PDA

View Full Version : Home Page problems with Internet Explorer

BlueDevilBaby
09-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Is anyone else having trouble seeing it? Just the top part with the links loads and I get an "error on page" message. I am going through withdrawal here.

grannyduke
09-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Is anyone else having trouble seeing it? Just the top part with the links loads and I get an "error on page" message. I am going through withdrawal here.

Yes. I get the Blue Devil Report Banner and the Old Spice ad below it. The rest of the page is blank black. I get no message. If I switch from Explorer to Chrome it works just fine. Explorer works just fine on my husband's computer. This just started today I think.

devil84
09-30-2011, 06:44 PM
We're looking into the problem. I've been unable to replicate the problem using Firefox 5 and IE 9. If you don't mind, could you let me know what browser and version you're using that has the problem?

grannyduke
09-30-2011, 07:54 PM
We're looking into the problem. I've been unable to replicate the problem using Firefox 5 and IE 9. If you don't mind, could you let me know what browser and version you're using that has the problem?

I have just solved the problem in Internet Explorer 9 by clicking the the compatability icon in the address bar. It says this is to be used for pages written for older browser. Icon is in the shape of a broken page next to the refresh icon.

-jk
09-30-2011, 09:17 PM
We're still getting a few people reporting this problem.

If anyone having trouble with the home page (the main DBR, not the board) can report here which browser and which version, I'd appreciate it.

And if it's IE and turning on compatibility works, that'd be helpful, too.

thanks,

-jk

Newton_14
09-30-2011, 10:02 PM
We're still getting a few people reporting this problem.

If anyone having trouble with the home page (the main DBR, not the board) can report here which browser and which version, I'd appreciate it.

And if it's IE and turning on compatibility works, that'd be helpful, too.

thanks,

-jk

I am still seeing the issue using IE 8.0. Been like this a couple of days now.

moonpie23
09-30-2011, 10:04 PM
all fine on safari...

-jk
09-30-2011, 10:18 PM
I can toggle the problem in Internet Explorer 9 with Compatibility View, and the problem is visible when Compatibility View is enabled.

You can toggle it from Tools (Alt-T if the menu bar is hidden), Compatibility View

Or click the Compatibility View button on the Address bar - it's to the right of the address line, and looks like a box with a jagged line across it.

-jk

ricks68
09-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I can't get it even when using compatibility mode in IE 7 here at home or IE 8 at home, or IE 8 at work---all day today.

I can get the boards, however, like everyone else.
:(:(:(
ricks

-jk
09-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I can't get it even when using compatibility mode in IE 7 here at home or IE 8 at home, or IE 8 at work---all day today.

ricks

Have you turned off compatibility mode? That's what does it on my IE9.

-jk

killerleft
09-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I am still seeing the issue using IE 8.0. Been like this a couple of days now.

Same here, IE 8.0. Both at home and at work!

-jk
09-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I was able to test in IE8, and the problem exhibited whether I was in compatibility mode or not.

If you don't yet have Mozilla Firefox (www.firefox.com) or Google Chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome), this might be a good time to try one while we try to resolve this.

Thanks for your patience!

-jk

DukeUsul
09-30-2011, 10:45 PM
The javascript is erroring at line 80, saying textLayer is null or not an object.

77 if(document.all){
78 // thisbrowser="ie"
79 textLayer = document.all["text"];
80 textLayer.innerHTML=msgstring;
81 }

This tells me that line 79 is failing to find an element called "text" and therefore is setting textLayer to null. Reading up a bit more, it appears that this method for determining if a browser is IE (testing the document.all method) is ancient and is only necessary for compatibility with IE4. All more recent versions of IE support document.getElementByID, which is used starting on line 82. There's some really ancient code in here.

http://javascript.about.com/od/hintsandtips/a/worst_4.htm

I do however see a refernce to an element named "text" at line 474. So I'm not sure why it's failing to find it. I do think it would be worth a try to remove that whole block of code from 78-81 - unless you need to support IE4 (you don't) the next block of code that uses getElementById should work. Note the recommendation in the linked article, that the support for document.getElementById should be done before a check for document.all, since it will then use the getElementByID method for all modern versions of IE and only use document.all for ancient ones.

-jk
09-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks. Fortunately, we made a decision to completely abandon anyone using pre-IE6, and partially IE6 itself, too. Unfortunately, I think all the scripts are generated on the fly by the wordpress blog engine, so I'm not sure they'll be able to find it that way.

I'll pass it on to the programmers, though.

Thanks for the find.

-jk

ricks68
10-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Have you turned off compatibility mode? That's what does it on my IE9.

-jk

I tried it with and without compatibility mode and it still doesn't work, but then, I do not have IE 9. I have complete confidence that ya'll will figure this one out, as you have always come through in the past. So, I will give you the best feedback I can and just wait it out. I can still get to the boards, so I'm O.K. for now.

ricks

gep
10-01-2011, 12:16 AM
I use FireFox and Chrome almost exclusively... exclusively for DBR... and have no problems. I just tried IE8 on my Win7 laptop (without any tweaks) and the problem occurs. Only the banner and the ad. I also just tried it on IE7 on my WinXP SP3 computer (without any tweaks)... no problems.

grannyduke
10-01-2011, 02:55 AM
I can no longer trigger the problem whether compatibility mode is on or off in IE9. Looks like you fixed something.
Thanks for the dedicated work.

Newton_14
10-01-2011, 08:08 AM
I am using IE 8 again this morning and I can now see the front page just fine. Whatever you did worked.

Thanks!

ThePublisher
10-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Might I take this opportunity to tell everyone to install Firefox internet browser from www.firefox.com. Its so much faster, more secure and more customizable than IE.

And best of all, it displays DBR flawlessly!

Faustus
10-01-2011, 11:10 AM
-jk,
Working fine for me this morning (still an old i-8 user who should probably update anyway) and it was not working yesterday, so things do see to be fixed. Thanks!

airowe
10-01-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm really surprised this many people still use Internet Explorer.

Faustus
10-01-2011, 11:31 AM
We're just old geezers who don't know any better; like chimps we just keep pushing the same button that (usually) worked last time...:)

Rich
10-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm really surprised this many people still use Internet Explorer.

I work for a large pharma company and don't have a choice. Various internal programs require use of IE. I've tried to use FireFox for ordinary browsing and IE for the work stuff, but it just got to be too cumbersome.

ricks68
10-01-2011, 02:46 PM

ricks

I am good now at home, so I also expect to be also good at work when I get back. Thanks for your great service keeping up your website. :) DBR #1,

ricks

Richard Berg
10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks for fixing, DBR!

Might I take this opportunity to tell everyone to install Firefox internet browser from www.firefox.com. Its so much faster, more secure and more customizable than IE.
MS did a great disservice letting the world stagnate at IE6 for so long. Firefox deserves major credit for jolting them back to life. But as a software project, there's not much to recommend on its own merits. Memory hog, no process isolation, no OS sandboxing, slower JS interpreter, no enterprise deployment/management, plugin API that breaks back-compat every 6 weeks.

(at least it's better than Safari)

If you need an IE alternative, Chrome is much better engineered.

killerleft
10-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks! IE is working fine, now!

ArnieMc
10-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm really surprised this many people still use Internet Explorer.Until last Thursday, I used Netscape exclusively.

moonpie23
10-02-2011, 01:20 PM
apple = borg

you will be assimilated.

Richard Berg
10-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Until last Thursday, I used Netscape exclusively.
Only Lynx for me. Get off my lawn, Mosaic!

smvalkyries
10-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Not by choice but some of us have to deal with the damn government and it is a pain to keep switching browsers. Firefox is far better but it does require better programming than i.e. hence it usually does not work on government sites.

DrChainsaw
10-03-2011, 06:03 AM
IE 7
Windows XP

Can't get front page or headlines to display.

Top banner & forum display fine.

Cheers.

whereinthehellami
10-03-2011, 08:35 AM
apple = borg

you will be assimilated.

Bad comparison. The Borg was dominant. Apple is more like the noisy ankle biting chihuahua your neighbor has but doesn't really want. Apple doesn't do half the things that i use my PC for.

Highlander
10-03-2011, 09:08 AM
IE 7
Windows XP

Cheers.

Same symptoms here.
IE 8
Windows XP Pro.

Compatibility mode button doesn't fix.

As to why I use IE, try using SharePoint via FireFox and compare that to IE, and you'll know why.

gus
10-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Same symptoms here.
IE 8
Windows XP Pro.

Compatibility mode button doesn't fix.

As to why I use IE, try using SharePoint via FireFox and compare that to IE, and you'll know why.

Same story here.

IE 8.06
XP Pro

Seattledukie
10-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Windows 7
IE9

Having the same issues - banner loads, the rest of the page takes a long time to show up.

-jk
10-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I suspect the ad server is generating some troublesome code.

I'll keep looking into it.

Thanks for your patience.

-jk

jrb3
10-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Bad comparison. The Borg was dominant. Apple is more like the noisy ankle biting chihuahua your neighbor has but doesn't really want. Apple doesn't do half the things that i use my PC for.

I'd love to hear a couple of examples.

Rich
10-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks! IE is working fine, now!

They force us to use IE7 at work and I am still having the same problems as those reported. I sent a PM to JK. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Lid
10-03-2011, 10:14 AM
IE 8, Win 7. I'm still having the same problem as everyone else.

Put me in the camp who has to use IE at work. The only other option is not to check DBR during the day. Please!

eta: compatibility mode doesn't make any difference for me. Also, could someone post the link to the headlines page here? I know the main page linked it a few days ago, but I can't *get* to the main page to try it now.

-jk
10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
As far as I can tell, they are sending something in some ads (first the old spice one, now the coach one) that has compatibility problems for users with IE prior to version 9. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with any other browser.

While we try to make it go away permanently and if you're stuck in IE, you may be able to view it in the Google Webpage Mobilizer (http://www.google.com/gwt/x?noimg=1&wsc=yq&wsi=c8ce05cf3e30c037&source=wax&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dukebasketballreport.com/&ei=68CJTsXyIJDuwwXv4oTiBw) tool. (Once it said "open or save x"; I hit cancel and it kept working. YMMV.)

-jk

gus
10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I'd love to hear a couple of examples.

Perhaps whereinthehellami makes a living writing anti-virus code.

Kimist
10-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Everything is (currently) working fine, regardless of the on/off setting of the IE compatibility button.

HOWEVER - I think I sense what might be going on:

I am receiving, from an increasing number of web sites, a "warning" that their web pages are no longer compatible with IE 6.

Of course, I am currently running IE 8.0.6001.18702IC (or at least that is what is showing using the Help pull-down menu on my browser).

At least twice I have "reinstalled" IE 8 using the Microsoft web site download, with the same results. My computer says IE 8 is installed, but some web pages are telling me I am still using IE 6.

FWIW: I am running Win XP SP3, and there may be some issues as to what can/cannot now be "uninstalled" from earlier versions.

Any computer gurus out there to help? My guess is that, perhaps, DBR is sensing I am using IE 6 when I am (perhaps?) using IE 8.

(Yes, I do have Firefox installed but as others have mentioned - at times I need a functioning IE browser instead.)

Thanks for any input.

k

duke79
10-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Yea, the home page is not opening fully for me this morning. Only the top banner opens. I am using IE and Windows Vista Home Premium on my work laptop. I'm not sure which version of IE I am using. I hate to show my technology ignorance, but how do tell which version of IE you are using? I had troubles last week but was working fine over the weekend.

killerleft
10-03-2011, 10:41 AM
IE 7
Windows XP

Cheers.

Uh-oh, I have IE 7 at work and still no front page, either.

JimBD
10-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Have had no previous problems. Now, having the same problem others are mentioning at three different locations with three different computers. I assume something is going on at your site since so many people who never had a problem before are now experiencing the same problem.

-jk
10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
A repost for folks who missed it in the prior page:

As far as I can tell, they are sending something in some ads (first the old spice one, now the coach one) that has compatibility problems for users with IE prior to version 9. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with any other browser.

While we try to make it go away permanently and if you're stuck in IE, you may be able to view it in the Google Webpage Mobilizer (http://www.google.com/gwt/x?noimg=1&wsc=yq&wsi=c8ce05cf3e30c037&source=wax&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dukebasketballreport.com/&ei=68CJTsXyIJDuwwXv4oTiBw) tool. (Once it said "open or save x"; I hit cancel and it kept working. YMMV.)

-jk

monkey
10-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Still having problems seeing anything beyond the DBR logo at top plus the top banner ad (can't access any of the links across the top either, to open headlines, e.g.). This is true whether compatibility mode is on or off. I'm using IE version 8.0.6001.18702

Fish80
10-03-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm having the Explorer problems with the home page, too. But I can read it on my blackberry!

Faustus
10-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Working for me fine right now (an IE8 user) and this morning it again wasn't. Thanks! Jeff Mullins too - isn't that Hack Tyson with the screen?

-jk
10-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Our programmers report they think they've fixed the problem.

Please let me know if you still see it.

Thanks,

-jk

Lid
10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Our programmers report they think they've fixed the problem.

Please let me know if you still see it.

Thanks,

-jk

As of a few minutes ago, it's working for me now. Thank you!

Rich
10-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Yea, the home page is not opening fully for me this morning. Only the top banner opens. I am using IE and Windows Vista Home Premium on my work laptop. I'm not sure which version of IE I am using. I hate to show my technology ignorance, but how do tell which version of IE you are using? I had troubles last week but was working fine over the weekend.

Top of screen click on Help -> About Internet Explorer

duke79
10-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Top of screen click on Help -> About Internet Explorer

Thanks, that works. I'm using 9.0.8112 - not sure if that is the latest version.

I can NOW see the full home page but when I click on any of the stories on the left, I get the blank page with just the banner on top. UGH !!!

-jk
10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks, that works. I'm using 9.0.8112 - not sure if that is the latest version.

I can NOW see the full home page but when I click on any of the stories on the left, I get the blank page with just the banner on top. UGH !!!

First off, if you have IE9, turn off compatibility mode amd your problem should go away.
Click Tools > Compatibilty mode.

Ctrl-T to get to tools if the menu isn't showing..

I'm away from a computer just now - is anyone else seeing the problem on article pages rather than the front page?

Thanks,

-jk

rasputin
10-03-2011, 02:12 PM
First off, if you have IE9, turn off compatibility mode amd your problem should go away.
Click Tools > Compatibilty mode.

Ctrl-T to get to tools if the menu isn't showing..

I'm away from a computer just now - is anyone else seeing the problem on article pages rather than the front page?

Thanks,

-jk

I can get to the front page (which I couldn't do before) but still when you click on an article, there's nothing there.

monkey
10-03-2011, 02:18 PM
I can get to the front page (which I couldn't do before) but still when you click on an article, there's nothing there.

Same here, except for the DBR logo and the top banner ad of course. I note that the front page work around seems to have removed the top banner ad while it still exists in the pages with the articles, so this may be the difference. Note no change whether in compatability view mode or not.

killerleft
10-03-2011, 02:22 PM

This is my current experience, as well. IE 8 at work, Win XP.

-jk
10-03-2011, 03:19 PM
we're still poking at the problem.

If you have IE8 or earlier, can you post the link of any page that doesn't display?

If you have IE9 and see the problem, can you make sure you have compatibility mode turned off?

Thanks,

-jk

Highlander
10-03-2011, 04:30 PM
we're still poking at the problem.

If you have IE8 or earlier, can you post the link of any page that doesn't display?

If you have IE9 and see the problem, can you make sure you have compatibility mode turned off?

Thanks,

-jk

No longer seeing the problem on any page, but I am also not seeing any ads (not that I mind that :). Earlier today I saw it on all pages, then on all pages except the homepage. Each time I had the Old Spice or the Coaching ad present.
Using IE8 on WinXP.

DrChainsaw
10-03-2011, 04:32 PM
IE 7
Windows XP

Not working this AM, but working fine now.

Thanks! Even during football season I was jonesin' for my DBR.

killerleft
10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Everything is working fine now, even the ads! Thanks, DBR!

That's on IE 8.

Kimist
10-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I am running Win XP with IE 8 (or is it really still IE 6?? :rolleyes: )

The DBR main page et al is currently working fine, HOWEVER I've noted a couple of ads (to include one at the top of this page as I'm typing!!) are getting blocked. Some, but not all, ads on the main page underneath DBRQuotes on the right side of the page show the same display.

Message is along lines of "Website blocked by Trend Micro Internet Security Pro --- Opening this website may put your security at risk"

Web link being flagged is (or at least starts with) : http://bn.xp1.ru4.com/nf?_pnot

Is there a possibility some not-malicious but at least bothersome/unknown cookies are being dropped???

k

Indoor66
10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
I just checked my IE 8 (I have been on FireFox 7.0) and everything was Fine on the front page.

Kimist
10-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Copied from main page ~5:25 pm EDT. FWIW, the "settings" on my antivirus software have not been recently altered in any way.

k

The website you wanted to see might transmit malicious software to your computer, or has done that before to someone else. It may also show signs of involvement in online scams or fraud.

Because you have set your Protection Against Web Threats to "High," all websites not yet checked by Trend Micro have been blocked for your protection.

Address: http://bn.xp1.ru4.com/nf?_pnot=0&_tpc=&_wp=1.25&_nv=1&_CDbg=31036907&_eo=52787&_sm=0&_nm=FgAAAAAAAABzZXJpYWxpemF0aW9uOjphcmNoaXZlBQQIBA gBAAAAAAEBAAEAAAAAAOuV2QEAAAAAyG7ZAQAAAACXkxsAAAAA AGuW2QEAAAAAMXHZAQAAAAAycdkBAAAAAL1CKUIAAAAAAAAEQA AAAAAAAAAAM84AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADPOAAAAAAAAJAAAAAAA AAA1MGRlMWFmOC00NjA0LTQxZDUtYmIwOS1jNmVkYmIwZTlmYm QAAAAAAAAAABQAAAAAAAAAQVMtMDAwMDAwMDE0OTY5MzMwNTMN AAAAAAAAADk4LjY5LjE4My4xNzYHAAAAAAAAADE2MHg2MDAkAA AAAAAAAGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuZHVrZWJhc2tldGJhbGxyZXBvcnQu Y29tLw4AAAAAAAAANTUyXjIyNV4yMDk2

Rating: Dangerous

JimBD
10-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Have had no previous problems. Now, having the same problem others are mentioning at three different locations with three different computers. I assume something is going on at your site since so many people who never had a problem before are now experiencing the same problem.

Now working fine on all three computers. Thanks.

monkey
10-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Now working with the work around in place on the IE 8 computer at my work, including being able to click on the links from the front page. No ads on either the front page or the linked pages seems to make it work. I'm interested in how this was achieved (insofar as I know the ads show up if I'm looking at the pages on my iPhone) - I suppose done by sensing the type of web browser. Hope this doesn't cut too much into the DBR ad revenue...