhelmed anyone this year, winning some games against lousy teams, looking respectable against Ga Tech, and looking terrible yesterday. State's defense is truly, truly awful.

I think we're underdogs in all our remaining games. But they all look winnable. As fans, that's a great thing, to start off every Saturday feeling like, if we play well and minimize big letdowns and turnovers, we have a chance to win.

Perhaps Florida St. was looking ahead. :)

jimsumner
10-09-2011, 11:29 AM

Clemson looks like the cream of the ACC crop, depending on Boyd's status. But Clemson isn't on Duke's schedule.

I'm curious as to the oft-stated Duke-will-be-underdogs-in-all-its-remaining-games-viewpoint. What part of Virginia's season so far suggests they should be favored over Duke? The Hoos barely beat Idaho at home. And it's not like Virginia has owned Duke in recent years.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-09-2011, 11:44 AM
This is all very fascinating with the WFU win over f$u. Do we look at it and worry that the Deacs are that good and we have less winnable games on the schedule? Or, do we look at it Ozzie-ically and think we now have 7 winnable games on the schedule with unc "thrashing" L'ville and VT winning in the last minute over Miami and thinking some of our foes on the horizon are less formidable than we once thought. I'll be in Ozzie's camp with this line of thought.
Welcome aboard the Blue Devil Express, Devildeac! Bowl bound this season! :cool:

Duvall
10-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Clemson looks like the cream of the ACC crop, depending on Boyd's status. But Clemson isn't on Duke's schedule.

I'm curious as to the oft-stated Duke-will-be-underdogs-in-all-its-remaining-games-viewpoint. What part of Virginia's season so far suggests they should be favored over Duke? The Hoos barely beat Idaho at home. And it's not like Virginia has owned Duke in recent years.

It's a holdover from three weeks ago, when Virginia was 2-0 with a win over a BCS opponent and Duke was 0-2. The game looks more like a tossup now, but home field advantage should tip Vegas towards UVa.

-bdbd
10-09-2011, 01:04 PM

I certainly agree that, unlike in many years past, NO GAMES REMAINING LOOK UNWINABLE. And I don't expect any - unless things change between now and then - to be much (if any) more than a ten-point spread. I expect us to be competitive in most of them - IOW, enetering the 4th Q with a chance to win. We are certainly in the hunt for Bowl eligibility. Of the seven remaining, I'd expect at least three to be VERY close (if not Duke leads) entering the 4th. I'd expect another two to be "winable" at that point, and maybe one or two to be "looking poorly" entering the 4th. There's no reason that we can't pull out three and make a bowl. That becomes especially true if we can pull out one where we were expected to be heavy underdogs - FSU, VPI, GT. Wake showed us the formula on how/where FSU is vulnerable, and VPI has certainly looked less than unbeatable. As much as any year in the last decade, I see this as one where we really could knock off an "upper tier" ACC squad. :eek:

Kinda nice to be in mid-October and still be talking in a meaningful way about bowl eligibility. :p

Date Opponent Result
Sep. 3 Richmond L 21-23
Sep. 10 Stanford L 14-44
Sep. 17 at Boston College W 20-19
Sep. 24 Tulane W 48-27
Oct. 1 at Florida Int'l W 31-27
Oct. 15 Florida State 3:00pm
Oct. 22 Wake Forest TBA
Oct. 29 Virginia Tech TBA
Nov. 5 at Miami-FL TBA
Nov. 12 at Virginia TBA
Nov. 19 Georgia Tech TBA
Nov. 26 at North Carolina TBA

dukediv2011
10-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Welcome aboard the Blue Devil Express, Devildeac! Bowl bound this season! :cool:

If Duke goes bowling I know what I'll be begging for Christmas from Santa Devildeac! ;)

Reilly
10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
...What part of Virginia's season so far suggests they should be favored over Duke? ....

Whatever part that Sagarin's computer looks at, as his formula would have UVa a 7 point favorite right now ...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt11.htm

Bob Green
10-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Vegas has posted opening odds and Duke is a double digit underdog at 10.5 points:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-10-2011, 12:08 AM
I guess since we didn't play this week we lost our 1 vote. Looking forward to earning it back next week! Go Devils!

towerview road
10-10-2011, 01:18 AM
According to Jerry Palm's CBS Sports 120 rankings, we're currently ranked #63rd, besting FSU (#64), UVA (#70), Miami (#72), NC State (#75), and BC (#110).

I can't remember the last time we were ranked this high.

(see: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/120/index2)

Jim3k
10-10-2011, 02:17 AM
According to Jerry Palm's CBS Sports 120 rankings, we're currently ranked #63rd, besting FSU (#64), UVA (#70), Miami (#72), NC State (#75), and BC (#110).

I can't remember the last time we were ranked this high.

(see: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/120/index2)

I'd guess you are too young, but going into the 1995 Hall of Fame Bowl vs. Wisconsin, the Blue Devils were ranked #25 in the AP poll. The Badgers beat us 34-20, so we didn't stay in the top 25 at the end of the season. And in 1989, going into the All-American Bowl against Texas Tech, we were ranked #20. TT beat us 49-21, and likewise knocked us out of the final poll.

But we have been ranked in recent (OK, not so recent) memory for us oldsters.

And I remember the 1960 Cotton Bowl (we were #10, upsetting #7 Arkansas, 7-6) when I was a freshman, but I'm sure there are some here who remember the 1955 and 1958 Orange Bowls and the 1945 Sugar Bowl. Maybe even one or two are still alive who remember the Rose Bowls, though that seems less likely.

devildeac
10-10-2011, 07:56 AM
If Duke goes bowling I know what I'll be begging for Christmas from Santa Devildeac! ;)

Ho-Ho-Ho.

Making a list and checking it twice.

If Duke goes bowling, I'll have to make some extra room on my sleigh...

davekay1971
10-10-2011, 08:20 AM

I never bet, so I may be way off in terms of professional oddsmakers estimation of favorite, but in college football homefield means a great deal. From what I've seen, Duke is the better team (although UVa gave very credible performances in losses against UNC and Southern Miss). On a neutral field, I'd favor Duke, and at Wallace Wade I'd be very hopful of a Duke win. Playing at UVa, however, I'd give the slight edge to UVa.

jimsumner
10-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I never bet, so I may be way off in terms of professional oddsmakers estimation of favorite, but in college football homefield means a great deal. From what I've seen, Duke is the better team (although UVa gave very credible performances in losses against UNC and Southern Miss). On a neutral field, I'd favor Duke, and at Wallace Wade I'd be very hopful of a Duke win. Playing at UVa, however, I'd give the slight edge to UVa.

A curious stat. Cut has won 12 games at Duke against BCS teams. Seven of those have been on the road; Vanderbilt, Army, NC State, Virginia, Navy, BC and FIU.

A small sample size to be sure, as is the fact that Cut is 3-0 against the 'Hoos. Then again, he's 0-3 against Wake and I'm ready for that to change.

And Roof's only BCS win in his last three seasons was at Northwestern. So, over the last six plus seasons, 8 of Duke's 13 BCS wins have come on the road.

Sometimes, a player would rather play in front of a large, passionate crowd on the road, then a small, dispassionate crowd at home. I've heard some variation of "we had to generate our own enthusiasm" way too often from Duke football players.

Just sayin'.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
A curious stat. Cut has won 12 games at Duke against BCS teams. Seven of those have been on the road; Vanderbilt, Army, NC State, Virginia, Navy, BC and FIU.

A small sample size to be sure, as is the fact that Cut is 3-0 against the 'Hoos. Then again, he's 0-3 against Wake and I'm ready for that to change.

And Roof's only BCS win in his last three seasons was at Northwestern. So, over the last six plus seasons, 8 of Duke's 13 BCS wins have come on the road.

Sometimes, a player would rather play in front of a large, passionate crowd on the road, then a small, dispassionate crowd at home. I've heard some variation of "we had to generate our own enthusiasm" way too often from Duke football players.

Just sayin'.
Jim, what you've described about wins on the road vs wins at home is something I've thought about over the years as the football program has struggled. The adrenaline flow that often is part of a big win has come to from somewhere..... coming from the energy generated by the crowd is preferable to players having to create it within themselves. A turning point for the program will be when the home field becomes a serious advantage for Duke.

Bob Green
10-10-2011, 01:06 PM
The ACC Sports Journal keeps Duke at #9 in this week's power rankings:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/2011101011222/acc-football-power-rankings-oct-10.php

And in Vegas, Duke is now a 12.5 points underdog so I guess the gamblers still like Florida State.

6th Man
10-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Just sayin'.

I've always found the Duke-Wake series interesting when you look at the home-away results:
2010-Duke @ Wake Wake 54 Duke 48 (close game)
2009-Wake @ Duke Wake 45 Duke 34
2008-Duke @ Wake Wake 33 Duke 30 (OT-still pains me)
2007-Wake @ Duke Wake 41 Duke 36 (deceiving score-Wake was up 34-9 in the 3rd qtr.)
2006-Duke @ Wake Wake 14 Duke 13 (infamous field goal block and Wake Orange Bowl)
2005-Wake @ Duke Wake 44 Duke 6
2004-Duke @ Wake Wake 24 Duke 22

I guess we don't win at either place, but it is amazing how much better Duke plays Wake in Winston-Salem. In the last several years of all the ACC games played in Wally Wade, this series is usually the least attended.

I'm with you Jim, it's time to beat Wake.

devildeac
10-10-2011, 01:48 PM
The ACC Sports Journal keeps Duke at #9 in this week's power rankings:

http://www.accsports.com/articles/2011101011222/acc-football-power-rankings-oct-10.php

And in Vegas, Duke is now a 12.5 points underdog so I guess the gamblers still like Florida State.

IIRC, we started out as a 10.5 point 'dog. I like that. Hope it makes us even hungrier. Gotta start beating the big boys sometime. Might as well start this Saturday. LGD!

Hope we start getting some injured players back, too. Bob linked an article elsewhere that said Brian Moore practiced last week and will practice more this week. Apparently, his last practice last week ended with a big smile on his face. Word may not be so good about Snead though. Snyderwine rested some but sounds like he's recovering. I wanna hear some good news about Scott, Cockrell, Butler and Williams, too. We already know Anunike is out for the year and won't be surprised to hear the same about Connette, too, but I've heard no reports since his injury several weeks ago.

jimsumner
10-10-2011, 01:56 PM
IIRC, we started out as a 10.5 point 'dog. I like that. Hope it makes us even hungrier. Gotta start beating the big boys sometime. Might as well start this Saturday. LGD!

Hope we start getting some injured players back, too. Bob linked an article elsewhere that said Brian Moore practiced last week and will practice more this week. Apparently, his last practice last week ended with a big smile on his face. Word may not be so good about Snead though. Snyderwine rested some but sounds like he's recovering. I wanna hear some good news about Scott, Cockrell, Butler and Williams, too. We already know Anunike is out for the year and won't be surprised to hear the same about Connette, too, but I've heard no reports since his injury several weeks ago.

Might be time to start giving consideration to redshirting Snead. The FSU game marks the halfway point of the regular season. Plus, keep in mind that Duke doesn't have a freshman RB, so it would balance the classes.

devildeac
10-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Might be time to start giving consideration to redshirting Snead. The FSU game marks the halfway point of the regular season. Plus, keep in mind that Duke doesn't have a freshman RB, so it would balance the classes.

The article in the Herald-Sun mentioned the 'shirt and that Cut was considering it.

jimsumner
10-10-2011, 02:19 PM
The article in the Herald-Sun mentioned the 'shirt and that Cut was considering it.

My understanding is that Snead very much wants to play. But at some point, the cost-benefit ratio dictates otherwise.

devildeac
10-10-2011, 02:42 PM
My understanding is that Snead very much wants to play. But at some point, the cost-benefit ratio dictates otherwise.

No argument from me. If he's still hurting, then the best decision overall may be to shut him down for the year, let him heal and hopefully return in 2012 at 100%.

Bob Green
10-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Here is a link to the article in the Herald-Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/15984898/article-Back-from-break--Duke-prepares-for-struggling-Florida-State?instance=main_article

Brian Moore returning would be a depth and experience boost for our offensive line, but as was pointed out by one of our resident experts in a previous post in a different thread, Dave Harding will most likely remain the starter at center as he has the most game experience at that position based on the five games he has started and played this season. Moore would be available to play some downs at center, if required, but Harding's experience provides Coach Cutcliffe the option to return Moore to guard.

GoDuke has an audio clip posted with Bob Harris interviewing Coach Cutcliffe:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=1002&id=804358

Wander
10-31-2011, 10:00 PM
OK, with this phase over, time to answer the questions.

Well, football is a sport with a lot of injuries, so I think we stayed relatively unscathed through this phase. However, it became apparent in this three game stretch how much earlier injuries hurt us. More below.

I was interested in how the running game would look with injured guys possibly coming back, and I think we have an answer. The rushing game isn't good, but it's not as bad as it's been in the recent past. Desmond Scott is - and should be - our #1 option, but Juwon Thompson still plays an important role. My personal opinion is that Snead should be redshirted, and I guess it seems like that will happen.

Unfortunately, no. I don't blame him at all, but it's clear how much the injury set him back, and how that's hurt us.

The injury to Anunike really hurt. I think at this point in the season, it is what it is. This is just going to be a big weakness for us this year. The secondary will have more pressure on it, and will have to step up. If they don't (FSU), we have an obvious hole that can be exploited. If they do (Virginia Tech), we still have realistic chances to beat very good teams.

I think we've shown that our improvement after the first two games of the season wasn't simply due to inferior opponents. I'd say the game against VT was Duke's best of the season.

Some might disagree with me here, but I think the answer is a resounding yes. Here's what I wrote a month ago: "If Duke gets routed by FSU after two weeks of preparation, do we still play our best game against Wake Forest? If Duke loses a heartbreaker to Wake (again, ugh), do we still believe we have a shot at Virginia Tech?" Well, Duke got routed by FSU, and still played a good game against Wake. Duke lost a heartbreaker to Wake, and still gave Virginia Tech all it can handle. I think the guys honestly believe they can win against anyone, and it's shown the past two games.

Eh. Let's just say this doesn't matter much anymore, with three of the final four games on the road.