PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Capel

Wildcat
10-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Blue community, I couldn't help but ruminate on a thought this morning as I strolled for my morning walk. Jeff Capel as K's eventual successor. I know it's early and Cape has yet to even appear on a bench as assitant. But the thought was gripping as I specualted what he could do in terms of marketing and recruiting. I don't see Cape getting another major HC opportunity anytime soon. He might be in Durham at just the right time. Just a thought from a true-bluer... Go Duke

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 11:04 AM
There are a number of guys who have come through the program and would make excellent head coaches. Jeff and Chris, whose parents were both coaches, certainly grew up with a great foundation. But whether it be Jeff, Chris, Wojo, Tommy, JD, Mike Brey, Nate, or someone from outside the box -- I am sure it will be a thoughtful decision, and I am sure it will be a difficult seat to sit in.

K doesn't look like he's slowing down, and expansion in a few years gives him a new challenge to move towards.

airowe
10-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Things that will happen 7-8 years from now are things I typically don't think about.

OldPhiKap
10-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Things that will happen 7-8 years from now are things I typically don't think about.

Well, with the world ending in 2012 and all, that's probably a pretty good outlook.

We better get to a bowl and a FF this year.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Blue community, I couldn't help but ruminate on a thought this morning as I strolled for my morning walk. Jeff Capel as K's eventual successor. I know it's early and Cape has yet to even appear on a bench as assitant. But the thought was gripping as I specualted what he could do in terms of marketing and recruiting. I don't see Cape getting another major HC opportunity anytime soon. He might be in Durham at just the right time. Just a thought from a true-bluer... Go Duke
The truth is that there are so many factors which can develop between now and whenever Coach K decides to retire, it's an exercise in fantasy to examine what might be.

Over the years as I've gotten to know various people in both the football and basketball programs, it's become clear that what the fans think is going on may have very little in common with how the people in the program feel or think.

DukeBlueNikeShox
10-01-2011, 07:00 PM
No thanks. What did he do without Blake?! Plus, he was sketchy with Tiny Gallon. It's pretty bad when you get fired by Oklahoma - a school that probably didn't even know they had a basketball team.

dukebballcamper90-91
10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Johnny Dawkins will be next head coach at Duke.

moonpie23
10-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Johnny Dawkins will be next head coach at Duke.

you should bet your house on it....

Azdukefan
10-02-2011, 12:58 AM
No thanks. What did he do without Blake?! Plus, he was sketchy with Tiny Gallon. It's pretty bad when you get fired by Oklahoma - a school that probably didn't even know they had a basketball team.

Or better yet, what did he create at VCU? One would be foolish to overlook the abilities of Capel. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, they would still be an afterthought had Jeff never shown up at VCU. Btw....he has been cleared of any wrongdoing at OU. I'm the leader of the Capel to replace K fan club!

arnie
10-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Or better yet, what did he create at VCU? One would be foolish to overlook the abilities of Capel. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, they would still be an afterthought had Jeff never shown up at VCU. Btw....he has been cleared of any wrongdoing at OU. I'm the leader of the Capel to replace K fan club!

Totally agree on Capel - he has shown an ability to win big: something Dawkins has yet to do! I hope Duke will look outside first and simply not pick the family favorite. I also hope if we decide to choose from the family, we don't do the Guthridge thing and pick the most "loyal" individual.

superdave
10-02-2011, 09:34 AM
you should bet your house on it....

JD is the only name Coach K has ever uttered in this context.

SupaDave
10-02-2011, 09:57 AM
It wouldn't shock me at all if the school also looked at a certain coach at Butler...

And for the record, Capel would have MUCH more to work with at Duke than Oklahoma...

cptnflash
10-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm hoping for Brad Stevens. The timing should work out pretty well.

davekay1971
10-02-2011, 10:19 AM
There are so many reasons this line of thinking is premature (albeit quite natural when one's legendary coach is 64 years old). One, we're probably still a few years away from having to find a new head coach. Two, with the rapidity of movement in the college coaching world, any number of variables could crop up to affect the thinking of who would be the best candidate. Three, the game itself may change in the next few years...between conference realignments, the heating up pay-the-players debate, etc...in ways that would impact candidate selection.

One thing I am absolutely sure of: Coach K will give the program plenty of heads up, probably well before he makes any public announcements, when he decides to hang it up. He's always been a program-first guy, and will make sure to go about retiring in the same manner he's lived his career: with class, intelligence, and in the best long-term interest of Duke basketball. It wouldn't surprise me if we find out who will be replacing Coach K about the same time we find out that Coach K is retiring.

SupaDave
10-02-2011, 10:31 AM
There are so many reasons this line of thinking is premature (albeit quite natural when one's legendary coach is 64 years old). One, we're probably still a few years away from having to find a new head coach. Two, with the rapidity of movement in the college coaching world, any number of variables could crop up to affect the thinking of who would be the best candidate. Three, the game itself may change in the next few years...between conference realignments, the heating up pay-the-players debate, etc...in ways that would impact candidate selection.

One thing I am absolutely sure of: Coach K will give the program plenty of heads up, probably well before he makes any public announcements, when he decides to hang it up. He's always been a program-first guy, and will make sure to go about retiring in the same manner he's lived his career: with class, intelligence, and in the best long-term interest of Duke basketball. It wouldn't surprise me if we find out who will be replacing Coach K about the same time we find out that Coach K is retiring.

To further this, there is no doubt in my mind that Coach K will remain not only involved in the program but with Duke University. He shall reprise the Dean Smith role as a much more active representative of the University through the business school as well as still attending games like his name is John Wooden or something. :)

mo.st.dukie
10-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I think K will coach another decade which would put him at 74 which isn't that old, especially when you compare it to Joe Paterno. To me, if I didn't know he was 64 right now, I would say he was in his fifties. So for that reason it's difficult to make any assumptions on his successor because we have no idea who will be where in 2021. Now if we knew Coach K would be retiring in the next 4 years I'd say Capel or Dawkins would be a good hires but Brad Stevens or Sean Miller would be homeruns. Capel and Dawkins understand what it means to be Duke and would have the program competitive year in and year out. But Stevens or Miller would have Duke competing for National Championships every year and dominating recruiting.

ACCBBallFan
10-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Is it coincidence that Johnny Dawkins goes to Stanford and now they are undefeated top 10 in football. Duke may still get to that bowl game some day.

:o

BTW, you really think it was coincidence that Greg Paulus played a year at QB for Cuse and is now the video editor at Notre Dame. Bodes well for expansion having him as the advanced scout.

:cool:

These two are as likely as coach K leaving Duke any time soon.

I'll save my 20-20 speculation until year 2020 when coach K in about 73 years old.

SilkyJ
10-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm hoping for Brad Stevens. The timing should work out pretty well.

How so? What's happened 8 years from now with Coach Stevens that will make the timing work?

msdukie
10-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Why does everyone keep forgetting that Nike funded the K Lab to ensure that the proper technology exists for the K Android to be perfected by the time K retires?

NSDukeFan
10-03-2011, 08:22 AM
I believe Wojo has a couple of kids who may be ready to take over for coach K when he retires in 2040, or is that wishful thinking?

Cameron
10-03-2011, 08:38 PM
If I may add something of relevance, if Duke were to select a successor outside of the Blue Devil family -- which I very seriously doubt will happen if Coach K has anything to do with the ultimate hiring, and it has already been reported that he will -- I do really like the suggestion of Brad Stevens. Obviously, a lot of determining factors can occur over the course of seven or eight years (when I suspect Coach K will call it quits) that may make such a hire unattainable or no longer viable, but in just four seasons at the helm of Butler Stevens has propelled the tiny private school to four conference titles, an .825 winning percentage (117 victories versus 25 losses) and multiple national championship game appearances. And, as famously displayed at the emotional conclusion of the 2010 NCAA final, Stevens' demeanor and coaching makeup compares very favorably to the stoic and almost celestial nature of Coach K.

Simply put, Stevens is a star. We'd have an aversion to success if we didn't enter Stevens' name into the mix if he's still enjoying such brilliant on and off the court wealth and available at the time of our search.

licc85
10-03-2011, 09:23 PM
As awesome as our coaches are, we need someone with proven ability to reach multiple final fours to step into a legend's shoes. I'm still holding out for brad stevens.

sagegrouse
10-03-2011, 10:51 PM
As awesome as our coaches are, we need someone with proven ability to reach multiple final fours to step into a legend's shoes. I'm still holding out for brad stevens.

This is always an interesting thread. Especially, since it so hypothetical. Fer instance, when is K likely to retire? IMHO (where the H is silent) not as long as he can still get it done. I mean, he's not doing it for the money, but......... there is the money. So, he (and we) may be dependent on the vagaries of his health. Keepin' my fingers crossed (and K is younger than Ol' Sage here).

The other hypothetical is the possible failure of the successor. The record in replacing legends ain't so spectacular: Gene Bartow following the Wizard of Westwood; Mike Davis following Knight; my PE coach Bucky Waters following Bubas; Coach Gut's following Dean worked OK on the court but lousy on the recruiting trail and Coach D'Oh was an unmitigated disaster; Jt Jr. begat the forgettable Craig Esherick before JT III showed up to right the ship. (Wright the ship? Write the ship? Whatever.)

I can't even remember who succeeded Carnesecca at St. John's or Massimino at Villanova (although Rollie attempted to replace Tark the Shark, and it didn't work out so well). We still get to see who replaces Calhoun and Boeheim, both older than K.

A couple went OK: Joe B. following Baron Rupp; Bill Self taking over from Ol' Roy (who was not really a legend). Anyway, no one is going to turn down the job, but there is clearly risk.

Here's my speculative bet if K stays 4-5 years and then retires -- Tommy Amaker. He is getting it done at a school which has never won anything. He'll probably stay there until Duke calls. When your employer has a $27 billion endowment and you're the poster boy for the resurgence of Harvard athletics (which, by the way, seems to be a priority in Cambridge), I think it can meet your price and maybe even give you a new gym.

sagegrouse
'Stirring the pot'